Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14813334 times)

URI, Mortymore and 104 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20100 on: November 21, 2018, 05:21:26 pm »
Contrary to common belief, the beer is only warm in the North. We can afford fridges down South ;)

Cold beer is drunk by foreigners (because they don't know any better) and children (who don't like bitter flavours; hence Babycham!).

Now that blue touchpaper is lit, I'll retire to a safe distance.
Beer is for hillbillies and woodchucks with no sense of taste. If it's not worth drinking a good bourbon or brandy, it's not worth drinking to.  >:D

mnem
*Agitating-ily*

for a bavarian, the worst in life is warm beer and cold women.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20101 on: November 21, 2018, 05:29:55 pm »
for a bavarian, the worst in life is warm beer and cold women.

Actually this brings me to a master plan a friend and myself concocted in the 90s. The plan was indeed to fill life with cold beer and warm German women. So we started a goth / industrial band. That didn't work out too well :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20102 on: November 21, 2018, 05:44:15 pm »
Why warm German women as opposed to warm women, do you know something about German women that the rest of us don't?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20103 on: November 21, 2018, 05:44:54 pm »
The plan was indeed to fill life with cold beer and warm German women.

Most definitely!  :-DD :-DD :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20104 on: November 21, 2018, 05:56:45 pm »
The plan was indeed to fill life with cold beer and warm German women.

Most definitely!  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Ok, I'll join the queue  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20105 on: November 21, 2018, 06:08:05 pm »
Here's the final design for the 190VDC calibrator. Need to get a new case. The current case is too small to fit the LR8 regulator assembly. And the 10K trimmer is only a 4 turn. I think I'll get better resolution with a 10 turn or 15 turn trimmer. Don't currently have one but will order one along with the new case.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20106 on: November 21, 2018, 06:19:46 pm »
Why warm German women as opposed to warm women, do you know something about German women that the rest of us don't?

From experience the propensity for former Eastern Bloc women to be floozies was higher. German ones were just first over the wall  :-DD

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20107 on: November 21, 2018, 06:56:46 pm »

From experience the propensity for former Eastern Bloc women to be floozies was higher. German ones were just first over the wall  :-DD

Stoater!!  :-DD
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #20108 on: November 21, 2018, 08:08:16 pm »
Cold beer is drunk by foreigners (because they don't know any better) ...

I say ignorance is bliss.  :)

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #20109 on: November 21, 2018, 09:12:28 pm »
In Bavaria, just the idea that some people on this planet prefer *warm* beer makes the Brexit somehow attractive  >:D

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20110 on: November 21, 2018, 10:42:40 pm »
A friend of mine who owned and maintained an MGB used to say that the Brits who drank their beer warm must have owned Lucas refrigerators.   >:D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20111 on: November 21, 2018, 11:05:12 pm »
Yes pre-reg. There's a PTC in there which will have to do the job. I only have kit to do this on line unfortunately  :--
IIRC you need an amp or two @ ~42V, surely you have something to cobble together that can do ?
A couple of linear PSU's in series ?

I’ve got a 30V 1A and 15V 4A so no  :--

If you were a little closer you could borrow my HP6002A - 50V 200W - but sunny Newham's probably an overlong stretch for you to pick it up and drop it back. Offer stands if you're prepared for the drive - twice.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #20112 on: November 21, 2018, 11:07:29 pm »
Cold beer is drunk by foreigners (because they don't know any better) ...

I say ignorance is bliss.  :)

I say drink wine in Plato's Cave. Lots of it.  :-DD

mnem
“Qu’ils mangent de la Hostess Ho-Hos.” ~ Marie Antoinette
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #20113 on: November 21, 2018, 11:18:29 pm »
TEAlert: eBay (US & Canada) 15% off, but you have to use the latest version of their app. See link for details.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20114 on: November 21, 2018, 11:27:50 pm »

Yup. I'm working with a company in Slovakia. Made my supplier selection right after seeing their team pics. Looking forward to the trip.  ;D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20115 on: November 21, 2018, 11:40:06 pm »
If you were a little closer you could borrow my HP6002A - 50V 200W - but sunny Newham's probably an overlong stretch for you to pick it up and drop it back. Offer stands if you're prepared for the drive - twice.

Thanks for the offer but Newham is indeed a bit of a trek from here unfortunately, at least requiring battle with the North Circular for a couple of hours each way, otherwise I would probably take you up on that. As it would no doubt require garage snacks it'd probably be cheaper buying that PL330 too :D

Got my eye on some more TEA goodies. It's looking good at the moment. In anyone is interested, there are two 34401A's on eBay at the moment, neither of which I will probably go for because (a) honestly I don't need one at the moment and (b) I'm slightly afraid of the look I'm going to get (c) other stuff I have listed hasn't sold yet. To extrapolate on (a), I do need one but not yet. I have a lot of organisational work to do on my projects before I will commit to such an expense. That organisational work is "finishing the repairs and construction projects on the go" :)

Yup. I'm working with a company in Slovakia. Made my supplier selection right after seeing their team pics. Looking forward to the trip.  ;D

Hahaha. My cousin, basically Quagmire from Family Guy, including the pilot's license, went to Belarus a few years ago and got himself in trouble with a couple of local ladies. He had to buy them iPhones to get them not report him to the police :palm: (he didn't do anything as such, just picked the wrong two ladies) ... He also got a day trip shooting AK-47s out of a helicopter. Said it was the best holiday he'd ever had  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20116 on: November 21, 2018, 11:43:16 pm »
@ Neomys Sapiens I just hope that when you make the trip you're not disappointed. I used to work for a small company that only had 4 members of staff which included the owner and whenever he knew a client was going to come and see him, he hired a dozen or so other people, kitted them all out with white coats etc and gave them very simple little jobs to do, basically creating the illusion of being a far larger outfit then he really was. The minute the clients left he would pay off the "models" and we instantly reduced the 4 of us again  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20117 on: November 21, 2018, 11:55:01 pm »
TEAlert: eBay (US & Canada) 15% off, but you have to use the latest version of their app. See link for details.

Thanks bitseeker - I just used it to get an hp 8904A Multifunction Synthesizer and saved $32.

Fresh TEA!  8)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20118 on: November 21, 2018, 11:55:56 pm »
A coworker pulled a really evil trick on me today. She has set her smartphone to a silent mode, in which calls are signalled by vibration and quite bright blueish-white flashes. Then she got a call right when I was about to connect a N cable to a 1kW RF amplifier. It was supposed to be inactive, but the connection to the input also delivers 48V DC at considerable power. Made me jump back a meter and 'Waaah!'. :rant:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20119 on: November 22, 2018, 12:01:19 am »

Thanks bitseeker - I just used it to get an hp 8904A Multifunction Synthesizer and saved $32.

Fresh TEA!  8)

Excellent! Just in the nick of time.

Speaking of timing, I got a second-chance offer on the HP 3456A that I lost out on. So, it appears I now have twins arriving. D'oh!

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20120 on: November 22, 2018, 12:18:10 am »
Excellent! Just in the nick of time.

Speaking of timing, I got a second-chance offer on the HP 3456A that I lost out on. So, it appears I now have twins arriving. D'oh!

OMG! Expect TEA overload in this space next week.  :popcorn:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20121 on: November 22, 2018, 12:19:42 am »
Good stuff. Hopefully some (hopefully cheap!) additions here too. We've been drifting onto other subjects a bit much recently! :-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20122 on: November 22, 2018, 12:33:54 am »
Yeah, I've just been buried with "real life" obligations. Otherwise, I've got plenty to post about. *sigh*

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #20123 on: November 22, 2018, 01:56:13 am »

I saved even more $$, because I didn't see this till after it had expired and as a result managed NOT to go sailing on the bay of evil.  My repair queue is way too long as it is, too...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20124 on: November 22, 2018, 02:15:54 am »
My repair queue is way too long as it is, too...

Oh the old "My repair queue is way too long as it is" discount code.  :-DD

It's fine, you can experience new TEA vicariously through your brothers here.  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf