Author Topic: Suggestions for AC/DC RMS Clampmeter  (Read 1720 times)

Offline RAVCTopic starter

Suggestions for AC/DC RMS Clampmeter
« on: April 30, 2017, 11:50:48 pm »
I need to purchase and AC/DC RMS clampmeter and have narrowed the list yet, thought members here might me able to enhance my efforts.  To date, the Klein Tools CL800 appears to be high on the list with regard to value.  I have also examined Fluke, B & K Precision and, Mastech.  The Uni-T UT210E looks to be difficult to challenge if its spec's meet your needs but its low current capability will not meet my needs.  However, I may buy one to give my son an education in electronics.

I have spent a lot of time looking at used equipment as well but, do not see the sense in this unless I know the history of the meter.

The option I have not evaluated well is the multimeter, clamp as separate components.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 01:17:04 am by RAVC »

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Suggections for AC/DC RMS Clampmeter
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 12:56:32 am »
Don't know what your needs are, but check out the Amprobe AMP-2xx and AMP-3xx series made by Brymen.

Offline RAVCTopic starter

Re: Suggestions for AC/DC RMS Clampmeter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 01:20:07 am »
You are right.  The AMP-220 and AMP-320 appear to be nice options.  They are a little more costly for me so, I have some thinking to do.  I was considering a used B&K Precision 313A but, B&K informed me these tend to lose their accuracy.  Not much, and this was not quantified for me during my discussion with technical support yet, this gives rise to a $40 fee for a NIST calibration and $20 for shipping.  These fees make the used market a less attractive option.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
Re: Suggestions for AC/DC RMS Clampmeter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 05:09:37 am »
If it's a possibility, compare a decent brand cheapie with a Fluke and if readings are close, especially on clamped DC,  it's good enough imho    :-+

Durability, robustness and budget is your call

fwiw the Uni-T UT210E is next on my wish list for the low AC/DC current ranges and small size.
(assuming I can get one on Ebay Australia from a genuine stockist seller that accepts non-paypal money)  ::)

I suspect some EEVites will pop by shortly to suggest lotsa goodies   8)

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 07:52:50 am by Electro Detective »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf