Author Topic: Something amazing! Keysight UXR 110GHz, 256GS/s, 10-bit Scope Teardown & Exp.  (Read 20774 times)

Offline HugoneusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
In this episode Shahriar takes a look at one of the most advanced electrical test and measurement instruments ever created. The Keysight UXR-Series Real-Time Oscilloscope brings 110GHz of analog bandwidth and 256GS/s real-time sampling at 4-channels simultaneously. To make it even more impressive, the entire data-conversion architecture is in 10-bits. This implies that the instruments captures, processes, stores and displays over 10Tb/s of information.

Various architectures of state-of-the art oscilloscopes from Keysight, LeCroy and Tektronix are examined and compared against the new real-time architecture of the UXR-Series oscilloscope. The teardown of the front-end 110GHz module along with the data acquisition board is presented and analyzed in detail. The instrument showcases a wide range of Keysight technologies implemented in various technologies such as InP, SiGe BiCMOS, 65nm CMOS and 28nm CMOS nodes. In combination with Hyper-Cube memory module, data can be captured at 256GS/S from all 4-channels at the same time. Several variants of the UXR-Series oscilloscope will be available from 13GHz to 110GHz bandwidths.

A new calibration probe is also introduced based on the Keysight InP process capable of producing signal edges with sub-3.5ps of rise/fall times with NIST traceable calibration data. This enables users to perform NIST alignment and bandwidth calibration on site without needing to send the instrument back to Keysight.

Several measurements with the scope demonstrates its extraordinarily low noise floor, jitter as well as the capability of the new probe module for instrument calibration. The 110GHz 4-channel variant of the UXR-Series oscilloscope has an MSRP of $1.3 Million US dollars.

You can watch the video here: [54 Minutes]
youtu.be/DXYje2B04xE

More videos at The Signal Path
www.TheSignalPath.com

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Shahriar, congrats on getting first dibs on the new scope and mentions in Keysight's launch vid. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
The 110GHz 4-channel variant of the UXR-Series oscilloscope has an MSRP of $1.3 Million US dollars.

Was it delivered in an armored truck with armed guards??  :o :wtf:

Ed

P.S.  When I started to view the video, Youtube threw up an ad for Tek scopes!  Doh!   :-DD
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:56:49 pm by edpalmer42 »

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Will they be giving away them at next scope month  8)
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: TheBay

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
Damn, there goes the Bugatti....   :palm:

Beautiful mainboard PCB!!!

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Wow, amazing stuff. No need to mod this scope for more bandwidth :)
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
A thing of beauty. Those front-ends are so scary!

It's certainly a step change in just how bad a bad day at the office could really get!  :scared:
Best Regards, Chris

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream

It's certainly a step change in just how bad a bad day at the office could really get!  :scared:

Oops, I just fed 5 volts into the front end, I'll now show myself the door.
VE7FM

Offline srce

• Regular Contributor
I've been designing ICs for years, but that front end makes all the stuff I've worked on look extremely Mickey Mouse.  :palm:

Amazing bit of engineering  :clap:

Offline hscade

• Contributor
True story:

Last week we had a presentation held by Keysight (for the Device Current Waveform Analyzer).  I talked to the sales man about the UXR and he said there is no opportunity to
have a presentation outside of the Keysight labs with this oscilloscope (except you buy one).   ???

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Something amazing! Keysight UXR 110GHz, 256GS/s, 10-bit Scope Teardown & Exp.
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 09:34:16 pm »
Hi boss, I think I just accidentally zapped channel 1  ;D
The few mJ required to do so, are probably the most expensive form of energy. Something in the Peta$/kWh range ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 09:35:48 pm by MadTux »

Offline HugoneusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
Re: Something amazing! Keysight UXR 110GHz, 256GS/s, 10-bit Scope Teardown & Exp.
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 12:08:06 am »
Thank you all. It was difficult to keep the scope a secret until it was released. Truly a marvel of engineering.

PS: In case you don't follow me on twitter, something fun:

Pooch has broken his old record! Now perching on top of the most advanced oscilloscope ever made by humans. He seems pleased with our progress.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, xrunner, egonotto, nrxnrx, newbrain, jjoonathan, BrianHG, lordium

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 12:45:51 am »
Seems Pooch is hungry for the 4-channel version!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
Now THAT is impressive!
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 01:56:14 am »
"Let's go ahead and try and zoom in...
 A little bit more...
 Let's keep going...
 Until we see the sinusoid...
 Aaaaand, here we go...
 There's our sinusoid...
 You can see it very clearly, this is a 108 GHz sinusoid."

O. M. G.   :scared:

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 04:21:57 am »

Serious question, how does a 1.3 million dollar piece of test equipment get delivered to a customer? Would a Keysight representative be present to hand off the equipment to the customer with an official acceptance procedure after some on site functional verification?

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 04:27:29 am »
If the last 25 years are anything to go by, 25 years from now this will be an entry level spec scope.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 04:42:55 am »
If the last 25 years are anything to go by, 25 years from now this will be an entry level spec scope.

Heh...  That's what I was thinking....

How long will it be before one of our kids (or perhaps grandchildren) will rescue one of these "old boatanchor beasts" from a dumpster?  :)

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 05:18:01 am »
Gosh, just gosh!

The only disappointment with this, apart from the fact that Santa is not bringing me one, is that, what with its demise, I won't be able to read the issue of the HP Journal that would previously have been dedicated to describing the design of this.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, KE5FX, salvagedcircuitry, cpt.armadillo

Offline Scratch.HTF

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 06:38:01 am »
I can't wait for an oscilloscope manufacturer to reach (or exceed) a genuine 10^12 samples per second... pricing, anyone?
If it runs on Linux, there is some hackability in it.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 08:03:50 am »
Two channel scopes are around since decades now, I don't understand all this hype.

"Fox 2, green to roll for Mission UXR 2 Hugoneus"

There is very safe and fast delivery sponsored by US Airforce, included in the price.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:11:29 am by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 08:56:01 am »
As two minute papers guy says: “What a time to be alive!”

This is a staggering amount of work. I’m honestly surprised that they could make the numbers add up to justify this project. I hope they sell well. It really cements Keysights place at the top of the T&M pile!

Thanks for the video Sharihar. You have no peers on YouTube when it comes to high end electronics educational content.

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 09:25:20 am »
 :o

But until it measures "pluses", it's no match for the Rigol DS1054Z.   ;D

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 11:40:30 am »
Not happening. 20 year old multi-GHz HP gear even today on ebay still costs far from entry levels :).
Same goes with any bleeding edge piece that is labor-intensive as such, be it 110 GHz scope or 8.5-digit multimeter.

I have another question, regarding the input. Are there any scopes that have waveguide input port, instead of very pricey precision 1.0mm/etc connectors?
Or in this target scope field, that's not important as much, since owner would connect the input cable and never disconnect? Don't see those to last many cable swaps in field, even 2.4mm is quite fragile.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 11:46:09 am by TiN »
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 12:18:47 pm »
Wow, amazing stuff. No need to mod this scope for more bandwidth :)

Or, you could get the bottom-of-the-line 13 GHz model and h**k, I mean upgrade, it to 110 GHz.

John
"Reality is that which, when you quit believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick (RIP).

Online Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 01:59:28 pm »
It sounds like Micron is discontinuing the HMC memory in use by this scope - I wonder how it will impact what Keysight is doing. If HMC is a key enabler for their tech and baked into their digital ASIC (which I suspect they want to use for a long time to come given what it would have cost to develop) then have they got a major issue?

(see https://www.micron.com/support/faqs/products/hybrid-memory-cube and the note about last-time-buy etc)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf