Author Topic: Siglent special offers on the SDS2000X series  (Read 25199 times)

Offline mark-rTopic starter

• Contributor
Siglent special offers on the SDS2000X series
« on: April 01, 2016, 03:50:25 pm »
I've been looking to buy a new scope and, as you do, I've been looking at websites doing my research.

I think my decision has just been made easier because on their US site, Siglent has announced a free bandwidth upgrade for any SDS2000X series scope, and a buy 2 get 4 deal for software options (I was interested in the MSO and Arb options so looks like I could get the serial decode and logic probe hardware free.

If this offer comes to Europe too, I think this makes Siglent unbeatable for price/performance.

Offline robert_

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent special offers on the SDS2000X series
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 04:42:38 pm »
Is the firmware finally useable?
Last version i saw was a pretty bad joke.

Offline DanNorman

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 04:42:55 pm »
mark-r: You should check http://www.siglent.eu/ :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 04:46:56 pm by DanNorman »

The following users thanked this post: mark-r

Offline DanNorman

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 04:46:09 pm »
robert_: The latest firmware for SDS1000X series is certainly very usable. As I understand, they share part of the firmware with SDS2000X?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 05:01:08 pm »
1000 points FFT, only decode what is on screen and like 1400 points high-res is not what I would call useable.

BTW: Siglent.eu isn't their official site and but a dealer and from personal experience I wouldn't recommend to buy from them!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 05:14:11 pm »
I've been looking to buy a new scope and, as you do, I've been looking at websites doing my research.

I think my decision has just been made easier because on their US site, Siglent has announced a free bandwidth upgrade for any SDS2000X series scope, and a buy 2 get 4 deal for software options (I was interested in the MSO and Arb options so looks like I could get the serial decode and logic probe hardware free.

If this offer comes to Europe too, I think this makes Siglent unbeatable for price/performance.

Yes, of course it is also in Europe.

You pay (example) 4ch 100MHz model
You get 4ch 200MHz mode
If not want options, thats it.

2. If you want also options offer (need do together with oscilloscope purchase)
You pay LA lisence + LA probe (16 channel)
You get LA lisence + LA probe (16 channel) + FG + DC
(FG = function generator. DC = serial DeCoder)

If purchase directly  2 or 4 channel  300MHz model offer can not rise frequency so for compensation it give LA+LAprobe + FG + DC free.

siglent.eu  is just one seller in Europe. It is NOT Siglent official.

Here is Siglent official in Europe:
http://siglenteu.com

Offer is here, including 0% VAT prices and official explanation about Siglent rules for offer.
http://siglenteu.com/qyxwxx.aspx?id=2332&sid=210
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline pxl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 05:26:43 pm »

Definitely looks to be a great offer, but without any warranty* I would think twice!

(*I would lose the warranty immediately by changing the cheapo, noisy fan with a proper one.)

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 05:28:10 pm »
only decode what is on screen

It is not so simply...
Please tell also how much "only" there can  be on the screen for decoding.

For real frequency domain analysis there is also real tools available. Example SSA3000X.

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 05:40:38 pm »

It is not so simply...

For real frequency domain analysis there is also real tools available. Example SSA3000X.
Try and use decoding for diagnosing a real problem and you'll know how utterly useless it is to decode what is only on screen. Say you have a long I2C message and you want to look at a timing problem somewhere in the message. On an oscilloscope which only decodes what is on screen you won't be able to look at the problem with the message decoded on the screen because once the beginning of the message is off-screen the decoding is gone.

Regarding FFT: Like many spectrum analysers the SSA3000X starts at 9kHz and won't be very usefull at those frequencies either. Long FFT on an oscilloscope is very handy to look at filters and frequency response in general in the audio range (DC to tens of kHz) and to look at EMC problems in switching power supplies where the problems are usually (far) below 200MHz. It is very handy to see the shape of the waveform and the spectrum together in order to determine what causes an EMC problem. A spectrum analyser won't show the signal only the resulting frequency spectrum! Also the frequency resolution can be much higher than that of a spectrum analyser if you have long FFT records. All in all it is total nonsense to say FFT on a scope is just a toy in general.

edit: typo
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:00:29 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 05:42:42 pm »

Definitely looks to be a great offer, but without any warranty* I would think twice!

(*I would lose the warranty immediately by changing the cheapo, noisy fan with a proper one.)

Where you have been listening it? 
Also FAN they used is not at all worst elcheapo. But also it is not FAN's rolls-royce.

If FAN noise is really real problem I believe it is somehow possible to negotiate with Siglent  in some individual particular situation. (I can not promise but I want believe. But of  course it also depends... (many things))

Example in SDS2000 or SDS1000X  FAN  is really not problem (and I listen these nearly every day) if compare example Rigol "turbines" what I have also listened in same environment.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 05:48:05 pm »

It is not so simply...

On an oscilloscope which only decodes what is on screen you won't be able to look at the problem with the message decoded on the screen because once the beginning of the message is off-screen the decoding is gone.

Why need move beginning of message out from screen. You do not know window?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 06:03:07 pm »
What window? Please be more specific!

Offline pxl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 06:09:18 pm »
Where you have been listening it? 
Also FAN they used is not at all worst elcheapo. But also it is not FAN's rolls-royce.

If FAN noise is really real problem I believe it is somehow possible to negotiate with Siglent  in some individual particular situation. (I can not promise but I want believe. But of  course it also depends... (many things))

Example in SDS2000 or SDS1000X  FAN  is really not problem (and I listen these nearly every day) if compare example Rigol "turbines" what I have also listened in same environment.

In Dave's recent teardown. It was growling terribly with no any sign of rubber insulation between the fan and the case. Really, it is a 2k euro device and they save on a 10 euros fan and 0 euros rubbers? Sure, it is not Rigol level noise, but that things would be out of question (e.g. because of the noise).

Other deal breaker for me is the lack of a proper, pre decimation peak detection mode, if I listened carefully Performa's review set.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 06:32:56 pm »

Other deal breaker for me is the lack of a proper, pre decimation peak detection mode, if I listened carefully Performa's review set.

This must be some kind of misunderstanding of the wrong interpretation.
Least in SDS2000 (2304) I can not see any problem in peak detect. (and I believe SDS2000X is least same or better.)

Offline pxl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 06:38:37 pm »

Least in SDS2000 (2304) I can not see any problem in peak detect. (and I believe SDS2000X is least same or better.)

Conclusion:

Peak detect works absolutely perfect in roll mode and generally for time bases >20ms/div.

Below that, it seems there would still be room for improvement. As it is now, the peak values are acquired from simply decimated data according to the current sample speed, instead of replacing the decimation by a peak detect mechanism.

As it is now, if we had a perfect 1ns wide pulse we would be able to trigger on it but still might not see anything on the screen.

Big question: Since it is possible to do it in an optimal way for timebases >20ms, why on earth has it to be different for faster timebases?

Offline mark-rTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 09:47:40 pm »
BTW: Siglent.eu isn't their official site and but a dealer and from personal experience I wouldn't recommend to buy from them!
Any reason for that? I ask because the 2 official UK distributors don't even have the 2000X series on their websites at all, never mind the offer, but siglent.eu have already changed their prices to reflect the offer.

Offline DanNorman

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 10:02:00 pm »
siglent.eu is clearly an authorized distributor. As is eleshop.nl from which siglent.eu is shipping.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 10:03:52 pm »
Any reason for that? I ask because the 2 official UK distributors don't even have the 2000X series on their websites at all, never mind the offer, but siglent.eu have already changed their prices to reflect the offer.
After making the sale Siglent.eu was not doing anything (except for hoping I would stop complaining) in trying to get Siglent to get the SDS2204 I bought from them in a useable state. They even refused to take it back when it turned out Siglent would/could not fix it within a reasonable timeframe which basically left me with a loss of 2000 euros (and a non working scope). Siglent.eu (and they have many other websites/brands as well) is clearly just moving boxes.
If you consider buying any Siglent equipment get it on loan first and only pay when it works in a way which is acceptable for you. That way you don't risk getting screwd.

@DanNorman: Funny you mention Eleshop.nl. Their service was top notch when I found some issues in my GW Instek GDS2000E scope. They contacted GW Instek for me and had the issues fixed within a couple of weeks with the first fix arriving within a few days.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:14:54 pm by nctnico »

Offline pxl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 10:14:27 pm »
Hah, then I can replace the fan without losing the not too effective eu warranty :D

(sorry, just kidding)

Offline DanNorman

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 10:27:05 pm »
nctnico: eleshop.nl is the company that shipped my Siglent SDS1000X even though I paid to siglent.eu. I´m glad you say their customer support is good! It´s always a gamble buying chinese stuff :P

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 08:25:22 am »
I ask because the 2 official UK distributors don't even have the 2000X series on their websites at all, never mind the offer, but siglent.eu have already changed their prices to reflect the offer.
Quite possibly because the offer is so very recent.  :-\

I was made aware of it only yesterday; Friday NZ time.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 08:33:07 am »
Yes, official release for this information was yesterday 01.04.2016

"
.....Free bandwidth upgrades on newly purchased SDS2000X starts from now to 2nd July 2016....
.....Public info to end customers will be released today....
"

Design world made a video for SDS2000X:
(Time 3:00 also inside scope)

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 08:39:22 am by rf-loop »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 08:37:32 am »

Conclusion:

Peak detect works absolutely perfect in roll mode and generally for time bases >20ms/div.

Below that, it seems there would still be room for improvement. As it is now, the peak values are acquired from simply decimated data according to the current sample speed, instead of replacing the decimation by a peak detect mechanism.

As it is now, if we had a perfect 1ns wide pulse we would be able to trigger on it but still might not see anything on the screen.

Big question: Since it is possible to do it in an optimal way for timebases >20ms, why on earth has it to be different for faster timebases?
As the last FW for both 2000 and 2000X series was released early Dec last year and Siglent have taken detailed notice of Performa01's analysis of the later V2 FW, (mostly in Jan, at least those you are quoting) it would be prudent to expect further tweaks (some based on Performa01's findings) for the 2000X series.

I'll have one in a few weeks to try for myself.  :-DMM
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2016, 09:52:08 am »
As the last FW for both 2000 and 2000X series was released early Dec last year and Siglent have taken detailed notice of Performa01's analysis of the later V2 FW, (mostly in Jan, at least those you are quoting) it would be prudent to expect further tweaks (some based on Performa01's findings) for the 2000X series.

You mean like the kind of tweaks they did for the SDS2000 in the two years since the scope has been released, many based on user findings?    :-DD
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 09:54:56 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2016, 09:59:50 am »

You mean like the kind of tweaks they did for the SDS2000 in the two years since the scope has been released, many based on user findings?    :-DD
And dare we say thanks for your constructive input for ongoing product development. :-DD
Not likely, there's been none.   :--
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 10:04:33 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf