Author Topic: DMM Input Capacitance  (Read 1055 times)

bte and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
Re: DMM Input Capacitance
« Reply #25 on: Today at 08:10:17 am »
The measurement frequency can make quite a difference, as the input can have some resistance (and maybe inductance) from the protection in front of the main input capacitance. With a high test frequency the resistance can hide the capacitance, especially if large. With a low frequency series resistance is less relevant.

For the use of the DMM the additional resistance can also make a difference: it can be enough that loading an OP-amp is no longer an issue.

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #26 on: Today at 01:46:42 pm »
In practice, how often do you drop clipped wire ends and stuff into the mains and USB outlets?  ;)

Never. The outlet is over a foot from my heat resistant work pad. However, if I start doing that now, I'm blaming you. 😉
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: Today at 02:09:22 pm »
So you're injecting a MHz squarewave into the scope and then adding a bunch of stuff to the circuit (cables ...) and its having some effect.  Depending on edge rates, I can certainly understand this.  The fix may not be to find infinite impedance meters and reflectionless test leads.   

Depending what you have for probes, maybe you could flip the setup so the squarewave attaches to the meter using what ever the required termination is, then use a scope probe that fits what ever loading requirements you have.   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf