Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14562349 times)

Jambalaya, Mortymore and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #14275 on: August 07, 2018, 06:17:52 am »

24 clock vs AM/PM : The military uses it. Most government agencies, such as police/fire, use it. But in everyday domestic situations AM/PM prevails. Call me ignorant but I didn't realize that many countries use 24 clock as standard. But in reality going back and forth between the two is ridiculously easy. So what's the issue?  :-//

Other units of measurement: In terms of international trade and goods the USA adopted the “metric system”. But internally we did not. Call it dumb if you want but that's the way it is. So while I can embrace metric measurements I am most comfortable with the old English system. So I prefer feet/miles/quarts/Fahrenheit. Don't understand what 90 degrees F is? Google is you friend.  Simply type 90F to C and you get your answer. (32 C). I do it all the time when presented with temperatures in C and I don't fuss and whine about it. Because I understand and accept that the rest of the world uses that as their standard. We don't. Accept it or move on.

So that's it in a nutshell. Call me arrogant. Call me stupid. Call me backward. I really don't care.  ::)

I was just trying to troll a bit.  >:D

I've got no problems at all reading AM/PM clocks, indeed that's what we learned in school as kids. But international date formats can be quite confusing, so often I use the ISO format "YYYY-MM-DD" to confuse people  8)

Anyway, all the other imperial units are just annoying, because I'll have to google or otherwise look them up.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #14276 on: August 07, 2018, 06:34:43 am »
I need the support cause I don't get much from me wife. :blah:

Put her on the forum here - I'll talk to her.  :-+

No way! She keeps joking that when I go in my basement, I cheat on her with the oscilloscope. Singular... oscilloscope. Do you realise what happens if she finds out that I have five?

Old joke...

A good engineer had both a wife and a mistress, and they know each other exists. Then he can tell the wife he is with the mistress, the mistress he is with the wife - and then go and have uninterrupted fun in the lab.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14277 on: August 07, 2018, 09:56:03 am »
FYI: "Cure" is a word that is only used here in reference to resins and, sometimes, the flu. 

And bacon. For goddess' sake man, don't forget the bacon, or the hams, or the smoked salmon, the pastrami, the bresaola,...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14278 on: August 07, 2018, 09:59:19 am »
Bacon.... now I'm hungry damm it.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14279 on: August 07, 2018, 10:05:12 am »
STOP. I have been trying to eat properly this week and this thread might cost me a nasty grill up with fried bread :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #14280 on: August 07, 2018, 10:09:17 am »
FYI: "Cure" is a word that is only used here in reference to resins and, sometimes, the flu. 

And bacon. For goddess' sake man, don't forget the bacon, or the hams, or the smoked salmon, the pastrami, the bresaola,...
You missed the Rainbow trout curing in a sprinkling of brown sugar and sea salt brine before smoking....yum !
Many have been devoured before going cold !  ^-^

Bacon doesn't even come close !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14281 on: August 07, 2018, 10:15:24 am »
Bacon doesn't have bones in it  :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #14282 on: August 07, 2018, 10:19:12 am »
Bacon doesn't have bones in it  :-DD
Nor does a properly prepared fillet of fish !

All ready to be properly molested !  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14283 on: August 07, 2018, 10:19:27 am »
Correct fish bones are pure evil  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14284 on: August 07, 2018, 10:47:23 am »

10 multimeters is fine, no problem with that but WTF do you want with a nuclear radiation monitor, thats not normal....
[/quote]

what?  well for one thing it is probably a Geiger counter.   a COUNTER.  you can't have too many counters.

another reason to have one......to monitor swmbo.

true story.  swmbo went in for some medical imaging.   they shot her full of some kind of image enhancer.  the guy said it was radioactive dye.

got her home and waved the old cdv700 at her and she was "hot hot hot".  measured her every hour for 24 hours and plotted the results.  her half life came to 6 hours.   looked up 6 hour half life and found technetium 99m (the internet is my friend).  called a guy at imaging and confirmed that was what they commonly used.

needless to say i schooched over to the far side of the bed until the old cdv cold warrior was no longer able to detect my glow in the dark bride (took about 3 days).

thats my story and i'm stickin' to it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 10:49:09 am by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14285 on: August 07, 2018, 10:55:10 am »
Hahaha that sounds like something I'd do  :-DD

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14286 on: August 07, 2018, 10:59:55 am »
swmbo gave me the stink eye every time I came at her with the yellow box.

but hell......she knew the job was dangerous when she took it.

free range primate

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #14287 on: August 07, 2018, 11:19:50 am »

10 multimeters is fine, no problem with that but WTF do you want with a nuclear radiation monitor, thats not normal....

what?  well for one thing it is probably a Geiger counter.   a COUNTER.  you can't have too many counters.

true story.  swmbo went in for some medical imaging.   they shot her full of some kind of image enhancer.  the guy said it was radioactive dye.

got her home and waved the old cdv700 at her and she was "hot hot hot".  measured her every hour for 24 hours and plotted the results.  her half life came to 6 hours.   looked up 6 hour half life and found technetium 99m (the internet is my friend).  called a guy at imaging and confirmed that was what they commonly used.

needless to say i schooched over to the far side of the bed until the old cdv cold warrior was no longer able to detect my glow in the dark bride (took about 3 days).

I could never top that!  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14288 on: August 07, 2018, 11:58:51 am »

Mmmm, baacon...
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #14289 on: August 07, 2018, 01:31:32 pm »
Miti

save yourself, we are all infected here

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #14290 on: August 07, 2018, 06:39:49 pm »

Mmmm, baacon...

My wife was not feeling like being a domestic goddess this morning, so it was "fend for yourself" breakfast time.  :scared:

I ate a whole package of precooked bacon by myself... BECAUSE I COULD.  ^-^

mnem
Thank Ifni there was leftover coffee, or there might have been blood...

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14291 on: August 07, 2018, 06:45:31 pm »

I could never top that!  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

Easily done. Computers tore apart all over the living room... carburetor rebuilt on the dining room table... the smell of hot-air rework in the morning... none of them hold a candle to :

"Honey, come move this transmission so I can take a ba-a-ath..."

mnem
True story... and I'm not sure whether to be supremely ashamed or perversely proud.  :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14292 on: August 07, 2018, 07:03:45 pm »
Purely by coincidence, just got myself some rads. Bust my frigging ankle earlier. Has gone all crunchy afterwards  :--

Think positive: good 4g, air con and pain killers at hospital  :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #14293 on: August 07, 2018, 07:08:41 pm »

Precooked? What the hell?

Have you noticed that USA bacon is (or certainly used to be) a pale shadow of UK bacon. For a start, the USA bacon is merely the cheapest cut of bacon, called "streaky bacon" for obvious reasons.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14294 on: August 07, 2018, 07:13:42 pm »

Have you noticed that USA bacon is (or certainly used to be) a pale shadow of UK bacon. For a start, the USA bacon is merely the cheapest cut of bacon, called "streaky bacon" for obvious reasons.

Both types of bacon are great. But you have to know where to apply them:

Streaky: burgers, salads, soups, wrapped around chicken.

Rashers: grill up, sandwiches.

I’ve used precooked many times. Same shit you get in supermarket sandwiches.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 07:17:06 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14295 on: August 07, 2018, 07:57:20 pm »

If its precooked you miss out on that glorious aroma of bacon sizzling in the frying pan, the small that has the power to break a person round out of a coma I reckon, its one of the great smells of British food, bacon in the pan and fish and chips, 2 smells that are guaranteed to make you instantly feel hungry  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14296 on: August 07, 2018, 07:58:36 pm »
Unless you had a heavy night before  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14297 on: August 07, 2018, 08:04:30 pm »
Speaking of which, how did you come to bust your ankle then, dropped a rad on it did you? Are you in hospital or just visited A&E?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:09:23 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14298 on: August 07, 2018, 08:15:15 pm »

Agreed on all counts. The kind of bacon you're talking about we call "Canadian bacon" which is more like sliced ham. Frizzled ham is ALSO a family favorite; but with the deregulation, they can now inject up to 24% by weight of water and not even tell you. They can inject up to 34% of salt & water "seasoning" as long as they tell you SOMEWHERE on the package; more than that and they have to call it "ham & water product".  :o Yes, seriously. This literally makes all but the most expensive brands (as in $10/lb or more) waterlogged shite that steam-cooks instead of frizzling in the pan.  :palm:

That said... the precooked bacon I have right now was reduced for quick sale to $1/package so I filled the freezer with it; it's Hormel premium so is decent cuts of bacon, cut deli-thin and cooked, then frozen. You have to be VERY sparing on the reheating or it turns rubbery; it's best, actually, just left out on the counter to thaw. The result is better-than-average cold bacon as you might use breakfast leftovers to make a BLT for lunch.

That said... even BAD bacon beats almost any lesser food all hollow, and today I was having a " grrr...! I need coffee before I can make coffee... " morning... so leftover coffee and 20-second bacon was literally heaven:-DD

mnem
Unless it's bad-bad, as in gone bad... that's just a sin against the food gods.  |O

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14299 on: August 07, 2018, 08:33:27 pm »
Speaking of which, how did you come to bust your ankle then, dropped a rad on it did you? Are you in hospital or just visited A&E?

Lego. Don’t ask :)

Waiting in A&E now. Joy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf