Author Topic: Siglent SPD3303X-E Binding Post Issues - Solved  (Read 1728 times)

Online bsudbrink

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SPD3303X-E Binding Post Issues - Solved
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2018, 09:19:51 am »
With the generosity of Gandalf_Sr, I replaced the binding posts on my SPD3303X-E.  I figured I would put up a few pictures because I know people like to look.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2018, 10:07:26 am »
So, were those binding posts better than the ones you had?

The following users thanked this post: bsudbrink

Online bsudbrink

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2018, 11:51:32 am »
So, were those binding posts better than the ones you had?

Yes, very much.  Thanks!

Online bsudbrink

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2018, 12:00:44 pm »
Now that I have a spare set to play with, I think I will try filing 4 or so millimeters off the end of my originals and see how that works.  The color goes in, not that the color really matters, and if I get a relatively clean even cut, I bet an application of acetone would shine them right up.

Offline Elasia

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2018, 01:08:35 pm »
Now that I have a spare set to play with, I think I will try filing 4 or so millimeters off the end of my originals and see how that works.  The color goes in, not that the color really matters, and if I get a relatively clean even cut, I bet an application of acetone would shine them right up.

I've been thinking about that myself.  If you do it, some pics and results would be nice!

Offline Elasia

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2018, 10:30:14 am »
Just got these in from banggood and they work like a champ.. really nice fit.  I actually got them to use as plugs for my speakers instead but they work great on this too

https://www.banggood.com/DANIU-P3008-10Pcs-4mm-Copper-Banana-Plug-Jack-Speaker-Amplifier-Test-Probes-Connector-p-1109354.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=USA

The wire end could be a bit better but nothing some solder cant fix

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2018, 10:37:08 am »
Just got these in from banggood and they work like a champ.. really nice fit.  I actually got them to use as plugs for my speakers instead but they work great on this too

https://www.banggood.com/DANIU-P3008-10Pcs-4mm-Copper-Banana-Plug-Jack-Speaker-Amplifier-Test-Probes-Connector-p-1109354.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=USA

:)
Yep, note the pin length nearly 1/2 way down that page.....some 23mm !  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist & NZ Siglent Distributor

Offline Elasia

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2018, 11:58:49 am »

:)
Yep, note the pin length nearly 1/2 way down that page.....some 23mm !  :-+

Yeah I think i spent an hour looking on the internet for something that would match Siglent's females lol  and then if they didnt.. who cares i needed em for my speakers anyway

I think the side hole is a cool feature too.. check out the cheapie I stuffed into it.. its tight too... using these plugs might be a much more cost effective way to deal with their posts.  But you can see from the pic, the wire space is not the greatest.. i'll need to wire clean it and glob some flux in to get it to suck itself down.. just isnt much there to work with :(  Does come with a cheesy tiny set screw..  no free lunch.

Edit: holy shit i made this image way to big by mistake lol
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 12:01:35 pm by Elasia »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Starting with DLL21
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2018, 07:30:20 pm »

They looks like very poor copycat of Hirschmann Buela 30 K (what original is also rated for 30A). Specially I look these spring wires. Perhaps they are not right material and also when look shape it looks like they do not have right spring force bias (what is difficult if material is soft)  But of course still works (least when they are new) lot of better than "what ever el cheapo"  american style plugs (american style = short plug) what we have seen lot of in some pictures around this binding post case.

This is designed more like for European type long banana plug. Banana was originally launched 1924 by Richard Hirschmann GmbH & Co and also General Radio introduced same kind of plug known as type 274 for america around same time.
Gen Rad 1963 Vol 37 No. 12:
..."banana" plug, introduced in this country by GR in 1924 and manufactured ever since by us as the TYPE 274 Pug.
  And these Genrad plugs are really short.

Suitable models here:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-spd3303x-e-binding-post-issues-solved/msg1446025/#msg1446025

It is really pity in electronics world that lack of standards is very common. There is not any real common standards for banana plug. There is american style and european style and all bewtween these and outside of these.  If I do different I'm not wrong. All can do what ever binding posts and plugs and name it "banana plug". No real standards. Yes there are some common practices, one is dimension around 4mm (without anything about tolerances) and for double plug pitch 3/4 inch from Genrad.

If practice and theory is not equal it tells that used application of theory  is wrong or the theory itself is wrong.
It is much easier to think an apple fall to the ground than to think that the earth and the apple will begin to move toward each other and collide.

The following users thanked this post: Elasia

Offline Elasia

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2018, 12:03:07 am »
Yeah I'll end up most likely importing some genuine Hirschmann ones for more precision work if i dont just use the post clamp itself. Newark wants to import from their UK warehouse and slap an over priced shipping fee on it and i didnt need them that bad for the primary reason I actually ordered them which was to use on my avr/speakers.

These knock offs good enough for now

Offline mojoe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2018, 03:10:35 pm »
I just received an SPD3303X yesterday from Saelig which I ordered after confirming with them that their units in stock have the newer posts.

I have played with it using a couple flavours of Pomona leads and they fit snugly.  I tried a set of Cal Test leads and they did not insert well at all but work fine with my Rigol DP832A.

I guess the current posts are usable but fussy.

I just installed new binding posts on my two Siglent supplies (posted about it yesterday). I also have Cal Test leads with the spring-loaded plastic shrouds. I find that the banana plugs go almost all the way in with minimal force. If more force is applied, they insert that last little bit, and the fit is very solid.

You know the Engineer's rule, "If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway." :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf