Author Topic: BenchVue 3.0 now available – ask the BenchVue team anything  (Read 138490 times)

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
Re: BenchVue 3.0 now available – ask the BenchVue team anything
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2015, 01:48:32 am »
Hey EEVBlog members! We’re part of the Keysight BenchVue team and we are here to answer your questions on BenchVue. We’ll be monitoring this thread to answer your questions. Ask us anything!

Well, unfortunately the BenchVue 3.0 update did not work out well for me. The older version (2.7 I think) worked but did not see much use. The update installed with an error message of some sort which I don’t remember. My Keysight 34465A appeared at the bottom in the list but when selecting it for operation BenchVue 3.0 crashed (Windows 7 32 bit with dual screens). After this I uninstalled the whole affair because I was bent on doing something productive (see my contribution here - No. 4 in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/building-your-own-voltage-reference-the-jvr/60/), instead of troubleshooting a programme I intended not to use very much anyway. Sorry folks.

Yours – Messtechniker
I reported the 34465A bug to Keysight last week and they confirmed it and said they are working on a hot fix.

Looks like the issue is that they are trying to use a DIG-option function, and if the option is not enabled, the DMM returns an error, which spooks BV.

Looks like they only tested on fully optioned units ?
Works fine on the 34461A.

Laurent

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2015, 01:58:16 am »
One thing I'd like to see in BV is synchronized acquisition/display of multiple instruments (DMMs in my case), i.e.  having the same time base / x axis and two curves on the y axis instead of having different fully independent windows.

Offline BenchVue TeamTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2015, 01:58:54 am »
Hey EEVBlog members! ... Ask us anything!

Why are cows big and mice small? Why don't you get cows the size of mice, or mice the size of cows?

A: Evolution.  Also, don't plan on that being the case forever.

Quote from: Messtechniker
Well, unfortunately the BenchVue 3.0 update did not work out well for me. The older version (2.7 I think) worked but did not see much use. The update installed with an error message of some sort which I don’t remember. My Keysight 34465A appeared at the bottom in the list but when selecting it for operation BenchVue 3.0 crashed (Windows 7 32 bit with dual screens). After this I uninstalled the whole affair because I was bent on doing something productive (see my contribution here - No. 4 in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/building-your-own-voltage-reference-the-jvr/60/), instead of troubleshooting a programme I intended not to use very much anyway. Sorry folks.
Truly sorry you experienced installation issues Messtechniker.  If you do decide to give BenchVue another try please contact us directly via PM and we will attempt to resolve the issue you encountered.  We are aware of a current issue with the 34465A without the digitizer option, that fix is coming shortly.  Without knowing more about your situation I can't claim its the issue you encountered.

Quote from: nctnico
No way to show such a graph in Benchvue?
Edit: Not presently.

One thing I'd like to see in BV is synchronized acquisition/display of multiple instruments (DMMs in my case), i.e.  having the same time base / x axis and two curves on the y axis instead of having different fully independent windows.
Great idea, we'll make sure the team considers it for future improvements.
~Jeff
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 02:02:54 am by BenchVue Team »

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2015, 06:30:58 am »
Hey EEVBlog members! We’re part of the Keysight BenchVue team and we are here to answer your questions on BenchVue. We’ll be monitoring this thread to answer your questions. Ask us anything!

Is the BenchVue Mobile Android app available via other means than Google Play store only?

http://www.keysight.com/main/editorial.jspx?cc=GB&lc=eng&ckey=2428702&nid=-32762.1080833&id=2428702

Considering that not all Android devices can have Google Play (and not everyone wants to run Android with the invasive Google Services), and that this is an app that targets technically savy people (engineers), I'd think that a direct download of the apk file could be offered. Failing that, at least put it on the Amazon Android Store as well.

I'll see what I can do about this. Give me a few days and I'll update this thread.
~David

Great! Thanks!

Online Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2015, 06:58:46 am »
Truly sorry you experienced installation issues Messtechniker.  If you do decide to give BenchVue another try please contact us directly via PM and we will attempt to resolve the issue you encountered.  We are aware of a current issue with the 34465A without the digitizer option, that fix is coming shortly.  Without knowing more about your situation I can't claim its the issue you encountered.

Thank you for you fast response an your offer to resolve the problem.
Since a remedy is in the pipeline and the matter is not urgent to me,
I can easily wait for the hot fix. Just ring the bell when its ready :) .

Yours  - Messtechniker

Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2015, 07:03:57 am »
I have a 33250A and have tried your benchlink waveform software. The 'trial/unlicensed' version is quite limited and the 'list' at $766 for the complete version is a heck of a lot of $$ for not much capability.

Seems a very rudimentary piece of software to charge so much for. Given the test equipment is already premium priced and a large investment, the software costs are just another painful pill to swallow/justify. Maybe a large company doesn't see that as an expense, but for the little guy that's a lot of money for what is just a 'drawing' program...

cheers,
george.

Hi George.  We appreciate you taking the time to provide the feedback.  Keysight's prices do attempt to reflect all the engineering, manufacturing, support and yes marketing that goes into creating and selling the products.  I don't have an alternate answer for you at this time but did want to acknowledge your comment.

Thank you for the release v3 of BenchVue
I have been using BenchVue for over a year now and it works really great for the applications I had.

Integrating more instruments, like the counters 53220A and 53230A would be really great!
Thanks for the positive feedback, the team feeds off of all the customer compliments the product has got over the past year.  Regarding the counters, we will make sure our team considers them in future versions.  As a longer term user you know we continue to add support for new models regularly.

~Jeff

Offline lukaq

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2015, 08:48:00 am »
If there is any way, use less number of services in windows in future builds, if that is possible. Don't use BV all the time and since am on pretty limited resource machine, I need to turn off BV services, since I can't do nothing like that from BV itself

Offline SimonD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2015, 09:34:54 am »
Hi BenchVue guys,
i have an old good HP 54602B oscilloscope. Is there any chance for all of us with old good stuff to see any support for BenchVue in the near future ?
Thanks in advance for your answer.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2015, 09:46:14 am »
Thank you for your input. The 3458A is a special DMM, I had the pleasure of redesigning the production test system for it many years ago and it is still the highest performing DMM in Keysight's arsenal. While the 3458A is not supported at this release, we are continuing to add new models all the time. I will make sure that it is included in our product planning and considered for future support.

This will be true for all requests in this thread. Development and SQ (software quality) takes time and resources but please voice your opinion on what types of instruments you would like to see supported. We will be keeping track of this thread and are actively working to add instruments.

BenchVue is designed by engineers for engineers. The engineers that we focus on are users that aren't programmers and want to be able to accomplish a task simply. BenchVue is Keysight's answer for users that have struggled to connect their PC to their instrument. For users that need to document their results but still use a camera to take a screenshot. For users that need to visualize their results in a graph but might struggle with the various data types and keeping track of results. We have had feedback on our user interface and are constantly working on improvements. I can't speak of future plans in detail but the gray background feedback has been taken to heart.

If you are already experiencing crashes, please use the built in feedback tool that BenchVue has (if BenchVue allows you to get that far). If not, we would be glad to work with you to solve your problem. Feel free to PM us on the EEBlog and we can work with you to get it resolved.

~David
Well, thank you, it is good to hear. I'm pleased with the 3458A, if only data collection would be a little easier.
I have a special thinking about UIs, most of the time, less is more. I also dont like programs, which "reinvent the button" for the user interface, but at least this one is consistent.
After a restart, the 3.0 version started working, so I'm going to say it was an user error.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2015, 12:17:22 pm »
I have a 33250A and have tried your benchlink waveform software. The 'trial/unlicensed' version is quite limited and the 'list' at $766 for the complete version is a heck of a lot of $$ for not much capability.

Seems a very rudimentary piece of software to charge so much for. Given the test equipment is already premium priced and a large investment, the software costs are just another painful pill to swallow/justify. Maybe a large company doesn't see that as an expense, but for the little guy that's a lot of money for what is just a 'drawing' program...

Hi George.  We appreciate you taking the time to provide the feedback.  Keysight's prices do attempt to reflect all the engineering, manufacturing, support and yes marketing that goes into creating and selling the products.  I don't have an alternate answer for you at this time but did want to acknowledge your comment.

I just want to chime in and say that I have to agree with George, the individual 'Pro' modules are pretty expensive for what they do.

I regularly buy test equipment for medium-sized and large corporations, and the general interest in BV seems to be pretty limited, mostly due to price. There's a (not completely unjustified) view that Keysight's instruments are already priced at the upper end of the spectrum, and it's expected that some of that price should carry the availability of add-on tools like BV and that at least some of the charged for functionality should reasonably be included in the free version of BV, plus the 'Pro' upgrade price should be lower.

At the end of the day, from what I see I'm sure that Keysight could sell a lot more 'Pro' modules if the price was closer to $300 to $400 than the $700+ as it is now.

Also, don't forget that the availability of a decently priced test software can be a great marketing tool.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2015, 12:24:21 pm »

Another thing:

The BenchVue Spectrum Analyzer module seems to support the PSA Series, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to include the E4406A VSA (which is essentially just a cut-down PSA).

I know that the E4406A is unsupported, but considering that it's basically just another PSA it would be great if it could be supported in BV. There are still lots of E4406A's around and in use.

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2015, 02:56:02 pm »
If there is any way, use less number of services in windows in future builds, if that is possible. Don't use BV all the time and since am on pretty limited resource machine, I need to turn off BV services, since I can't do nothing like that from BV itself
If you are not actively running an activity in BenchVue the CPU consumption should be very small, if you see something different please let us know via PM and we'll attempt to diagnose the cause.  Is it possible are you referring to RAM utilization while keeping BV open in the background?

Hi BenchVue guys,
i have an old good HP 54602B oscilloscope. Is there any chance for all of us with old good stuff to see any support for BenchVue in the near future ?
Thanks in advance for your answer.
Glad to hear your HP scope continues to serve you well.  There is a chance of future formal support but we are focused on supporting our more recent products.  It is possible to use the SCPI Block in Test Flow to do some things via BenchVue, but it is a more manual process not reflecting the turnkey functionality found in the BenchVue oscilloscope app.

I just want to chime in and say that I have to agree with George, the individual 'Pro' modules are pretty expensive for what they do...
Thanks for the feedback.  We do regularly evaluate our pricing strategy based on all the things I mentioned earlier.  BenchVue does provide a lot of capability for no cost, but as a consumer ourselves we certainly appreciate wanting to get as much value as possible when buying things.   

The BenchVue Spectrum Analyzer module seems to support the PSA Series, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to include the E4406A VSA (which is essentially just a cut-down PSA).

I know that the E4406A is unsupported, but considering that it's basically just another PSA it would be great if it could be supported in BV. There are still lots of E4406A's around and in use.
Like the other requested models, we will be certain to include this VSA for consideration in future support.  Thanks.

~Jeff
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 02:57:58 pm by BenchVue Team »

Offline PioB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2015, 03:52:54 pm »
Over the past week I measured input leakage currents of a few MCU using a loaner BV2902 SMU. The test flow update could not have come timelier, thank you very much. The scratch-inspired programming made it very easy to set the measurement up and run it. Two enhancements I would greatly wish for are
-an undo-button for whatever I did last, change in program, setting,...
-directly editable fields for text entry (at the moments it's pop ups with the cursor never at the location I need it) I wish to be able to click somewhere in a file name e.g. and stay typing right there and not have to click at the correct spot in a second window.
Thank you very much for a very helpful  program and for listening to your customers and for your excellent support, also via mail.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2015, 04:06:35 pm »
@keysight : Great work guys !
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2015, 04:27:41 pm »

Although you can't get one graph in BenchVue, you can now synchronize multiple DMMs by using the vastly improved Digitizer option in the DMM Pro app. Using external trigger, it is easy to set up multiple DMMs to capture various signals at the exact same time. Use "Export All" to put exported data from all DMMs into a single Excel spreadsheet, one DMM per tab. Each DMM will have the same timestamps, all relative to 0 instead of time of day as before. This makes it easy to cut and paste the data columns from all tabs into one, then use Excel's standard charting feature to get them all on one graph. I've made a video showing how to do this, available on Dropbox at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/232v7ecojkyntne/two_dmm_digi.mp4?dl=0

And by the way, the video shows how to use multiple external triggers and 1 Sample/trigger, so that two completely different DMMs with different internal sample rates can be synchronized. This requires another instrument to generate the triggers. I used a 33521 as a pulse generator for this. If precise timing is not required, you can instead use the VM Complete output out of one to trigger the other, making the data for the 2nd DMM off by one measurement period. If you have two identical DMMs, such as two 34465As, you can use a single external trigger and then change the sample count (and sample interval) to gather the data. The sample subsystem can be run faster than the trigger subsystem, but both modes are now available to you.

Brian

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2015, 07:04:30 pm »

Although you can't get one graph in BenchVue, you can now synchronize multiple DMMs by using the vastly improved Digitizer option in the DMM Pro app. Using external trigger, it is easy to set up multiple DMMs to capture various signals at the exact same time. Use "Export All" to put exported data from all DMMs into a single Excel spreadsheet, one DMM per tab. Each DMM will have the same timestamps, all relative to 0 instead of time of day as before. This makes it easy to cut and paste the data columns from all tabs into one, then use Excel's standard charting feature to get them all on one graph. I've made a video showing how to do this, available on Dropbox at:

And by the way, the video shows how to use multiple external triggers and 1 Sample/trigger, so that two completely different DMMs with different internal sample rates can be synchronized. This requires another instrument to generate the triggers. I used a 33521 as a pulse generator for this. If precise timing is not required, you can instead use the VM Complete output out of one to trigger the other, making the data for the 2nd DMM off by one measurement period. If you have two identical DMMs, such as two 34465As, you can use a single external trigger and then change the sample count (and sample interval) to gather the data. The sample subsystem can be run faster than the trigger subsystem, but both modes are now available to you.

Brian

Thanks!
BTW, in BV2, there was a poor man's digitizing function for the 34461A which was really nice. Strangely, that function was not available on a 34465A without the DIG option, which doesn't make sense. Is BV3 different? I'd check but BV3 doesn't work with the 34465A without DIG option :-)

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2015, 07:23:59 pm »
Somehow I can't find the download link for the Linux version...

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2015, 07:33:44 pm »
Thanks!
BTW, in BV2, there was a poor man's digitizing function for the 34461A which was really nice. Strangely, that function was not available on a 34465A without the DIG option, which doesn't make sense. Is BV3 different? I'd check but BV3 doesn't work with the 34465A without DIG option :-)

The Digitizer option in the DMM App was pretty basic in BV2, so we gave it its own tab and greatly enhanced it in BV3. The 34465A/70A won't bring up the Digitizer tab unless you have the DIG option in the instrument. The 34461A didn't have that option. And BV3 *will* work with the 34465A without the DIG option shortly. That's a bug we have fixed and are testing now. You won't get the Digitizer tab, but you'll be able to use the instrument.

Brian

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2015, 07:49:35 pm »
First off, it's great to see you guys and this thread here. It does pay off to get direct feedback from pro's and hobbyists, who using T&M gear daily. Sub'd to thread.

Also join 3458A support request, as this special DMM have the performance, just lack easiness of modern gear interfacing, specially on high-speed digitizing aspect of it. While supplied documentation does provide code examples and extensive details how to interface meter, it all require somewhat obsolete programming, and need to be adjusted for modern standards.

I did not study all BenchVue documentation, but is there a function to have it upload CSV/data automatically using FTP/file mechanism? For long-time (days+) experiments and data-logging it's a needed feature, when user can leave little PC running BenchVue to collect data and upload to server for realtime data access remotely. If not, it should not be very difficult to implement, given standard OS APIs, AFAIK. I used LabView for 34970A for that matter, but it's overkill for simple data gathering into CSV on network share.

One more thing. I know it's lot to ask, but perhaps in some future (v4.0? ;)) would be great to see BenchVue support 3rd-party DLL/scripting API to expose SCPI interface, so people can add custom functionality to support their equipment. It could possibly widen usability of BenchVue for many more people, than just Keysight instrument owners. That's what other products like NI's LabView have stronghold in, can work with anything, not limited to single brand/tool. Free hint - you can even have some section on website for users to share their setups and libraries across, just like what happening now here when someone post piece of software to interface particular tool, and others use it.

YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2015, 07:50:17 pm »
Try at www.microsoft.com
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline lukaq

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2015, 08:09:24 pm »
If you are not actively running an activity in BenchVue the CPU consumption should be very small, if you see something different please let us know via PM and we'll attempt to diagnose the cause.  Is it possible are you referring to RAM utilization while keeping BV open in the background?
App is closed, not open in the background. CPU is at 0%, since process for BV is not running, but there are some other processes that are needed once you run BV, that are always running. I can find which they are and are needed for BV3. Some may be for older version of BV, the "Agilent DMM"

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2015, 08:34:09 pm »
On that note: Is anyone running Benchvue from Virtualbox? It would be nice if I know it works or not before trying...
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2015, 09:23:28 pm »
I did not study all BenchVue documentation, but is there a function to have it upload CSV/data automatically using FTP/file mechanism? For long-time (days+) experiments and data-logging it's a needed feature, when user can leave little PC running BenchVue to collect data and upload to server for realtime data access remotely. If not, it should not be very difficult to implement, given standard OS APIs, AFAIK. I used LabView for 34970A for that matter, but it's overkill for simple data gathering into CSV on network share.

One more thing. I know it's lot to ask, but perhaps in some future (v4.0? ;)) would be great to see BenchVue support 3rd-party DLL/scripting API to expose SCPI interface, so people can add custom functionality to support their equipment. It could possibly widen usability of BenchVue for many more people, than just Keysight instrument owners. That's what other products like NI's LabView have stronghold in, can work with anything, not limited to single brand/tool. Free hint - you can even have some section on website for users to share their setups and libraries across, just like what happening now here when someone post piece of software to interface particular tool, and others use it.

There is no automatic upload utility. You can export to a CSV file at the completion of logging. But there's no real-time upload capability.

As for SCPI, you can use the SCPI block on any instrument that can be located by the IO Libraries - even 3458's (non-SCPI, but any ASCII language is supported as long as responses have a "?" in the command string) and competitive equipment. It shows up as a "hidden" instrument in an icon at the lower right of the instrument bar. The VISA address can be selected from a pull-down list in the SCPI block.

Brian

Offline Mr Simpleton

• Supporter
  • Not the sharpest knife in the drawer
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2015, 09:37:42 pm »
If we're on the subject of equipment support, is there any chance it'll ever be able to download data from my HP 4395A network analyser?

(Long shot, I know, but it would be really worthwhile... not sure how much longer it'll be physically possible to use floppy discs to get data off it!)
I would not shell up £1400 for a data transfer software... but have you tried out the free (as in gratis) VNA utility from John Miles? Works like charm and I use it for both the 8753 and 8510 and a NI GPIB-to-USB dongle. www.ke5fx.com Could not be simpler :D

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2015, 09:39:29 pm »

Brian

Another alternative solution might be of interest to those reading this thread as well. Using the Test Flow app, you can easily have two DMM readings one after another. While this isn't truly time synchronized (the readings will be offset by the time it takes the first DMM to take a reading) it might be a solution for those who are not as sensitive to time.

In the attached image I created a simple sequence that sweeps a function generator output from 1Vpp to 5Vpp (so a loop is created for 5 measurements). You can see the sequence on the left hand side of the image. I then placed two DMM readings inside of the loop.

On the right hand side, we now see a visual representation of the data and sweep. The line colors on the graph match the block colors in the sequence. You can see that this is all on the same X axis. The Y axis is variable depending on the graph so we do not show Y axis values unless you mouse over the points. The table below the graph shows the data points with a gross timestamp. Both the graph or table data can be exported.

Time it took to create this? About 60 seconds.

~David

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf