Author Topic: Tektronix MDO3000 Now includes the 3GHz Analyser for free.  (Read 10121 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Tektronix MDO3000 Now includes the 3GHz Analyser for free.
« on: April 14, 2014, 11:26:33 pm »
Tek actually listened to the teardown and the comments, and based on that feedback they are now going to include the 3GHz spectrum analyser option for free!
Supposedly only for a limited 5 months time though. Starting April 21st.
Oh, and you get a free protocol option too (presumably any one you like?)
I love these oscilloscope feature wars, everyone wins  :-+
This will no doubt catapult Tek back into the top spot in the mid range scope category.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 11:34:00 pm by EEVblog »

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Re: Tektronix MDO3000 Now includes the 3GHz Analyser for free.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 11:54:39 pm »
Nice. MDO3012 costs £2,250 right now (+20% VAT.) That's actually really good value as you're getting the near-equivalent of a £1,500 minimum spectrum analyser built in.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 02:17:10 am »
Really quite nice. What's happening in the cell phone industry here in the US is hitting the scope market. This would make th e MDO3000 significantly better than the DSOX3000, and maybe even the DSOX4000, but without the zone triggering.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline vvanders

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 02:19:52 am »
Now lets just hope Agilent counters with unlocking more of their scope features for poor sods like us  >:D.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 02:22:30 am »
Now lets just hope Agilent counters with unlocking more of their scope features for poor sods like us  >:D.

If you were able to buy a DSOX3000 then you aren't really a poor sod  :P

Offline vvanders

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 04:28:20 am »
Fair enough, to be fair I bought it as an investment in good test equipment, I just wish the logic board wasn't over a grand.

Offline WVL_KsZeN

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 02:46:02 pm »
How can you get a protocol analyzer when the digital channels are still an option?

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 04:05:37 pm »
How can you get a protocol analyzer when the digital channels are still an option?

Because on many of these class scopes, the protocol analysis/connection (I2C, SPI etc) is via the the analogue channels (1, 2 or ..., depending on protocol) and NOT through the digital channels...

cheers,
george.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 04:05:49 pm »
On the analog channels, do decode.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 10:08:59 pm »

Because on many of these class scopes, the protocol analysis/connection (I2C, SPI etc) is via the the analogue channels (1, 2 or ..., depending on protocol) and NOT through the digital channels...

cheers,
george.

When defining a Bus on these scopes, the inputs can be from the digital channels or the analog channels, or a combination of both.  Thus, you can do Bus decodes with just the analog channels if you like.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline WVL_KsZeN

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 11:22:35 am »
Still, they're asking for $1500 to enable the digital inputs (ok, that includes the probe). That's just crazy.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 11:35:12 am »
I wouldn't say this puts Tek at the top of the mid-range scope market. It really depends what your requirements are, it won't suit everyone but is also excellent value for those it does suit.

True, but a 3GHz spectrum analyser is a mighty big carrot. I'd hazard a guess that the majority of people don't have such tight requirements on a scope that the MDO3000 couldn't provide?

Offline eurofox

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 12:18:44 pm »
I wouldn't say this puts Tek at the top of the mid-range scope market. It really depends what your requirements are, it won't suit everyone but is also excellent value for those it does suit.

True, but a 3GHz spectrum analyser is a mighty big carrot.

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
eurofox

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 01:12:08 pm »
Engineers are the little rabbits scurrying around ffrom one side of the cage to the other. The others, e.g. R&S don't have as large as carrots.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 12:34:31 pm »
That actually makes the 100 MHz version very attractive, or rather, you'd be buying a 3 GHz SA with free 100 MHz oscilloscope in it ;)

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 01:33:34 pm »
That actually makes the 100 MHz version very attractive, or rather, you'd be buying a 3 GHz SA with free 100 MHz oscilloscope in it ;)

...and a DVM/counter on the scope channels...
FAE for Tektronix

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 04:47:52 pm »

Yes, for anyone evaluating scope alternatives, thinking they'd also like to work an SA into the budget too (soon if possible, or later if necessary), this becomes a very attractive option.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 05:12:31 pm »

Yes, for anyone evaluating scope alternatives, thinking they'd also like to work an SA into the budget too (soon if possible, or later if necessary), this becomes a very attractive option.

Having an integrated 3GHz TG would have made it a no-brainer purchase. Given the architecture of the scope, the hardware of the SA is 'nearly' free, but adding the 3GHz TG would have cost them real money. Anyhow, without the TG, imho, Tek missed the :box: they were likely hoping for.

cheers,
george.

Offline Mr Simpleton

• Supporter
  • Not the sharpest knife in the drawer
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 09:06:11 pm »
Not sure the built-in SA will have the full functionality that a true SA do offer, i.e. low phae noise/DR narrow RBW
Anyone got link to SA performance???
Not overly impressed by the SA in our older Tek-scope at work (cannot remember the numbers, a few years old), infact the whole scope made me wanted to get the fire axe. Instead found an old Tek 465 that did what I needed. Jeez talk about non-intuitive controls, and lagging buttons Yuk!

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 09:18:53 pm »
Yes, I looked at the specs of the spectrum analyser in the MDO range and the performance is pretty woeful in terms of making 'traditional' measurements like distortion and spurious free dynamic range and close to carrier phase noise.

http://uk.tek.com/sites/tek.com/files/media/media/resources/MDO3000-Oscilloscope-Datasheet-1.pdf

But if you take advantage of its wide capture range I assume you can grab (and post process?) data captured over a huge bandwidth. So for me, this analyser is still a very interesting tool. It can't replace a traditional analyser for most of the stuff I do but for casual use and for capturing signal data over a huge bandwidth it is quite remarkable plus the overall scope is a very versatile box of tricks in such a small footprint.

But people need to be aware that its spectrum analyser performance is going to be woeful when doing traditional spectrum analyser measurements. A 35 year old HP analyser will totally outclass it for these measurements. But if you only want to make casual measurements to a low spec then it could prove OK in this respect :)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:21:45 pm by G0HZU »

Offline Mr Simpleton

• Supporter
  • Not the sharpest knife in the drawer
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 09:36:59 pm »
Agree to that! But still not sure how it will compare to the "traditional" real-time-SA which have 80-160 MHz BW. Guess it is all about dynamic range. Not sure how you do capture the data... the buffer would fill up fast, so some sort of post processing would be esential, but what do you loose then? We do have the RSA6120B which do OK, but the windows UI no fun at all, and on top the latest f/w did slow down some essential features, and has now to be brought back through a free option wich must be approved by US Gov. Not a biggie but come on..... next time we get the R&S

Now did a little search and realized the one we have at work is the MDO4000 and this is one awful UI! If I need a scope this one will be LAST one I pick, I'd rather go home and pick up my Rigol 2072. Tek have come a long way... I had a 485 on my lab desk for years and that was pure joy to use... And a few Infiinium scopes that are not bad at all, and now the MDO4000  :--

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 10:01:25 pm »
Compared to a modern signal/spectrum analyser with a wide (digital) IF BW the MDO3000 will come a very poor second. But then the MDO3000 costs less than a tenth of the price of a decent lab grade analyser.

Where the MDO3000 SA will also fall over will be in terms of overall measurement uncertainty. They quote +/-2dB but this doesn't include mismatch uncertainty. They also quote this over a restricted range of ref level on the screen. Which all suggests to me that the input match of the input port over the 3GHz range will be pretty grim compared to a proper spectrum analyser when low input attenuation levels are selected. So there could be a hidden gotcha here when trying to measure small signals with reasonable accuracy because the (poor?) input match will introduce high uncertainty to the measurement.

The noise floor looks very lumpy to me as well. I can list the differences I think there will be in performance between it and a decent old/used analyser from HP (that now costs less than the MDO3000) but maybe the typical MDO3000 user won't care about the implications of its limited SA performance because they probably only want to make casual SA measurements anyway.

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 10:30:18 pm »
Agree to that! But still not sure how it will compare to the "traditional" real-time-SA which have 80-160 MHz BW. Guess it is all about dynamic range. Not sure how you do capture the data... the buffer would fill up fast, so some sort of post processing would be esential, but what do you loose then? We do have the RSA6120B which do OK, but the windows UI no fun at all, and on top the latest f/w did slow down some essential features, and has now to be brought back through a free option wich must be approved by US Gov. Not a biggie but come on..... next time we get the R&S

Now did a little search and realized the one we have at work is the MDO4000 and this is one awful UI! If I need a scope this one will be LAST one I pick, I'd rather go home and pick up my Rigol 2072. Tek have come a long way... I had a 485 on my lab desk for years and that was pure joy to use... And a few Infiinium scopes that are not bad at all, and now the MDO4000  :--

To each his own.  Personally, I find the user interfaces on both the RSA5000 and RSA6000 very easy, intuitive and a pleasure to use.  Similarly, I think the UI on the MDO4000 is also very intuitive and straight-forward.

The performance restriction on signal capture rate and trigger rate were imposed by new export license restrictions in the US - easy to restore full functionality though with the free option.
FAE for Tektronix

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 10:38:56 pm »
Compared to a modern signal/spectrum analyser with a wide (digital) IF BW the MDO3000 will come a very poor second. But then the MDO3000 costs less than a tenth of the price of a decent lab grade analyser.

Where the MDO3000 SA will also fall over will be in terms of overall measurement uncertainty. They quote +/-2dB but this doesn't include mismatch uncertainty. They also quote this over a restricted range of ref level on the screen. Which all suggests to me that the input match of the input port over the 3GHz range will be pretty grim compared to a proper spectrum analyser when low input attenuation levels are selected. So there could be a hidden gotcha here when trying to measure small signals with reasonable accuracy because the (poor?) input match will introduce high uncertainty to the measurement.

The noise floor looks very lumpy to me as well. I can list the differences I think there will be in performance between it and a decent old/used analyser from HP (that now costs less than the MDO3000) but maybe the typical MDO3000 user won't care about the implications of its limited SA performance because they probably only want to make casual SA measurements anyway.

Yes, the intent for the SA in the MDO is for very basic spectrum analysis, where 60dB dynamic range is good enough, usable DANL, basic measurements, etc.  It certainly isn't going to take the place of a decent mid-range dedicated analyzer, and it wasn't meant to.
FAE for Tektronix

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 11:14:59 pm »
Agreed :)

I think one area where the hobby user may come unstuck though is if they used the MDO3000 with an aerial to look at offair signals. Obviously they should also use a protective limiter to prevent damage to the MDO but I would expect that the limited dynamic range of the MDO would cause overload issues?

To give a comparison I have an old Japanese spectrum analyser here made in the 1980s that I can inject 0dBm at 145MHz into the analyser with 0dB analyser attenuation  and I can also combine this against a signal 115dB lower than this about 1MHz away and the analyser can still display the -115dBm signal on a narrow span with no overload/desensing from the 0dBm signal just 1MHz away.

This is a very extreme example but a more realistic example could be the local 138MHz pagers that arrive down my 2metre aerial at up to -30dBm. I would expect that this would be enough to make the MDO3000 fairly useless for looking for small offair signals at VHF. i.e. the hobbyist might get a bit disheartened to find they can't look for small signals in the airband or ham bands due to overload from local pagers etc. I suppose they could make notch filters to null out the pagers but I suspect the MDO3000 is not really an ideal tool for this kind of thing.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:17:47 pm by G0HZU »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf