Author Topic: Streaming view from ds1054z?  (Read 4390 times)

Offline jimdeaneTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Streaming view from ds1054z?
« on: May 23, 2017, 04:11:21 am »
I have read about and seen the ability to capture/save the scope screen. Is there any way to stream the screen display "live" (say 10Hz+)?

This would be useful in a classroom setting. My alternative is a webcam or document camera pointed at the scope/display.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: Streaming view from ds1054z?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 05:27:56 am »
you may try this... http://www.soasystem.com/download/visadso/ it also can record and replay... fwiw..
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 06:26:19 am »

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 06:46:44 am »
I don't know about the efficacy of the above solutions. (Though, I am pretty sure DSremote is slower than the method I am suggesting...)

The fastest way to grab from the 1054z I believe is to run Rigol Bildschirmkopie over USB (not LAN, which is a factor of 3-6x slower as far as I can tell). Then you can use whatever remote desktop software or similar to get a feed from this.

This results in an effective screenshot every 1/3rd-1/5th of a second, which as as good as it gets, I think.

I hope someone can dispute this.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 07:43:10 am »
I don't know about the efficacy of the above solutions. (Though, I am pretty sure DSremote is slower than the method I am suggesting...)

The fastest way to grab from the 1054z I believe is to run Rigol Bildschirmkopie over USB (not LAN, which is a factor of 3-6x slower as far as I can tell). Then you can use whatever remote desktop software or similar to get a feed from this.

This results in an effective screenshot every 1/3rd-1/5th of a second, which as as good as it gets, I think.

I hope someone can dispute this.

You are wrong. Screenupdates with DSRemote takes 250 milli-Sec. per channel. So, when only one channel is active, you have a framerate of 4 fps.
With all four channels enabled the fps decreases to 1/sec.
This is not a limitation of DSRemote but the firmware of the scope. There is no other software that can do it faster.

Second, there's practically no difference in speed between LAN or USB.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 07:59:18 am »
visadso is not meant to stream the screenshots, but single shot grab and saved to file is pretty quick process, streamed screenshots should be around that figure if not faster. visadso grab raw data from ds1000z at 1/5th - 1/15th a sec over USB and display it on the interface, or at the same time stream it to file storage.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:02:00 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 08:01:42 am »

You are wrong. Screenupdates with DSRemote takes 250 milli-Sec. per channel. So, when only one channel is active, you have a framerate of 4 fps.
With all four channels enabled the fps decreases to 1/sec.
This is not a limitation of DSRemote but the firmware of the scope. There is no other software that can do it faster.

It seems that technogeeky is reporting 3..5 fps via Peter Dreisiebner's "Bildschirmkopie" -- which would be on par with your software in single-channel mode, but significantly faster in multi-channel mode?

I understand that the difference is that you download the actual trace data, while Bildschirmkopie downloads screen dumps, which may be more effective for displaying multiple channels -- right?

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 08:14:32 am »
on single channel, visadso stream ds1000z data at 15 - 21++ fps, on 4 channels, its 3 - 6++ fps. the screenshot dump will be small resolution, blurred or pixelated effect will visible on large screen. with raw data, redraw can be done with sharp traces on large screen.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 08:30:56 am »
If the screen buffer is 800*480 ~= 380kB, to stream that @10Hz (and no compression for ~ nil cpu load) it's 3.8MB/s. IDK if that's too much or not for its LAN. But the program to do that is trivial.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:40:53 pm by GeorgeOfTheJungle »
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 11:33:39 am »
I understand that the difference is that you download the actual trace data, ...

That's correct. And the software needs to send a command to the scope for every single channel.
Problem is, after the firmware receives the command, it responds after approx 250 milli-Sec.
Don't take my word for it, you can check for yourself with https://www.wireshark.org/.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf