Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14904056 times)

K0ELB, tautech and 222 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #27900 on: March 24, 2019, 02:07:04 am »
   It's time -3D printing has arrived (almost) to the lab!

YESSS!  :-+

It has a dragon right on it... it HAS TO kick ass! };=)~~~<

Actually, I toyed with the idea of the Ender myself, even when I was shopping the Tornado. I need the 340mm x 400mm capacity for a few RC projects that are still in the cogitatin' stage. that, and the Tornado's 120V bed are what sold me... though I'm finding it is a mixed blessing with the mirror glass tiles.

Again... 8020/4020 build system FTW!!!  :-+

Oh, yeah... DON'T put the gawddamn filament holder on top of your frame like they show it.  :palm: Just amplifies any ghosting issues you may have.

mnem
*Filamental*

When I had the spools on top of the Ender I couldn't see any evidence of wobble on the fairly short rails. There is also the power supply hung loh (cousin of Wun) off one of the uprights which maybe helps damp any vibrations. My CR-10 has had top mount spools for most of it's life buy it is also cross braced s/steel allthread supports. With the extra width and height of the bigger printer it would be asking for issues like you sugguest.

One of my Enders has gone back to glass and while the magnetic bed is working on the other I won't change it as it is 'easy' it will go glass when dead too. The cheaper magnets are to limiting on Bed Temperatures if you want to run ABS and even PETG.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #27901 on: March 24, 2019, 02:08:48 am »
I've looked at many build videos and will be building it tomorrow. Also noticed that it has some factory improvements since some of the build videos - such as the control electronics enclosure has the fan on the bottom now. All else seems to be of high quality. Should be a fun road ahead!
X, have you seen Defpoms Ender videos ?
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDefpom/videos?reload=9

Found the Ender playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2z3V9RkHQE1CvQF2iDmPqMtYvrKE73v0
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 02:37:46 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27902 on: March 24, 2019, 02:09:15 am »

Thanks guys. I went to a friend of a friend's house and he had two of these and two Prusas going! He is making a full size C3PO exoskelaton for a person to fit into and needs parallel print processing.

I've looked at many build videos and will be building it tomorrow. Also noticed that it has some factory improvements since some of the build videos - such as the control electronics enclosure has the fan on the bottom now. All else seems to be of high quality. Should be a fun road ahead!

:-/O

That flip of the Electronics comes with the PRO version you have over the Standard version. The other improvements are the Meanwell PS and a 40x40 bed support axis over a 20x40.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #27903 on: March 24, 2019, 02:39:12 am »
When I had the spools on top of the Ender I couldn't see any evidence of wobble on the fairly short rails. There is also the power supply hung loh (cousin of Wun) off one of the uprights which maybe helps damp any vibrations. My CR-10 has had top mount spools for most of it's life buy it is also cross braced s/steel allthread supports. With the extra width and height of the bigger printer it would be asking for issues like you suggest.

One of my Enders has gone back to glass and while the magnetic bed is working on the other I won't change it as it is 'easy' it will go glass when dead too. The cheaper magnets are to limiting on Bed Temperatures if you want to run ABS and even PETG.

The bed on the Ender is steel? I have to admit... the fact of the Tornado bed being ceramic is something I kindof like from a rigidity & flatness POV.

I keep telling myself I need to make some triangulation supports, but I plan to do them from the back. I know it's theoretically stronger with them in front, but I have big arms & hands & I already feel cramped by the space when fiddling about on deck.

mnem
*tinker-ily*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27904 on: March 24, 2019, 03:04:33 am »
When I had the spools on top of the Ender I couldn't see any evidence of wobble on the fairly short rails. There is also the power supply hung loh (cousin of Wun) off one of the uprights which maybe helps damp any vibrations. My CR-10 has had top mount spools for most of it's life buy it is also cross braced s/steel allthread supports. With the extra width and height of the bigger printer it would be asking for issues like you suggest.

The bed on the Ender is steel? I have to admit... the fact of the Tornado bed being ceramic is something I kindof like from a rigidity & flatness POV.

I keep telling myself I need to make some triangulation supports, but I plan to do them from the back. I know it's theoretically stronger with them in front, but I have big arms & hands & I already feel cramped by the space when fiddling about on deck.

mnem
*tinker-ily*

Aluminium bed with a bonded 24V heater. The glass top is much easier to get properly flat for 0.1mm layer prints and I like the toughness of it.

Gratuitous pic of my CR-10 supports and light bars and my custom electronics enclosure (power supply mounted separately). The whole lot is going inside an cabinet partly for dust reasons but also to keep the whole print warmer and reduce warping. Spool wil be mounted inside the enclosure on one of the walls. It may also get heating and extraction added as a phase two.

Random 3D design and prints from yesterday and overnight. I gave my little shopvac a Mohawk and added some accessories to it instead of losing them in the shack. Used to be rough as guts modified plumbing fittings. All printed on the Ender Pro on the Magnetic bed.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #27905 on: March 24, 2019, 03:34:57 am »
(snip)
Here are some pictures of the insides instead, I do have an untested rectifier bulb to replace the later resistor diode MOD bodge underneath (the serial number is in the range of the last ones to have had a hollow-state rectifier);

That Dale power resistor has seen A LOT of current and looks mighty crispy.  :o I would check that circuit for a partial short or some other reason for the excessive current.

You've spotted part of the MOD bodge then, I think the later 738BR has the resistor (R73) bolted to the chassis for a start. It will get checked next time I work on it, it's listed as 100Ω 20W and drops the voltage same as the original tube rectifier would have done (clearly they didn't want to change the transformer).

David

OK, got it. IMHO that's a pretty piss poor conversion to sand state rectification. Since the tube socket is still there if that were mine I'd snip that crap out of there and reinstall the 5U4 tube. They are very common and you can get them cheeeep on Ebay.

Just one caution. If you go back to the 5U4 you have to be careful about the orientation of the chassis when powered up. For example...it can't be on it's side while troubleshooting with power on. The reason? The 5U4 must be kept vertical when on or you risk having the filament sag internally and short to the plate which will completely ruin your day.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 01:30:26 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27906 on: March 24, 2019, 04:39:39 am »
Quote from: mnementh

mnem
*tinker-ily*

Aluminium bed with a bonded 24V heater. The glass top is much easier to get properly flat for 0.1mm layer prints and I like the toughness of it.

Gratuitous pic of my CR-10 supports and light bars and my custom electronics enclosure (power supply mounted separately). The whole lot is going inside an cabinet partly for dust reasons but also to keep the whole print warmer and reduce warping. Spool wil be mounted inside the enclosure on one of the walls. It may also get heating and extraction added as a phase two.

Random 3D design and prints from yesterday and overnight. I gave my little shopvac a Mohawk and added some accessories to it instead of losing them in the shack. Used to be rough as guts modified plumbing fittings. All printed on the Ender Pro on the Magnetic bed.

Yeah, those braces would drive me batshit crazy. Imagine The Hulk trying to work in that space, and you get some idea.  :-DD

Currently printing up a couple of these; I acquired a much newer Sony BluRay for the LR, and it's a little bit thicker than my old one. These will go under the back feet of my DTS receiver to match the height so it can sit on top of the BluRay player. Old-school passive-cooled Pioneer from the "transition to DVD" period; too much heat from the top vents to have anything covering them.

I'll show y'all some pics of the finished application in the morning when they're done.  ;D

mnem
 :=\
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #27907 on: March 24, 2019, 05:52:57 am »
Interesting little surplus store find today, my first bit of "older" HP gear. A 431B power meter. It's missing all it's cords and cables and the back foot and the fuse is blown, but otherwise it's not beat up at all and should make a fun restoration project.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27908 on: March 24, 2019, 06:02:56 am »
and the PCB.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27909 on: March 24, 2019, 07:03:34 am »
Interesting little surplus store find today, my first bit of "older" HP gear. A 431B power meter. It's missing all it's cords and cables and the back foot and the fuse is blown, but otherwise it's not beat up at all and should make a fun restoration project.

They are a nice little box format to play with.

I was doing some final bits on my 419A today and finding a little more space after my Battery upgrade and upsize caused a space/depth issue with the Level Potentiometer and the rear chassis that I will need to keep to go with my the Chart Recorder I need ;D

The Pot Body is electrically isolated from the chassis by two washers a fat one inside and the other skinnier one outside.

Version 1 Flip the washer design around and use a 0.4mm washer inside to save depth - FAIL still 1/2 a hole to deep.

Version 2 Use the same hole and modify the design to take a smaller format Pot. WINNER maybe 1mm to spare to clear the battery packs with 3mm saved.

3D printing for the win again.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27910 on: March 24, 2019, 12:17:13 pm »
Spent a couple of hours on the Tek 2225 this morning. Determined to finish something off for once. Went through all the calibration steps. Channel 2 was slightly out, Channel 1 was good. Timebase was all over the place. However it was all pretty straightforward to sort and is all in perfect cal now. DG1022Z makes a wonderful cal source for this sort of stuff. This was followed by a cosmetic makeover with only a stiff paint brush, waitrose essentials squirty spray and some kitchen roll. You don't need anything else to clean stuff up. There's a tiny bit of sticker residue on the front panel which was being difficult but I'll work that off with my finger as and when I use it over a couple of weeks.

Outcome, which is not bad for a 32 year old:

One project complete at last!  :-DD This one's a keeper!

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27911 on: March 24, 2019, 01:01:07 pm »
Spent a couple of hours on the Tek 2225 this morning. Determined to finish something off for once. Went through all the calibration steps. Channel 2 was slightly out, Channel 1 was good. Timebase was all over the place. However it was all pretty straightforward to sort and is all in perfect cal now. DG1022Z makes a wonderful cal source for this sort of stuff. [..]

Congrats! This 2225 looks nearly new now!   :-+

Did you reference your DG1022Z to a reliably accurate 10MHz-source..?    >:D    :popcorn:
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27912 on: March 24, 2019, 01:03:15 pm »
Gah no but barely matters with such a low tolerance device.

In the market for a GPSDO actually. The DG1022Z does agree with my OCXO equipment counters so all three are wrong or all three are right. Need the GPSDO to work out which of the two it is  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #27913 on: March 24, 2019, 01:13:01 pm »
Spent a couple of hours on the Tek 2225 this morning. Determined to finish something off for once. Went through all the calibration steps. Channel 2 was slightly out, Channel 1 was good. Timebase was all over the place. However it was all pretty straightforward to sort and is all in perfect cal now. DG1022Z makes a wonderful cal source for this sort of stuff. This was followed by a cosmetic makeover with only a stiff paint brush, waitrose essentials squirty spray and some kitchen roll. You don't need anything else to clean stuff up. There's a tiny bit of sticker residue on the front panel which was being difficult but I'll work that off with my finger as and when I use it over a couple of weeks.

Outcome, which is not bad for a 32 year old:

One project complete at last!  :-DD This one's a keeper!

Looks good! My Tek's approve.  :-+  And......it's about freakin time!  >:D :-DD

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27914 on: March 24, 2019, 01:37:18 pm »
Speaking of Tek, this short documentary about their CRT production process is fascinating. Amazing technology and bespoke equipment for the production line.

https://youtu.be/jHGAnJjnNY0

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #27915 on: March 24, 2019, 01:42:34 pm »
When Tektronix first started they sourced their CRT's from RCA. Tek quickly discovered that RCA was supplying them junk so that's what initially got them into making their own.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27916 on: March 24, 2019, 01:47:12 pm »

Outcome, which is not bad for a 32 year old:      One project complete at last!  :-DD This one's a keeper!
Looks good! My Tek's approve.  :-+  And......it's about freakin time!  >:D :-DD

*Puts on best The Count voice*

"Wahhn! Wahhn woorkeeng ahhnahhlohhg sco-o-ope! Ahh-Ah-ah!!!"   :-DD

Welcome home, bd! ;)

mnem
"Wow... you counted that high without using your fingers... well done!"  >:D

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #27917 on: March 24, 2019, 01:55:29 pm »
Gah no but barely matters with such a low tolerance device.

In the market for a GPSDO actually. The DG1022Z does agree with my OCXO equipment counters so all three are wrong or all three are right. Need the GPSDO to work out which of the two it is  :-DD

For your sanity's sake, you might decide to define that the GPDSO is inaccurate ;}
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27918 on: March 24, 2019, 01:56:21 pm »
When did sanity come into this?  :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27919 on: March 24, 2019, 02:20:07 pm »
Spent a couple of hours on the Tek 2225 this morning. Determined to finish something off for once.

I had the same mentality. My first Tek1502 TDR's PSU was half working: the device ffunctioned but the mains wasn't charging the battery. I'd had a brief look before, but not found the cause, and then Family intervened.

The PSU is mostly discrete and seriously strange...

The switching PSU half is a fairly standard switcher with an "extra" section that ensure switching half doesn't turn on if either the NiCd voltage is too high (i.e. cells missing) or too low (discharged). That worked.

The mains charger is a 50Hz switcher which always pumps a constant mean current into the NiCd cells, but also supplies an extra 150% current if the TDR is switched on. The voltage is defined by the NiCd cells (what else?). It is based on an advanced opamp (a 741!), a programmable unijunction, an SCR, a discrete current mirror, and quite a few resistors, small capacitors and zeners. Suffice it to say that the internal waveforms are "interesting" and undocumented.

I chased my tail for a while: was it the 741, the tant beads? No. Move onto the PUJT what the hell should the voltages around that be doing? Or the SCR (easier to understand!)? There was one saving grace: I haven't yet flogged my other 1502, so I could compare waveforms.

It turned out to, of all things, be the discrete current mirror: the 2N3406 transistors had decided to become 2NNorwegianBlue transistors. Once the 2N3406s had been whipped out and replaced with BC557s from the junk box store cupboard, it sprang back into life.

Once I've made a proper 9 cell NiCd battery pack, that ought to be job done. (until the next time)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27920 on: March 24, 2019, 02:22:28 pm »

You've got to keep up the pretence. Mind you, currently we look sane when compared against the rest of the population :(

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27921 on: March 24, 2019, 02:29:39 pm »
When Tektronix first started they sourced their CRT's from RCA. Tek quickly discovered that RCA was supplying them junk so that's what initially got them into making their own.

Well... not so much "supplying junk" as not having the right kind of expertise. RCA knew how to make EM deflection CRTs that were reliable and cost-effective; Tek needed electrostatic deflection CRTs that were very fast and with a level of precision an order of magnitude tighter tolerance than RCA could do. Tek's rejection rate on some of their own production was as high as 60%; clearly you can't do that working with a channel partner.  :scared:

When Tek started needing to R&D custom phosphors for their ever-faster scopes, it didn't take long before they were so far along the bleeding edge that they were designing stuff nobody else knew how to do, then having to develop mass-production techniques for those bleeding-edge technologies. This soon evolved into custom semiconductors and weird voodoo shit like the .5GHz horse-shoe oscillator above.  :o

Their production model proved much more realistic than Fairchild's parallel production small-lot model; if it weren't for the massive combined-die Si manufacturing techniques Tek and TI pioneered back then just to get usable yield reasonable for mass-production, our computer processor manufacturing would be at least 2 decades behind its current state.  We'd still be "Oooh!"-ing and "Ahhh!"-ing over Pentium4-level tech, and Intel's business model of dole out a few hundred MHz every 6 months and "MAKE 'EM PAY!!!" would still be the norm.  :palm:

mnem
OTOH, maybe CYRIX would still be alive. ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 02:44:47 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27922 on: March 24, 2019, 02:42:53 pm »
You've got to keep up the pretence. Mind you, currently we look sane when compared against the rest of the population :(

“Appearances can be deceiving. Truth is, they nearly always are." “To think truth regardless of appearances is laborious and requires the expenditure of more power than any other work a person has to perform.” ~Burg/Wattles

mnem
"Fake it 'til you make it." ~Rev James Galloway-Edgar

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27923 on: March 24, 2019, 02:44:05 pm »

This soon evolved into custom semiconductors and weird voodoo shit like the .5GHz horse-shoe oscillator above.  :o

The horseshoe is L70 and part of a 500MHz tuned amplifier, thumped by a 100MHz signal via the L60/L61/L62 coupled inductors. The loop behind is L69, and together L69 and L70 form a transformer.

Easy :)

Other parts of that device use 3 NPN transistors and a few passives to divide pulse trains by 2 and 5.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27924 on: March 24, 2019, 02:49:30 pm »
Dude... you can't deny that there is real black magic going on there. Given the time this was designed and mass-produced, it was flux-capacitor tech. And there is a fair bit of magnetron DNA in that assembly as well.

Try not to be so jaded; Yeah, sure we live in an age where we have multicore multi-GHz processors in our pocket... but jeez.  :palm:

mnem
"To the wonder!!!"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf