Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14923328 times)

Jambalaya and 238 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #27825 on: March 22, 2019, 08:43:03 pm »
Rocker style switch was post 92 best I can tell.  Last night, I set the mechanical zero on the meters, then adjusted the output voltage zero and metering circuits.  To adjust the volt and current metering, need to adjust the current first then voltage (big metal trim pots on the main boards).  The accuracy of the analog meters is remarkable.  Here is a thread I found very useful with a good schematic stitched together;
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-6227b-dual-dc-power-supply-ripple-in-master-channel/
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 08:49:35 pm by kj7e »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Cubdriver

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #27826 on: March 22, 2019, 09:08:13 pm »

...might be one of the best channels on youtube.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #27827 on: March 22, 2019, 09:18:33 pm »
"just an old transmission test set"

as a former telephone bum, the freqq is shocked, appalled , and yes...….a little hurt by your harsh uncaring comment.

you can take my tims when you pry them from my cold dead hands.

D'oh! Sorry, nixiefreqq. This was the first time I saw anyone speak up about them. Having seen them languishing, unloved, not only on eBay, but on Craigslist and at local equipment liquidations, I really had the impression that no one cared.

Then again, I'm sure there are many who think we're all just collecting old junk, regardless of device. >:D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M, nixiefreqq

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #27828 on: March 22, 2019, 09:33:56 pm »
Well, I now have two HP 6722B power supplies in unknown operational condition (one allegedly powers up at least), along with a 6299A 0-100V jobbie listed as 'for parts' incoming from the 'bay.  Made offers on all three, and all were accepted.  :o

More for the repair stack.

-Pat
If you need caps, I can point you in the right direction.  Found out mine was made after 1991, and the 6227B listed for $2700 in the 93' catalog.
Even scarier... given approx 75% inflation over the last 25 years, that's more like $4725 now. To put it in perspective, that money will buy:

almost 3 of these: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/b-k-precision/9132B/BK9132B-ND/5271422

5 1/2 of these: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/b-k-precision/1673/BK1673-ND/2499532

Or 20 of these: https://www.banggood.com/CPS-6017-0-60V-0-17A-220V-1000W-High-Power-Digital-Adjustable-DC-Power-Supply-p-1066728.html

Or even 86 of these: https://www.banggood.com/GOPHERT-CPS-3205-0-32V-0-5A-Portable-Adjustable-DC-Power-Supply-110V220V-p-934530.html

:o

mnem
If only cars followed that metric...

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 09:42:13 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27829 on: March 22, 2019, 09:43:33 pm »
I've had no issues with Ebay so far. The stuff has been as advertised, packaged well, and for the most part delivered when promised. And any correspondence with a buyer pleasant and courteous. No scammers or dirtbags. Not even counting some of the screaming good deals I've gotten. But I suppose one for these days my good fortune is going to run out.   

I've had mostly good experiences on eBay, but some bad ones, too. Fortunately, the ratio has stayed mostly good.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27830 on: March 22, 2019, 09:54:35 pm »
Well, I now have two HP 6722B power supplies in unknown operational condition (one allegedly powers up at least), along with a 6299A 0-100V jobbie listed as 'for parts' incoming from the 'bay.  Made offers on all three, and all were accepted.  :o

More for the repair stack.

Wowzers! Glad I'm not the only one who gets a little carried away with power supplies. I still don't know why it happens.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27831 on: March 22, 2019, 10:33:32 pm »

Storage scopes were available well before the 24xx series. I used one in the 70s, and they weren't a new concept then.

Of course they were a pain to use, but it took a surprisingly long time for analogue storage scopes to be completely supplanted by digitising storage scopes.
Let me guess - Nicolet?

Not especially; I was aware of but never touched Nicolet. ISTR they didn't have reputation for allowing you to do your job.

But all analogue storage scopes[1] were a pain in the backside; if your application could tolerate the slow digitisation rates, digitising scopes had an obvious and immediate attraction.

[1] I used Tek 7000 series in the late 70s, and played with a working Tek 464 before selling it at a hamfest for much more than I paid for it.
Analogue storage: been there, done that. I will forever link this technology to the presence of 'haversacks' and oscilloscope cameras. Ewww. I have been playing aroung with a SC503 for my TM500 system. It took some effort to convince me that it is fully functional, as the storage behaviour is, to say it nicely, a tad erratic.
And the early digital ones, especially the 468 were kludges too. Or the Hameg which was my first own DSO - whose only way of output was via an analogue plotter.
But that might be me, having scopes like the 2430/2440 as formative experience. A 2430A is still my first backup and I can operate it under impaired and aggravated conditions, which does not hold true for my TDS anytime.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27832 on: March 22, 2019, 10:38:01 pm »
Found out mine was made after 1991, and the 6227B listed for $2700 in the 93' catalog.

Wow, that's $4,723.15 today.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27833 on: March 22, 2019, 10:55:22 pm »
Been reading through the 8664 sig gen operator manual, and this thing has a number of advanced functions and interesting presets available through the special codes. Among them are aerospace-oriented presets like VOR beacon and ILS signals, both localizer and glideslope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27834 on: March 22, 2019, 11:05:27 pm »
That's cool. Never knew about those codes.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27835 on: March 22, 2019, 11:21:05 pm »

Yeah, they are in the back of the manual. Took a bit to find them. I'm trying to work out if I can edit the parameters. The localizer preset, for instance, defaults to 0 DDM (i.e. the "aircraft" is on course and has perfectly intercepted the localizer signal). The 8664 internal audio generator has two channels that are mixed to create complex modulations. Just have to figure out how to change them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Difference_in_the_Depth_of_Modulation

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27836 on: March 22, 2019, 11:23:20 pm »
A body could get into a lot of trouble widda toy like dat...  >:D

mnem
 :bullshit:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 11:26:26 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #27837 on: March 22, 2019, 11:30:16 pm »
Has anyone heard from Inverted18650 lately? Last week him and I were discussing meeting up either today (Friday) or tomorrow in PA. I sent him a PM this past Tuesday asking if this was still our plan. No response. And I haven't seen him on here either. I'm getting concerned that something has happen. I wish we had gotten to the point of exchanging cell numbers but we hadn't.

I hope he's OK.  :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27838 on: March 22, 2019, 11:30:55 pm »
A body could get into a lot of trouble widda toy like dat...  >:D

mnem
 :bullshit:

>:D

Yes...yes... :D

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27839 on: March 22, 2019, 11:36:27 pm »

Yeah, they are in the back of the manual. Took a bit to find them.

Most people don't even read manuals. I do, but not prior to (intent to) purchase. Doing so is dangerous. :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #27840 on: March 22, 2019, 11:42:10 pm »
Has anyone heard from Inverted18650 lately? Last week him and I were discussing meeting up either today (Friday) or tomorrow in PA. I sent him a PM this past Tuesday asking if this was still our plan. No response. And I haven't seen him on here either. I'm getting concerned that something has happen. I wish we had gotten to the point of exchanging cell numbers but we hadn't.

Last online on the 20th but no I haven't heard from him via email either. Gone AWOL  :-//
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27841 on: March 22, 2019, 11:47:07 pm »

Most people don't even read manuals. I do, but not prior to (intent to) purchase. Doing so is dangerous. :-DD

So that's why I have had a rapid build up of Test Gear  ::) I read spec. sheets carefully first, then look for a manual and gloss over it to at least make sure there is a better chance of repair if needed, then do a search to see if it is good or bad in general then punch the evilbay button after limited self justification of NEED to the collection  ;D

There is no real consideration of budget or cost :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #27842 on: March 22, 2019, 11:50:57 pm »

Last online on the 20th but no I haven't heard from him via email either. Gone AWOL  :-//

That's right...I forgot you could check. Last on Tuesday, 3/19.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27843 on: March 23, 2019, 12:16:56 am »

I last talked with him on the 19th. He had some doctor appointments coming up, so probably taking care of that stuff.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27844 on: March 23, 2019, 12:23:44 am »
So that's why I have had a rapid build up of Test Gear  ::) I read spec. sheets carefully first, then look for a manual and gloss over it to at least make sure there is a better chance of repair if needed, then do a search to see if it is good or bad in general then punch the evilbay button after limited self justification of NEED to the collection  ;D

I've learned that lesson myself; I read manuals ONLY when I'm so broke I can't pay attention.  :P

They always result in a raging nerd-boner for SOME feature, whether I've EVER needed or wanted it for ANYTHING, that I simply MUST have. If I dare have ANY money whatsoever while in that state, the next thing I know there's half a dozen large parcels inbound and I AM so broke I can't pay attention. AGAIN.  :-DD

mnem
I know, I know... preaching to the choir.  >:D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27845 on: March 23, 2019, 12:25:47 am »
I know, I know... preaching to the choir.  >:D

That's OK. Even choir members like to listen to choral music at least some of the time. ;D

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27846 on: March 23, 2019, 12:36:55 am »
Ordered a replacement battery for my 8566A system. Turns out it's the identical battery to the HP35/45/55 etc series calculators, so the replacements sold for them are a drop in fix for the 8566A!

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #27847 on: March 23, 2019, 01:08:33 am »

I read the manuals to find more stuff to hunt down.  At least for the HP gear, simply look at the opening pages of the 'maintenance' section of the manual, and you should find a list of 'recommended' or (sometimes, even better) 'required' equipment to be used for calibration, troubleshooting and repair of your newly acquired piece of kit.  Determine what you may lack that is listed, and use this information to begin new evilBay quests for said missing instruments (each of which will ALSO have a service manual containing such a list, fodder for further searching, and so as the flea poem ends, "and so, ad infinitum").

(Or, if all that seems too much research, just get some old HP catalogs and start working your way through them, getting one of everything.)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27848 on: March 23, 2019, 01:14:22 am »
I'm in that very situation...if I want to sustain my newfound hobby of collecting HP spectrum analyzers, I really need to get the bits of equipment I'm missing for calibration and adjustment of said spectrum analyzers...TEA expands to fill your space!  :-DD  :palm:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27849 on: March 23, 2019, 01:14:56 am »

I read the manuals to find more stuff to hunt down.  At least for the HP gear, simply look at the opening pages of the 'maintenance' section of the manual, and you should find a list of 'recommended' or (sometimes, even better) 'required' equipment to be used for calibration, troubleshooting and repair of your newly acquired piece of kit.  Determine what you may lack that is listed, and use this information to begin new evilBay quests for said missing instruments (each of which will ALSO have a service manual containing such a list, fodder for further searching, and so as the flea poem ends, "and so, ad infinitum").

(Or, if all that seems too much research, just get some old HP catalogs and start working your way through them, getting one of everything.)

-Pat

There is only one Reason I have a 419A the HP manual for the 740B told me one was needed  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf