Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14909468 times)

dazz1, djadeski and 235 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #27600 on: March 20, 2019, 04:46:23 am »
Gift from a generous forum member, Tek knobs, 4 of them for my new 2465, and the color is still pristine compared to the exiting ones in the background.  :P

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #27601 on: March 20, 2019, 04:54:32 am »
Pressure LOP or even LOP only will only work in your case if an upstream checkvalve holds 100% otherwise you can potentially be in a situation of no flow but pressurised by the Tank and Static head of your water column. That said we used to use them on budget jobs or as belt and braces with a flow switch.

The best option (and most expensive) was at the time https://mackvalves.com/flowswitch-2/ with an integral timer set to about 15-30 seconds. They are a proper industrial control but given the then replacement stack cost at the time on a 4-120 of over $800 they were cheap insurance at $220 (from memory).

Quick check on evilbay for 'paddle flow switch' got a heap of hits for under $20 AUpesos so grab one and 555 timer up a delay and feed in into your 3 phase contactor.
Thanks Bean.
Upstream and suction check valves are 100% and immediately after OFF pump pressure is zero....checked with a gauge.
Really don't want it to run for more than a second or so which is plenty of time to see pressure if pump prime is held and all is OK.
I fill a spray tank from a Tee just before the outlet check valve so I want this dry run/low pressure switch not to have a fit when the pressure is just low.
A flow switch will negate any worry here but it's not a simple as inserting a pressure switch into an existing fitting.  ;)

I'll check the 'bay.  :)
Thanks again bud.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #27602 on: March 20, 2019, 05:33:43 am »
Pressure LOP or even LOP only will only work in your case if an upstream checkvalve holds 100% otherwise you can potentially be in a situation of no flow but pressurised by the Tank and Static head of your water column. That said we used to use them on budget jobs or as belt and braces with a flow switch.

The best option (and most expensive) was at the time https://mackvalves.com/flowswitch-2/ with an integral timer set to about 15-30 seconds. They are a proper industrial control but given the then replacement stack cost at the time on a 4-120 of over $800 they were cheap insurance at $220 (from memory).

Quick check on evilbay for 'paddle flow switch' got a heap of hits for under $20 AUpesos so grab one and 555 timer up a delay and feed in into your 3 phase contactor.
Thanks Bean.
Upstream and suction check valves are 100% and immediately after OFF pump pressure is zero....checked with a gauge.
Really don't want it to run for more than a second or so which is plenty of time to see pressure if pump prime is held and all is OK.
I fill a spray tank from a Tee just before the outlet check valve so I want this dry run/low pressure switch not to have a fit when the pressure is just low.
A flow switch will negate any worry here but it's not a simple as inserting a pressure switch into an existing fitting.  ;)

I'll check the 'bay.  :)
Thanks again bud.  :-+

Generally accepted run time with no damage for seals and stacks is fine to 15-30 seconds so just make sure you can crank your timer up a bit. 1 second will be a PITA I suspect. With your tank fill LOP switches are out unless you like holding levers  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27603 on: March 20, 2019, 05:48:53 am »
Yeah OK, for $20 NZD this is looking not too bad:

Now to build the timer.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27604 on: March 20, 2019, 06:02:10 am »
Thats the ones. Generally trim the paddle down a bit in width too. Leave it full depth in a T-piece and then trim to just wide enough to move it or it will act like an orifice plate and drop your flow (gate valve style).
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27605 on: March 20, 2019, 06:11:16 am »
Thats the ones. Generally trim the paddle down a bit in width too. Leave it full depth in a T-piece and then trim to just wide enough to move it or it will act like an orifice plate and drop your flow (gate valve style).
Remember we want that.  ;)

Not done anything to reduce flow rates yet other than run the pump for only an hour or so but that's the easy bit as I've been going the 500m to the pump each time to check prime is held before firing it up when with some flow detection when I could be sitting at home drinking coffee and using the RF ON/OFF remote.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27606 on: March 20, 2019, 06:18:17 am »
Depending on the pivot of the CheapCheerfulChinese if you don't trim it you will wear the brass surfaces due to excess load, keep it narrow. Gate valve needs to be before your tap off point to your spray tank outlet don't forget or you will be overloading your motor again.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27607 on: March 20, 2019, 06:28:53 am »
Depending on the pivot of the CheapCheerfulChinese if you don't trim it you will wear the brass surfaces due to excess load, keep it narrow. Gate valve needs to be before your tap off point to your spray tank outlet don't forget or you will be overloading your motor again.
Got that thanks.

Now the weather is getting a bit iffy some time inside on the lathe is overdue where I'll spin up some baffles for flow restrictors however filling the 1000 litre tank took just 8 minutes with the old pump and this one with some 10-20% more flow with zero head shouldn't have an issue for such a short run.
Got a tank of gorse spray to put on soon so we'll see what this new one can manage unstrangled.  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27608 on: March 20, 2019, 07:42:19 am »

Do you do an ESR test on the smaller value ones to decide whether they're suspect, or just visual inspection and the old "touch your iron to the PCB under/around the cap & smell for burning electrolyte" trick?

mnem
*Learning mode*

Just visual and is it easy to get to. Because I'm NOT pulling boards to do these replacements. Strictly from the top side which can be done on these double sided boards.

That's really good to know because I opened the sucker up and thought, there is no freakin' way i can get these boards out and then get 'em back in.  Will go your route, leave the boards in the box, replace the big ones, inspect the small ones.  Thanks.
What if the small ones blow at a later date?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27609 on: March 20, 2019, 09:02:41 am »
I present the Quantum Flux Resistor Rated at 1.21 daW ;D

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry, InductorbackEMF

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #27610 on: March 20, 2019, 10:00:25 am »
@b-f   Looks a nice DC load  :-+
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27611 on: March 20, 2019, 10:11:47 am »
That too  ;) I already have a cheapy 150W Electronic load. Paralleled 0.48 \$\Omega\$ 14.7A @ 7V 125W or Series/Paralleled 2.5  \$\Omega\$ 7A @ 17.5V for 104W.

I built it for a lower care decade than my 0.02% USSR Decade Box.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #27612 on: March 20, 2019, 10:15:04 am »

*Passes the Stick of Enlightenment on to beanflying*

"Use it wisely, my son. Use it often and without hesitation; wherever it is most needed."

Hmmm. Apparently you don't need to explicitly copyright a media work in order to be able to extract royalties. I'm going to be rich at this rate :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27613 on: March 20, 2019, 11:28:38 am »
For those in search of ancient counters: yet unbidden HP5300A and HP5304A on Ebay.de!

I searched for them, but all that comes up are 5300A+5302A combos for preposterous 130+ €!
No way I will pay that for a 50 MHz counter with a mere 6 digits, even if those are dotted LED.

Thank you anyway. I tend to miss the best bits all too often.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27614 on: March 20, 2019, 11:31:27 am »
Can ya make it glow ?  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #27615 on: March 20, 2019, 11:32:46 am »
Maybe test it out roasting coffee beans?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27616 on: March 20, 2019, 12:00:49 pm »
Need more power for Beans  ;) And yes it will glow under high load, LED high flow fans coming to compete with the Disco Green Fans on my Electronic Load  ;D

No Fans, No Heatsink paste, time to break out 60A supply  >:D 51C on the body of the 4 \$\Omega\$ in series/parallel so I think it will cope will plenty more than spec with fans under it if needed.

On the numbers should be 2.5  \$\Omega\$ measured 2.498  \$\Omega\$ I can live with that  :-+

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:17:51 pm by beanflying »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #27617 on: March 20, 2019, 12:17:46 pm »
Yeah OK, for $20 NZD this is looking not too bad:      Now to build the timer. :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183425524033

Hardly even worth your time, buddy. These have been around for years, and cost ~US$1.50-2.00. Will probably fit inside the box for your paddle valve.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/121945988830

If you wanna spend a little more (~US$5),these have a LED display.

mnem
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:21:42 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27618 on: March 20, 2019, 12:41:54 pm »
Waiting for my Tek 2225 to turn up. Apparently focus is shot but the focus pot changes the shape of the beam. Place your bets:

1. It's going to just be the focus chain resistors that need replacing.
2. It's going to devolve into a money sink and sit in the cupboard for 6 months awaiting an organ donor like the other scopes in there  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #27619 on: March 20, 2019, 12:42:15 pm »

Do you do an ESR test on the smaller value ones to decide whether they're suspect, or just visual inspection and the old "touch your iron to the PCB under/around the cap & smell for burning electrolyte" trick?

mnem
*Learning mode*

Just visual and is it easy to get to. Because I'm NOT pulling boards to do these replacements. Strictly from the top side which can be done on these double sided boards.

That's really good to know because I opened the sucker up and thought, there is no freakin' way i can get these boards out and then get 'em back in.  Will go your route, leave the boards in the box, replace the big ones, inspect the small ones.  Thanks.

I'll take that chance and deal with it at that time if it happens.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #27620 on: March 20, 2019, 12:44:57 pm »
Waiting for my Tek 2225 to turn up. Apparently focus is shot but the focus pot changes the shape of the beam. Place your bets:

2. It's going to devolve into a money sink and sit in the cupboard for 6 months awaiting an organ donor like the other scopes in there  :-DD

It should be the former but with your luck the latter.  :-DD My B&K 2120 scope pulled the same stunt twice until I replaced ALL the focus divider resistors.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27621 on: March 20, 2019, 12:47:18 pm »

mnem
*Learning mode*

Then you make a face like this and open all the doors to let the stink out. :P

I'm with med on this one; pulling the boards to do every one is like begging Murphy to bitch-slap me insensible. I've learned the hard way that even as careful as I can be, I'm still klutzy enough that there's a significant chance I'll do more damage than good if I go rooting around in something this complex & delicate when it's still working properly. It's a balancing act; you balance the odds of doing good against the odds of doing damage, then try to follow the Hippocratic Doctrine: First: Do no harm.

mnem
 :horse:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27622 on: March 20, 2019, 12:49:54 pm »

It should be the former but with your luck the latter.  :-DD My B&K 2120 scope pulled the same stunt twice until I replaced ALL the focus divider resistors.

Yeah I'm siding with 2 as well.

Possibly option 3:

3. The seller packed it really badly and it gets smashed by my UPS driver who turns into the incredible hulk the moment he gets into the back of his van.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27623 on: March 20, 2019, 12:57:48 pm »

Okaaaaaaayyyy... That is pretty much the EXACT OPPOSITE of what I thought you were going to do; I was expecting the heat sink stack to be on the INSIDE of that casting, which was to be used as a faceplate for a shelf-standing unit.

mnem

That's what I get for thinking.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:59:39 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27624 on: March 20, 2019, 01:08:33 pm »

*Passes the Stick of Enlightenment on to beanflying*

"Use it wisely, my son. Use it often and without hesitation; wherever it is most needed."
Hmmm. Apparently you don't need to explicitly copyright a media work in order to be able to extract royalties. I'm going to be rich at this rate :)

*Arrrou?!?* I know where I snurched this pic from... was that YOUR auction all those years ago?

As for it being the "Stick of Wisdom" or "Stick of Enlightenment"... to my knowledge, that was a term coined years decades ago inside HP; I think Rick Jones was one of the originators thereof...?

mnem
*puttin' on muh NOMEX jammies, just in case*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf