Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14557031 times)

xrunner, TERRA Operative, Jambalaya and 30 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #29000 on: April 10, 2019, 02:31:36 am »
   15MHz AWG/Counter @ $99 up to 60MHz @ $139: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JW8JHZ/ref=biss_dp_sa1

Holy Bleeping BleepCrackers! If you need just the basics... Counter AND dual output DDS/AWG!!!   :clap:Plus a 6% off coupon!!!

mnem
 :o

Is a JDS6600 and can be had for a lot less. The box is full of air  ::) eBay auction: #183044531625

Thanks for the heads-up. I feel like a bit of a doof for not researching deeper, but then this listing is a lot cheaper than most on this particular model; what I saw on fleaBay looked like similar prices until I looked again.

Everything nowadays "box full of air" is the norm... if you can't shrink an item and still have it serve as needed, you can at least save on the weight of your shipping container. I wonder where on GitHub the original open-source project is that they snurched for this...

mnem
 :=\
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #29001 on: April 10, 2019, 02:41:43 am »

Thanks for the heads-up. I feel like a bit of a doof for not researching deeper, but then this listing is a lot cheaper than most on this particular model; what I saw on fleaBay looked like similar prices until I looked again.

Everything nowadays "box full of air" is the norm... if you can't shrink an item and still have it serve as needed, you can at least save on the weight of your shipping container. I wonder where on GitHub the original open-source project is that they snurched for this...

mnem

The History of JDS/Feeltech is fairly muddy but one copied the other to a degree is clear based on the layout and close clone look of both. I haven't seen any evidence that either was pinched from an open source or other project. :-//
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29002 on: April 10, 2019, 02:50:02 am »
Quote from: TechRepublic
Windows XP dies final death as Embedded POSReady 2009 reaches end of life.

"Extended support for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009—the last supported version of Windows based on Windows XP—ended on April 9, 2019, marking the final end of the Windows NT 5.1 product line after 17 years, 7 months, and 16 days. Counting this edition, Windows XP is the longest-lived version of Windows ever—a record that is unlikely to be beaten."

mnem
"Sweet Zombie Jeezus!"
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 03:00:03 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29003 on: April 10, 2019, 02:56:46 am »
Thanks! Now to look round for manuals...
Methinks that you need to take a wire brush to those jacks.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29004 on: April 10, 2019, 02:59:34 am »

mnem
The History of JDS/Feeltech is fairly muddy but one copied the other to a degree is clear based on the layout and close clone look of both. I haven't seen any evidence that either was pinched from an open source or other project. :-//

I find that notion shocking, considering it appears that 95% of the thing is an Arduino (or Pi, or STMDuino) with the 2.4" OLED touchscreen shield installed.  :-DD

Well, good on them then. I hadn't noticed the core weakness of the thing; being that only the Sine output goes to 60MHz. From what I see looking at specs it appears AWG, Saw, Square, etc only go 15MHz. I think maybe the FY6800 is worth the extra $40 to get 25MHz and internal SMPS.

mnem
*Knocks self unconscious with clock mallet*

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #29005 on: April 10, 2019, 03:12:22 am »
I haven't seen any docs for those. Old stuff is hard to find. Old stuff built for government, scientific, or other niche markets is even harder.

Yeah, no joy so far.

Thanks! Now to look round for manuals...
Methinks that you need to take a wire brush to those jacks.

I will!

So all that was wrong with it (other than needing calibration) was sticking keys. After cleaning those up, the error condition went away and it works! 10 V from my bench supply.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, nixiefreqq

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #29006 on: April 10, 2019, 03:20:25 am »

I find that notion shocking, considering it appears that 95% of the thing is an Arduino (or Pi, or STMDuino) with the 2.4" OLED touchscreen shield installed.  :-DD

Well, good on them then. I hadn't noticed the core weakness of the thing; being that only the Sine output goes to 60MHz. From what I see looking at specs it appears AWG, Saw, Square, etc only go 15MHz. I think maybe the FY6800 is worth the extra $40 to get 25MHz and internal SMPS.

My recollection is similar to beanflying's. I'm sure the relevant posts are around the forum somewhere as it's most likely I read about it here many moons ago. I also vaguely recall talk of one of the engineers having defected or something to that effect and thus was born the competing product. Then came the claims that the copy was inferior because of this and that poor design decisions, etc.

Anyway, the FY6800 is definitely better than the FY6600. Beware that there are some firmware versions (or maybe it was just one version) of the FY6600 that bricked units without warning. Check the FY6600 thread for details on that and so much more.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 03:31:20 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29007 on: April 10, 2019, 03:56:21 am »
After letting things warm up, it's doing better:

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29008 on: April 10, 2019, 04:09:35 am »
Very nice! :-DMM Looks great inside, too.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29009 on: April 10, 2019, 04:27:39 am »
I'm very happy with it. I saw the Nixie tubes and just couldn't pass up the opportunity to add some nixies to my collection.  :-DD

I was really looking at HP DC supplies when I found the voltmeter...the supplies were a little more beat up than I want sadly.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29010 on: April 10, 2019, 05:21:08 am »
Back another generation from the Nixie ;) Seems to need a manual trigger to do a frequency measurement/count  :-// More playing later Tek Cart assembling time  8)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29011 on: April 10, 2019, 05:29:48 am »
Cool, bean, it's alive!

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #29012 on: April 10, 2019, 06:07:09 am »
I'm very happy with it. I saw the Nixie tubes and just couldn't pass up the opportunity to add some nixies to my collection.  :-DD

I was really looking at HP DC supplies when I found the voltmeter...the supplies were a little more beat up than I want sadly.

LOL - now you're in trouble.  One hit of the orange stuff is usually all it takes...   >:D >:D >:D

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29013 on: April 10, 2019, 06:35:57 am »
The orange stuff, the red stuff, the green stuff, the ... ooh, shiny! :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29014 on: April 10, 2019, 06:47:48 am »
2 from 2 touch wood  :) The 453 has a very grubby face so the lid has been off for a while and the foam in the lid has broken down. Graticule illumination needs a tweak and seems like it needs a litre or two of deoxit. Interesting for a 50MHz scope the signal falls of a lot above 20 based on a quick test. Last thing is the Manual is EPIC  8)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29015 on: April 10, 2019, 07:11:13 am »
My favorite part of this series of scopes is the delay time multiplier knob.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #29016 on: April 10, 2019, 07:51:27 am »
Nice old classic Bean.  :)
Don't forget the renovation tips in this thread  ;)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/vintageclassic-renovation-techniques/

Oh and, do they have a timebase multiplier ?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 07:52:58 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29017 on: April 10, 2019, 08:02:53 am »

Yep x10 timebase multiplier. Wonder if I wire up my 121GW in circuit with delay and multipliers what will happen if I get it to 88 MPH  ;D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29018 on: April 10, 2019, 08:04:49 am »
Now we're talking. 453 = proper scope  :-+

Also you're right about the manual. It's one of the best out there.

Want one again now!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29019 on: April 10, 2019, 08:50:33 am »
Back end of the Racal Counter and what was in the attached baggy. Complete set of unused presumably unobtainium external plugs and spare fuses after 50+ years :o Seems it was maybe put into service in 1966 and was number 5 of 666 units? The rest of the label is unreadable. Found the manual on ko4bb http://eww.ko4bb.com/manuals/121.219.19.120/Racal_SA.535_Universal_Counter_Timer_OM139.8.65.500_Issue_3.pdf

Maybe not worth it's own thread but I will drop the lid and put a few internal photos here.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29020 on: April 10, 2019, 09:00:06 am »
Is that one of those things with 10 light bulbs in it stacked vertically for each digit?

Always wanted to see inside one :D

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29021 on: April 10, 2019, 09:36:55 am »
Is that one of those things with 10 light bulbs in it stacked vertically for each digit?

Always wanted to see inside one :D

Yep vertical rows of bulbs. Will be interesting to see the PCB and wiring layout

Random Evilbay seller of interest. Making custom extender boards among other listed goodies https://www.ebay.com/sch/tmhkseller/m.html?item=143193339865&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #29022 on: April 10, 2019, 09:59:25 am »

Yep x10 timebase multiplier. Wonder if I wire up my 121GW in circuit with delay and multipliers what will happen if I get it to 88 MPH  ;D

If it's on a public road in Australia - Loss of licence on the spot!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #29023 on: April 10, 2019, 11:58:30 am »
Nearly into the Top 10 Topics (by Views) but languishing near the bottom of most thanked threads.  :-//

Who hasn't thanked the OP bitseeker ?   :rant:  Get onto it !  :horse:
Well done guys and gals, we're into the top 10 topics by views and soon to be #9 but shot up in the most thanked to #4.  :clap:

Remember that fella bitseeker that started all this madness and check you've given him the big tick in the opening post.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29024 on: April 10, 2019, 12:29:07 pm »
2 from 2 touch wood  :) The 453 has a very grubby face so the lid has been off for a while and the foam in the lid has broken down. Graticule illumination needs a tweak and seems like it needs a litre or two of deoxit. Interesting for a 50MHz scope the signal falls of a lot above 20 based on a quick test. Last thing is the Manual is EPIC  8)

Someone has been bitten by the Tek bug and it will never let go. Welcome to my addiction!  :-+ :-+

That rabbit hole has NO bottom.  :D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf