Author Topic: BenchVue 3.0 now available – ask the BenchVue team anything  (Read 138496 times)

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Re: BenchVue 3.0 now available – ask the BenchVue team anything
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2015, 07:02:33 pm »
Well, I wanted to try BenchVue but  can't even get it to start. It just loads the splash screen and then crashes. It then offers to show me the location of a zip file since I don't have an email client installed on my home pc. I'm not sure WHERE to send the zip file to, it would be nice if it told you this in the message that shows me where the zip file is.

Systems Stats:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.50GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 4.00GB (3.89GB usable)
HDD: Samsung EVO 850 500GB  (404GB Free)

Sorry you're having trouble. The zip file should be sent to benchvue dot support at keysight dot com. All such reports go directly to me and I answer all of them as soon as I can, often within minutes,, so please do send it along. I'm particularly interested in seeing what might be wrong with your Windows 10 installation. We have tested it on W10, but there are lots of variables. I'll look at the logs and see what I can do to get you going.

Brian

I looked at the logs, and found that SQLite is failing to start. This is a database we use for the library. It also looks like you may be using a pre-release version of Windows 10 that may not have the required libraries that are used with SQLite. I poked around online for an answer and found a blog that describes how to get SQLite working on pre-released copies of W10 (see attachment). But it would probably be best to make sure your W10 installation is current.

Brian

The build is actually a post-release build. The final release build was version 10240 (mine is 10565). I actually forgot that I was on the developer chain of builds. I will take a look at your information and get back to you. A)t worst, I'll hop off the developer chain of builds and do a clean install to test this software out. Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:04:25 pm by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2015, 01:51:55 am »
Well, I wanted to try BenchVue but  can't even get it to start. It just loads the splash screen and then crashes. It then offers to show me the location of a zip file since I don't have an email client installed on my home pc. I'm not sure WHERE to send the zip file to, it would be nice if it told you this in the message that shows me where the zip file is.

Systems Stats:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.50GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 4.00GB (3.89GB usable)
HDD: Samsung EVO 850 500GB  (404GB Free)

Sorry you're having trouble. The zip file should be sent to benchvue dot support at keysight dot com. All such reports go directly to me and I answer all of them as soon as I can, often within minutes,, so please do send it along. I'm particularly interested in seeing what might be wrong with your Windows 10 installation. We have tested it on W10, but there are lots of variables. I'll look at the logs and see what I can do to get you going.

Brian

I looked at the logs, and found that SQLite is failing to start. This is a database we use for the library. It also looks like you may be using a pre-release version of Windows 10 that may not have the required libraries that are used with SQLite. I poked around online for an answer and found a blog that describes how to get SQLite working on pre-released copies of W10 (see attachment). But it would probably be best to make sure your W10 installation is current.

Brian

The link you showed is intended for developers using Visual Studio, not for end-users. I tried copying the SQLite dlls to the SYsWOW64 folder and it didn't help.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline BenchVue TeamTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2015, 05:39:28 pm »
Hi Pedro,

Here is the relevant error message from the log file that you sent:

Type: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Data.SQLite, Version=1.0.77.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=db937bc2d44ff139' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

The most likely missing prerequisites are .NET 4.0 and VC++ 2010 redistributable. Please make sure those are on your system. Our installer should be installing them, so if it's not, we need to know about it!

I started BV on my PC and ran Process Explorer to see what dll's are loaded that are connected to SQLite. The path is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Keysight\BenchVue\Common\3.0\Dependencies\SQLite\System.Data.SQLite.dll

A related file is C:\ProgramData\Keysight\BenchVue\BenchVue\Library\AgilentDatabase.SQLite

So make sure those are present.

Brian

Offline MarceloYared

« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2015, 09:30:46 pm »
Hi BenchVue Team!

Very nice your attitude on being here and answering all the questions from the users. Congratulations!

I´m a very happy user of two o´scopes from Agilent and Keysight, but I have to say I´m disappointed about the no availability of promo for upgrade of old customers, It´s available only for new acquisitions.

Best regards,

• Contributor
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2015, 12:15:23 am »
Unfortunately it does not apply to instruments purchased in past :--
I will expect this kind of offer to registered instruments and not only new purchases :(
I´m a very happy user of two o´scopes from Agilent and Keysight, but I have to say I´m disappointed about the no availability of promo for upgrade of old customers, It´s available only for new acquisitions.

Best regards,

Hello plesa and MarceloYared, thank you for not only using Keysight products and BenchVue but wanting more of it! I can understand frustrations when promotions come after you have made your purchase. As consumers its not a nice feeling when a sale comes out soon after you purchased a product. Unfortunately our promotions aren't retroactive for past purchases. It would be pretty nice if we could retroactively give promotions for all of our products for the last 20 years! Promotions are usually time bound and sometimes limited to different regions (as is the one you are referring to). We do our best to keep our customers happy but there are cases where the business side of things shows itself and our program is dependent on business to keep us in development. 

~David

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2015, 12:57:12 pm »
.. Snip
Thank you for your usage of our great DMM and the interest that you have in getting the 3458A into BenchVue. As I said before, the 3458A is a special DMM and it has been out there for a while. Part of the reason why we haven’t been able to support the 3458A so far is because it is so different than our modern DMMs. The commands, data reporting, and lower level GPIB events are very different than the DMMs that handle SCPI compliant commands.
.. Snip
~David

I have the solution to that  ;)

Release a 3458 Rev 10.0 firmware with BOTH the old commandset and a new SCPI compliant commandset  :clap:

/Bingo

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2015, 01:24:13 pm »
Hello plesa and MarceloYared, thank you for not only using Keysight products and BenchVue but wanting more of it! I can understand frustrations when promotions come after you have made your purchase. As consumers its not a nice feeling when a sale comes out soon after you purchased a product. Unfortunately our promotions aren't retroactive for past purchases. It would be pretty nice if we could retroactively give promotions for all of our products for the last 20 years! Promotions are usually time bound and sometimes limited to different regions (as is the one you are referring to). We do our best to keep our customers happy but there are cases where the business side of things shows itself and our program is dependent on business to keep us in development. 

~David
What I see is that your promo is retrospective. Similar case was when DSOX series was launched, where lot of user received free signal generator option. Only email to Agilent support was required. This will increase the amount of users and feedback for your improvement.
Based on my experience the inputs from real users is the most valuable feedback, but after the trial expired the amount of feedback on this forum will drop and users will return to the DMM connectivity utility ( unlimited logging), their own Excels,Python scripts, Labview, Matlab and other programs.
Exception can be FG option, where is almost more efficient to buy new generator with promo if case someone really needs this option :)
Once again thanks for test flow, it is really good direction I think, compare to Kickstart.

• Contributor
« Reply #132 on: November 17, 2015, 05:35:55 pm »
Hi Pedro,

Here is the relevant error message from the log file that you sent:

Type: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Data.SQLite, Version=1.0.77.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=db937bc2d44ff139' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

The most likely missing prerequisites are .NET 4.0 and VC++ 2010 redistributable. Please make sure those are on your system. Our installer should be installing them, so if it's not, we need to know about it!

I started BV on my PC and ran Process Explorer to see what dll's are loaded that are connected to SQLite. The path is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Keysight\BenchVue\Common\3.0\Dependencies\SQLite\System.Data.SQLite.dll

A related file is C:\ProgramData\Keysight\BenchVue\BenchVue\Library\AgilentDatabase.SQLite

So make sure those are present.

Brian

Good news everyone -- after a lot of trial and error, it appears that PedroDaGr8's problem has been solved. The latest update to Windows 10 finally fixed it and he's able to run BenchVue on Windows 10. We've tested BenchVue on Windows 10, but as you know, there are multiple versions out there and it is still pretty green (and I don't mean in the ecological sense!). So please let me know if you run into difficulties with BenchVue as you migrate to Windows 10.

Brian

• Contributor
« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2015, 04:37:41 pm »
Hey EEVBlog members! We’re part of the Keysight BenchVue team and we are here to answer your questions on BenchVue. We’ll be monitoring this thread to answer your questions. Ask us anything!

Is the BenchVue Mobile Android app available via other means than Google Play store only?

http://www.keysight.com/main/editorial.jspx?cc=GB&lc=eng&ckey=2428702&nid=-32762.1080833&id=2428702

Considering that not all Android devices can have Google Play (and not everyone wants to run Android with the invasive Google Services), and that this is an app that targets technically savy people (engineers), I'd think that a direct download of the apk file could be offered. Failing that, at least put it on the Amazon Android Store as well.

I'll see what I can do about this. Give me a few days and I'll update this thread.
~David

It took us longer than a few days to generate the new download page and get everything published according to internal requirements. The speed of corporate business is sometimes slower than expectations. But users that would like to download the apk files for BenchVue Mobile can now do so right from Keysight.com. Those interested in downloading the apk can now go to
www.keysight.com/find/benchvuemobile.

There is a link for the  new apk page in the webpage linked above with some basic instructions for downloading and installing the apk.

~David

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #134 on: December 20, 2015, 09:50:51 pm »
Is there any plan to implement support for Keysight counters into the BenchVue? Or rather use the TestFlow?
Also can we expect implementation of "64997A Oscilloscope Spectrum Visualizer (OSV) Software" into the BenchVue or it will remain standalone application forever?
In past there were application like "Agilent DMM connectivity utility" which ended up in BenchVue.

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #135 on: December 20, 2015, 10:39:01 pm »
I'll second the counters question.  I have a 53131A that I'd love to hook up to BenchVue.
I know this isn't the design intent but any possibility of a user defined module so we could integrate over equipement?
Sandra
(Yes, I am a Woman :p )

• Contributor
« Reply #136 on: December 30, 2015, 08:06:33 pm »
Hi Plesa and smgvbest, I can't deny or confirm the inclusion of future instruments or capability in a public forum like the EEVBlog. However, we are constantly working on adding new instrument support to BenchVue along with other requests (many that have been brought up here in this forum!). We definitely appreciate the feedback provided in this forum and some of you might get what you want in 2016. ;)

Keep up the requests, we are tracking what users want to see in BenchVue.

~David

Offline rosbuitre

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #137 on: December 31, 2015, 04:56:45 pm »
Hi
Any news about new version of BV and Firmware for 34461A?

Regards
My instruments: DMM Keysight 34461A / Tektronix DMM916 / Fluke 12, Rigol DS1074Z, Deer DE-5000, Siglent SDG805 / SDP3303D, Dayton Dats2

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2015, 05:56:00 pm »
Hi Plesa and smgvbest, I can't deny or confirm the inclusion of future instruments or capability in a public forum like the EEVBlog. However, we are constantly working on adding new instrument support to BenchVue along with other requests (many that have been brought up here in this forum!). We definitely appreciate the feedback provided in this forum and some of you might get what you want in 2016. ;)

~David

Thanks, I understand that you cannot share your plans and roadmap.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 01:49:29 pm by plesa »

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #139 on: January 07, 2016, 12:33:07 am »
@BenchVue Team

Is it possible to set fixed min/max values for the graph y-axis. e.g. 0A to 10mA?  Even though I turn the auto-scale y-axis feature off, I haven't found a way to specify custom upper and lower limits of the graph window. 

Aisde from normal measurement mode I'm interested in doing this when using the Digitize feature (I have the DIG option for my 34465A) with continuous streaming.  For example, acquiring 10k measurements at 5kHz with the data graphed periodically.  The x-/y-axis scale/zoom buttons are disabled during the acquisition, but I would like to set y-axis scale (e.g. 0.1mA per division) with bounds (e.g. 0 to 10mA) and then start the acquisition and not have the scale or limits change as the data is graphed. 

If it's not possible to do this already, can this be added to the list of requested features?

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2016, 05:00:39 pm »
@BenchVue Team (or anyone else really)

Is anyone having issues using BenchVue 3 in a virtual machine?  I'm on a Mac with VMWare Fusion running Windows 8, I start BV and it sees my 34465A, and I have basic control etc.  I go into the Digitiser option and as soon as a I try to change the sample size it locks up and dies.

Edit: If I just type large numbers into the samples box it changes the range from Sa to GSa etc., however if I click the dropdown to change the range the software just locks up.  Oddly it also died when digitising some readings from the 34465A.  It left the DMM just displaying "digitising" on the display, had to reboot that too. 

All comms is over ethernet if that makes any difference.

Any pointers welcome (and, no, I don't want or need to buy a PC).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 10:40:29 pm by jc101 »

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2016, 02:33:22 am »
@BenchVue team:

I've been using Digitizing mode and saving "infinite" number of data logs...I found I run low on HDD space on drive C: and I looked around for the option to change the data log directory.  I'm surprised the option to change the directory doesn't exist!

I think we really need an option for changing the directory where the data logs are stored so we can use a different HDD partition, different drive, even an external USB drive.  Please look into this option for future software update.

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2016, 07:49:13 pm »
@BenchVue Team:

I am using 34465A (running firmware 2.11) with the DIG and MEM options installed and when using Digitize mode I can set the maximum sample rate to 50kHz on the front panel.  When I use Digitize mode from within BenchVue I can only set a maximum sample rate of 25kHz.  (This is also the case if using the button to auto-configure for maximum acquisition rate.)  If I manually type "50 kHz" I get an error that "50 kHz is greater than the maximum of 25 kHz". 

This problem only appeared recently when I upgraded my 34465A firmware from 2.09 to 2.11; I could achieve 50kHz from within BenchVue with the 2.09 firmware.

Could you please look into this?  I would like to get the 50kHz option within BenchVue back. 

• Contributor
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2016, 12:32:27 am »
I just tried both 2.09 and 2.11 on a 34470A with BenchVue, and both of them worked the same - 25kSa/s max, so I don't think it's a firmware issue. I'm looking into it.

Brian

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2016, 02:07:23 am »
I just tried both 2.09 and 2.11 on a 34470A with BenchVue, and both of them worked the same - 25kSa/s max, so I don't think it's a firmware issue. I'm looking into it.

Thanks for the update; I'll look forward to the details.  I hope we will be able to achieve the 50kSa/s option from within BenchVue digitize mode.

Sparky

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2016, 09:53:33 pm »
@BenchVue Team:

I just found that in BenchVue is quite limited support for 34420A, I would like to use it for logging both channels ( ratio measurement and scan mode).
But it is not available in BV. And for instance if I needs to measure channel 1 I needs to select it manually and after that run BV.
In there any short term plan to add full support for 34420A?
Thanks

• Contributor
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2016, 10:55:36 pm »
Unfortunately, there are no short term enhancements planned for the 34420A, but I have added it to the list! Thanks for suggesting it.

Brian

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2016, 03:40:21 am »

~David

Great to hear,  I'm maybe purchasing a 34465A soon,  do wish TEquipment offered the edu discount on it.  it's awesome being able to combine edu and the eevblog discount when you can (totally unrelated to BV)
Sandra
(Yes, I am a Woman :p )

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2016, 11:00:44 pm »
@BenchVue Team:

Any plan to add 53200 Series RF Frequency Counters/Timers to BenchVue app?  If not, I think I am not the first or second person to make the recommendation :D

Thanks!
Sparky

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2016, 11:07:39 pm »
@BenchVue Team:

Any plan to add 53200 Series RF Frequency Counters/Timers to BenchVue app?  If not, I think I am not the first or second person to make the recommendation :D

Thanks!
Sparky

Count me in :-+
Good start point can be Timelab http://www.ke5fx.com/timelab/readme.htm

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf