Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14817438 times)

Kosmic, Carl_Smith and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #2325 on: September 26, 2017, 12:42:59 pm »
1x water level 250mm long, resolution 0,04mm/m  ;D

That's an odd size. Is this a particularly German water level, the type with a flat shelf under most of the measuring surface?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2326 on: September 26, 2017, 07:54:49 pm »
That's [250mm length] an odd size. Is this a particularly German water level, the type with a flat shelf under most of the measuring surface?

No, I don't think so. Its suited for flat surfaces as well as for tubes in my opinion. It seems to be special (made of steel and weighs ~1.7kg)  and is probably no particularly German level.

By the way, being german, I surely only know german water levels like those shown here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/Wasserwaage-Karl_Dahm.jpg (short one, typical length I know is 80-100cm).

How do waterlevels look like that are not particularly German?
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2327 on: September 26, 2017, 08:30:06 pm »
That's [250mm length] an odd size. Is this a particularly German water level, the type with a flat shelf under most of the measuring surface?

No, I don't think so. Its suited for flat surfaces as well as for tubes in my opinion. It seems to be special (made of steel and weighs ~1.7kg)  and is probably no particularly German level.

By the way, being german, I surely only know german water levels like those shown here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/Wasserwaage-Karl_Dahm.jpg (short one, typical length I know is 80-100cm).

How do waterlevels look like that are not particularly German?

It's OK, I thought you were making a subtle joke. Ignore it.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2328 on: September 26, 2017, 08:37:12 pm »
1x water level 250mm long, resolution 0,04mm/m  ;D

That's an odd size.
Not so much for a mechanical engineer.
Sometimes electricians and especially plumbers use short levels too.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2329 on: September 26, 2017, 08:49:12 pm »
[..PM2534 with LM399..]
Do you have any further information which you can share here? Probably in a new thread?

As a quick piece of information I dove into my photo-archive and can now show you my prototype for pimping my PM2535.
Looks quiet bodgy, the two pins of the zener part of the LM399 are soldered where the original zener was placed and the heater pins are bend up and connected to bodge wires disappearing under the circuit board through a hole..

To put things right: This is no after-work job for me. I'll have to compare both DMMs on parts and circuit level to not miss any changed/new/opened connection and to fit it to the schematic. After that the pimped DMM needs recalibration. I'll change the backup battery then also..
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2330 on: September 27, 2017, 07:46:01 am »

Whoosh!  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2331 on: September 27, 2017, 11:29:28 am »
Bad morning. My 8050A just blew out its power supply. Looks like a fatality as it won't even come up on a bench supply  :'(

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2332 on: September 27, 2017, 11:37:03 am »
Bad morning. My 8050A just blew out its power supply. Looks like a fatality as it won't even come up on a bench supply  :'(
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2333 on: September 27, 2017, 11:58:44 am »
I'll keep it for parts in case I find a limping one.

On a positive note, now I need to find a new toy to buy. Looking at GW Instek GDM-8341 at the moment which seems to do the job and is a reasonable price (compared to Keysight and Fluke anyway)

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #2334 on: September 27, 2017, 11:59:29 am »

That really sucks.
 :( :( :(
Sue AF6LJ

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2335 on: September 27, 2017, 12:01:45 pm »
It's been a bit iffy for a while. Occasionally it'll just read a random voltage and then jump back to where it was supposed to be. LCD is bleeding a bit as well now. It's time to move on.

Edit: does anyone know what the deal with modern DMMs is? NONE of them have any decent AC bandwidth. Need around 50KHz.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:14:25 pm by bd139 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2336 on: September 27, 2017, 01:30:00 pm »
Good news! I found a dodgy cracked tant on the board and have desoldered it. Seems to have come back again with some measurements a bit jumpy and consuming a hell of a lot less current. I'll order some replacements tants and refurb it properly I think.

Going to buy a new meter anyway. Need something I can rely on.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2337 on: September 27, 2017, 01:37:06 pm »
Good news! I found a dodgy cracked tant on the board and have desoldered it.

Maybe a result of the electrolytics starting to fail after 30-odd years.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2338 on: September 27, 2017, 01:50:51 pm »
They've all been replaced on it in the last year. It's only been dicky for a week. Possible I suppose.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2339 on: September 27, 2017, 01:56:06 pm »
They've all been replaced on it in the last year.

...or maybe not that.  :)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2340 on: September 27, 2017, 02:06:47 pm »
I think this is tantalums being dicks :)

Typically I skipped replacing them because the TH ones are pretty expensive now and they're usually quite reliable. Turns out I was wrong :)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2341 on: September 27, 2017, 02:10:24 pm »
I think this is tantalums being dicks :)

Typically I skipped replacing them because the TH ones are pretty expensive now and they're usually quite reliable. Turns out I was wrong :)

1980s tantalums aren't the same as today's tantalums.

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #2342 on: September 27, 2017, 02:16:50 pm »
Damn. Forgot completely to check the ones on my 8050A. Works fine though. But nontheless I will check them, once I have again acess to the meter.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2343 on: September 27, 2017, 03:08:33 pm »
Edit: does anyone know what the deal with modern DMMs is? NONE of them have any decent AC bandwidth. Need around 50KHz.

All the old ones used a separate analogue RMS converter, either a hybrid or one of the Analog or Linear chips (e.g. the classic AD536). Modern low to mid price meters have the RMS conversion hidden inside the chipset and who knows how it is done. I have a suspicion that many may use a digital method and if that is the case obviously the bandwidth is going to be limited by the rate at which they can sample the raw waveform.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2344 on: September 27, 2017, 05:03:05 pm »
Good news! I found a dodgy cracked tant on the board and have desoldered it. Seems to have come back again with some measurements a bit jumpy and consuming a hell of a lot less current. I'll order some replacements tants and refurb it properly I think.

That's a relief. The reports of her demise were greatly exaggerated. (What Mark Twain would've said if he had a Fluke 8050A.)

Looking at GW Instek GDM-8341 at the moment which seems to do the job and is a reasonable price (compared to Keysight and Fluke anyway)

The earlier GDM-8251 that were being liquidated en masse seemed to be well liked. I still see some at a reasonable price from time to time.

does anyone know what the deal with modern DMMs is? NONE of them have any decent AC bandwidth. Need around 50KHz.

The Instek meters have 100kHz AC bandwidth. Sounds like it'd be OK for you, though you'd want to confirm the accuracy is sufficient at your desired frequency. The venerable HP/Agilent 34401A is 300kHz and 6.5-digit, but only single display.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2345 on: September 27, 2017, 06:38:30 pm »

Well you did say that you would like a Fluke 45, heres one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263231660240?ul_noapp=true, worth a look?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2346 on: September 27, 2017, 06:42:28 pm »
It's been a bit iffy for a while. Occasionally it'll just read a random voltage and then jump back to where it was supposed to be. LCD is bleeding a bit as well now. It's time to move on.

If the daisies become permanent the two lesser SDM's 3045X and 3055 are spec'ed to 100 KHz while the 6.5 digit 3065X goes to 300 KHz.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2347 on: September 27, 2017, 07:14:42 pm »
Interesting. Will take a look at them.

Well you did say that you would like a Fluke 45, heres one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263231660240?ul_noapp=true, worth a look?

Border line with that. You usually get screwed at customs and RM do that’s 70 + VAT + RM handling extortion so 90. One went in better shape locally as you know for 96 :)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #2348 on: September 27, 2017, 08:01:36 pm »
I'll keep it for parts in case I find a limping one.

On a positive note, now I need to find a new toy to buy. Looking at GW Instek GDM-8341 at the moment which seems to do the job and is a reasonable price (compared to Keysight and Fluke anyway)

How about a Keithley THD 2015? Sometimes they can be found cheap on ebay.

Link to the datasheet:
https://www.tek.com/document/specification/model-2015-total-harmonic-distortion-multimeter-specifications-rev-j
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2349 on: September 27, 2017, 08:05:54 pm »
Unfortunately not in the UK. Stuff here is pretty expensive for no apparent reason.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf