Author Topic: Suggestions for old - bad scope Wittig W2022  (Read 2457 times)

Offline geek66Topic starter

Suggestions for old - bad scope Wittig W2022
« on: April 10, 2018, 12:47:13 am »
So a few years ago I picked this without doing much research, maybe $300?  -- IDK. 

It works, but all of the issues are there ( SLOW, noisy, etc) .  I was able to find a firmware upgrade, but all of the info was in German, and not wanting to brick it, I did not get far ( Regardless the sourceforge site is now gone:  https://sourceforge.net/projects/welecw2000a/ )

So any ideas what to do with this?

If anyone wants it make an offer. 

I am thinking of building a HV curve tracer, and then I could use this as the dedicated display. 

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Suggestions for old - bad scope Wittig W2022
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 12:11:10 am »
I have one that I dumped at work as I didn't need it at home anymore. Trigger on channel 1 is bad on mine, but channel 2 works ok.
The firmware upgrade works, I used BF version which is what you linked to it looks like. Site is still up. It improves things quite a bit but there is only so much you can do, the base hardware is still limited and noisy.

It might be good for a secondary display as you say. The roll mode works OK. Maybe try to trigger it off a two channel scope to use as a 3/4th channel, as it has an extern input.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline geek66Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 03:15:52 pm »
Thanks - I would feel guilty selling it to anyone that did not know what they were getting.

As for the FW upgrade - It does seem to be there now - I was getting a failed page.   Amazingly they did an update a month ago?... but I still do not know the procedure.   Do you have any thing like that or know where it might be?

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 08:29:25 pm »
Download and extract the firmware: https://sourceforge.net/projects/welecw2000a/files/Open%20Source%20Firmware/1.2.BF.7.x/1.2.BF.7.14C2.zip/download

Check in the doc folder for documentation like how to upgrade.
Will require a serial cable connected to the serial port.

It may take a few tries to get the programming timing right, if I remember.

Win32:

For windows user I added the tool WelecUpdate.exe with a little GUI which makes it a little bit more comfortable.

Start the GERMS monitor on your DSO!

Start the WelecUpdater by double click. Choose the correct COM port from the drop down menu. Choose the firmware file (TomCat.flash or TomCat.ram). Start upload. The configuration will be written in a config file. If you use it once more the settings will be preset from the config file. The upload needs about 3 minutes.

GERMS monitor:
- Switch on your DSO.
- Press the left two function keys under the screen (first F1 holding then F2 short). The screen will become white and then black
- the monitor has started.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 09:01:52 pm »
I remember these scopes. Somebody I know bought one. The Wittig brothers stalled him with vague answers until the return window slammed shut and then they ignored him after that.

You have to use the RS232 port to do the update. The USB port won't work. The open source public firmware does make it better than the stock firmware but the actual hardware is incredibly noisy IIRC.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline simone.mannori

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 06:40:41 am »
Hi,
I have a W2022 too. Before the firmware upgade it was _unusable_. I bought it "second hand" (practically new) for 200 bucks (including accessories). After the firmware upgrade (Google traslate helps) the scope is slow & noisy but usable.
The original sourceforge project page is gone (it was full of interesting info).
The project is now available here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/welecw2000a/?source=navbar
Cheers

Offline IvanX286

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 05:01:28 pm »
Hello!!!
 i need help with my oscilloscope Wittag W2022
 after my update with new firmwire oscilloscope after power on not show boot screens.... what is wrong?
 germs on - work
 rs232 update - work
 altera usb programing - work - after updating demo programs show picture - after power off and poer on nothing boot

Help!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf