Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14828713 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #21250 on: December 15, 2018, 09:09:46 pm »
Hear, hear. Do love me a guac, now I've had some actually made fresh.

Here we have Wholly Guacamole; it's a pretty fair recipe made local and fresh with nothing but Haas avocados, some seasoning, and a little vinegar. Then they vacuum-seal it in a tub, typically with a 2 or 3 week due date (properly refrigerated, of course). I can get my fix hassle-free just by popping the skin off the tub.

It's one of the few really good food things made possible by modern processing methods.  No idea how far abroad they ship the stuff, though.

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #21251 on: December 15, 2018, 09:58:14 pm »
I've got a friend who lives in San Francisco. I've always, the 10 or so times I've visited USA, felt more at home in the coastal regions. Flyover country is not my thing, really. He's from Wisconsin, so has a more balanced view wrt coast vs plains/mountains. But, which is why he's mentioned here, we also spoke, one day, about the food. And he, who spent like 15 years in Sweden, is dual citizen and so on, said, "The produce, the quality, it's simply fantastic."  I'm inclined to believe that. Must get over and visit him. Which means I need to get dayjob to sponsor the trip. Cheap me.  Wonder how much you can check or ship home from a suitable TEA fulfillment outlet...

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #21252 on: December 15, 2018, 10:14:15 pm »
Hear, hear. Do love me a guac, now I've had some actually made fresh.

Here we have Wholly Guacamole; it's a pretty fair recipe made local and fresh with nothing but Haas avocados, some seasoning, and a little vinegar. Then they vacuum-seal it in a tub, typically with a 2 or 3 week due date (properly refrigerated, of course). I can get my fix hassle-free just by popping the skin off the tub.

It's one of the few really good food things made possible by modern processing methods.  No idea how far abroad they ship the stuff, though.

mnem
 :popcorn:

No store bought guac here.  Mrs GreyWoolfe lived a number of years in Tejas and had a number of Mexican friends, one of which taught her how to properly make it.  I am too spoiled now to eat store bought.  When she makes it, it's like that movie, Gone in 60 Seconds.  Cheeps?  We don need no steenkin' cheeps--tablespoons with no concern of double dipping!
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21253 on: December 15, 2018, 10:34:16 pm »
"Authentic Mexican" recipes typically have so much chili powder in them you can't tell the difference between guac and barracho beans.  ::)

I'm a little too güero for those recipes I guess; that is not what I call flavor, thank you. I like to be able to taste the avocados. I'll eat them fresh, just sprinkle one of my favorite seasoning blends on one cut in half and scoop them out of the skin with a spoon. Best if you can share with a friend; a whole avocado is a large serving even for a fat bastahd like me, and 1/2 a avocado doesn't keep, even if you spray lemon juice on it.

That's a LIE made up to make white people feel better about trying to put half a avocado away "for later." You need to man up, make some fucking friends IRL and eat avocados the way they're MEANT to be eaten.  SHARED. :-DD

mnem
Food brings people together.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #21254 on: December 15, 2018, 10:39:30 pm »
Fresh Guacamole made within an hour of consumption or NOPE.

Avocado fully ripe and soft - mashed with a fork so it has 'texture' not homogeneous green slimy paste like commercial gunk.
Lime Juice for the Acid
Salt and a touch of Cracked Pepper
Chili or Peppers for heat
Finely diced spring onions for a bit of crunch and more texture.

Can add other herbs and spices (never any Garlic) to it but generally not for me.

Combine with Beer and Fresh flat bread.  :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21255 on: December 15, 2018, 10:39:52 pm »
Nope!  :rant:  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #21256 on: December 15, 2018, 10:53:35 pm »
Crap. I just noticed the packet of guacamole I've been eating with my pig chips is 2 weeks past it's date...  :o

I have stuff in my cupboard marked "best before Dec 1992", and I still eat it occasionally.
I have a jar of jam I made - in 1987. (Rather good strawberries, Cambridge Royal).
I've just bought 7kg of meat (in Asda/Walmart) where the instructions say "A mould may form on the surface. This is harmless and completely normal, and can be removed by gently rubbing with clean kitchen towel and olive oil before thinly slicing away the affected area"
I normally leave steak in the fridge past its "best before date", on the principle that I'm merely doing the equivalent of hanging it an extra few days (the most expensive beef here has been hung for 28 or 30 days).

OTOH there are other foods that I'm anal about, e.g. salads.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #21257 on: December 15, 2018, 10:58:45 pm »
Take that Schaffner unit out back and drive a iron stake through its heart, then pulverize the remains with a 6-lb hand maul. Use the cross-peen end to tenderize it first. ;)   If what remains is too thick to slip under the back door,  you need to beat on it some more before it's "truly and sincerely dead".  :-DD

mnem
Burn what remains after that, and beat the ashes with a hammer too... take NO chances.  >:D

I think this should do it, after all it served an hp well.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21258 on: December 15, 2018, 11:08:41 pm »

And never forget https://www.labsix.org/physical-objects-that-fool-neural-nets/

So, if one wants to pet one's cat and the fingers have avocado puree on them after
or
if one wants to eat guacamole and it meows back at you
would be incontrovertible proof that one is living inside a simulation run by a imperfect AI, I suppose.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21259 on: December 15, 2018, 11:24:39 pm »
Take that Schaffner unit out back and drive a iron stake through its heart, then pulverize the remains with a 6-lb hand maul. Use the cross-peen end to tenderize it first. ;)   If what remains is too thick to slip under the back door,  you need to beat on it some more before it's "truly and sincerely dead".  :-DD

mnem
Burn what remains after that, and beat the ashes with a hammer too... take NO chances.  >:D
   I think this should do it, after all it served an hp well.

LOLOL!    :-DD  That is priceless... we need to add it to the POI!   But uhhh... that is still only mostly dead. ;)

I wasn't kidding... you should really take no chances on it EVER coming back to haunt anyone ever again.   :-BROKE

And never forget https://www.labsix.org/physical-objects-that-fool-neural-nets/      
So, if one wants to pet one's cat and the fingers have avocado puree on them after
or
if one wants to eat guacamole and it meows back at you
would be incontrovertible proof that one is living inside a simulation run by a imperfect AI, I suppose.

https://youtu.be/z_KmNZNT5xw

mnem
How MUCH like it... was it the SAME cat? ;)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21260 on: December 15, 2018, 11:36:02 pm »
@xrunner: LMAO that’s just perfect.

@mnem: Funny to see the matrix mentioned. I just watched Animatrix followed by Ghost in the Shell (the new one) seeing as my bench is taken up with PC crap.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21261 on: December 16, 2018, 01:46:22 am »
Fresh Guacamole made within an hour of consumption or NOPE.

Avocado fully ripe and soft - mashed with a fork so it has 'texture' not homogeneous green slimy paste like commercial gunk.
Lime Juice for the Acid
Salt and a touch of Cracked Pepper
Chili or Peppers for heat
Finely diced spring onions for a bit of crunch and more texture.

Can add other herbs and spices (never any Garlic) to it but generally not for me.

Combine with Beer and Fresh flat bread.  :-+

Yeah, I have a life. I'll take my "next best thing" for the times I can't be arsed to make it myself.  :-+

I know the difference, and I'm down widdat. Still beats not having guac at all, which if I HAD to make it myself, would be about 6 times out of 10.

mnem
*p00t!*

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21262 on: December 16, 2018, 01:49:53 am »
So I purchased a Possum neural simulator today just need to sort out a conveyance method to get the message through their furry hide and rubbery paws now  >:D

Then there is the larger issue, I don't have any test gear capable of measuring the output  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #21263 on: December 16, 2018, 02:02:12 am »
So I purchased a Possum neural simulator today just need to sort out a conveyance method to get the message through their furry hide and rubbery paws now  >:D

Then there is the larger issue, I don't have any test gear capable of measuring the output  :palm:
Should be ~5-10KV 3ms pulse @ 1Hz. Fuggetabout trying to measure it.
Just hold a well insulated wire across the terminals to see if it sparks.....should jump 1-2mm, maybe more.

Make sure you get a decent earth peg installed, either in a permanently wet area (oh, that's right you're in OZ) or one long enough to reach the water table.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21264 on: December 16, 2018, 02:08:41 am »

Start a stopwatch. Pee on the Energizer output wire. Note time when you wake up. Repeat until you feel you've collected enough data points to plot a usable graph.

mnem
Empirical data FTW!!!  :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21265 on: December 16, 2018, 02:12:42 am »

Careful your anti TEA acquisition sentiments may get noticed  :-DD

Laundry where it will likely finish up is still on underground copper pipes so check to the earth. Timer from 11-6am to avoid Mum getting a boot if she is wandering around (just because I like her most of the time  ;D ). Exposed wire on the top of the fence and thinking tape on standoffs on the roof where they jump on an off at before the cavorting takes place is sort of the thought process.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21266 on: December 16, 2018, 02:26:56 am »

Just know that stuff so saving you a $ to spend on something else.  :P

Laundry where it will likely finish up is still on underground copper pipes so check to the earth. Timer from 11-6am to avoid Mum getting a boot if she is wandering around (just because I like her most of the time  ;D ). Exposed wire on the top of the fence and thinking tape on standoffs on the roof where they jump on an off at before the cavorting takes place is sort of the thought process.
Nah, don't use the plumbing, it's probably already mains grounded and you risk introducing 1 Hz clicking into anything with an audio output.
Electric fence grounding should be 2m+ from any mains grounding.......should state something like that in your installation guide.

You need consider the shock electric path/loop so that anywhere the shock target is has good connection to the units ground......can be just moisture or a ground return (2 wire) setup.
So with a tin roof, you'd want to strap it to the ground and run your hot wire is the path of any vermin.
For long lasting joints/connections watch for dissimilar metal connections.  :--
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 02:32:05 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21267 on: December 16, 2018, 02:27:52 am »

Start a stopwatch. Pee on the Energizer output wire. Note time when you wake up. Repeat until you feel you've collected enough data points to plot a usable graph.

mnem

I was taught the wet blade of grass test and left the peeing on live fences to the less mentally able ones. We actually did a trip to a dairy farm while in secondary school and yes some of the Brain surgeons did pee on one to prove their manliness. I still remember who they were (the usual suspects) one of the three did a stint in Prison for assault not sure about the others but leaving school at 16 generally doesn't set you up well in life.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21268 on: December 16, 2018, 02:28:28 am »

https://youtu.be/7ssZaevOZA8

If you really loved yer mum, you'd warn her before you turn your house and garden into "The Green Mile".   :-DD

mnem
Just sayin'.  >:D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 02:30:40 am by mnementh »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21269 on: December 16, 2018, 02:34:35 am »

You need consider the shock electric path/loop so that anywhere the shock target is has good connection to the units ground......can be just moisture or a ground return (2 wire) setup.
So with a tin roof, you'd want to strap it to the ground.
For long lasting joints/connections watch for dissimilar metal connections.  :--

Using an exploding stick would be so much easier  >:D

Cold tap in the Laundry is isolated as I redid part of the run in Poly 8-10 years ago BTW
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 02:36:14 am by beanflying »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21270 on: December 16, 2018, 02:35:26 am »
https://youtu.be/9HqVG8gkV9E

Or is your mum more the "Mrs. Tiggywinkle" sort?    :-DD

mnem
*Juicy*

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #21271 on: December 16, 2018, 02:42:26 am »
I was thinkin' it - but you SAID it!
(I liked the stopwatch.  It validates the exercise!)

:-+

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21272 on: December 16, 2018, 02:44:17 am »
https://youtu.be/9HqVG8gkV9E

Or is your mum more the "Mrs. Tiggywinkle" sort?    :-DD

mnem
*Juicy*
Yeah ya don't wanna put a hot wire too close to the ground otherwise you zap poor little hogs that just curl into a ball and continue to get zapped until they're dead.  :(
6" up is OK for hogs.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21273 on: December 16, 2018, 03:54:05 am »

Hopefully you got a possum STIMULATOR; as a possum SIMULATOR would have the same effect on YOU than an actual possum, i.e. keeping you awake.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21274 on: December 16, 2018, 04:03:47 am »
They are stimulated enough already :horse: but it seems auto correct or my brain (3am visit last night  |O) wasn't working properly

Take these sorts of noises mix them with the high speed 'scampering' (CLOMPING) of 2-5kg of animal across a tin roof.

https://youtu.be/nqZtuw-O-G8

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf