Author Topic: Tektronix TDS210 teardown and BNC replacement  (Read 20748 times)

Offline bd139Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Tektronix TDS210 teardown and BNC replacement
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2018, 11:17:04 pm »
Not sure what the switcher frequency is actually. Point is to eliminate. Plus caps are slap bang in the middle of capacitor plague criteria which worries me as I’ve had a couple of failures so far from around then.

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2018, 02:50:51 pm »
Few years ago I recovered a TDS210 too, it failed calibration and the calibration lab asked over $600 to replace the main board so it was decommissioned. The traces were about half screen wide with no probes attached and the screen was very dim. I took it for free, I replaced all the caps in the power supply with good quality Nichicon PW series caps and the CCFL with LED strip and now is my go to scope even though I have a Tek 2445B, a Rigol DS1054Z and a Hitachi. I like it a lot.
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2018, 02:54:24 pm »
Nice job  :-+

Good idea with the LEDs as well. I imagine that would increase the reliability considerably.

This is my go to scope as well now.

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2018, 03:04:24 pm »
Yours seems to have a good CCFL still. Mine was barely lighting up and was turning pink.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2018, 03:11:16 pm »
Yeah this has very few power cycles on it and is a relatively late model. It is not quite as bright as a new CCFL would be but good enough. I actually have some of the correct CCFL tubes floating around somewhere from another repair I did so will hang onto them if it goes. I may look at LEDs then if I can be bothered :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2018, 03:11:50 pm »
I'm hoping that mine when it arrives is going to be my go to scope seeing is will be (hopefully) right in front of me on my bench, my other ones are way to big to fit on my bench for anything apart repairing them.

I purchased it on the 1st August and Ebay is not showing it as being dispatched and the seller promised me that he would dispatch it today by Hermes on a 48hr service, will it happen and more to the freaking point is will it arrive undamaged? Knowing what problems you have with Hermes I'm kind of super nervous about the whole thing right now. The seller had stated in his Ebay advert that it would dispatched by Royal Mail 2nd class (meaning Parcelforce 48) and had he done that, it would have been with me by now.

I took a chance on it knowing what his comms was like, all capitals and poor grammar (not that mine is a whole better at times  :-DD) but hey I seriously thought that having gotten hold of my money within minutes of the auction ending that he would have had the good grace to dispatch it quicker then this, hell I know I always manage to dispatch my sales either the same day or within 24 hours unless its a weekend.

Edit :
Thought for the day, are these software upgradeable to higher bandwidths or what?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 03:23:15 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2018, 03:35:56 pm »
Yes similar situation. I actually like this so much I listed my DS1054Z this morning. I'd rather have a TDS210 on the bench and 300 smackers in my pocket (or actually half that FT-818 paid off  :-DD). The FT-818 makes a pretty good spectrum analyser I found as well.

Worst case you'll get a free scope or money back. Virtually no risk in eBay purchases these days which is good. I reckon he got to the "print postage label" thing on ebay and saw that Hermes was cheaper so decided to pocket the difference in cost.

Good question on the 100MHz software upgrade. If I ever get my hands on a TDS220 I will compare the two in detail. I imagine they're probably the same hardware. Would be interesting if you could hack a TDS-210 into a TDS-220.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2018, 04:30:28 pm »
I thought I felt something stabbing me in the back...  :-DD

I still don't regret the 1054Z; at least at the prices the TDS210-220 are bringing over here, even DOA. :-BROKE

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2018, 04:47:13 pm »
Yes similar situation. I actually like this so much I listed my DS1054Z this morning. I'd rather have a TDS210 on the bench and 300 smackers in my pocket (or actually half that FT-818 paid off  :-DD). The FT-818 makes a pretty good spectrum analyser I found as well.

Worst case you'll get a free scope or money back. Virtually no risk in eBay purchases these days which is good. I reckon he got to the "print postage label" thing on ebay and saw that Hermes was cheaper so decided to pocket the difference in cost.

Good question on the 100MHz software upgrade. If I ever get my hands on a TDS220 I will compare the two in detail. I imagine they're probably the same hardware. Would be interesting if you could hack a TDS-210 into a TDS-220.

I like them both, I don't feel like selling any of them. I have four now and if I keep collecting scopes like that squirrel collected acorns , soon, when someone opens the basement door, it will pour with scopes.  :-DD
AFAIK the 210 and 220 have different ADCs.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2018, 04:56:01 pm »
I thought I felt something stabbing me in the back...  :-DD

I still don't regret the 1054Z; at least at the prices the TDS210-220 are bringing over here, even DOA. :-BROKE

They're usually pretty expensive here. I got lucky :)

I like them both, I don't feel like selling any of them. I have four now and if I keep collecting scopes like that squirrel collected acorns , soon, when someone opens the basement door, it will pour with scopes.  :-DD
AFAIK the 210 and 220 have different ADCs.

You sound like a prime candidate to join the "Test Equipment Anonymous" thread :D ... lots of us scope addicts in there!

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2018, 05:10:12 pm »
You sound like a prime candidate to join the "Test Equipment Anonymous" thread :D ... lots of us scope addicts in there!

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/

I'm not a scopoholic... or I didn't get to admit it yet.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2018, 05:24:51 pm »
Give it time  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2018, 05:27:16 pm »
Its a gentle slope at first and then suddenly, splosh you are up to your knicky knacky dodars in scopes and then your a scopoholic for sure.  :-DD :-DD
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 05:28:58 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2018, 06:16:40 pm »
I listed one once and next day I was in withdrawal without even selling it.  :-DD
I'm not making the same mistake again.

Offline pa3hfu

• Contributor
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2018, 07:19:48 pm »
Few years ago I recovered a TDS210 too, it failed calibration and the calibration lab asked over $600 to replace the main board so it was decommissioned. The traces were about half screen wide with no probes attached and the screen was very dim. I took it for free, I replaced all the caps in the power supply with good quality Nichicon PW series caps and the CCFL with LED strip and now is my go to scope even though I have a Tek 2445B, a Rigol DS1054Z and a Hitachi. I like it a lot.
Did you make a list of capacitors you replaced?
I did not yet open my ('new') TDS210 because I don't know how to remove the TFT-module. He seems to be very attached...
Mathew

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2018, 07:25:46 pm »
I did not yet open my ('new') TDS210 because I don't know how to remove the TFT-module. He seems to be very attached...
Mathew

Yes I did. See post here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-tds210-teardown-and-bnc-replacement/msg1722653/#msg1722653

I am only replacing secondary filter caps. They haven't arrived yet.

I haven't looked at removing the TFT module.

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2018, 07:46:30 pm »
Mathew

No, I didn't but BD did. You don't need to touch the LCD unless you want to replace the back light. Otherwise you remove the back cover and you have access to the power supply and the main board. Don't remove the front cover.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2018, 07:56:10 pm »
I have tried to post the service manual here but it is too large for the system so if anyone wants a copy, PM me with your email address and I'll gladly email a copy to you.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline orin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2018, 07:59:05 pm »
Mathew

Yes I did. See post here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-tds210-teardown-and-bnc-replacement/msg1722653/#msg1722653

I am only replacing secondary filter caps. They haven't arrived yet.

I haven't looked at removing the TFT module.

Since I too have a TDS210, I perused the capacitor list.  FWIW, Nippon Chemi-Con have a list of replacement types here... http://www.chemi-con.co.jp/e/catalog/aluminum_unify.html

They recommend KY or LXV to replace SXE and type KMG still seems to be active, though good luck finding a 68uF 450V specimen.

I wonder why they used a different brand for one of the 2200/6.3V, other than the ELNA being a bit skinnier...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2018, 08:10:30 pm »
Since I too have a TDS210, I perused the capacitor list.  FWIW, Nippon Chemi-Con have a list of replacement types here... http://www.chemi-con.co.jp/e/catalog/aluminum_unify.html

They recommend KY or LXV to replace SXE and type KMG still seems to be active, though good luck finding a 68uF 450V specimen.

I wonder why they used a different brand for one of the 2200/6.3V, other than the ELNA being a bit skinnier...

KMQ is a suitable replacement for KMG apparently. Has twice ripple current rating. There are 36 in stock here for 68uF 450V at RS. I didn't bother ordering a replacement for that. They usually last much longer in that role.

I think the ELNA one being smaller was a fuck up. The board footprint was too small for the Nippon ones in that placement when installed. The KY ones are 10mm diameter so can be used in all footprints fine. I ordered KY's as replacements. I had low ESR panasonic caps in stock for most of the rest.

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2018, 08:36:37 pm »
Don't bother replacing the 450V one. They rarely fail.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2018, 03:08:41 am »

I'm not a scopoholic... or I didn't get to admit it yet.

I listed one once and next day I was in withdrawal without even selling it.  :-DD
I'm not making the same mistake again.

Spoken like a true scopoholic in denial. ;D It's OK, Miti. Really, it is.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2018, 03:11:38 am »

Likewise. The only niggle I have with the 1054 is the sluggishness when moving the trace position. But, it's not something I do a lot of. Overall, I'm still glad I got it.

If I do get a hold of one of these lunchbox Teks at a good price, I might try triggering one of the scopes off the other to get more channels. In fact, I should probably try that with the AD2 to get analog + digital.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2018, 08:24:29 am »
The 1054Z certainly fills a market hole better than any other device. Got to complain about the protocol decoding support though. My clone logic analyser from aliexpress is much better.

They do a TDS224 as well which is 100MHz 4 channels.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2018, 04:42:52 pm »
My noise floor on Channel 1 @2mV div and 100uS is (with averaging 16 turned on) 883KHz and 640uV so it seems to be quieter than yours but at far higher frequency?, No probes attached.
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf