Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14911174 times)

BILLPOD, TERRA Operative, factory, wkb, bergenhut, K0ELB, Robert763 and 210 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #31325 on: May 14, 2019, 04:33:33 pm »
Non Productive Afternoon  :palm:

So many interesting data type channels to look at more closely around 433 >:D

Haha, TEAstraction, indeed. Looking forward to hearing about what you find (if you haven't already posted about it and I'm about to find it in the subsequent two pages).
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #31326 on: May 14, 2019, 04:44:18 pm »
Well, at around $4 a probe, if you get a bad one, it's not a big loss. ;D
Exactly, sort of disposable, and 4 bucks is quite expensive, I could be wrong, remembered it was sort of 2 bucks if bought in bigger quantity, not many, I bought 5 or 6 pairs, not sure, it was while ago.

The Jinhao-branded ones appear to be still $4-6 China-direct, and $6-10 from US vendors. These are similar to the prices when I bought mine from ebayer scopewa.

The P6200s seem to be right around $12-14 China-direct, and $16-18 from US vendors. Though this US vendor is offering a slightly different version called a P2200 for $14. eBay auction: #161707282241 Tempted to order one just to see what shows up.

[EDIT]
Found a vendor selling the P2200 for $9 from Taiwan. We'll see what shows up in a month; hope it's not a e-cig.   eBay auction: #264296104702  :-DD
[/EDIT]

mnem
*Probing-ily*
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 05:16:53 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31327 on: May 14, 2019, 04:45:00 pm »
Today, eBay messaged me with 10% eBay Bucks until midnight on the 15th. Why do they have to do that after I buy a spectrum analyzer? :palm: :-DD

(I wouldn't be surprised if these offers are triggered by prior purchases.)

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31328 on: May 14, 2019, 05:36:10 pm »
The other day I declared the 7A24 vertical plug-in as “unfixable” due to it's many contact issues with both channel 1 and 2 attenuator switch decks. Well stubborn me refused to give up. Either fix it or junk it, those were the alternatives. Or a 3rd alternative, perform a radical experiment and see if it works. Got nothing to lose. Well, the experiment worked. And after a minor detour with the +15V short here are some results. Rock steady with a 10MHz square wave.

I will be outlining in detail the method I used to restore the attenuator switch decks in a separate thread. And even though this is a 50 ohm deck it will also apply to the 1MEG decks. And it applies to all 7000 series plug-ins as well as scopes such as the 465/475/485 which use the same attenuator assembly. And I assume the 5000 series plug-ins use the same decks too.   

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31329 on: May 14, 2019, 06:19:23 pm »
Gah busy day today. Literally everything on fire. Hardly had two minutes to catch up with this thread so I’m going to be lazy and not bother. Apologies if I miss a reply.

Nice job on that plugin med. interested to read the outcome as my 465 is still f**ked.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #31330 on: May 14, 2019, 06:25:35 pm »
Busy day here. Canada Post showed up. Crusty old Heath OL-1 Scope and Heath V-7A VTVM. Plus a bonus....a CT-1 probe!
Tek CT-1 ?
Oh yummy.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31331 on: May 14, 2019, 07:42:37 pm »
Well, at around $4 a probe, if you get a bad one, it's not a big loss. ;D
Exactly, sort of disposable, and 4 bucks is quite expensive, I could be wrong, remembered it was sort of 2 bucks if bought in bigger quantity, not many, I bought 5 or 6 pairs, not sure, it was while ago.

The Jinhao-branded ones appear to be still $4-6 China-direct, and $6-10 from US vendors. These are similar to the prices when I bought mine from ebayer scopewa.

The P6200s seem to be right around $12-14 China-direct, and $16-18 from US vendors. Though this US vendor is offering a slightly different version called a P2200 for $14. eBay auction: #161707282241 Tempted to order one just to see what shows up.

[EDIT]
Found a vendor selling the P2200 for $9 from Taiwan. We'll see what shows up in a month; hope it's not a e-cig.   eBay auction: #264296104702  :-DD
[/EDIT]

mnem
*Probing-ily*
I have a pair of probes very similar to those, except that mine are fixed at 100:1 / 100MHz and 100M 2KV and the earth lead and connection on the probe body has total isolation shield over it.

EDIT here is the link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P4100-High-Voltage-Oscilloscope-Probe-2KV-100-1-100-MHz-alligator-clip-Mea-J3J7/282497692555?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 07:54:42 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31332 on: May 14, 2019, 07:44:22 pm »
Today, eBay messaged me with 10% eBay Bucks until midnight on the 15th. Why do they have to do that after I buy a spectrum analyzer? :palm: :-DD

(I wouldn't be surprised if these offers are triggered by prior purchases.)
Yes, I have one for 20% discount but these are always conditional against certain purchases from a select few sellers only  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31333 on: May 14, 2019, 07:47:06 pm »
The other day I declared the 7A24 vertical plug-in as “unfixable” due to it's many contact issues with both channel 1 and 2 attenuator switch decks. Well stubborn me refused to give up. Either fix it or junk it, those were the alternatives. Or a 3rd alternative, perform a radical experiment and see if it works. Got nothing to lose. Well, the experiment worked. And after a minor detour with the +15V short here are some results. Rock steady with a 10MHz square wave.

I will be outlining in detail the method I used to restore the attenuator switch decks in a separate thread. And even though this is a 50 ohm deck it will also apply to the 1MEG decks. And it applies to all 7000 series plug-ins as well as scopes such as the 465/475/485 which use the same attenuator assembly. And I assume the 5000 series plug-ins use the same decks too.   

Nice recovery job there, look forward to details of the fix, but what about +15V short, what was it in the end????
Who let Murphy in?

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31334 on: May 14, 2019, 07:56:08 pm »

but what about +15V short, what was it in the end????

Go back one page, it shows what I found.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31335 on: May 14, 2019, 08:00:46 pm »
I thought to myself for a long time now that I bet most if not all probes are made at the same place and big brands like Tek etc buy and badge them. I'm happy with my probes via ebay and seem to get good results with them.
Seems that way but it's not.

There's 3 or 4 eastern probe manufacturers, most are pretty easy to find but one of the biggest that make the P**** probes is not. You'll find them re-badged and sold under several names as well as their own.

There's some quite reasonable probes coming from this part of the world now.

Perhaps we need a "recommended" section on the OP for probes and other stuff. I have a couple of items in the Miscellany section that y'all have recommended, but maybe these good finds deserve their own section.

Thoughts?
I don't think it's necessary.
Ever since my lifelong interest in electronics was rekindled some 20 years back these cheap probes have been always available on eBay and IMO while we hobbyists keep dragging out old scopes and boat anchors they always will be. They are a consumable item, period.
Find a price and supplier you like and just buy them in bulk to have on hand for when you bugger one or it craps out. Just like DMM leads, they don't last forever.  :(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31336 on: May 14, 2019, 08:21:32 pm »

but what about +15V short, what was it in the end????

Go back one page, it shows what I found.
How the hell did I miss that. Good spot 😉
Who let Murphy in?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31337 on: May 14, 2019, 08:26:01 pm »
Yeah, I don't know how med found that. Talk about subtle!

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31338 on: May 14, 2019, 08:39:05 pm »
Hell, lead is everywhere as roof flashings and even waste pipes from yesteryear and the only reason it's not still in common use is cost......and the loss of skills to work with it.

Or, as in my house, in the water supply from the road.

I've lived here for 30 years, and have been very sure to run the water for 1 minutes to clear the water out of those pipes.

Or another traditional source: lead shot in game.
Yeah, I wish it was lead shot in that pheasant instead of the new one. Broke my tooth with one bite.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31339 on: May 14, 2019, 08:52:02 pm »
2% silver stuff is amazing. I bought a roll of this a while back to use on some old Tek stuff and it is just the best stuff to use: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solders/1047303/ (Felder 62/36/2 RA 0.5mm)

Only problem is the price! I am using it to assemble my K2 which I think deserves decent solder unlike my shitty prototypes :D
Yeah, my 20 year old 2% silver roll is tucked away for only special duties. Works great on multi layer heat robbing PCB's.  :phew:

------------
Keeps looking over shoulder to judge if current leaded solder stocks will see me out or not.......probably, but what might the kids use when I'm pushing up daisy's ..............better get some more ! ASAP.

Or you could take one for the team and break the cycle... stop the heavy-metal brain damage with your generation. Pass along the Metallica and Megadeth tho.  :-DD

mnem
* Young fart / Old punk * ;)
You believe too much modern press PC garbage.  :P
Fine if you live in the city and solder 40+ hrs/week then yes this is why there have been moves away from leaded solders.
Those that live in the country are more at risk from carrying spare lead air rifle pellets in your gob as we all did as kids.
Hell, lead is everywhere as roof flashings and even waste pipes from yesteryear and the only reason it's not still in common use is cost......and the loss of skills to work with it.

Next authorities will ban the use of copper flashings and pipes such is the idiocy of modern authorities that know best.  :bullshit:
I didn't pick this avatar for shits and giggles.  :P

What diameter solder do you guys prefer? I often hear people talk about getting thin stuff for SMD, but that stuff feeds so fast for THD.

(I'm considering buying my "lifetime" roll before the US decides to ban Pb solder, too.)
0.035" works well for fine TH work but just a shade thicker, say 0.050" is better for general purpose TH soldering.
0.035" is also fine for the bigger SMD like 0805 and at a pinch 0603.
My first impulse was to express my gratitude for the lucidity shown in the first part of your post.

Then I saw those medieval units of deception. And that from someone whose country is metric since '76. This shall not go through!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31340 on: May 14, 2019, 08:52:05 pm »

Or, as in my house, in the water supply from the road.

I've lived here for 30 years, and have been very sure to run the water for 1 minutes to clear the water out of those pipes.

Or another traditional source: lead shot in game.
Yeah, I wish it was lead shot in that pheasant instead of the new one. Broke my tooth with one bite.
Think yourself lucky, it killed the poor pheasant 😂😂😂
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #31341 on: May 14, 2019, 08:56:15 pm »
Talk about "Jumped the Shark..."

Harley-Davidson is trying to sell us a $30,000 electric motorbecycle... Evidently they think they're effing Tesla or something.    :palm:

I built 5 or 6 of the damned things when I was a teenager, out of salvaged golf-cart bits. The whole point was that they were CHEAP.

None of mine had a gas tank, though.  :o

mnem

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:01:19 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31342 on: May 14, 2019, 09:02:55 pm »
0.035" works well for fine TH work but just a shade thicker, say 0.050" is better for general purpose TH soldering.
My first impulse was to express my gratitude for the lucidity shown in the first part of your post.
Thanks.  :)
Then I saw those medieval units of deception. And that from someone whose country is metric since '76. This shall not go through!
Ah well I'm of an age where I comfortably use both and as I was giving Yank bitseeker info I thought it best to use imperial despite the calipers I used to check my solders could give me metric too.
Yet you seem to have no issue with SMD sizes in imperial.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31343 on: May 14, 2019, 09:03:51 pm »
Yeah that's terrible.  I thought similar things when I heard of distributed power generation a few years back.  I think I'd rather have been cold! In the last 100 years we've sussed a lot of stuff really haven't we?

What? Why? Just one quick detour in the cellar to look after those rods, and put another batch of home cannings on top for irradiation!

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31344 on: May 14, 2019, 09:11:45 pm »
Ah well I'm of an age where I comfortably use both and as I was giving Yank bitseeker info I thought it best to use imperial despite the calipers I used to check my solders could give me metric too.
I am well aware that we never made much progress regarding PCB and component measures (one or another metric connector doesn't disprove this). But I make the difference where thos units were gone and are brought back deliberately. I would have never thought that Britain makes the transition before the US. Anyway, at least you gave decimals, so you ARE on the path to the light!  ;D

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31345 on: May 14, 2019, 09:18:51 pm »
I am well aware that we never made much progress regarding PCB and component measures (one or another metric connector doesn't disprove this). But I make the difference where thos units were gone and are brought back deliberately. I would have never thought that Britain makes the transition before the US. Anyway, at least you gave decimals, so you ARE on the path to the light!  ;D

Meh....take your cm and mm and stick'em where the sun don't shine.  >:D :-DD :-DD

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31346 on: May 14, 2019, 09:20:06 pm »
Busy day here. Canada Post showed up. Crusty old Heath OL-1 Scope and Heath V-7A VTVM. Plus a bonus....a CT-1 probe!

They are crusty and neglected but I see potential. Nice long term project.

Kosmic.....thanks so much to be willing to take the time to send them to me. Your packaging was EXCELLENT. Took me forever to get all the bubble wrap off.  :-DD :-+ :-+

Ok, that is a really nice gratification for taking the e-trash off someone's hands!

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31347 on: May 14, 2019, 09:21:15 pm »
Yeah, I don't know how med found that. Talk about subtle!

Pure dumb luck and deductive reasoning. There was no short before I took apart. There was a short after I put it back together. Must have been something I did. Bingo.  :o

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31348 on: May 14, 2019, 09:57:57 pm »

Thanks for the consideration. I, too, am comfortable with both. So, feel free to use whichever units fit your fancy. If all else fails, it's not a big deal to Google "0.035 in mm", "22 C to F", or even "10 usd nzd".

Just don't start reporting how many hands high or stones heavy something is. :-DD
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:02:41 pm by bitseeker »

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31349 on: May 14, 2019, 10:15:21 pm »
Hands is easy. It's 7/8th of 2U in rack units  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf