Author Topic: Tektronix TLS216 - Really 2GS/s sampling rate on ALL 16 analog channels?  (Read 4418 times)

Offline pascal_swedenTopic starter

• Super Contributor
The Tektronix TLS216 is a 500 MHz oscilloscope with 16 analog channels.

Does it really have a 2GS/s sampling rate on ALL 16 analog channels?

That's seems quite remarkable! Wonder what hardware they used in there? 16 ADC modules?

What about the bandwidth? Does that drop when you use several analog channels at the same time?

If there is no limitation, neither on the bandwidth and the sampling rate, when using all 16 analog channels at the same time, this scope seems very impressive!

So what's the catch behind this? It is real-time sampling right? And not equivalent time sampling, right?
What am I missing here then?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:01:52 pm by pascal_sweden »

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Tektronix TLS216 - Really 2GS/s sampling rate on ALL 16 analog channels?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 07:21:58 pm »
If you look at the overview secion of product specifications it clearly says 2-GS/s Simultaneous Sampling on All Channels and if you look at the specifications it says 16 channels, 16 samplers, 2GS/s. I guess, on its own, samplers could mean sample and hold circuits which is then interfaced to one or more ADCs but in this case it doesn't - or so it appears.

I've personally never seen that machine Before so thanks for pointing it out. Must have cost a fortune when it was introduced.....

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 08:17:56 pm »
The Tektronix TLS216 is a 500 MHz oscilloscope with 16 analog channels.

Does it really have a 2GS/s sampling rate on ALL 16 analog channels?

Yes.

What about the bandwidth? Does that drop when you use several analog channels at the same time?

No.

So what's the catch behind this?

500-2000 point record length
requires special probes
vertical sensitivity 50mV/div

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 09:11:29 pm »
No BNC inputs.  :scared:

Maximum Input Voltage - Max nondestructive input ±25 V (DC + Peak AC)  :o
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline pascal_swedenTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 09:39:54 pm »
I guess it's an analog logic analyzer in that sense :)

Does it contain any kind of protocol decoding?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 09:58:46 pm »
No. It is way too old for that. Don't waste time or money on this piece of antique.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline madao

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 04:14:17 pm »
I have here  TLS216.

Yes, it has 500Mhz Bandwidth., verified.
But ,obviously, no potocool decoding.
TLS216 is really sluggish by operation.
16 ch and 2Gs/s at all channel, it is possible, because  Tek has using four  TDS640 acquisition chipset (one Chipset  = 4 channel).
But  TDS640 has a big disadvantage: No peak dectet-acquisition, high WFM/s-Acquisition is impossible.
Reason: TDS640 ADC is CCD-based, 2 Gs/s-CCD and 10Ms/s ADC.  To much dead times.

Many TLS216 has problem with  bad  SMD capacitor. My TLS216 is very late TLS216 with TDS700A-CPU Board without capacitor issues, but old firmware(V1.0.3e).

Regards
Matt
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 05:07:08 pm by madao »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, edavid

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 02:03:30 am »
But  TDS640 has a big disadvantage: No peak dectet-acquisition, high WFM/s-Acquisition is impossible.
Reason: TDS640 ADC is CCD-based, 2 Gs/s-CCD and 10Ms/s ADC.  To much dead times.

Earlier and later Tektronix CCD based DSOs did implement peak detection.  It was missing in the early TDS based CCD models.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 01:18:29 pm »
The SMD caps on teks from this series/vintage are notoriously shortlived. On the bright side: probes are pretty cheap ;)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 02:13:55 pm »
The SMD caps on teks from this series/vintage are notoriously shortlived. On the bright side: probes are pretty cheap ;)
That depends on the age of the device. If you have one from after '94 /95' the caps are OK. From the small sample of scopes I have had through my hands only the earlier models where affected.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: madao

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 02:19:45 pm »
That fan looks like it came out of a 300A TIG-welder or something, must be a noisy machine that TLS216

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 02:24:44 pm »
That fan looks like it came out of a 300A TIG-welder or something, must be a noisy machine that TLS216
It isn't. The fans in these oscilloscopes seem to be a special low-RPM version. In later models Tektronix fitted a smaller (but still low noise) fan. Maybe the manufacturer of the fan was no longer interested in making the special version.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 03:32:29 pm »
If you look at his picture, you'll find the small SMD elcos that cause the problem. Later model caps have tantalums instead I think.

Offline madao

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 04:04:11 pm »
No,  my  TLS216 has SMD eletrolytics, but it is good.
Nippon Chemicon  is  manufactur of this  electrolytics and has solved this problem in circa 1994. My TLS216 is from 1996.  It has not issues with leaking SMD electrolytics.   Same, nctnico says it.  It confirm my    experience.

That depends on the age of the device. If you have one from after '94 /95' the caps are OK. From the small sample of scopes I have had through my hands only the earlier models where affected.

Fan runs really  slow. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 06:44:19 pm by madao »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2019, 07:13:27 pm »
If you look at his picture, you'll find the small SMD elcos that cause the problem. Later model caps have tantalums instead I think.
No, ceramics but you can't replace all electrolytics with ceramics if you want to refurbish one of the TDS500/600/700 series scopes. The circuits are designed for electrolytics. Never ever replace electrolytics or ceramic with tantalum capacitors; chances are you reduce the life time because tantalums have constraints on di/dt.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2019, 07:15:46 pm »
Nah, I just replace them with new, longer life elcos..

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2019, 07:32:18 pm »
Never ever replace electrolytics or ceramic with tantalum capacitors; chances are you reduce the life time because tantalums have constraints on di/dt.

Tantalum capacitors have di/dt limits however they are increased greatly with proper voltage derating so this is rarely a problem in bulk decoupling applications.  I would not hesitate to use them and often have for *greater* reliability in the sense that I will not have to change a dried up aluminum electrolytic capacitor again.

Replacing a bulk output capacitor would be much more problematical and in old equipment, hermetically sealed solid or wet tantalum capacitors were often used.  Their construction differences give them much higher di/dt limits.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2019, 07:57:36 pm »
Never ever replace electrolytics or ceramic with tantalum capacitors; chances are you reduce the life time because tantalums have constraints on di/dt.
Tantalum capacitors have di/dt limits however they are increased greatly with proper voltage derating so this is rarely a problem in bulk decoupling applications.  I would not hesitate to use them and often have for *greater* reliability in the sense that I will not have to change a dried up aluminum electrolytic capacitor again.
A reasonable quality electrolytic which isn't subjected to heat (either by large ripple currents or sitting next to a heat sink) has decades of life time. The only electrolytics I have replaced where damaged by heat. Tantalums OTOH tend to fail allover the place randomly. I never use tantalums in my designs for that reason. Either ceramic or electrolytics.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2019, 08:09:04 pm »
A reasonable quality electrolytic which isn't subjected to heat (either by large ripple currents or sitting next to a heat sink) has decades of life time. The only electrolytics I have replaced where damaged by heat. Tantalums OTOH tend to fail allover the place randomly. I never use tantalums in my designs for that reason. Either ceramic or electrolytics.

Modern tantalums are very reliable if properly derated and used within their surge current rating.

I have replaced aluminum electrolytic capacitors in some modern designs which could only last not much longer than a year because of insufficient derating.  Instead of using a much larger aluminum electrolytic, I selected a suitable tantalum part.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf