Author Topic: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers  (Read 626283 times)

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
Re: Siglent SSA3000X spectrum analyzers
« Reply #675 on: September 16, 2017, 06:30:01 am »
Start at frequency 50KHz and span 10KHz and set the RBW to 1HZ

Leave the RBW at 1Hz and set the frequency to 100MHz and the span to 1MHz.

Go back to RBW, it stays 1Hz ok and I can also change the RBW up and back down to 1Hz no issue.

Edit, I just had my ah ha moment. I went to take pictures so I could show what I was doing and realized that when I set span to 1 MHz, it was staying at 10KHz. No error message.
I guess all is good in the world again.

Joel

FW 1.2.8.3
This message is visible only short time, just like short flash. Look carefully bottom left signal area when you change setting. Perhaps it is still there in new FW. 

Commonly:
Here is AN-150  over ten years later. Keysight version with colors.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #676 on: September 16, 2017, 01:52:51 pm »
Ugh, yes the message is still there with 8.5
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 01:54:48 pm by Joel_l »

Offline bozidarms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #677 on: September 17, 2017, 07:35:35 am »
Hi to community,

i am wonder how you get manages the problem  within file management system - inability to delete files?
It can't be that this bother only me?
Is it some way to resolve this? :-//
And for this who have done last firmware upgrade - is any real benefit of last firmware upgrading?

Regards
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 07:41:50 am by bozidarms »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #678 on: September 17, 2017, 11:20:40 pm »
Hi to community,

i am wonder how you get manages the problem  within file management system - inability to delete files?
It can't be that this bother only me?
Is it some way to resolve this? :-//
Yes, the deletion of saved files is not obvious but is outlined in the User manual in the Files section on P67: 2.5.3.9 Operate
Simply, when in File UI select/highlight the file or folder and use the Operate softkey where then the Delete option becomes available for use.

Edit.
After further thought "Operate" as a selection to enter the deeper file management UI could be changed to Operator which IMO will be a more intuitive name for it as it suggests further file management possibilities.
I'll suggest this change to Siglent.

Any better suggestions ?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 12:21:24 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Max_RGI

« Reply #679 on: September 18, 2017, 12:33:26 am »
After the upgrade to 1.2.8.5 (with the file in V1.2.8.5-EN.rar) I found the following issues:
1) the 1 Hz and 3 Hz RBW are usable only below 150 kHz as Center frequency. For the upper frequencies a flat line is shown.
2) Reflection measurement (selected as "mode") is unusuable; starting the measurement by entering in this mode, the "reset" and "Cal open load" don't perform the appropriate functions.

So a rollback to 1.2.8.3 was executed waiting for a new FW release.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 12:42:05 am by Max_RGI »

The following users thanked this post: Orange

Offline bozidarms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #680 on: September 18, 2017, 09:15:05 am »
Yes, the deletion of saved files is not obvious but is outlined in the User manual in the Files section on P67: 2.5.3.9 Operate
Simply, when in File UI select/highlight the file or folder and use the Operate softkey where then the Delete option becomes available for use.

Edit.
After further thought "Operate" as a selection to enter the deeper file management UI could be changed to Operator which IMO will be a more intuitive name for it as it suggests further file management possibilities.

Thanks tautech,
unfortunately, it seems that my SSA has a life of its own.:o
For some files deleting was successful (first i must rename the file, until only .jpg remains - and than i can delete), for some not!
Anyway, file management remain wired - maybe some days Siglent would resolve that.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #681 on: September 18, 2017, 10:08:41 am »

Edit.

Thanks tautech,
unfortunately, it seems that my SSA has a life of its own.:o
For some files deleting was successful (first i must rename the file, until only .jpg remains - and than i can delete), for some not!
Anyway, file management remain wired - maybe some days Siglent would resolve that.
Hmmm, still on 8.3 here and I had zero problems with any file type.  :-//

I lent my unit to member Defpom, he was going to do a YT review on it but I needed it back before he did and there were a # of files he'd added, some in the root and others in a folder he'd created......anyways, no problem deleting any of them and they were many file types. I did this today after spotting your post.

The UI is massive in some ways for these units and when you can't sort out where you are and things aren't going right.....well I hit the blue Preset button and start again from a known point.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bozidarms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #682 on: September 18, 2017, 10:36:19 am »
Yes i have try everything - blue button too(8.3 here too).
Now is clear to me why was lack of reaction on my complains over file management.
Maybe is only mine SSA affected ???
Likewise, i try not to use  intern file system - with USB stick, functioning all OK :).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:40:26 am by bozidarms »

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #683 on: September 18, 2017, 10:37:43 am »
Are you accessing files on the internal memory or on an attached USB memory?

Can it be that you are using a SB memory, which is corrupt or defective?

Regards,
Vitor

Offline bozidarms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #684 on: September 18, 2017, 10:41:50 am »
Hi Vitor,
with USB stick is everything as it should bee.
Things goes strange with internal file system.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 04:42:29 pm by bozidarms »

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #685 on: September 18, 2017, 10:47:12 am »
Strange indeed.

I have not expercienced any issue with my device, but then I have not dealt with file handling. I have the SSA3021X connected through Ethernet with my Computer and use either EasySpectrum or my own software to grab screenshots or data.

Perhaps the flash file system is corrupt or with read errors.

Best would be to do a video with your phone showing your interaction with the device and its responsiveness to file handling. Post that here and it will be easy to assess if you have a faulty device.

Regards,
Vitor

Offline bozidarms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #686 on: September 18, 2017, 10:53:19 am »
I would try to do a video, but the error is quite simple - i can describe.
In  the Operate (exactly es tautech deskribed:
Simply, when in File UI select/highlight the file or folder and use the Operate softkey where then the Delete option becomes available for use.),
 simply push on the soft-key "Delete" produced no reaction, not for file and not for folder.

but i am not the only-one with this bug.
IW0FFK has described the same error - look on his internet page:
https://iw0ffk.wordpress.com/2017/01/29/hacking-the-spectrum-analyzer-siglent-ssa-3021x/
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:02:24 am by bozidarms »

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #687 on: September 18, 2017, 10:57:06 am »
The idea is to be able to try to 100% reproduce what you are doing to see if the same issues happens on other devices.

Regards,
Vitor

Offline bozidarms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #688 on: September 18, 2017, 04:33:37 pm »
I have created a short video but can't upload(MP4).
Anyway, i can't even create a new folder in SSA alone.
If i understand all right, file manipulation is possible on SSA alone too,
or i have completely misunderstood, and file management is possible only with USB stick.
(With USB stick - is, in my case, possible every operation.)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 05:30:19 pm by bozidarms »

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #689 on: September 18, 2017, 04:53:21 pm »
2) Reflection measurement (selected as "mode") is unusuable; starting the measurement by entering in this mode, the "reset" and "Cal open load" don't perform the appropriate functions.

So a rollback to 1.2.8.3 was executed waiting for a new FW release.

Yep, can confirm this is an error in 1.2.8.5

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #690 on: September 22, 2017, 03:12:59 am »
Freeze bug in File management found, hold off from 5a FW until further notice. Reported.
Maybe suspect USB stick, no further problems.

A 5a version firmware is now available.

Version: V1.2.8.5a
7.3 Mb
http://siglentamerica.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=6433&tid=15

Changelog
1.Fixed v1.2.8.5 bugs on Refl Mode.
2.Fixed v1.2.8.5 bugs on language and file.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:09:17 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: nugglix, bozidarms

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #691 on: September 23, 2017, 01:24:50 am »
I have created a short video but can't upload(MP4).
Anyway, i can't even create a new folder in SSA alone.
If i understand all right, file manipulation is possible on SSA alone too,
or i have completely misunderstood, and file management is possible only with USB stick.
(With USB stick - is, in my case, possible every operation.)
We shared some PM's to help with this, maybe bozidarms can report his progress since and offer some tips.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bozidarms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #692 on: September 23, 2017, 07:38:43 am »
Yes, tautech, thanks for your help - have done all what you advised.
I can toggle between Dir and File using the top Function button,
" When in a Folder use the File button again (above the round multi control) to get access to another set of functions in the menu.", but when a try to use File button again - nothing happens, although i have already all functions in the side menu.
A can also, with pressing a Create new folder, get a pop up window "New folder", and i also can edit the new name - but than, wen i push a  Enter key, window"New folder" disappear without memorizing.
I don't know would it be wise, and safe to try reloading a firmware?
Anyway, i don't use a file system much, and when, than over a USB stick - on this way, every function work es it should be. :)
Regards

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SSA3000X spectrum analyzers crash!
« Reply #693 on: September 23, 2017, 04:03:37 pm »
I received an SSA3021X on Monday and am in the process of familiarizing myself.  I set it up to sweep from 540 - 1670 KHz and was going through the various options.  The unit locked up so that it did not respond to ANY buttons except power.  When it came back up I couldn't see it over the LAN interface.  When I went to look at the parameters via the [system] button it had reset the static IP address and added a gateway address.  The LAN has no gateway, so I had it set to 0.0.0.0.

Has anyone else encountering units hanging up?  This was a pretty serious indulgence, so I'm rather rattled at having it hang up like that.  Especially after being told by Siglent that a service manual was not available as it had not been finished.

I also discovered that all the trial options have been expiring even with the unit sitting in the startup preset state.  I had read online (here??) that the options only ran the timers if you were using them.  That is absolutely not correct.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SSA3000X spectrum analyzers (too many bugs!!!)
« Reply #694 on: September 24, 2017, 01:29:26 pm »
I just discovered that the situation is far worse than I thought.  Firmware is 1.2.8.2.  My initial test this morning was:

1) power on
2) set start and stop at 88-107 MHz
3) set attenuator to 0 dB
4) select Pk-Pk
5) display reports marker @ 1.19 MHz !!!!!
6) select left Pk
7) display reports marker @ 343 KHz !!!
8) repeatedly selecting Pk-Pk results in the marker frequency reported @ random values including -1.99 MHz!!!!!

I've attached a JPEG of the last result.  I took other pics showing the marker reported at a variety of frequencies all outside the sweep range with the maker located in the same spot.

I had lots of strange results earlier, but I just put that down to unfamiliarity.  But with the marker staying in the same spot and absurd frequencies being reported on screen this thing is clearly not trustworthy.

The specs looked very attractive, so I found it odd that places that were carrying it had discontinued it.  I think the reason is becoming clear.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #695 on: September 24, 2017, 01:40:20 pm »
A delta marker (note the delta sign) shows the difference between two markers.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent SSA3000X spectrum analyzers (too many bugs!!!)
« Reply #696 on: September 24, 2017, 01:41:55 pm »
I just discovered that the situation is far worse than I thought.  Firmware is 1.2.8.2.  My initial test this morning was:

1) power on
2) set start and stop at 88-107 MHz
3) set attenuator to 0 dB
4) select Pk-Pk
5) display reports marker @ 1.19 MHz !!!!!
6) select left Pk
7) display reports marker @ 343 KHz !!!
8) repeatedly selecting Pk-Pk results in the marker frequency reported @ random values including -1.99 MHz!!!!!

I've attached a JPEG of the last result.  I took other pics showing the marker reported at a variety of frequencies all outside the sweep range with the maker located in the same spot.

I had lots of strange results earlier, but I just put that down to unfamiliarity.  But with the marker staying in the same spot and absurd frequencies being reported on screen this thing is clearly not trustworthy.

The specs looked very attractive, so I found it odd that places that were carrying it had discontinued it.  I think the reason is becoming clear.

I still do not have this SA (coming in the mail) but it looks like you have Delta marker settings on. I think it is showing the difference between marker #1 and the one at 100.8MHz. There is a Delta sign next to the marker report on the top of the screen, too.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #697 on: September 24, 2017, 03:39:21 pm »
A revised test with screenshots at steps 4 & 5:

0) power on at factory preset
1) set span 88-107 MHz
2) set attenuator 0 dB
3) press [peak]
4) select [next pk]
5) select [pk pk]

Note at step (5) that the instrument has selected delta marker mode and placed a marker unrelated to either of the previous marker locations.   If I repeat the entire sequence, each time I perform step (5) the delta marker is placed in a different location.

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #698 on: September 24, 2017, 04:01:22 pm »
 |O

I think the reason is becoming clear.

Only one thing is clear at this point - you need learn what is this spectrum analyzer, how it works and how to handle it and how to do settings and understand what it is displaying and why. Just start from basic bottom fundamentals.

Of course here in forum can get kind help but it do not start like you try. Claiming that SA works wrong without enough experience and knowledge makes this difficult. (are you serious or is this some kind of show)

Is it better way to ask "how to do this", "what is this" or "I do not understand why it display this and that"

Also with some basic knowledge this may give help to understand principles how this Siglent works
(and if it is unclear, this works like full digital IF system)
Keysight AN-150

I have used this SA nearly 2 years and many other SA's. Without problems.

Before you satrt claiming more please sit down and start study, from basics, from basic principles and fundamentals about theory and practice  how to use it and how it works and if you do not undersstand howq to do you cvan try ask here in forum if some kind people can give help.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: nugglix, bozidarms

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #699 on: September 24, 2017, 07:06:41 pm »
@rf-loop

First of all I read the user manual such as it is in its entirety.

Please explain why selecting [pk pk]  would change the marker selection in a menu I'm not looking at from [normal] to [delta marker] and randomly place a 2nd marker, buried down in the noise where I did not see  it? If I repeat the entire sequence from power on, I get a reference marker placed in a random position each time.  What is the theoretical justification for that?  Giving me a delta from the current peak to the peak peak would make sense, but giving me a delta from a random point does not.  Selecting [pk pk] multiple times in succession moves the reference marker to a different random location.  What's the application for that?

I pressed [peak] which placed a marker on the peak amplitude and put up the peak menu.  That operation left marker in [normal] mode.  Selecting [next pk]  selected the next lowest amplitude peak and the marker stayed in [normal] mode.  Had I selected [delta marker] I would have expected to see a second marker and the difference.  I did not select [delta marker] when I pressed [pk pk] to go back to the first peak.  So there is no reason for me to have expected a change to a parameter I wanted and expected to remain unchanged. Of course, with more experience I would have recognized the tiny delta. I thought it was a triangle with a "!" in the middle.

My issues are with the user interface.  I understand how spectrum analyzers are constructed and the limitations associated with any particular design topology rather well.  I've been eyeball deep in DSP for 35 years and mucking about with RF for even longer.  I've also done a lot of software work.  I do not like software that crashes.  I was quite mortified when I had to power cycle the unit after it stopped responding to ANY button presses except the power switch.

The vendors who dropped the Siglent SA carry the Rigol  SAs and other Siglent gear, but not the SSA3000x line.  There is a firmware update which I will try after I speak with the vendor.  I've got a DS1102E which has been trouble free.  Choosing between the DSA815-TG and the SSA3021X was a tough call, but I decided to go for more bandwidth.  The Rigol DSA815-TG is beginning to look a lot more attractive.

I'm also troubled by being told that the service manual for a product that's been out for 2 years isn't finished yet.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf