Author Topic: Siglent SPD3303X-E  (Read 40076 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SPD3303X-E
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2017, 10:52:14 pm »
Here's something I just noticed, running the 1.01.01.02.01R3 firmware, my SPD3303X-E turned off the display after some time being inactive (maybe 20 minutes).  Not sure if this is configurable, but it looks like burn in definitely isn't an issue if it's doing that.
In the latest FW the screensaver has been removed and it's listed as so in the changelog:
http://siglentamerica.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=5052&tid=15
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2017, 01:36:56 pm »
Does anyone know of a programming guide for the SPD3303X-E? The QSG has a limited set of SCPI commands in it, but I was wondering if the power supply supports a more comprehensive set of commands.

Any help appreciated.

John
"Reality is that which, when you quit believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick (RIP).

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2017, 07:40:07 am »
Does anyone know of a programming guide for the SPD3303X-E? The QSG has a limited set of SCPI commands in it, but I was wondering if the power supply supports a more comprehensive set of commands.

Any help appreciated.

John
Not apparently.
The same set of commands in the Quick Start guide is listed in the User manual too and questions on this to the factory have only returned what you already know.
I'll post again if more info comes to light.

BTW, can you make a list of the remote functionality you'd like to see added into the command set.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2017, 01:02:57 pm »
BTW, can you make a list of the remote functionality you'd like to see added into the command set.

It would be nice to have the following. It's not a huge problem, but they are common SCPI commands.

*RST
*CLR

And, can anything be done remotely on Chan 3 output? If so, what?

Finally, do they ever plan to fix the long response delay?

Thanks,
John
"Reality is that which, when you quit believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick (RIP).

Siglent America

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2017, 01:27:32 pm »

It would be nice to have the following. It's not a huge problem, but they are common SCPI commands.

*RST
*CLR

And, can anything be done remotely on Chan 3 output? If so, what?

Finally, do they ever plan to fix the long response delay?

Thanks,
John

Hello John G.
We did add a remote ON/OFF to Channel C a while back.

The only commands supported can be found on Page 28 of the Quick Start Guide.
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Documents/QuickStart/SPD3303X_QuickStart_QS0503X-E01B.pdf

They are
1. *IDN?
2. *SAV
3. *RCL
4. INSTrument Subsystem
5. MEASure Subsystem
6. CURRent Subsystem
7. VOLTage Subsystem
8. OUTPut Subsystem
9. TIMEr Subsystem
10. SYSTem Subsystem
11. IPaddr Subsystem
12. MASKaddr Subsystem
13. GATEaddr Subsystem
14. DHCP Subsystem

Information on each command starts on the next page of the guide.

The SPD's don't have much buffer space so we recommend starting with a wait state of at least 20 msec between commands.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:59:52 pm by Siglent America »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2017, 03:05:40 am »
New firmware for the X and the X-E PSU's.

Version: v1.01.01.02.05
~680 KB
Be sure to pick the correct version as they are slightly different in KB size.

https://www.siglentamerica.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/dc-power-supplies/#spd3303xx-e-series

Changelog
1.   Add Socket interface support.
2.   Repaired bug in the LAN interface function
3.   Restrict the total output voltage in the serial mode not to exceed 60V in order to satisfy the requirements of TUV.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline shiftdelete

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2018, 01:38:50 am »
Thank you, phs.

We are trying to find the time to do some more things here in the North American office with Python, Excel, etc. We know that different people have different needs. One of our customers last week (He maintains AM radio stations) wanted an easier way to draw go/no-go masks for his multiple AM frequencies without having redraw them point by point. So we wrote him a script in Python and he is very happy with it.
The factory is going to add our script to the existing EasySpectrum software.

Although we can't promise to write a script for every customer that needs one, we do try to be as helpful as we can.
Thanks again.

It's quite refreshing to see a company like Siglent commit resources to helping customers with unique needs such as this. It speaks volumes to customer and product commitment.

In addition to the SDS 1202X-E I picked up a few months back, I just dropped an order for this PSU (SPD3303X-E) from Amazon.

A big thanks to this community for all these posts as well as Siglent for helping and being engaged.

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2018, 08:00:02 pm »
I'm deciding on an intelligent bench PSU.  This one seems to fit the bill with price and performance.  What are the alternatives, just to check out before I buy?  Looked at the Rigol DP832 but anything else worth looking for?

The use will be wide and varied! Experimentation/design stuff etc

Offline Gandalf_SrTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2018, 10:41:39 pm »
I've managed to brick mine during a firmware upgrade; the Siglent Easypower software crashed on my Windows 10, 64 bit PC and left my SPD3303X-E stuck at 7% upgrade - now it won't power up, blank screen and all buttons lit up.

I've emailed Siglent and posted on their support forum.  Anyone know if there's a simple way to recover it?  I do have JTAG programmers so maybe there's a way to apply firmware via the JTAG connector?
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2018, 06:20:22 am »
I've managed to brick mine during a firmware upgrade; the Siglent Easypower software crashed on my Windows 10, 64 bit PC and left my SPD3303X-E stuck at 7% upgrade - now it won't power up, blank screen and all buttons lit up.

I've emailed Siglent and posted on their support forum.  Anyone know if there's a simple way to recover it?  I do have JTAG programmers so maybe there's a way to apply firmware via the JTAG connector?
Please try this procedure from the Quick Start guide:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Documents/QuickStart/SPD3303X_QuickStart_QS0503X-E01B.pdf

P25, Upgrade Via Guide Procedure.

The US Siglent guys have been asked to contact you.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2018, 08:34:58 am »
Gandalf_Sr's reported in this post that the binding posts were not lose:
<snipped>

[EDIT1]
Well it arrived, the box looks like an Elephant sat on it sideways but the PSU was OK inside.  The binding posts are not loose, the software is Vn 1.01.01.02.02R2 (which does show the set voltage separately but not sure if it's the latest - I have a downloaded file that's named SPD3303X-E-Firmware-V100R001B01D02P03), and the Hardware is Vn 3.0.  I haven't tested for the static thing yet.

BUT further use identified problems with some banana plug configurations in the stock SPD3303X/X-E binding posts so he's offered a solution for those with problematic (short) banana plugs comprising of a simple modification to the binding posts to allow deeper insertion of a short plug.

Suggested solution and discussion here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-spd3303x-e-binding-post-issues-solved/
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:45:40 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2018, 09:35:18 am »

Thanks, that worked, PSU is un-bricked... who knew the answer was in the manual? Not me ;D

[EDIT] The solution is, press the button while powering on and then the PSU enters a special firmware mode, the USB works and you can apply new firmware using easypower but you must select the "Firmware Mode" radio button when doing so.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:56:19 am by Gandalf_Sr »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2018, 09:46:43 am »

Thanks, that worked, PSU is un-bricked... who knew the answer was in the manual? Not me ;D
We know !
You didn't read the update instructions, did you ?  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2018, 09:49:54 am »
It's true that when I first got the SPD3303X-E, I thought the binding posts worked OK but after using it for several weeks, I found that certain banana plugs would drop out of the binding posts with the slightest movement of the cable, I also discovered that, if you use a spade connector, the binding post becomes almost unusable - the plugs won't grip at all.  The link Tautech has given is indeed my suggested, tried, and tested way to allow you to use what are clearly inferior banana plugs with the SPD3303X-E because the binding posts fitted to it cannot be improved upon because they are in fact, awsomely superb, expensive etc and Siglent is infallible.  This is the gospel according to Tautech.

C'mon Tautech, I haven't provided the data for that thread yet but I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken that there's no room for improvement regarding the choice of binding posts for the SPD3303X-E, I wasn't even the one who raised "the binding post issue" in the first place, others have made the observation prior to me.

Peace man and thanks for the help on de-bricking.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2018, 09:51:52 am »
We know !
You didn't read the update instructions, did you ?  :P
Guilty as charged but I have a plea of mitigation, I had eye surgery 1 week ago today.

Remember EEs, RTFM!

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2018, 10:02:40 am »
It's true that when I first got the SPD3303X-E, I thought the binding posts worked OK but after using it for several weeks, I found that certain banana plugs would drop out of the binding posts with the slightest movement of the cable, I also discovered that, if you use a spade connector, the binding post becomes almost unusable - the plugs won't grip at all.  The link Tautech has given is indeed my suggested, tried, and tested way to allow you to use what are clearly inferior banana plugs with the SPD3303X-E because the binding posts fitted to it cannot be improved upon because they are in fact, awsomely superb, expensive etc and Siglent is infallible.  This is the gospel according to Tautech.

C'mon Tautech, I haven't provided the data for that thread yet but I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken that there's no room for improvement regarding the choice of binding posts for the SPD3303X-E, I wasn't even the one who raised "the binding post issue" in the first place, others have made the observation prior to me.

Peace man and thanks for the help on de-bricking.
Not so Ted, not at all !

I'm only seeking quality info that can help Siglent improve products, nothing more !

Rob
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 07:15:50 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2018, 10:33:18 am »
I can/will provide it but I need more time due to my bad eye.  I took some pictures yesterday but ran out of steam.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2018, 10:51:09 pm »
Got mine the other day... works great!  Minus the binding posts being a bit meh.  I'll be half tempted to mod them if they get really loose with usage but i dont usually pull those out either to often.. probly end up being lazy and just spade it up or get special males more suited to mate their post.

Got a bunch of Chinese knockoff males coming in to redo my speaker wiring.. wonder how well they will do with it.

Offline Frank_22

« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2018, 09:33:03 am »
I agree, this is a nice bit of kit, really. I bought mine here https://toolboom.com/en/dc-power-supply-siglent-spd3303x-e/. Rather reliable and stable operation. Where can I get the new firmware?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2018, 10:12:32 am »
I agree, this is a nice bit of kit, really. I bought mine here https://toolboom.com/en/dc-power-supply-siglent-spd3303x-e/. Rather reliable and stable operation. Where can I get the new firmware?
Here:
https://www.siglenteu.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/dc-power-supplies/#spd3303xx-e-series

Be aware, you need have the EasyPower utility and the NIVISA support SW installed in order to upgrade the FW.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2018, 04:42:47 pm »

The following users thanked this post: plurn, kerouanton

Offline kahuna0k

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2018, 07:43:58 am »
I've just got a SPD3303X-E from Saelig, it is my first "precision" PSU but the accuracy is appalling. Measuring with a BM235.

In C.V. mode, aiming at 2V, 2A (putting a load doesn't make any difference in the voltage readings):
  • CH1: the PSU out shows 2.08V and the DMM reads 1.870V.
  • CH2: the PSU out shows 1.96V and the DMM reads 1.784V.

With a load limited at 0.90A

• CH1: the PSU out shows 1.01A and the DMM reads 0.895A.
  • CH2: the PSU out shows 1.00A and the DMM reads 0.894A.

The C.C. mode is not better. With a load, aiming at 2A, 2V:
  • CH1: the PSU out shows 2.00A, 1.52V and the DMM reads 1.889A, 1.200V.
  • CH2: the PSU out shows 2.00A, 1.46V and the DMM reads 1.898A, 1.201V

I'm using the latest firmware available, 1.01.01.02.05. The PSU came with a calibration certificate dated on July 2018.  The unit came configured for 220V, so I had to select the right voltage (120V) and replace the fuse that was included in the socket. I've also tried with a cheap old DMM just to make sure that the BM235 was not broken, and got the same results.

In www.siglentamerica.com they say that the accuracy is 0.5% both for voltage and current, but I'm getting around 10% error for voltage and around 5% error for current.

Am I missing something obvious? Is there anyway to calibrate the unit without RMA?

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2018, 08:01:37 am »
Where are you measuring from?  It measures from the ports directly, especially at high currents or with cheap cables you'll be getting significant voltage drop in the length of cable.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2018, 08:14:05 am »
@kahuna0k
Can you get a voltage reading right at the binding posts using a fork terminal or a wire in the cross hole ?
Does that measurement agree with the display or the far end of your leads ?

I'm thinking a lead issue too but let's look a bit harder to be sure first.

Edit.
Handed to Siglent USA to supply answers/remedy.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 03:13:19 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline kahuna0k

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2018, 09:35:15 am »
@kahuna0k
Can you get a voltage reading right at the binding posts using a fork terminal or a wire in the cross hole ?
Does that measurement agree with the display or the far end of your leads ?

I'm thinking a lead issue too but let's look a bit harder to be sure first.

I was using the included banana to clamp cables and the BM235 standard probes (clamping the probes). For connecting the load (that is one of those cheap eBay 180W loads), I was using a cable of about 20cms, clamped to the DMM probes and the banana to clamp clamped to the probes to. (Load - 20cms clamp -> probe <- clamp --- banana -> PSU) total length of all cables is probably under 1 meter.

Anyway, tried measuring directly on the PSU ports with the DMM probes and got the same result.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf