Author Topic: BenchVue 3.0 now available – ask the BenchVue team anything  (Read 138520 times)

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
Re: BenchVue 3.0 now available – ask the BenchVue team anything
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2015, 07:19:05 pm »
Why don't you sync the clock of the virtual windows PC, before you start any Keysight services or application. You can even automate this during the startup of your virtual PC

You guys are missing the point. The Mac and Virtual PC clocks are in sync. When I stop using the virtual PC it goes to sleep at whatever time I stop. When I start using it again 3 days later, just think of it like one of the clock pulses on my PC lasted 3 days. The Virtual PC software resyncs it to the Mac clock, and the Keysight license server goes "oops, clock just went forward 3 days", then puts up endless dialogs warning me about trying to fiddle with the clock to defeat the licencing. I'm afraid the software design has not realised that the clock could *validly* jump forward 3 days.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:23:35 pm by ralphrmartin »

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2015, 07:21:08 pm »
hi ralphrmartin! We are aware of this behavior and its something that we hope to change in future builds. LabSpokane is correct in that the license manager is causing the alert. Of course, its all Keysight software and we need to work internally to ensure that users don't have these types of experiences. Your use case and feedback has been captured and I hope to see a positive fix for this issue in future releases.

~David

Excellent. I look forward to an update to the licence server. I'd be happy to test any newer version if you want me to try it out.

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2015, 07:49:42 pm »
@Bencvue Team:

The Excel plugin of Command Expert doesn't seem to work with the 64bit versions of Excel (I've tried 2010 and 2013), although there's no warning or similar when installing. Are there any plans/an ETA for when Command Expert will be compatible with 64bit Excel?

I'm using 2013 x64 bit version and it works. If the tab with Command Expert is missing in Excel just run the file c:\Program Files (x86)\Agilent\Command Expert\Keysight.CommandExpert.Addons.Excel.vsto
If there is any error try it again. After that it should be working.
I hope this helps.

There are also other possibilities how to control instruments in Excel  for example by Visual basic. Tutorial made by Bill Griffith:

I did not find the tutorial xls file, maybe other will find it:)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:56:12 pm by plesa »

Offline BenchVue TeamTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2015, 08:29:40 pm »
Thanks for the update, but I do not see a green update flag.
May it is because my Pro Trial DMM App has expired?

The pro trial should not have any affect on the ability to see and download the update. Let me know if you still aren't seeing the update as it's been a few days since it has been published.

No, still the same, I do not see an update button or flag for that App
I will install it tomorrow on another PC, may be that one will work.

Is it possible that you have turned off the automatic checking for updates? This setting can be found by going to the Gear icon on the top right, then click on Settings.

The Settings box will then pop up. Go to the Updates/Privacy Tab. From here, you may initiate an update check immediately or set BenchVue to automatically check for updates on startup at various periods. See attached image for reference.

~David

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2015, 12:44:26 am »
There are also other possibilities how to control instruments in Excel  for example by Visual basic. Tutorial made by Bill Griffith:

I did not find the tutorial xls file, maybe other will find it:)
Will watch these to see if my wonder at no VBA support are unfounded...

ETA: Nope! Both videos show Connection Expert being used purely to get the VISA address of the instrument on the clipboard. All the code is hand written.

I find it puzzling that Command Expert does not produce VBA code for Excel, yet produces everything else from VB.NET, C, MATLAB, even Python code! Of course it's not difficult to go and generate the code in one format and manually change it to VBA but it defeats the purpose.

I can only imagine the VBA code gen was actually in there and then some pointy headed manager demanded its removal, as the Excel Plug-in "should" be more than good enough  :-//

Then again maybe I am not looking hard enough for it. But these videos of how to use Command Expert for your VBA code are very cringeworthy.

Can I ask the Keysight developers why it is so difficult to implement VBA code generation, when you can do a brilliant job with everything else?  :-DD
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 01:03:15 am by Macbeth »

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2015, 08:17:11 am »
Is it possible that you have turned off the automatic checking for updates? This setting can be found by going to the Gear icon on the top right, then click on Settings.

The Settings box will then pop up. Go to the Updates/Privacy Tab. From here, you may initiate an update check immediately or set BenchVue to automatically check for updates on startup at various periods. See attached image for reference.

~David
Hello David
The automatic checking was turned on (check mark set)
I removed the check mark, restarted BV, set the check mark again, restarted BN.
The flag is still not there.
I also checked manually for updates and none were found.
And the flag is not showing up in the DMM APP.
Hmmm...
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2015, 02:15:26 pm »
Just as a data point, my BenchVue DMM app updated to 3.1 just now without a problem.

I'm quite liking BenchVue v3, even if it is a bit slow and wasteful of screen space.  I hadn't tried BV v2, and I was still using the old Agilent DMM and BenchLink Data Logger apps.  Nice to now have one program that talks to both my 34401A and 34970A.

All of my existing HP/Agilent gear is 2nd hand (because it generally works fine, and I can get more gear for the same $$), but I think this new version of BV has helped me to finally decide to go ahead with a purchase of a brand new 34465A.

It is a pity the non-Pro DMM app can only log for 1 hour, but at least the non-Pro DAQ app can do long term logging.  But after playing with Command Expert I am inspired to have a go at writing my own logging app in C#.  I don't need all that fancy UI just to query and write some numbers out to disk.

• Contributor
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2015, 06:34:32 pm »
Just as a data point, my BenchVue DMM app updated to 3.1 just now without a problem.

I'm quite liking BenchVue v3, even if it is a bit slow and wasteful of screen space.  I hadn't tried BV v2, and I was still using the old Agilent DMM and BenchLink Data Logger apps.  Nice to now have one program that talks to both my 34401A and 34970A.

All of my existing HP/Agilent gear is 2nd hand (because it generally works fine, and I can get more gear for the same $$), but I think this new version of BV has helped me to finally decide to go ahead with a purchase of a brand new 34465A.

It is a pity the non-Pro DMM app can only log for 1 hour, but at least the non-Pro DAQ app can do long term logging.  But after playing with Command Expert I am inspired to have a go at writing my own logging app in C#.  I don't need all that fancy UI just to query and write some numbers out to disk.

Glad to hear we've been "instrumental" in helping you decide to order a 34465A!

Your comment about screen space has been echoed by others here. I'm actually in a meeting as I type this in which we are discussing how we might make the screen space more efficient, especially on small monitors. If anyone has specific suggestions and ideas, we'd love to hear them.

Brian

Offline alanambrose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2015, 06:57:37 pm »
>>>
Thank you for your input. The 3458A is a special DMM, I had the pleasure of redesigning the production test system for it many years ago and it is still the highest performing DMM in Keysight's arsenal. While the 3458A is not supported at this release, we are continuing to add new models all the time. I will make sure that it is included in our product planning and considered for future support.
<<<

I don't want to seem ungrateful but this meter launched in '88, so you've had a while to think about it...

Alan
“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2015, 07:29:50 pm »
If anyone has specific suggestions and ideas, we'd love to hear them.

Well to start with, why not stick more to the standard windows design guide?
This is a well tried and tested GUI which because we are used to it, is operation-wise
to my mind more efficient albeit less sexy that that big black Benchvue hole.
Man, we are doing measurements and can do well without eye candy.

Yours - Messtechniker

P.S.: My 34465A now works with BV 3.1. Thanks for the update anyway.
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Online Alex Nikitin

• Super Contributor
  • Femtoampnut and Tapehead.
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2015, 08:57:52 pm »
Thank you for your input. The 3458A is a special DMM, I had the pleasure of redesigning the production test system for it many years ago and it is still the highest performing DMM in Keysight's arsenal. While the 3458A is not supported at this release, we are continuing to add new models all the time. I will make sure that it is included in our product planning and considered for future support.

Hi David,

Perhaps you could at least arrange a command set for the 3458A to be added to the Command Expert?

Cheers

Alex

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE biz & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2015, 11:17:58 pm »
Am new to BenchVue but so far it's proving invaluable.

One thing though, using the DMM Datalogger, when I stop the log then restart again I always have to rescale the vertical scale, I.e. Reset to 20uV/div.........be nice if there was an option to have it remember ALL the previous session graph settings.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Manufacturer of the PDVS2mini & author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website & Online Shop: www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2015, 05:03:07 pm »
... when I stop the log then restart again I always have to rescale the vertical scale

I'm guessing this is because you have the Y axis auto-scale enabled.

Offline blackdog

• Frequent Contributor
  • Please stop pushing bullshit...
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2015, 05:26:25 pm »
Hi David,  ;)

I use BenchVue over a year now and it keeps getting better. (Yes i have a license for my two 34461A DMM's)
I do find it very odd, that your very best DMM the "3458A" was not addet as one of the first in BenchVue.
Yes its special, yes its old, yes its verry good, please, please, please ad it to BenchVue!

Thank and kind regarts,
Blackdog
Necessity is not an established fact, but an interpretation.

• Contributor
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2015, 09:20:24 pm »

I don't want to seem ungrateful but this meter launched in '88, so you've had a while to think about it...

Alan

Hi David,

Perhaps you could at least arrange a command set for the 3458A to be added to the Command Expert?

Cheers

Alex
Hi David,  ;)

I use BenchVue over a year now and it keeps getting better. (Yes i have a license for my two 34461A DMM's)
I do find it very odd, that your very best DMM the "3458A" was not addet as one of the first in BenchVue.
Yes its special, yes its old, yes its verry good, please, please, please ad it to BenchVue!

Thank and kind regarts,
Blackdog

Hi Alan, Alex, and Blackdog (and all of the 3458A users reading this)!

Thank you for your usage of our great DMM and the interest that you have in getting the 3458A into BenchVue. As I said before, the 3458A is a special DMM and it has been out there for a while. Part of the reason why we haven’t been able to support the 3458A so far is because it is so different than our modern DMMs. The commands, data reporting, and lower level GPIB events are very different than the DMMs that handle SCPI compliant commands. Getting the 3458A to work with BenchVue (and Command Expert) is  not a trivial task. Many of the instruments in a instrument app have similar commands with a few variations, so it allows us to get more bang for our buck. Due to resource limitations, we decided to support more instrument types and expand our BenchVue solution to support users that have Power meters, DAQ, Spectrum analyzers, and network analyzers. To date our current 3.0 version supports 8 types of instruments with over 300 models. 

With that said, the more that we hear from our customers (including all of you!) about a certain type of instrument, the more likely the instrument will be added to BenchVue. So I do encourage all of you to comment in this forum, speak to your Keysight representative (that includes a distributor like Newark or Allied), and use the email link found at the bottom of www.keysight.com/find/benchvueinstruments.   We love feedback and hearing the voice of the user. I’ve captured the feedback so far from this forum. If more people want to chime in about which instrument, including the 3458A or others already noted, it will provide us more data points to direct our resources.

~David

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE biz & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2015, 09:36:31 pm »
... when I stop the log then restart again I always have to rescale the vertical scale

I'm guessing this is because you have the Y axis auto-scale enabled.

No, it's disabled.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Manufacturer of the PDVS2mini & author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website & Online Shop: www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline Fgrir

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2015, 09:53:04 pm »
I love the new support for the WaveGen in my MSO-X 3000, but is there any plan to support all the waveform modes?  Sin/Square/Ramp/Pulse/DC limitation is sort of annoying when you want to use Sinc, Arb, etc.

Offline PioB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2015, 11:14:08 am »
Hi,

at work we acquired a 34465A. Unfortunately, Benchvue seems to not like it very much and crashes often ( which I thought should be ok now, after page 5).
It says "data log running" upon starting it, but nothing is displayed, no values; if I hit stop, nothing happens for about a minute, then it seems to exit. I attached a screenshot of the app.
 This problem did not exist with a 34401A or a 34410A.
 (Or is the "Digitizer" option the data logger? Then the tab should not be visible at all for the 34465 or is there a special "Digitizer" tab?)

Benchvue: 3.0.1510.08
Library: 1.2
DMM Pro, licensed, V.  3.1
34465A, A.02.09-02.37-02.09-00.49-02-01

My other wishes are still
-an undo-button for whatever I did last, change in program, setting,...
-directly editable fields for text entry (at the moments it's pop ups with the cursor never at the location I need it) I wish to be able to click somewhere in a file name e.g. and stay typing right there and not have to click at the correct spot in a second window.

Thank you very much for your help and for a very helpful tool.

Offline PioB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2015, 11:17:32 am »
After writing the previous message, I changed back to benchvue and without disconnecting the instrument or touching the USB connectors at either end, I get the message "connection to instrument lost".

The field "Error:" is empty and nothing happens upon clicking "resume", after some time the window blanks out.

ETA: Excuse the double posting, but I didn't see any option to add another attachment to the previous post.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 11:19:47 am by PioB »

• Contributor
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2015, 03:55:47 pm »
After writing the previous message, I changed back to benchvue and without disconnecting the instrument or touching the USB connectors at either end, I get the message "connection to instrument lost".

The field "Error:" is empty and nothing happens upon clicking "resume", after some time the window blanks out.

ETA: Excuse the double posting, but I didn't see any option to add another attachment to the previous post.

Hi Pio,

Sorry you're having this problem. It looks like you may be using NI IO Libraries. I can tell because there is no "star" icon in the lower right corner of the BenchVue screen and because of all the red X's on the unsupported instruments. If this is the case, then BenchVue would be using NI's VISA libraries. If they are broken, it can cause all sorts of problems. I would suggest removal of NI IO Libraries (which will remove visa32.dll), followed by a "Modify" of Keysight's IOLS to make it Primary (which will restore visa32.dll). If that is not desirable in your case, I would try uninstalling VISA 64 and IVI Shared Components, then re-installing Keysight IOLS 17.1. This should fix any VISA issues that might be causing the problem.

The reason you don't see a digitizer tab on the 34465A is because your DMM does not have the DIG option. BenchVue requires 34465A/70A models to have this option before the digitizer code is enabled.

Thanks also for the other suggestions.

If you continue to have troubles, please use the gear icon to "Report an Issue", which will zip up some log files and attach them to an email which you can then send. Those emails go directly to me, and I look at them as soon as they are received.

Brian

• Contributor
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2015, 07:56:45 pm »
I love the new support for the WaveGen in my MSO-X 3000, but is there any plan to support all the waveform modes?  Sin/Square/Ramp/Pulse/DC limitation is sort of annoying when you want to use Sinc, Arb, etc.

I've added this enhancement request to our system.

Brian

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2015, 08:37:24 am »
Running promo to obtain PRO version of DMM, DAQ, FG.
Bench DMM: 34401A, 34410A, 34411A. 34450A, 3446xA 34470A
Bench Function Generator: 33210A, 33220A, 33250A, 33521A, 33522A, 33509B, 33510B, 33511B, 33512B, 33519B, 33520B, 33521B, 33522B, 3611A, 33612A, 33621A, 33622A
Bench Data Acquisition: 34970A & 34972A
Unfortunately it does not apply to instruments purchased in past :--
I will expect this kind of offer to registered instruments and not only new purchases :(

https://www.keysight.com/main/editorial.jspx?cc=GB&lc=eng&ckey=2620987&id=2620987&cmpid=1-7025931885

There is another running promo for 16M memory upgrade of 33511B, 33512B, 33521B, 33522B, 33611A, 33612A, 33621A, 33622A
https://www.keysight.com/main/editorial.jspx?cc=AE&lc=eng&ckey=2496226&id=2496226
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:50:34 am by plesa »

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2015, 01:27:53 am »
Well, I wanted to try BenchVue but  can't even get it to start. It just loads the splash screen and then crashes. It then offers to show me the location of a zip file since I don't have an email client installed on my home pc. I'm not sure WHERE to send the zip file to, it would be nice if it told you this in the message that shows me where the zip file is.

Systems Stats:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.50GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 4.00GB (3.89GB usable)
HDD: Samsung EVO 850 500GB  (404GB Free)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 01:35:25 am by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

• Contributor
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2015, 10:46:06 pm »
Well, I wanted to try BenchVue but  can't even get it to start. It just loads the splash screen and then crashes. It then offers to show me the location of a zip file since I don't have an email client installed on my home pc. I'm not sure WHERE to send the zip file to, it would be nice if it told you this in the message that shows me where the zip file is.

Systems Stats:

Sorry you're having trouble. The zip file should be sent to benchvue dot support at keysight dot com. All such reports go directly to me and I answer all of them as soon as I can, often within minutes,, so please do send it along. I'm particularly interested in seeing what might be wrong with your Windows 10 installation. We have tested it on W10, but there are lots of variables. I'll look at the logs and see what I can do to get you going.

Brian

• Contributor
« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2015, 05:51:05 pm »

Systems Stats:

Sorry you're having trouble. The zip file should be sent to benchvue dot support at keysight dot com. All such reports go directly to me and I answer all of them as soon as I can, often within minutes,, so please do send it along. I'm particularly interested in seeing what might be wrong with your Windows 10 installation. We have tested it on W10, but there are lots of variables. I'll look at the logs and see what I can do to get you going.

Brian

I looked at the logs, and found that SQLite is failing to start. This is a database we use for the library. It also looks like you may be using a pre-release version of Windows 10 that may not have the required libraries that are used with SQLite. I poked around online for an answer and found a blog that describes how to get SQLite working on pre-released copies of W10 (see attachment). But it would probably be best to make sure your W10 installation is current.

Brian

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 06:00:00 pm by BenchVue Team »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf