Author Topic: Siglent SPD3303X-E  (Read 39762 times)

Offline Gandalf_SrTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Siglent SPD3303X-E
« on: June 11, 2017, 04:22:29 pm »
I've just ordered one of these from Amazon (for $381 US shipped) after watching Dave's review, I thought the innards were OK for the price, the transformer is excellent and the display is nice too.  One reviewer on Amazon said "I have use[d] it now for one month and I have to say together with the updated Firmware this is a nice bit of kit". 

Can anyone tell me what the updated firmware does?  Have they implemented the suggestion that's here somewhere that they display the set voltage & current in small font and the actual voltage / current in large?

Any other tips?

Thanks in advance.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SPD3303X-E
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 06:36:54 pm »
Some YouTube user recently reported an issue on the older SPD3303C model:

Can someone on this forum who also has the older SPD3303C model test if this issue can be reproduced?

Can someone on this forum who has the newer SPD3303X-E model test if this issue can be reproduced?

This way we can check the folllowing:

1) Reported issue is a hardware problem in a faulty SPD3303C unit of the YouTube user

2) Reported issue is not a hardware problem, but a generic issue and flaw on all SPD3303C units

3) Reported issue is also present or can not be reproduced on the newer SPD3303X-E units
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 06:38:58 pm by pascal_sweden »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 08:14:23 pm »
Can anyone tell me what the updated firmware does?  Have they implemented the suggestion that's here somewhere that they display the set voltage & current in small font and the actual voltage / current in large?
Yep, there are some changes in recent FW.
This thread has a few pics, see the ones in the OP and one I posted in reply #17.
They used to have a screensaver with has now been dropped.  :phew:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/is-there-such-a-thing-as-a-lab-power-supply-with-a-decent-ui/

Depending how old the stock at Amazon is, it may come with the latest FW with is 2P03.
Member Defpom had one of mine for a bit and put it through its paces

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 01:18:21 am »
Thanks tautech, I will report back on the status of my SPD3303X-E when I get it; I'm hoping it's got the tighter banana posts and the updated firmware although I can always upgrade the firmware if it's older.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 01:38:20 am »
Thanks tautech, I will report back on the status of my SPD3303X-E when I get it; I'm hoping it's got the tighter banana posts and the updated firmware although I can always upgrade the firmware if it's older.
It should have, all the units I've handled did and AFAIK it was only the very first of them that didn't like the one in Daves teardown. To be clear; they now feel loose for the first few mm's but then they firm up good.

Defpoms vid is worth watching.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 07:25:05 pm »
Any update on the issue that I reported?

Online PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 07:48:44 pm »
Some YouTube user recently reported an issue on the older SPD3303C model:

That guy doesnt know what he's taking about, he grounds the power supply by joining the positive and ground??, he doesnt show what the white lead is connected to?? Am I to believe that that effect is caused by static electriciy generated over and over by a short wire ?? Ha, it's either funny or ....

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 08:05:03 pm »
I also noticed that he grounded the terminal in the wrong way, when trying to avoid the issue.

But in the beginning he just touched the terminal with an open lead.

I agree that the video is probably not reliable, but it might be an easy thing to check, just in case,
for those SPD3303C and SPD3303X-E users out here :)

Online PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 08:14:00 pm »
But in the beginning he just touched the terminal with an open lead.

And whats on the other end of that lead? cause he doesnt show, could be anything. I bet it is his 110VAc mains

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 08:40:13 pm »
Yes, I see your point. But what if the other end of the lead is really open?

Formal checklist form for Siglent power supply users:

SPD3303C users:

What happens when touching one of the terminals with an open lead?

[ ] No change of the lights on the display front.
[ ] Change of the lights on the display front.

SPD3303X-E users:

What happens when touching one of the terminals with an open lead?

[ ] No change of the lights on the display front.
[ ] Change of the lights on the display front.

The following users thanked this post: Elasia

Offline oewean

• Contributor
    • Adroit.no
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 12:08:46 am »
No problem with static, tested on SPD3303C and SPD3303X.
Norwegian distributor of test and measurement equipment....
Adroit.no

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 11:46:24 am »
Although it's been delivered, I won't catch up with my  SPD3303X-E until Friday (I'm travelling this week).  I looked at how to upgrade the firmware as that might be necessary - the quick start guide says to use the Easypower utility and browse to the file which the document says must end in .ugf but the latest firmware file I just downloaded from Siglent (vn 1.01.02.03) actually ends in .ads

Can anyone clarify?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 11:57:21 am »
Although it's been delivered, I won't catch up with my  SPD3303X-E until Friday (I'm travelling this week).  I looked at how to upgrade the firmware as that might be necessary - the quick start guide says to use the Easypower utility and browse to the file which the document says must end in .ugf but the latest firmware file I just downloaded from Siglent (vn 1.01.02.03) actually ends in .ads

Can anyone clarify?
Must be some sort of misprint.
Having done a few FW updates but only 1 SPD thus far, I just followed the instructions on how to setup Easypower (you need MS.NET and NIVISA) and IIRC you just point to the FW file location on your PC from within the Easypower UI and launch the update process. This was new to me but went smoothly.
Best you wait to check out just which FW is installed, you might not even need to install it.

I've got a couple of these units here so when the time comes I can walk you through it if needed.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline phs

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 12:37:32 pm »
OK, it's bad enough that Siglent supplies only Windows software with their products, which is short-sighted and imposes unnecessary risks and expense to their customers, but If it's true that they're now requiring their customers to run Windows, even to update firmware, we will not be purchasing any more Siglent products.  Completely unacceptable!

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 01:01:35 pm »
I would say it the other way. Who doesn't have access to Windows these days? Even if it's an older computer with Windows XP.

Think about it! Maybe the problem is not with Siglent, but with yourself!

The following users thanked this post: Ellis_Beatty

Siglent America

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 01:05:02 pm »
You could use NI OS-X and then program your Siglent power supply with the usual SCPI commands.

As far as updating the FW, yes, the SPD3000X power supplies do require the use of the EasyPower software to do this but if you use an emulator program such Parallels then it should work just fine.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 01:33:41 pm »
OK, it's bad enough that Siglent supplies only Windows software with their products, which is short-sighted and imposes unnecessary risks and expense to their customers, but If it's true that they're now requiring their customers to run Windows, even to update firmware, we will not be purchasing any more Siglent products.  Completely unacceptable!
Although I'm a Windoze guy (like 95% of the rest of the Galaxy), most Mac users I know run some kind of virtual PC software to run Windows applications - this became easier when Apple changed from proprietary hardware to x86 hardware.

Offline phs

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 02:01:52 pm »
Thanks for your response and suggestions,  Siglent America.  I have great respect for Siglent hardware, and Siglent as a company.  Especially since the release of Windows 10, though, there are folks out there who find that MIcrosoft business tactics and licensing terms impose unnecessary risks and expenses to our businesses.  We are trying to eliminate any dependence on Microsoft products we possibly can.  Licensing management and software audits are expensive and time consuming.

Since there are plenty of other TE options out there that don't require Windows, we will choose to use them.  The SPD3000X doesn't happen to be a product of interest here, and Siglent probably doesn't care about the relatively small percentage of their potential customers who refuse to agree to Microsoft EULA terms, but I just want you to be aware that this will likely be a purchasing factor for at least some potential Siglent customers.

Though I probably understand why Siglent doesn't offer Linux/Mac applications, it's a show-stopper when even firmware upgrades depend on running Windows.  We simply don't purchase hardware anymore, that depends on Microsoft products for full functionality.

Yes we can, and have, run Windows on virtual machines, and they run very well on Linux.  Unfortunately, to do this legally still binds a business to Microsoft terms, and opens up the possibility of audits, etc.

By the way, we've been getting great use from the excellent SSA3000x instruments, which we've written our own applications for.  Love Siglent hardware and company, but wish you would reconsider the platforms you support.  (Don't worry, not holding my breath - we'll be fine either way.)

Thanks for your time and consideration!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 03:30:21 pm »
@Phs

IMHO, Siglent are just swimming with the tide.

A) you don't have to upgrade your firmware and
B) you don't have to buy Siglent.

@Siglent

Can you comment about .ugf vs .ads files?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 03:32:25 pm by Gandalf_Sr »

Siglent America

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 03:33:23 pm »
Thank you, phs.

We are trying to find the time to do some more things here in the North American office with Python, Excel, etc. We know that different people have different needs. One of our customers last week (He maintains AM radio stations) wanted an easier way to draw go/no-go masks for his multiple AM frequencies without having redraw them point by point. So we wrote him a script in Python and he is very happy with it.
The factory is going to add our script to the existing EasySpectrum software.

Although we can't promise to write a script for every customer that needs one, we do try to be as helpful as we can.
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 06:04:22 pm by Siglent America »

The following users thanked this post: phs, shiftdelete

Siglent America

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 06:02:06 pm »
@Phs

@Siglent

Sure, what can I say about them?

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 06:06:48 pm »
Yes we can, and have, run Windows on virtual machines, and they run very well on Linux.  Unfortunately, to do this legally still binds a business to Microsoft terms, and opens up the possibility of audits, etc.

What about using an older Windows version, such as Windows XP? Then you are not bound to these new Windows 10 licensing terms, isn't it?

There is still a very big percentage of active Windows XP users out there.
You can find the statistics online, if you don't believe me.

Do you really believe that your company is that important and that big, that Microsoft would even consider to do an audit?

You seem very paranoia! And you seem to forget that there are older Windows versions out there.

Which country are you from? You haven't listed this on your profile! Patagonia? :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 06:09:50 pm by pascal_sweden »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2017, 06:15:21 pm »
@Phs

@Siglent

Please see my post up this page a bit, the instructions for upgrading firmware using EasyPower say it HAS to be a .ugf file but when I downloaded the latest firmware from the Siglent web site, it was a .ads file.  Is the document wrong? Is the .ads file the right one?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 08:19:50 am »
@Phs

@Siglent

Please see my post up this page a bit, the instructions for upgrading firmware using EasyPower say it HAS to be a .ugf file but when I downloaded the latest firmware from the Siglent web site, it was a .ads file.  Is the document wrong? Is the .ads file the right one?
The Easypower FW upgrade window gives both .ugf and .ads file type options.
For giggles I booted it and captured the screenshot.

From the top menu item Version you select Upgrade to get the file selection box where when I clicked the ... (search for files) box it popped up the second box with the file I had selected last time I did a SPD FW update.  :)
Both file types appear to be supported.

From there on it was a doodle.  :)

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 09:14:54 am »
Thanks Tautech :D

I'll be home tomorrow so I'll report back on what vn of Firmware I have, how the binding posts are, and make the test for static affecting the LEDs.

Ted

[EDIT1]
Well it arrived, the box looks like an Elephant sat on it sideways but the PSU was OK inside.  The binding posts are not loose, the software is Vn 1.01.01.02.02R2 (which does show the set voltage separately but not sure if it's the latest - I have a downloaded file that's named SPD3303X-E-Firmware-V100R001B01D02P03), and the Hardware is Vn 3.0.  I haven't tested for the static thing yet.

[EDIT2]
Tested for the static problem, I can't make it happen, seems like it is either fixed or it was just a problem with one unit.  I tested voltage and current accuracy and they are OK.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 08:48:38 pm by Gandalf_Sr »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf