Author Topic: Tektronix 5000 series (1970-1990 era) shenanigans  (Read 16853 times)

Offline dave_k

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Tektronix 5000 series (1970-1990 era) shenanigans
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2017, 12:25:59 pm »
Nice .. I hope the boards work out for you :)

Reading your thread makes me want to resume working on my collection of 7603 and 7613 units.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2017, 04:04:46 pm »
I have read dire warnings about the thermal fragility of these Germanium devices.  I don't have any specifically low temp solder here, mainly just 60/40.  I can clamp some heat sink to the body.  What do folks think as far as iron temp; hot and fast or cool and slow?

This applies to any germanium device like the 1N270 diodes that I like to use.

I wrap rubber bands around the handle of my needle nose pliers and use them as a heat sink on the lead between the body of the diode and the soldering point.

The heat capacity of the soldering iron tip makes more difference than the temperature.  With a larger heat capacity, the temperature can be lower.  With that in mind, I use my fattest soldering tip which will fit.  Then soldering is so fast that I just touch the already fluxed and soldered pad momentarily.

Offline WastelandTekTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2017, 12:11:46 am »
Whelp, got the tunnel in it and still no pulse generator output.

All the transistors and diodes in the pulse generator appear to have the requisite semiconductor junctions in them just probing around.

I guess it's time to cut the notch in my new JAMMA cable card edge and have a look for DC getting to those transistors and the clock signal actually making it to the tunnel diode.
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline PrecisionAnalytic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2019, 06:26:26 am »

Meet the Pacific Measurements (later gobbled up by Wavetek, later gobbled up by Wandel & Goltermann, later gobbled up by Fluke) 1038 system, in this case configured as a dual port network analyzer. 

The Tekwiki for the Pacific Measurements 1038 system is moving forward at full blast.   :box:

I figured I'd promote for membership (enjoy yourself... I'm not nit picky) and have a central source for resources, experiences, history or whatever insight they'd like to share regarding Pacific Measurements and Wavetek Systems.  Thanks in advance for your time and support!   :-+

https://www.facebook.com/groups/698747963909529/?hc_location=group

Offline WastelandTekTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2019, 03:10:41 am »
sorry, no facebook here

I will have a look at your tekwiki pages.
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline PrecisionAnalytic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2019, 06:35:43 am »
sorry, no facebook here

I will have a look at your tekwiki pages.

That's OK... I think I have everything linked on the Tekwiki other than the still elusive N10, NS20 and NS201 documents. I do have a Handbook for the NS20 and NS201 that for some reason, until I just typed this, I forgot about scanning.

Have a C10 with a manual in the mail and will scan and update the Tekwiki once I receive accordingly... which gets me thinking I can next update with the photos I have for.

Made a new Tekwiki page for the what looks like 5000 series EDX-1 that I haven't found any documents yet regarding:
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/EDX-1_Electromyograph_Storage

I also made an update to the Wikipedia JAMMA page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Amusement_Machine_and_Marketing_Association

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf