Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14819087 times)

Jambalaya and 45 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #31675 on: May 20, 2019, 03:36:42 am »
ham radio, the TEA gateway drug... just say no to HF

:-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #31676 on: May 20, 2019, 03:58:32 am »
   I know... his sig makes me grin every time I see it...  >:D Meanwhile, I'm also this guy (okay, not even flying on the same plane of reality as Neil, but still...), broadcasting NTSC or PAL video at 25-1500mW in the 5.8GHz region on an untethered suborbital aerial platform.  :scared:

mnem
I am so full of... something.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 04:01:13 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31677 on: May 20, 2019, 06:00:59 am »
Was watching a interesting doc called "Doodlebug Summer" which is about the V-1 and V-2 rocket attacks on southern England in 1944-45. What I didn't realize was the shear number of rockets launched. Something like 6000 V-1's and 1000 V-2's.  :scared: I was surprised at that number. You guys living around London must have heard some stories from your older relatives concerning these attacks. At least the V-1 gave some warning. Loud droning then stopped. The V-2 gave no warning and initially your gov called it "gas explosions"  :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #31678 on: May 20, 2019, 06:35:46 am »
Nothing to do with TEA and more to do with potential GAS of a different sort. A Years+ worth of Pickled Onions added to the shack/house pantry, Honey and Pepper, Chilli Spiced and Bitey and Curried. Down to the last bottle of last years stash.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #31679 on: May 20, 2019, 06:47:01 am »
Was watching a interesting doc called "Doodlebug Summer" which is about the V-1 and V-2 rocket attacks on southern England in 1944-45. What I didn't realize was the shear number of rockets launched. Something like 6000 V-1's and 1000 V-2's.  :scared: I was surprised at that number. You guys living around London must have heard some stories from your older relatives concerning these attacks. At least the V-1 gave some warning. Loud droning then stopped. The V-2 gave no warning and initially your gov called it "gas explosions"  :palm:

There was an interesting use of intelligence services w.r.t. the V1s.

The UK had captured and turned all German agents parachuted into the UK. Initially the V1s landed on London as designed, but the turned agents fed back reports that the V1s landed beyond London. The Germans reduced their set range, so most fell into the countryside short of London.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #31680 on: May 20, 2019, 06:56:00 am »
ham radio, the TEA gateway drug... just say no to HF

:-DD

Ooooooooh. Microwave ham gets s**t-crazy-expensive TEA!  $30 parts/gunn diode with a $50,000 SpecAn to know what you are doing (or think you are! Hehe)
The only saving grace is that the parts 'generally' get cheaper (and smaller)

The 'craziest' boffin ham in that area in vk land is rex moncur, vk7mo, he keeps breaking world microwave records with a bmw x3 full to the gunwales of 10GHz stuff, a few years ago I went to the Gippstech conference (vk ham - vhf-microwave) and he had just pretty well gone from east to west coast of Australia (across the bight) on 10GHz! He was one of the guys grizzling about the new Icom 9700 not being very stable - well for him it isn't (currently I hope) He was involved with a mod for the icom 910, along with others including vk3xdk - to allow the 910 to be 10MHz ref locked.

Lovely fluke-nixie pron!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31681 on: May 20, 2019, 07:22:25 am »

The UK had captured and turned all German agents parachuted into the UK. Initially the V1s landed on London as designed, but the turned agents fed back reports that the V1s landed beyond London. The Germans reduced their set range, so most fell into the countryside short of London.

That must explain why the communities East and South of London took the brunt of the attacks and the most damage.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31682 on: May 20, 2019, 07:39:58 am »
Also why Medway is a shit hole now  :-DD

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #31683 on: May 20, 2019, 07:43:33 am »

I heard a similar story, but with the information being fed through the local newspapers.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #31684 on: May 20, 2019, 07:48:27 am »

That must explain why the communities East and South of London took the brunt of the attacks and the most damage.

Precisely.

Background information, edited from wackypedia: RV Jones' autobiography, Most Secret War: British Scientific Intelligence 1939–1945, formed the basis, pre-publication, of the BBC One TV documentary series "The Secret War". The historian A. J. P. Taylor described Most Secret War as "the most fascinating book on the Second World War that I have ever read" and, more generally, it has acquired almost classic status.

That book is indeed, even now, well worth reading and re-reading.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #31685 on: May 20, 2019, 07:53:00 am »
And on the matter of the V1's, an interesting recent thread that looks at the proximity shells used to take down many V1's:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/ww2-electronics-aa-delayed-shells/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31686 on: May 20, 2019, 10:12:32 am »
Straw poll. New sides for my 419A do I go smoked Gray or Clear (Cereal Packet cardboard is not a good long term option) and do I be evil and back light the Logo with LED's somehow? >:D

None of the innards of the 419A are really visible due to the inner aluminium shielding so clear is a bit pointless?
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31687 on: May 20, 2019, 10:24:04 am »

Precisely.

Background information, edited from wackypedia: RV Jones' autobiography, Most Secret War: British Scientific Intelligence 1939–1945, formed the basis, pre-publication, of the BBC One TV documentary series "The Secret War". The historian A. J. P. Taylor described Most Secret War as "the most fascinating book on the Second World War that I have ever read" and, more generally, it has acquired almost classic status.

That book is indeed, even now, well worth reading and re-reading.

So no family stories about those attacks or is it something that just isn't talked about any more?  :-//

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31688 on: May 20, 2019, 11:24:40 am »
Wow - someone just dropped $260 on a Fluke 8300A on the Bay of Evil. 

-Pat

free range primate

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31689 on: May 20, 2019, 12:25:41 pm »
   Straw poll. New sides for my 419A do I go smoked Gray or Clear (Cereal Packet cardboard is not a good long term option) and do I be evil and back light the Logo with LED's somehow? >:D

None of the innards of the 419A are really visible due to the inner aluminium shielding so clear is a bit pointless?

I've always had a soft spot for Silver Twill G10 laminate, myself.  >:D

mnem
You can kill me later. After my wife sees that monstrosity of a monitor...   ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 12:29:52 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31690 on: May 20, 2019, 12:56:34 pm »
Would need a beast of a Laser for G10 and the bigger CNC Router isn't back in running order so sticking with Acrylic at this stage. I could always make it a Woody I suppose I have some decent ply ;)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31691 on: May 20, 2019, 01:02:42 pm »
Countertop Formica? A world of possibilities there, and appropriate scraps should be pretty easy to come by.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31692 on: May 20, 2019, 01:04:46 pm »

I've always had a soft spot for Silver Twill G10 laminate, myself.  >:D

mnem
You can kill me later. After my wife sees that monstrosity of a monitor...   ;)
Can't kill you later because SWMBO will already have done the deed[emoji28]

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31693 on: May 20, 2019, 01:15:35 pm »
oculus inspired me to finally replace my 35 year old TI-30 SLR calculator.

watched some tutorials and decided that the TI36x pro was kinda clumsy at converting between polar and rectangular coordinates.

but its easy on this gadget.  AND it was 18 bucks at mega-lo-mart!  and to get the answer you click THE = KEY!!!

ps  finally found something that a damn fox hound is good for.  you can prop shit up against them.

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31694 on: May 20, 2019, 01:55:34 pm »
Interestingly the TI, Casio and arse end HP calculators are all made by Kinpo and have roughly the same software with some adjustments now. Depressing but the Chinese go their fingers into it.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31695 on: May 20, 2019, 02:43:47 pm »
First look inside the Heathkit OL-1 scope. I removed all the tubes and the CRT. The rear support bracket for the CRT is missing. And it definitely is not the original CRT. Going the vacuum the interior and inventory all the tubular caps plus the B+ can.

But before ordering any parts need to determine the condition of the power transformer. That's the only part that's unobtanium and if it's no good the entire restore is senseless. Luckily quick DC continuity check shows it's OK. Those two .1uf/1200V HV caps are physically sticky to touch.

Here's the vacuum tube complement.

1V2 HV Rectifier
6X4 B+ Rectifier
12AX7 Twin Triode preamp
4 – 12AU7 Twin Triodes for the Vertical and Horizontal amps
3EP1 CRT which was real tight in the front bezel. That green grid is not original.

All the tubes are readily available on Ebay.

Front panel. Going to completely strip it down and clean it. That's not rust. It's dirt. The case is going to be cleaned and then spray painted. Undecided on color right now. So, that's it for now. Will provide updates as progress is made.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #31696 on: May 20, 2019, 02:47:25 pm »
Wow - someone just dropped $260 on a Fluke 8300A on the Bay of Evil. 

LOL! Yeah, I was watching that little battle, but didn't catch the ending until just now. :box:
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31697 on: May 20, 2019, 02:52:21 pm »
@med: I would strip that down to bare parts and "rekit" it. I don't think I'd even try and fix that unless I had a couple of spare ones lying around  :-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31698 on: May 20, 2019, 02:55:52 pm »

For something completely different, you could use smaller squares of the acrylic (say 4" or 10cm), fill more of the space with the logo, and stand it on a wooden base with LEDs in the bottom edge to light it (use RGB ones for adjustable color). That'd look cool on the bench.

Without the lighted base, they could also make nice coasters for the bench.

For the 419A, due to the shielding, I'd either try to match the color of the other panels or how about some nice hardwood? With wood, the logo could remain an outline or be burn filled. Then, a few coats of lacquer to finish it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 03:01:43 pm by bitseeker »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31699 on: May 20, 2019, 03:00:14 pm »
First look inside the Heathkit OL-1 scope. I removed all the tubes and the CRT. The rear support bracket for the CRT is missing. And it definitely is not the original CRT. Going the vacuum the interior and inventory all the tubular caps plus the B+ can.

Added to POI.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf