Author Topic: Test Equipment Addicts of the Future?  (Read 2081 times)

Offline BillBTopic starter

• Supporter
Test Equipment Addicts of the Future?
« on: May 11, 2018, 03:38:25 pm »
So, fifty years from now do you still think there will be test equipment addicts?

If so, what will they be hoarding collecting?  Will the vacuum tube boat-anchors currently filling peoples living rooms and bedrooms still be around/valuable?  Or will the new legion of addicts be sweating over some ebay auction for a vintage FeelTech FY6600 or a barely used Mega328 LCR meter?

Will it be harder for them because everything is made of plastic now and built to last for a few years rather than the built-for-a-lifetime gear of yesteryear?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Addicts of the Future?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 03:52:49 pm »
Why do you think today's gear won't last as long?

It won't run out of storage space. It's not something we install ever-more bloated apps on. There's no battery to wear out.

These are the reasons your smartphones and PCs need replacing but it doesn't apply to test gear.

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 04:11:39 pm »
Just the general, pervasive use of lesser quality materials in just about anything made these days.  Plastic cases instead of metal are more prone to incidental damage.  Plastic knobs, soft buttons, materials that trade longevity for Eco-friendliness, planned obsolescence, etc.   

Combine that with the disposable nature of society these days, people are more apt to toss something than fix it, so more stuff will head to the landfill more quickly than in the past.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 04:14:02 pm by BillB »

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 04:20:08 pm »
I don't even throw my kids cheap toys out. Little wire here, solder there, all fixed.

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 04:25:14 pm »
I don't even throw my kids cheap toys out. Little wire here, solder there, all fixed.

Present company of TEA hoarders excepted.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 04:42:50 pm »
Compare almost anything made by HP from the 1960s to almost anything made today.  The quality and ruggedness is just not there anymore.  Also the inherent complexity and number of components which increase the likelihood of failure and decrease the possibility of repair. 

The classic gear that we have now is timeless, everything else will become disposable.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 04:54:37 pm by kj7e »

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 09:00:22 pm »
Will the vacuum tube boat-anchors currently filling peoples living rooms and bedrooms still be around/valuable?

If an EMP hits then they certainly will be since they won't be affected.

Aside from this, I expect test equipment technology to become more and more able while the average hobbyist may not benefit from that very much. Even today, $1000 can get you a scope that is more capable than the average hobbyist will ever need.

Offline LoFi

• Contributor
  • Madness, put to good use
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 10:12:41 am »
So, fifty years from now do you still think there will be test equipment addicts?

Sure... and they'll be debating:
- the merits of high-quality Made-in-China equipment vs cheap-but-lower-quality made-in-India stuff
- Techniques for using bio-solder to repair and refurbish vintage embedded bio-testers without causing brain-damage, and how to use a desoldering gun to remove outdated bio-circuits from nerve tissue 
- whether Fluke equipment is worth the relatively high cost, whether Brymen is as good or better, and when Fluke will finally upgrade their best-selling Fluke 87 multimeter
"Don't play stupid with me... I'm better at it."

The following users thanked this post: bicycleguy

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 10:24:58 am »
In 50 years all test equipment will be mainly software based as can be seen with current SDR.

Also, look at modern SA. They now fit in a single PCB.

So, in 50 years we will be collecting smaller devices that are just highspeed ADC and DAC with connectors and the rest will be software licenses...

I fear that thwre wont be much to collect then, as the software side will be pay per use or subscription...

Regards,
Vitor

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 10:56:10 am »
This is the future: http://www.the-odin.com/genetic-engineering-home-lab-kit/

Much as the cheap electronics labs turned into a hobby and job for people and then they took the job home, I expect there to be a rise in second hand Agilent biotech kit being available to future TEA.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 11:25:31 am »
One of the bigger issues for today's test gear is the computer and operating system that they use, computers are so volatile. Getting a modern computer to talk to a 3458 is quite a challenge as it was designed to talk to a much different OS.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 11:51:47 am »
I guess you can still achieve a lot with virtual machines.
But yes, can be a problem if old ISA or just PCI cards are involved.
But in 50 years we TEA will be looking at 10 year old devices, from 40 years from now.
And I bet those will be mainly software defined devices.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 01:55:38 pm »
I don't care.  :-// I'll be taking a dirt nap.  :=\
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf