Author Topic: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog  (Read 522789 times)

Offline jasonbrent

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2013, 07:56:29 pm »
I have a Siglent SDS1102CM oscilloscope but it has suddenly stopped working and now only ever displays its splash screen - anyone else ever seen this?

When I turn on the scope the buttons light up as usual and the fan runs. The splash screen appears and the buttons lights go out (except measure, run/stop, CH1 and CH2 lights on) but that's as far as it gets - the splash screen just stays there and pressing the buttons doesn't do anything. The scope first entered this mode when I pressed the horizontal time scale zoom button.

Anybody (SIGLENT?) know of a back door way to force a 'restore to factory defaults'  - perhaps powering up with certain buttons pressed etc?

Chris.

[Edit] Just noted Andor's post from earlier in this thread where he reports the same thing. Andor, if you read this could you confirm that you managed to get your scope out of this lockup? And could you explain/confirm the steps I need to take. Cheers.

The same thing happened to mine 3 days after I purchased it. 1202CML...but mine wouldn't even bring up a splash screen. Power on would cause the fan to start spinning, but no other lights or anything on the screen. I sent it back because I could not figure out how to make it work again (and frankly, it shouldn't have broken that way)...

-jbl

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2013, 10:40:11 pm »
I have a Siglent SDS1102CM oscilloscope but it has suddenly stopped working and now only ever displays its splash screen - anyone else ever seen this?

When I turn on the scope the buttons light up as usual and the fan runs. The splash screen appears and the buttons lights go out (except measure, run/stop, CH1 and CH2 lights on) but that's as far as it gets - the splash screen just stays there and pressing the buttons doesn't do anything. The scope first entered this mode when I pressed the horizontal time scale zoom button.

Anybody (SIGLENT?) know of a back door way to force a 'restore to factory defaults'  - perhaps powering up with certain buttons pressed etc?

Chris.

[Edit] Just noted Andor's post from earlier in this thread where he reports the same thing. Andor, if you read this could you confirm that you managed to get your scope out of this lockup? And could you explain/confirm the steps I need to take. Cheers.

The same thing happened to mine 3 days after I purchased it. 1202CML...but mine wouldn't even bring up a splash screen. Power on would cause the fan to start spinning, but no other lights or anything on the screen. I sent it back because I could not figure out how to make it work again (and frankly, it shouldn't have broken that way)...

-jbl

Try opening it up and testing the test points/components individually.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline ChrisShillito

« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2013, 10:50:37 pm »

Well it seems there is indeed a back door mechanism to reload defaults - repeatedly press the math button whilst the scope is initialising does the trick nicely. Many thanks to Andor for helping me out with that :-+. Perhaps Siglent will consider publishing this trick in their manual as it would appear there is a 'persistent' lock-up bug lurking in the firmware waiting to bite - no big deal if you now how to clear it but very worrying if you don't!.

Chris.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2013, 05:07:22 am »

Well it seems there is indeed a back door mechanism to reload defaults - repeatedly press the math button whilst the scope is initialising does the trick nicely. Many thanks to Andor for helping me out with that :-+. Perhaps Siglent will consider publishing this trick in their manual as it would appear there is a 'persistent' lock-up bug lurking in the firmware waiting to bite - no big deal if you now how to clear it but very worrying if you don't!.

Chris.

I will recommend that if we report some this kind of problem/bug etc things we also include model, FW and HW version information. Just becouse different versions are different.

Example earlier someone told freezing if push accidentally delayed  using very slow horizontal speeds and then scope freeze. Least in FW version 5.01.02.22 there read pop up message "Function is not useable" and nothing happends. 
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline illyesgeza

• Contributor
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2013, 05:37:35 am »
press 'RUN/STOP' key three times

Offline ChrisShillito

« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2013, 08:52:55 am »
I will recommend that if we report some this kind of problem/bug etc things we also include model, FW and HW version information. Just becouse different versions are different.

Example earlier someone told freezing if push accidentally delayed  using very slow horizontal speeds and then scope freeze. Least in FW version 5.01.02.22 there read pop up message "Function is not useable" and nothing happends.

Fair enough, here are the details in my specific case:

Model:SDS1102CML
Hardware: 11-62-3.3
Firmware: 5.01.02.13
CH1 and CH2 enabled, 1V per division, x1 probe
Trigger: CH1 Falling Edge, Auto
USB stick present
Measure: on screen Time measurements display active.
Timebase: must have been around 10uS but I don't know the exact setting - certainly wasn't 'slow'

Pressing the timebase button caused the splash screen to appear. What ever 'setting' causes the error is remembered after power down because the scope re-enters the same state after its usual power up sequence.

Reloading factory defaults by rapidly pressing the MATH button whilst the scope is initializing fixed the problem.

The lockup is not easily repeatable - I've attempted to replicated it but have so far failed.

Chris.

Offline David Aurora

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2013, 08:53:22 am »

Chris.

Speaking of versions, I and others have asked in multiple threads now about when the new firmware will be live on the Siglent website, would love some feedback from Siglent on what's going on there.

Offline ChrisShillito

« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2013, 04:40:00 pm »
Speaking of versions, I and others have asked in multiple threads now about when the new firmware will be live on the Siglent website, would love some feedback from Siglent on what's going on there.

The 5.01.02.22 firmware is available here http://siglent.freeforums.org/new-fw-for-sds1000cml-and-cnl-t77.html it just hasn't made it onto their download page yet |O

Chris.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2013, 05:06:51 pm »
Is it possible to change the rotary encoders on the Siglent SDS1102CNL oscilloscope? The non detented multi-function and horizontal position knob is really pissing me off. I have opened it up, and am not sure how many pulses it is, and if it is possible to replace them.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

Offline David Aurora

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2013, 12:59:39 am »

The 5.01.02.22 firmware is available here http://siglent.freeforums.org/new-fw-for-sds1000cml-and-cnl-t77.html it just hasn't made it onto their download page yet |O

Chris.

Yeah I saw that a while ago but I'm not sure about installing it without Siglent actually pushing it out. What's the deal with this version, is it actually finished or a pre-release beta or something? How did it get up there, from Siglent or a third party? If I install it before they officially have it on their site and something goes wrong am I covered under warranty or will I get a response like "We didn't actually release it on our site yet, too bad"? Etc.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2013, 07:55:13 am »

What's the deal with this version, is it actually finished or a pre-release beta or something? How did it get up there, from Siglent or a third party?

New scopes from Siglent factory have  HW 5.01.02.22,  (least) in  SDS1102CNL and SDS1102CML models.  This I have seen with my own eyes and also tested these version scopes.

After then, I have asked from Siglent if I can get this new FW also for update units I have in stock with FW 5.01.02.13 and also for update my customers equipments if need.  After this, they send me FW5.01.02.22 update zip.  But, in this phase they know what are versions what I may update with it.  So, I do not have information if it is fully backward compatible with all FW and HW versions. So, becouse this, as long as I do not have more trusted information, I need give warning that I do not know if it is compatible or not.

I have test updated one SDS1072CML HW 11-62-3.3 with 5.01.02.22.  It looks like it works but without full tests of course - who can test all settings combinations - no one.
Then I tested if it can downgrade. It can. I have then "update" it back to 5.01.02.13 and it looks like it works.  So, it looks like bridge to run back is not broken. But, how about older and other versions - I really do not know and I do not k now if this is reason why there is not yet official downloadable.

With these updates need be careful becouse example old times when updates was not public there was situation that some very old version need first update to some more new version but not newest, and then update to newest. (this was information get directly from Siglent and for SDG1000). And with this kind of thing - Siglent is not alone.  Also example Owon, all HW versions are not compatible with all FW versions. And I suspect this situation is with many brands.

----------------------------
btw and fully off topic (of course as usual):

Some things, just  for playing and study with SDS.

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2013, 10:50:49 am »
I too updated my SDS1072CML HW 11-62-3.3 SW 5.01.02.13 to 5.01.02.22 and the trigger status kept jumping between "Ready", "Armed", "Auto" while using auto trigger on slower timebases. Didn't like it at all so I've reverted to 5.01.02.13 but rf-loop told me there are some good changes and bugfixes, too.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2013, 01:29:41 pm »
I too updated my SDS1072CML HW 11-62-3.3 SW 5.01.02.13 to 5.01.02.22 and the trigger status kept jumping between "Ready", "Armed", "Auto" while using auto trigger on slower timebases. Didn't like it at all so I've reverted to 5.01.02.13 but rf-loop told me there are some good changes and bugfixes, too.

This "ready-armed-auto" sequence is "true" but flickering is not nice looking and also it now interfere with TFT update period.

Default scope.
Connect probe to 1kHz probe cal output.   Set scope horizontal to 50ms/div.
Set now trigger so that level is example under this signal level so it can not find trig. In this case it generate "auto" trig and  it can see when it slowly do this sequence "auto -> armed -> trigged"
Then move trigger level so that it is around middle of signal. Now you see it do not generate "auto" and  sequence is "armed -> trigged"
Keep trig level this. Change trigger to Normal. Still it show "armed -> trigged.... armed.. trig's ...."
Move trigger level to under signal level ... "...armed...ready and now it waits until it find trigger.
now of course it do not force trigger by auto. In auto mode it generate auto force for trigger in case it do not find trig.

With more fast speeds it can not update this in TFT and it looks like it blinks random. More fast times it do not blink if it finds trig there read steady Trig'd. But if fast speeds move trigger level so that there is not trig its start blink becouse this autotrig is more slow. First it need find that oh...there is not trig... lets force trig (and in this case of course it is out of sync with signal)
Very fast speeds if not find trig (move trig level out from signal) , only there read "auto" and it trigs with auto period  and tell to user that trigger is not from signal, it come from auto process. Then if change trigger level so that it find continuous steady trig enough fast it do not start auto trig process and there reads steady "Trig'd". 

Idea is right and  good but solution need some fine adjustments for this indicator  timing so that it do not "random blink" when speed is so that it can not update to tft and right for human eye so that it display Ready, Armed, Trigged and Auto just as it give best information to user, but then depending of settings and horz speeds and signal itself timing need be so that it do not "blinking randomly" becouse indicator can not update, then need think what tell to user best useful information about current working status related to trigger.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2013, 01:54:31 pm »
Hmm, thank you for the detailed description, rf-loop. I perceived it as an obvious bug before but now you've convinced me they've actually tried to make it more informative and let you know the exact moment the auto trig is enforced. But I too think it's still not exactly optimal way to do that. When something is apparently randomly flickering at you, "something's not right" is your first and natural reaction. Also, if you're capturing screenshots, you'll have random things in the trig status field. Now, maybe they should do away with the trig status in the text form and substitute it with a row of individually "dimmed/lit-up" symbols, like: "[A][T][Au]" (too bad that "Armed" and "Auto" both start with an "A" ;)).

Offline illyesgeza

• Contributor
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2013, 12:52:35 pm »
Who knows what it is "Depth Recover" in the FACTORY submenu in SAVE/RECAL menu on a SIGLENT SDS 1102CML?
In the HELP menu there is nothing about it.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2013, 01:02:14 pm »
Who knows what it is "Depth Recover" in the FACTORY submenu in SAVE/RECAL menu on a SIGLENT SDS 1102CML?
In the HELP menu there is nothing about it.

I'm not sure, but I guess it's like a reset to factory defaults but even more ;)

Offline illyesgeza

• Contributor
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2013, 09:50:38 am »
At last, after I flashed the new SIGLENT SDS1102CML FW: 5.01.02.22 on my dso, I succeeded to download all the 1048576 bytes of data on both channels.
The correct syntax to do this: STOP;C1:WF? that's how get channel 1
After that: C2:WF?;RUN for the second channel.
The STOP and RUN are the main issue here.
This is not documented neither by SIGLENT nor by LECROY
If you use *TRG before WF? you'l get only the short mem data because the FW switch temporarily to NORMAL MEM mode

Offline Smoking

• Contributor
    • ATTEN.EU
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2013, 08:54:25 am »
I do not think it is very nice to make a assumption that we are pretending!

Actually, it is not very nice that you pretend with your websites that you are Atten/Siglent. Which you aren't. You are just a reseller.

Hi,

Once again we do not pretend , we are a official distributor and web-shop please check :
http://www.siglent.eu/about-siglenteu-store
Please stop making wrongful assumptions if you have any questions contact me at : http://www.siglent.eu/contacts/

Siglent.eu

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2013, 09:19:24 am »

Actually, it is not very nice that you pretend with your websites that you are Atten/Siglent. Which you aren't. You are just a reseller.

Hi,

Once again we do not pretend , we are a official distributor and web-shop please check :
Please stop making wrongful assumptions if you have any questions contact me at : http://www.siglent.eu/contacts/

Siglent.eu
Although both have the word "official", do you understand the difference between "official manufacturer" vs " official reseller/distributor" ?

Just because someone own the domain name "siglent.xxx", doesn't mean automatically they are the "official manufacturer", am I right ? Again, I'm talking manufacturer, "NOT" reseller nor distributor.

Thread to watch -> [WARNING] Atten.eu , same owner of atten.eu , siglent.eu .... who knows what else hiding behind the sleeve ...  >:D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:26:46 am by BravoV »

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2013, 04:44:41 pm »

Hi,

Siglent.eu

Either you are stupid or you pretend to be stupid. Neither of these alternatives really encourages to patronize your business. 
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2013, 02:16:04 am »

Hi,

Siglent.eu

Either you are stupid or you pretend to be stupid. Neither of these alternatives really encourages to patronize your business.

That website looks just like the typical scam in a computer security book.

Offline JOERGG

• Contributor
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2013, 11:24:09 pm »
Siglent SPD3303, channel 1 is channel 2, vice versa? You confuse me.
Are there two different models? I am aware of the difference in resulution between D and S model, but did you change the channelorder between the two?
http://www.siglent.com/en/news/detail.aspx?id=100000040068753&nodecode=119002004
Take a look at "Timing Output Function by Panel" and "Real-time Waveform Display".
Kind regards
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:58:15 pm by JOERGG »
If i write funny things, because english is not my native language, feel free to laugh. It is not always easy to find the right expression.

Offline BeerCannon

• Contributor
« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2013, 04:39:24 am »
Hi,

I'm new to this forum (and somewhat new to electronics, for that matter).  It's nice to see Siglent here on the forum.  I've been looking at the SDS1102CML and the Rigol DS1102E.  I have no urgent need for an oscilloscope at this point but I think I could learn a lot by having one.  I really like the larger screen, better pixel resolution and larger memory size of the Siglent.  However, the lock-up issues and apparent delays in publishing firmware updates have me a little nervous about the SDS1102CML.

How committed is Siglent to supporting (and updating firmware) these oscilloscopes in the long term?  Will SDS1102CML firmware revisions continue even if Siglent introduces a new line of DSO's in the near future?

I'm really afraid of buying one, owning it for some time then developing a problem, only to find out that support is discontinued.  I know the price of these devices is low compared to other brands and types of oscilloscopes, but $400 doesn't come easy for hobby pursuits in my household.  Regardless, nobody wants a $400 paperweight on their workbench, right? 

So, what can anyone tell me that will alleviate my concerns about these Siglent 'scopes?  I'm a hobbyist and won't be pushing these things anywhere near their design limits, but if I spend the money on a 'scope, I want it to work reliably.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2013, 12:33:13 pm »
BeerCannon, don't fall into the logic trap I once found myself in by assuming that if it has programmable logic in it, the manufacturer has to provide you with the firmware updates on a regular basis by some moral obligation. You don't expect this from your microwave manufacturer after all. There's nothing I'm aware of that is seriously wrong with the Siglent SDS1000 series and it basically does what is says on the box. And the firmware won't suddenly go bad on you overnight. Personally I haven't experienced the lock-up issue but it's great to know that the guys here figured out the way around it. From what I know (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), Rigol doesn't post any firmware updates on their website at all - you have to ask them explicitly. I'm pretty sure that both Rigol's and Siglent's entry level products are great at what they are meant for. If you're worried about it becoming obsolete and unsupported, the Siglent SDS1000CML's are much more recent products than Rigol DS1102E. Anyway, pretty much every piece of equipment you buy is more or less "obsolete" at the very time you buy it and there's not much we could do about it other than learning to cope with it ;)

EDIT:
As for the delay in publishing the *.22 FW update by Siglent, I tried this version and wasn't exactly happy with it - that's why I assume they'll just skip it and publish the one they feel is solid enough.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 12:39:39 pm by Zbig »

Offline fluxcapacitor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2013, 01:23:07 pm »

Hi,

Siglent.eu

That website looks just like the typical scam in a computer security book.

http://www.eurid.eu/en/whois-search

http://nl109546096.fm.alibaba.com/contactinfo.html

http://myworld.ebay.com/j.rijnders/

http://www.whoismind.com/whois/scoob.net.html

http://www.scoob.net/index.php/about-scoob.net

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://nl.linkedin.com/pub/jonas-rijnders/39/3a1/a99&prev=/search%3Fq%3DJR%2BSpecial%2BElectronics%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DjLS%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26channel%3Drcs

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 02:17:25 pm by fluxcapacitor »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf