Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14911852 times)

ch_scr, TERRA Operative, factory and 250 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25375 on: February 15, 2019, 11:26:00 pm »
@Med.

I have been thinking, instead of shipping just one anchor, once I get the RR back on the road, maybe I will take a trip up that way and drop off 4 of them. You seem to appreciate them as much as anyone else and they would have a good home there. Let me know if its something you may consider. Cost of fuel is probably less than the cost to post them all up there. I may not need to come all the way up, if you are mobile and that works too.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25376 on: February 15, 2019, 11:49:29 pm »
Tonight I am going to put the 5200A with the Overload light that is always on, up on the bench (actually still at the breakfast table) and see what I can figure out. Anyone else interested in seeing the pics, or even a short video? Spend  several hours reading the manual and watching repair video and have a good idea where to start and see if I can get it back into service. Its still on eBay, of course, but I can adjust the listing accordingly, or remove it all together, given the results.

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #25377 on: February 16, 2019, 12:26:19 am »
@Med.

I have been thinking, instead of shipping just one anchor, once I get the RR back on the road, maybe I will take a trip up that way and drop off 4 of them. You seem to appreciate them as much as anyone else and they would have a good home there. Let me know if its something you may consider. Cost of fuel is probably less than the cost to post them all up there. I may not need to come all the way up, if you are mobile and that works too.

Sure, I would entertain that. It's 991 miles one way. How far north are you willing to come? Let me know.

4?? What's 4? All I'm aware of is the 7704 and you want me to look at the Time Mark Generator.  :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #25378 on: February 16, 2019, 12:33:29 am »
@Med.

Sure, I would entertain that. It's 991 miles one way. How far north are you willing to come? Let me know.

4?? What's 4? All I'm aware of is the 7704 and you want me to look at the Time Mark Generator.  :-//

Additional....mapping it out I'd be coming down I-81 from PA....then hit that small sliver of Maryland and also West Virginia. That's about as far as I'd want to go. 

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25379 on: February 16, 2019, 12:37:34 am »
My wife has family in PA off of I-81..hum...we can work it out shortly. Parts for the RR will be here mid week and we can go from there. Hopefully she'll come back to life with just a bit more lovin'.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #25380 on: February 16, 2019, 12:44:55 am »
Tonight I am going to put the 5200A with the Overload light that is always on, up on the bench (actually still at the breakfast table) and see what I can figure out. Anyone else interested in seeing the pics, or even a short video? Spend  several hours reading the manual and watching repair video and have a good idea where to start and see if I can get it back into service. Its still on eBay, of course, but I can adjust the listing accordingly, or remove it all together, given the results.

Lemme get this straight... you're talking about going full Monty with a vintage Fluke calibrator; fondling its most delicate tender vitals and juicing it where its dangly bits are, and you want to know IF WE WANT VIDEO?!?

Hello... I'm TEA. HAVE WE MET?!?  :-DD

mnem
Here, hold my while I bring up the video...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, nixiefreqq

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #25381 on: February 16, 2019, 12:50:56 am »
My wife has family in PA off of I-81..hum...we can work it out shortly. Parts for the RR will be here mid week and we can go from there. Hopefully she'll come back to life with just a bit more lovin'.

Where in PA? I would be coming from NY via I-84 West to Harrisburg then take I-81 South towards you.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #25382 on: February 16, 2019, 12:55:36 am »
For anyone who hasn't seen them yet this is a good way to reuse salvaged 18650's. Charge and use at the same time, Onboard 5V 90+% eff dc-dc converter and 3V regs and proper charge and protection circuits.  :-+

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ESP32-ESP32S-For-Wemos-For-Raspberry-Pi-18650-Battery-Charge-Shield-Board-V3-Micro-USB-Port/32870411748.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5aa04c4dw78fPg

Cheap Cheap not so Ruff Ruff  ;)

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #25383 on: February 16, 2019, 12:58:22 am »
For anyone who hasn't seen them yet this is a good way to reuse salvaged 18650's. Charge and use at the same time, Onboard 5V 90+% eff dc-dc converter and 3V regs and proper charge and protection circuits.  :-+

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ESP32-ESP32S-For-Wemos-For-Raspberry-Pi-18650-Battery-Charge-Shield-Board-V3-Micro-USB-Port/32870411748.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5aa04c4dw78fPg

Fail, your link sez it's no longer available.  ;D

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25384 on: February 16, 2019, 01:03:58 am »
...can part with TEK units.

Also on a separate note: I chose this name because I take recycled 18650's and build them into power-banks big enough to run greenhouses, cabins, cars, and even homes. I put the 18650's to work with inverters. I havent built a pack in a while but once I get healthy again, I am going to upgrade my backup unit to 15kWh's.

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #25385 on: February 16, 2019, 01:11:51 am »

Also on a separate note: I chose this name because I take recycled 18650's and build them into power-banks big enough to run greenhouses, cabins, cars, and even homes. I put the 18650's to work with inverters. I havent built a pack in a while but once I get healthy again, I am going to upgrade my backup unit to 15kWh's.

Are you serious or are you just pulling my chain???  :o :o :o :o :o :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25387 on: February 16, 2019, 01:13:02 am »

Are you serious or are you just pulling my chain???  :o :o :o :o :o :-DD :-DD :-DD

Four seems fair...gotta leave a few for the other TEK nuts. PM me so we dont crowd up the other chats. Itll be next weekend at best for I can make the trip.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 01:15:03 am by Inverted18650 »

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #25388 on: February 16, 2019, 01:16:30 am »

Four seems fair...gotta leave a few for the other TEK nuts.

So I get to pick and choose? Really??? Holy shit. OK.....7704, 2445, 310A, 7603. You better get that Rover fixed pronto even if you have to swim to the UK to get the parts.  :-DD :-DD

Edit...OK....we'll PM from this point.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25389 on: February 16, 2019, 01:24:41 am »

I built a similar unit for testing my cells using the ATMega but used the 4 cell holder tray instead of a the single. The BOM was similar as was cost.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25390 on: February 16, 2019, 01:31:02 am »

10 pieces for $3.75; fits pretty much anywhere. Also works with most small-medium salvaged LiPo cells.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303045071629

mnem
Feeling totally ratchet.  :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25391 on: February 16, 2019, 01:39:16 am »

10 pieces for $3.75; fits pretty much anywhere. Also works with most small-medium salvaged LiPo cells.

mnem

These work well if you just need to charge single cells. Again if you built a pack, don't go here. But for single cell use, hard to beat. But why spend a penny if you just need to charge one cell? Almost all of these are built from the DW01 IC or whatever the newest cheapest replica unit is, and they have voltage swings as high as 4.35V and cutoffs as low as 2.50V...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 01:43:36 am by Inverted18650 »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25392 on: February 16, 2019, 01:43:54 am »

mnem

I have a bunch of them too but not as flexible as the other to use.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25393 on: February 16, 2019, 02:01:52 am »
ON THE T.E.A. FRONT

I recently snagged two more 5440B's and another 3245A.That means these 3xx DC standards need a home as soon as possible.
I will have my hands ful with the incoming units.
For now, back to working on the 5200A. Ill start a separate 'repair thread' if anything of interest happens.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25394 on: February 16, 2019, 02:15:21 am »

That sucks. And what happens after you guys go Brexit?  :-//
Then ordering from the continent will be about the same! :-//

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25395 on: February 16, 2019, 02:35:32 am »

That sucks. And what happens after you guys go Brexit?  :-//

Then ordering from the continent will be about the same! :-//

Yep, if it goes ahead we're screwed, because some people cannot let go of the past and move on, others of course are going make a fortune from it, namely those in power I guess because I cannot think of a single reason why else have they not scuppered plans to exit  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25396 on: February 16, 2019, 02:43:06 am »
Ok, someone please tell me..
WHAT IS IT ABOUT HPAK AND THOSE BLOODY FEET?

The HP6825A is missing all four of them. I am not amused!

But it is the least of my woes with this device. The second part from that triple score did go downwards fast.
External inspection did not rise my concern. no deformations, no debris inside. On the plus side, the jumpers on the terminal strips in the rear seem to be complete.
I took the bottom cover off to have a look at the ground jack (whch is not realy accessible from there, but ok for a look and bit of manipulation) and it is not simply loose, but broken. Real access wil need the front assembly to be taken off, if I can get the part.
Also, the rotary switches feel funny. Mushy. In a way that, were it a Tek, it might have to be put down.
The switches in the 3312A are not nearly as mushy. I dont want to look there right now.
And it not exactly clean.
But that was not the most alarming discovery. There is a spot. No, it is not a particularely nice spot.
It is a scorchmark. Right on the bottom main PCB.
And the only doc that I found has no circuit diagram and no component locator.
Yes, I switched it on. Slight hum, indicator lit, no frying sound. CC Led solidly lit.
No combination of mode and pot positions did cause any reaction.
Zero output.
Disgusting.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 02:49:52 am by Neomys Sapiens »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25397 on: February 16, 2019, 02:48:28 am »

Yep, if it goes ahead we're screwed, because some people cannot let go of the past and move on, others of course are going make a fortune from it, namely those in power I guess because I cannot think of a single reason why else have they not scuppered plans to exit  :palm:

Has provided plenty of giggles around the world and plenty of  :wtf: moments too. Tony Blair "No one could responsibly back a no deal ...." this from the tosser who with Bush started an irresponsible war based on rubbery non facts.  :palm:

As you have virtually zero trade deals in place and lack even basic passed legislation not already asking for an extension (minimum) is bordering on criminal negligence on a massive scale.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25398 on: February 16, 2019, 02:57:14 am »
Hmm, RR, whats that Range Rover or Rolls Royce? both nice cars  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25399 on: February 16, 2019, 04:06:23 am »

$40 $33 Amazon 1KW Computer PSU Tech Teardown: How Bad Can It Be?

Part 1 & Part 2 are up. I'm used up. I'll finish the story, but in a few days.  :-+

Short Version: It's Really Modular, it's now only $33, and from what I can see, it's built like the proverbial brick shithouse.

Bronze Efficiency claims are probably balderdash; but they've gotta be reasonably fair to sell to cryptominers. I really wish I still had a working Kill-A-Watt...

mnem
*Juicy*
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 04:42:51 am by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf