Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14561814 times)

ch_scr, Peter_O, cncjerry and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #12275 on: June 22, 2018, 07:59:53 am »
Fettling is exactly what is involved unfortunately. They have the worst characteristics of the worse inkjet printers mxied with the paper jamming ability of the worst laser printers and the level of support of the worst troll that worked in Maplin. Honestly this and the space required are the only reasons I haven’t bothered yet. I could really do with a 3d printer but it’s not a mainstream plug and play device and never will be.
Careful, I'm sure that was once said about inkjet and laser printers for the home. These days they pretty good and for main part their only real problem is the occasional mis feeding of paper from the tray.

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12276 on: June 22, 2018, 08:04:09 am »
They're only pretty good due to "low volume probability syndrome". In office environments they're still boiled shit.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12277 on: June 22, 2018, 09:06:59 am »
They're only pretty good due to "low volume probability syndrome". In office environments they're still boiled shit.
That's your standard phrase these days 🤣

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12278 on: June 22, 2018, 09:17:55 am »
Talking of which, boiled urine  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12279 on: June 22, 2018, 10:44:18 am »
Glad we don't have smelly vision. Surprised at how the cable stood upto the rising voltage there as well, it certainly out performed the bloody kettle thats for sure. Boiled urine, urgh make you feel like puking just thinking of it let alone actually smelling it.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #12280 on: June 22, 2018, 02:17:23 pm »
Glad we don't have smelly vision. Surprised at how the cable stood upto the rising voltage there as well, it certainly out performed the bloody kettle thats for sure. Boiled urine, urgh make you feel like puking just thinking of it let alone actually smelling it.  :-DD

I remember my younger days in the NE US and visiting people whose pets had urinated on hot, hot water radiators.  That was pretty disgusting.  Can't imagine the smell of boiled urine.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12281 on: June 22, 2018, 06:12:28 pm »
Gee whiz....if we find ourselves talking about hot piss then we might be running out of things to discuss. Let me see if I can get it back on track.

One thing my bench always lacked was adequate pin point light. I solved that a few weeks ago with the light on the right. Purchased from AliExpress for a reasonable price of $14.74 USD and fulfilled from some One-hung-low company. Free shipping and no sales tax. Surprisingly it origin scanned not in China but in California. But it did take a week and a half to go cross country here to NY. They must have used pony express. Anyway, it is well built. Adjusts easy and holds its position. Of course no UL or CSA approval stickers but what Chinese stuff does? I'm impressed.

So impressed that I bought another one. It's on the left. I ordered it Sunday and it arrived today. That one origin scanned in New Jersey! Strange. The picture really doesn't do it justice. It is really bright. All the other lights, except the desk light in rear, are off. The bulbs are 800 lumen, 5K LED. We call that 60 watt equivalent here. So at last my lighting issues are solved.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: paschulke2, bitseeker

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12282 on: June 22, 2018, 06:32:09 pm »
That looks pretty damn cool actually. Cooler than boiled piss.

Need to revisit my bench lighting as the wun hung lo led strip I’m using has gone dicky. Thinking about designing some PCBs for modular LED strips with two strips of LEDs so I have two brightness control options. Can’t use PWM due to the RFI it kicks off.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12283 on: June 22, 2018, 06:38:31 pm »
I don't have room for under shelf strip lighting unless I move all that equipment. But it wouldn't be effective anyway because the shelf is recessed too far back.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12284 on: June 22, 2018, 06:49:58 pm »
Speaking of RFI....someone in my apartment complex has one or more of those damn touch brightness adjustable lamps. Those things should be banned for all the RFI they emit. Makes the AM band, and most of the SW bands, unlistenable.  :rant:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12285 on: June 22, 2018, 06:51:07 pm »
Under shelf lighting would put all of your LCD's in the dark which is not what you want, LED's and VFD's are just fine but LCD'd unless backlit require lighting on their front. I like you idea of hanging items from the shelf above, I need to adopt that idea myself for my smaller and thus lighter items such as your function generator which so light weight it takes two hands to operate or else they do very best to escape from you.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 07:07:02 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12286 on: June 22, 2018, 06:52:55 pm »
Speaking of RFI....someone in my apartment complex has one or more of those damn touch brightness adjustable lamps. Those things should be banned for all the RFI they emit. Makes the AM band, and most of the SW bands, unlistenable.  :rant:
To make matter even worse, its probably a one-hung-low one with no compliance at all  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12287 on: June 22, 2018, 06:55:49 pm »
Under shelf lighting would all of you LCD's in the dark which is not what you want, LED's and VFD's are just fine but LCD'd unless backlit require lighting on their front. I like you idea of hanging items from the shelf above, I need to adopt that idea myself for my smaller and thus lighter items such as your function generator which so light weight it takes two hands to operate or else they do very best to escape from you.

That's why the Fluke 8050A under the shelf has that little gooseneck LED light shining on the LCD. And when I want to use the 8010A above right I move the gooseneck LED to it.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12288 on: June 22, 2018, 07:09:48 pm »
Under shelf lighting would all of you LCD's in the dark which is not what you want, LED's and VFD's are just fine but LCD'd unless backlit require lighting on their front. I like you idea of hanging items from the shelf above, I need to adopt that idea myself for my smaller and thus lighter items such as your function generator which so light weight it takes two hands to operate or else they do very best to escape from you.

That's why the Fluke 8050A under the shelf has that little gooseneck LED light shining on the LCD. And when I want to use the 8010A above right I move the gooseneck LED to it.
Yeah, the feeltech has a backlit screen, but with those gooseneck lights and screens being mounted high is that if your not careful you just reflection of the plastic in front of the LCD which can still render them unreadable.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12289 on: June 22, 2018, 08:11:07 pm »

Yeah, the feeltech has a backlit screen, but with those gooseneck lights and screens being mounted high is that if your not careful you just reflection of the plastic in front of the LCD which can still render them unreadable.

I think I posted this once before. It's a miniature LED gooseneck lamp with a USB plug meant for a laptop to illuminate the keyboard. I have it plugged into a USB wallwart charger which is remotely switched on the mains side. It does an excellent job of illuminating the LCD.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12290 on: June 22, 2018, 08:31:27 pm »
Best thing in these situations is lots of diffused ambient light. Problem in those environments is that you end up feeling like you’re working in a hospital.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #12291 on: June 22, 2018, 09:24:31 pm »
Gee whiz....

Very punny.

if we find ourselves talking about hot piss then we might be running out of things to discuss. Let me see if I can get it back on track.

It's great how the feedback loop in this thread operates. Always gets back on the right track.

One thing my bench always lacked was adequate pin point light. I solved that a few weeks ago with the light on the right. Purchased from AliExpress for a reasonable price of $14.74 USD and fulfilled from some One-hung-low company. Free shipping and no sales tax. Surprisingly it origin scanned not in China but in California.

Nice lights. Yeah, some vendors have a warehouse (or relative) in the US and stuff ships from one coast or the other.

I like you idea of hanging items from the shelf above, I need to adopt that idea myself for my smaller and thus lighter items such as your function generator which so light weight it takes two hands to operate or else they do very best to escape from you.

med's setup is pretty nice. Being able to close the overhead cabinet is great, too, when you need the lab to look somewhat presentable.

I have one of those function generators, too. A few times I contemplated sticking some fishing weights or something in the bottom.

I think I posted this once before. It's a miniature LED gooseneck lamp with a USB plug meant for a laptop to illuminate the keyboard. I have it plugged into a USB wallwart charger which is remotely switched on the mains side. It does an excellent job of illuminating the LCD.

You've reminded me I have some old keyboard lights like that somewhere. They disappeared because I never really needed them for lighting my keyboard. That's a good reuse for them.

Best thing in these situations is lots of diffused ambient light. Problem in those environments is that you end up feeling like you’re working in a hospital.

Um, isn't your lab a test equipment hospital?  ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #12292 on: June 22, 2018, 09:38:39 pm »
Honestly, I don't understand the point of pin point lighting.  I will admit, I went overkill.  I have an 8' workbench.  I have 2, 4', 6 bulb LED shop fixtures that output about 10,000 lumen each.  I spent about $280 USD for both lights.  My workbench is bright, I can see, there are no dark spots or shadows and I am saving money over the fluorescent light fixtures I had while having more light.  Granted, I own my home and have dedicated office space so I can mount my lights into the ceiling.  If I was renting, I would have figured out a way to mount them to my workbench so as not to damage the rental property.  We all spend real money on our toys, why not spend some on lighting?
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12293 on: June 22, 2018, 09:45:53 pm »

It's nice to hear it referred to as a hospital and not a mortuary these days :D

Honestly, I don't understand the point of pin point lighting.  I will admit, I went overkill.  I have an 8' workbench.  I have 2, 4', 6 bulb LED shop fixtures that output about 10,000 lumen each.  I spent about $280 USD for both lights.  My workbench is bright, I can see, there are no dark spots or shadows and I am saving money over the fluorescent light fixtures I had while having more light.  Granted, I own my home and have dedicated office space so I can mount my lights into the ceiling.  If I was renting, I would have figured out a way to mount them to my workbench so as not to damage the rental property.  We all spend real money on our toys, why not spend some on lighting?

Proper benches as used in labs tend to have lighting built in as well.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12294 on: June 22, 2018, 09:50:24 pm »
Wouldn't it be nice to have some lab benches like those eh, plenty of space on the bench and shelf space above, I'd like another shelf there though, and then all the power you need attached to the back and even keyboard drawers. Love to have a house big enough or even a garage where you could locate something like that to work on.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #12295 on: June 22, 2018, 09:51:38 pm »

It's nice to hear it referred to as a hospital and not a mortuary these days :D

Ha! Good to look on the bright side, which segways to...

Proper benches as used in labs tend to have lighting built in as well.

And lots of outlets. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12296 on: June 22, 2018, 09:58:06 pm »

That reminds me. I need to do some cable management. Currently suffering from plug-a-geddon. And yes I have stacked two socket strips naughtily.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12297 on: June 22, 2018, 10:05:36 pm »

That reminds me. I need to do some cable management. Currently suffering from plug-a-geddon. And yes I have stacked two socket strips naughtily.

Yeah, I have done the same but the total loading with everything switched on is only in the magnitude of 1 to 2 amps unless I'm using the power supplies, which would push it up a maximum of 2A because I only use milliamps on my gear that needs to be powered externally. 
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12298 on: June 22, 2018, 10:08:41 pm »

The lab I used to run at PC Magazine had six benches like that in it. We imported them from Germany and they cost a fortune.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #12299 on: June 22, 2018, 10:09:14 pm »
And yes I have stacked two socket strips naughtily.
Who doesn't ?  :-//

20 modern DSO's on multiple strips is still only 600W.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf