Low Cost PCB's Low Cost Components

Author Topic: POWER DESIGNS PRECISION POWER SUPPLIES  (Read 176583 times)

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
Re: POWER DESIGNS PRECISION POWER SUPPLIES
« Reply #750 on: August 17, 2017, 03:03:58 AM »
I just sold my 2005A, for $40 because I don't find it visually that appealing and that interface is just nasty to use.  The center knob isn't too bad, but the ring dial gets old in a real hurry when you are changing settings.

Whaaat?  Blasphemy!!   Who let this heathen into the church of the PD?   Cast thee out of  here demon, with thy digital PSU in hand... ;)

The following users thanked this post: don.r, ez24

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #751 on: August 17, 2017, 06:51:29 AM »
Not digital - I worship at the church of HP611x.

If it makes you feel better I have three other PD supplies that I am quite happy with.  Just think that PD got trapped in the technology limits and the attempt to be clever on the 2005A.  It works great, but is no fun to use.  Of course if you are not changing voltages frequently, particularly if you are not going back and forth over the decade boundary it is just fine.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:50:13 PM by CatalinaWOW »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #752 on: August 17, 2017, 07:43:08 AM »
T has better regulation than S. I'm shopping for my son's home lab (3rd year EE) and thought a little old school PSU would fit the bill. 50V @ 1.5A should be plenty. No way he is touching my 2020B... no way.  ;D

BTW, is there a Wiki on EEVblog? Seems to be almost no resources out there for PD collectors... which I guess I am now!  :scared:
I have a 5015A and its performance is absolutely amazing - I tested it throughout its range and the ripple was quite low and the voltage was quite stable. The only letdown for me is that it does not work as a current source.

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #753 on: August 17, 2017, 08:30:40 AM »
T has better regulation than S. I'm shopping for my son's home lab (3rd year EE) and thought a little old school PSU would fit the bill. 50V @ 1.5A should be plenty. No way he is touching my 2020B... no way.  ;D

BTW, is there a Wiki on EEVblog? Seems to be almost no resources out there for PD collectors... which I guess I am now!  :scared:
I have a 5015A and its performance is absolutely amazing - I tested it throughout its range and the ripple was quite low and the voltage was quite stable. The only letdown for me is that it does not work as a current source.

Is the current delivery not flat up to 50V?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 10:14:32 AM by don.r »
Shippers: for the love of Pete and all that is holy, STOP USING UPS INTERNATIONAL!

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #754 on: August 17, 2017, 08:32:56 AM »
Not digital - I worship at the church of HP622x.

That's ok.  I'm bi-denominational.  Currently with 4 PD supplies and 7 HP supplies including a 6114, 6115, 6632a and 6632b.  Shit - when I list them like that it makes me realize I have a PSU issue... :palm:

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #755 on: August 17, 2017, 10:57:16 AM »
Inside, for sure, but I usually don't stare at the internals unless there is an issue or after initial purchase for curiosity sake. When my 5335A Counter died, I parted it out and still have a stack of aluminum left (PM me for parts!). HP is all about the specs and durability which is all well and good but not so much visual appeal, especially for a collector. At any rate, finding a decent HP supply for under $50 is tough but PDs do drop under this price frequently.

Yep, agreed. Unfortunately, most PD supplies don't support CC operation, just a crowbar. IIRC the only ones I've seen with CC are the precision ones and the newer digital display ones. Nevertheless, I've got a fair collection of them.

I know this thread was about the Precision designs but I posted here because it appears to be the only PD thread in the forum with traction.

It's OK. It's been wandering in and out of the precision models for a while.
Some people love tea. Here, TEA is even better!

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #756 on: August 17, 2017, 11:02:35 AM »

Yeah, most don't. The precision models (e.g., 2005, 2005A, 2010, 2020B, 5020) and the newer models with 7-segment displays (e.g., 6050C, TW347D, TW5005D) do.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #757 on: August 17, 2017, 11:12:13 AM »
That's ok.  I'm bi-denominational.  Currently with 4 PD supplies and 7 HP supplies including a 6114, 6115, 6632a and 6632b.  Shit - when I list them like that it makes me realize I have a PSU issue... :palm:

It's OK, mtdoc. GAS comes in many forms. Mine started with power supplies. :-+

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #758 on: August 17, 2017, 11:38:54 AM »

Oh, no. I meant that the current control is a clamp. In other words, the output drops to zero if the limit is reached, requiring power cycling the power supply.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #759 on: September 02, 2017, 11:04:19 AM »

Oh, no. I meant that the current control is a clamp. In other words, the output drops to zero if the limit is reached, requiring power cycling the power supply.

Something must have changed between the A and the S because mine limits like a charm. Once the limit is reached the voltage starts dropping keeping current constant. Raise the limit and the voltage rises again. The only downside is that you need to set the limit with a dead short across the terminals.
Shippers: for the love of Pete and all that is holy, STOP USING UPS INTERNATIONAL!

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #760 on: September 02, 2017, 01:45:41 PM »

Something must have changed between the A and the S because mine limits like a charm. Once the limit is reached the voltage starts dropping keeping current constant. Raise the limit and the voltage rises again. The only downside is that you need to set the limit with a dead short across the terminals.
FWIW, the images I see of the 5015A have a current knob (proper CC) rather than a set screw for current as is the case on other models (some with letters, some without).

My TP343B is one that uses set screws for both current and over voltage (clamp & crowbar respectively). So if either OV or current trip, it has to be power cycled to reset it. Not a big deal, but I did pick up a GW Instek GPC-3020 for instances where I do need a proper CC capable PSU as I couldn't pass it up at just under $60 shipped (triple output, 2x @ 0 - 30V & 0 - 2A, and 1x fixed output @ 5V & 3A). >:D BTW, they're still available on eBay (here).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf