Author Topic: Tektronix THM series TekMeter and some very nice probes. My latest acquisition !  (Read 4120 times)

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I recently stumbled upon a Tektronix THM560 TekMeter for sale on eb*y at a very tempting price. Needless to say, I buckled under the pressure and purchased it.

For those unaware, the TekMeter is a sort of graphical multimeter/oscilloscope hybrid that Tektronix produced for electrical engineers and those needing a compact rugged platform but not the bandwidth of the larger portable oscilloscope. As a result, this is a very rugged and capable instrument with a very attractive display capability, but its oscilloscope is limited by the 25Ms/S per channel sample rate. Do not totally dismiss the TekMeter as a result however. It is still a very capable instrument with Tektronix build quality.   

I am posting pictures of the TekMeter here but in truth it is the very nice probes that I wanted to highlight to the readership. All I can say is that I love them ! I already own another THM565 and that was supplied with some insulation penetrating/back probe type test leads. They were genuine Tektronix leads but very different to what I have just received with my new acquisition.

The leads that I am detailing here look to be oscilloscope probes at first glance. When you look closer, however, you see that they are in fact single conductor meter probes with oscilloscope probe like hand-pieces at the end. The probe tip emulates an oscilloscope probe and is very sharp. Perfect for piercing conformal coatings. Onto the probe tip the user may attach standard Tektronix oscilloscope probe grabbers  :-+ This means that the test probes may be easily attached to test points in confined spaces or oscilloscope probe holders may be used. Very nice idea and I can see that this will be a very useful capability.

The THM series do not have a BNC input but an adapter may be used to convert the oscilloscope 4mm banana plug inputs to BNC type if needed. Remember, this is an electrician's oscilloscope with limited sampling rate and bandwidth. Less demanding than many 'normal' electronics related oscilloscope applications.

Take a look at the pictures and see what you think of the probe design. I am unaware of any equivalent on the 3rd party market that is so neat.

My other THM is still dismantled as I was transplanting its guts into a brand new case just before becoming ill several years ago. It still awaits re-assembly so I could show some internal pictures if anyone is interested.

I cannot find a datasheet for the THM series but I did find a Tektronix rental page that provides the specs.

http://oscilloscoperentals.net/tektronix/rent-tektronix-thm560-tekmeter-true-rms-oscilloscope-leasing-rentals/

Aurora
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 06:32:42 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
Reminds me of car diagnostic oscilloscopes.

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I believe that car techs do like these units. They are built like a tank and have scratch resistant polycarbonate screen protectors. The polycarbonate has a very tough layer of 'armour' film applied to it.

The unit is certainly well suited to tough environments. My unit is in lovely condition so has been well cared for. Interestingly it came in a carry case that is embroidered with the name Vgate Scan..... an automotive diagnostics tool.

Aurora
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf