Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14560063 times)

morris6, marcumr, K0ELB, TERRA Operative and 33 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #31700 on: May 20, 2019, 03:15:04 pm »
@med: I would strip that down to bare parts and "rekit" it. I don't think I'd even try and fix that unless I had a couple of spare ones lying around  :-DD

Yea, it might wind up a total "re-kit". We'll see. Plan right now is to clean it up and repaint. Get all new tubular and B+ caps. Do some random checks of the carbon resistors. Give it the smoke test and see what happens.  :scared:

The CRT shows evidence of phosphor burn along the center line but it's not bad. And here's the 1955 Heathkit Catalog entry. A whooping -3db response at 200KHz!  :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31701 on: May 20, 2019, 03:24:10 pm »
That's some bandwidth that. Also looks AC coupled only. It's an oscillo-nope  :-DD

More seriously, good luck with it. It deserves to live  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #31702 on: May 20, 2019, 03:37:46 pm »
oculus inspired me to finally replace my 35 year old TI-30 SLR calculator.

watched some tutorials and decided that the TI36x pro was kinda clumsy at converting between polar and rectangular coordinates.

but its easy on this gadget.  AND it was 18 bucks at mega-lo-mart!  and to get the answer you click THE = KEY!!!

ps  finally found something that a damn fox hound is good for.  you can prop shit up against them.

Yes, but...WILL IT BLEND?!?

Priorities, man!!!  :-DD

mnem
The adding machine, duh. What kind of sick bastard would even think of blendering a dog?!?  :palm:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31703 on: May 20, 2019, 03:55:38 pm »
That's some bandwidth that. Also looks AC coupled only. It's an oscillo-nope  :-DD

More seriously, good luck with it. It deserves to live  :-+

Yepper.....AC coupled only. None of this DC rubbish.  :-DD

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #31704 on: May 20, 2019, 04:08:30 pm »
Here's a little case I printed last night for an el cheapo Chinese frequency counter module. I used "clear" PLA. Came out right the first time, I must be doing something right.  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31705 on: May 20, 2019, 04:32:57 pm »
Yeah, except it's obviously upside-down. You need to flip the object in Cura before you slice it.  :palm:

mnem
};=)~~~~<
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31706 on: May 20, 2019, 04:39:05 pm »
@med: I would strip that down to bare parts and "rekit" it. I don't think I'd even try and fix that unless I had a couple of spare ones lying around  :-DD

Yea, it might wind up a total "re-kit". We'll see. Plan right now is to clean it up and repaint. Get all new tubular and B+ caps. Do some random checks of the carbon resistors. Give it the smoke test and see what happens.  :scared:
The CRT shows evidence of phosphor burn along the center line but it's not bad. And here's the 1955 Heathkit Catalog entry. A whooping -3db response at 200KHz!  :-DD

DUMONT 3GP1: eBay auction: #273093843232

mnem
*back out into the suck*

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31707 on: May 20, 2019, 05:05:24 pm »
Yeah, except it's obviously upside-down. You need to flip the object in Cura before you slice it.  :palm:

mnem
};=)~~~~<

Huh?
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31708 on: May 20, 2019, 05:25:13 pm »
Those two .1uf/1200V HV caps are physically sticky to touch.

I took the time to test all the electrolytic when it was open on my bench, and only 2 of them are good (see picture).

Haa and I just spotted the big metallic cap in the back (other side of the transfo). I did not test that one.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 05:31:20 pm by Kosmic »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31709 on: May 20, 2019, 06:10:56 pm »

DUMONT 3GP1: eBay auction: #273093843232

mnem
*back out into the suck*

I know, I saw it. Thanks. :-+  I'm going to run with the current CRT and see how it works. If FUBAR I'll purchase that one.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31710 on: May 20, 2019, 06:15:56 pm »
Those two .1uf/1200V HV caps are physically sticky to touch.

I took the time to test all the electrolytic when it was open on my bench, and only 2 of them are good (see picture).

Haa and I just spotted the big metallic cap in the back (other side of the transfo). I did not test that one..

Yep, I'm going to replace them all. I just made up an inventory and it actually isn't that many.....

4 - 20uf/450V
4 - 0.1uf/200V
2 - 0.1uf/1200V
2 - 20uf/150V
2 - 0.1uf/400V

I will probably pull the can and gut it and install the 4 - 20uf/450V. We'll see how that works out. If not they will be under the chassis.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #31711 on: May 20, 2019, 06:25:05 pm »
Here's a little case I printed last night for an el cheapo Chinese frequency counter module. I used "clear" PLA. Came out right the first time, I must be doing something right.  :-//

Cute little counter. How fast can it count?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31712 on: May 20, 2019, 06:31:31 pm »
Cute little counter. How fast can it count?

Good question - I forgot because I only use it to monitor my GPSDO. But I just went to the bench and ran a quick test. It actually got to 450 MHz before crapping out. It was off by 1.1 kHz at 450 MHz. Not bad for such a device!  8)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31713 on: May 20, 2019, 06:42:42 pm »
Yeah, neat.

In other news, I'm experiencing a variation of Bait Theory. It appears that getting your first Tek scope draws companions to your bench. Same goes for analog HP function generators.

Here are the new additions: Tektronix 2215A and HP 3312A. The only problems I've detected thus far are crusty switches in need of cleaning on both devices and a missing foot on the HP.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Neomys Sapiens

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31714 on: May 20, 2019, 06:50:14 pm »
Here are the new additions: Tektronix 2215A and HP 3312A. The only problems I've detected thus far are crusty switches in need of cleaning on both devices and a missing foot on the HP.

Yea nice, oldies but goodies.

In other news, I'm experiencing a variation of Bait Theory. It appears that getting your first Tek scope draws companions to your bench. Same goes for analog HP function generators.

I went to the first page to look that term up - wow! I didn't know all that stuff had been added there! I didn't even realize Hotel California was our anthem.

Yea this part of the song is starting to describe conditions here -

'Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year (any time of year) you can find it here"

:-DD

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31715 on: May 20, 2019, 06:53:23 pm »
Yes, despite 10% of all posts in the Test Equipment forum being in this thread, there is still "plenty of room." ;D

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31716 on: May 20, 2019, 06:55:56 pm »
Was watching a interesting doc called "Doodlebug Summer" which is about the V-1 and V-2 rocket attacks on southern England in 1944-45. What I didn't realize was the shear number of rockets launched. Something like 6000 V-1's and 1000 V-2's.  :scared: I was surprised at that number. You guys living around London must have heard some stories from your older relatives concerning these attacks. At least the V-1 gave some warning. Loud droning then stopped. The V-2 gave no warning and initially your gov called it "gas explosions"  :palm:

There was an interesting use of intelligence services w.r.t. the V1s.

The UK had captured and turned all German agents parachuted into the UK. Initially the V1s landed on London as designed, but the turned agents fed back reports that the V1s landed beyond London. The Germans reduced their set range, so most fell into the countryside short of London.

That must explain why the communities East and South of London took the brunt of the attacks and the most damage.

Precisely.

Background information, edited from wackypedia: RV Jones' autobiography, Most Secret War: British Scientific Intelligence 1939–1945, formed the basis, pre-publication, of the BBC One TV documentary series "The Secret War". The historian A. J. P. Taylor described Most Secret War as "the most fascinating book on the Second World War that I have ever read" and, more generally, it has acquired almost classic status.

That book is indeed, even now, well worth reading and re-reading.

I concur on that. Really good reading!

The V-2 was probably the most ineffective weapon ever. Building them cost more lives (Jewish slave workers) than their operation. Pinpricks compared to the British/US bombing raids. I'm just glad I didn't have to live during those times, whatever country I might have been born in.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #31717 on: May 20, 2019, 07:17:32 pm »
Having been diagnosed with TEAS for about a year now, I have been making notes on some side effects or, if you will, manifestations of the syndrome. For example, at hamfests I spend an inordinate amount of time looking for large, bulky electrolytic capacitors, boxes full of meters, oscilloscope probe parts, test leads, and gray knobs of a certain size while ignoring all the radios and other gear intended to actually receive or transmit RF signals, unless to or from a piece of test equipment.  I also seem to be inordinately fascinated with any sort of box that has a Tektronix, HP, or General Radio logo on it, especially if it probably doesn't work, obviously needs to be repaired, or has a sticky on it that says, make me an offer.

I dunno, is this weird?   :-DD

specialization is for insects.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31718 on: May 20, 2019, 07:26:12 pm »

mnem
};=)~~~~<
Huh?

mnem
};=)~~~~<

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31719 on: May 20, 2019, 07:36:24 pm »
Are you drinking today or what.  :-//

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31720 on: May 20, 2019, 07:47:38 pm »

not sure what is up with the dragon today.

earlier he wanted to put my house pet in a blender.

should we try to get into his head to see what he had in mind that we somehow missed?

NO!  absolutely not!
free range primate

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31721 on: May 20, 2019, 07:54:44 pm »
:-DD Lots of "interesting" goings on today. :-DD

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31722 on: May 20, 2019, 07:59:10 pm »

should we try to get into his head to see what he had in mind that we somehow missed?

NO!  absolutely not!

If anyone can decipher what he’s trying to tell me I’d much appreciate it. I’m not above asking for help.  :)

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #31723 on: May 20, 2019, 08:49:58 pm »
Maybe mrs mnem did get to him over the monitor! But what a way to go - a TEA-warriors death! Hehe.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31724 on: May 20, 2019, 08:52:09 pm »

mnem
};=)~~~~<
Huh?

mnem
};=)~~~~<

NO!  absolutely not!

If anyone can decipher what he’s trying to tell me I’d much appreciate it. I’m not above asking for help.  :)

Hey!!! I resemble that remark!!!  :-DD

I've been told I have a perfect deadpan delivery before... but I never imagined it would carry through the computer screen. Pullin' yer leg-ily, dude.  >:D
  :)

mnem
No seriously; don't leave me alone in here with him! It's dark & scary & it smells like dwagon-toots!  :o
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:11:01 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf