Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14936451 times)

dazz1, dxl and 196 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline sequoia

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #4575 on: December 08, 2017, 10:45:29 pm »
The blue Hakk0 (Yes, seriously) labeled T12 OLED board is pretty well-known to be of decent quality; it was originally developed as an open source upgrade/repair project for folks who had one of the cheapo Hakko 937 clones where the controller board burned up but still had a good 24-28V transformer/rectifier bridge sub-assembly inside the case. Yes, this is a pretty common failure on many of them; even the better ones like the Aoyue. However there are oodles of similar boards out there like the Quicko that are based on the same open source design but you don't know where a particular manufacturer may or may not have cut corners. It does appear to use the same open-source Menu-driven PID loop firmware as the blue Hakk0 controller, though.

It would seem there is at least two different "styles" of these T12 OLED boards floating around; 4-wire or 5-wire connector for the handle.   Is one or the other style any "better" in general?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #4576 on: December 09, 2017, 05:57:15 am »
Hi everyone my name is beanflying and I have a problem ...........

I pulled the trigger on a second Agilent 34970A for the week because Santa promised me toys for Christmas  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4577 on: December 09, 2017, 06:31:25 am »
Let's see. Acquisition modules as stocking stuffers?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #4578 on: December 09, 2017, 06:34:31 am »
Ugh some of the shit from China is awful. It’s fun finding out though.

This thread is my personal facepalm recently https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/how-did-this-even-get-through-qa-(chinese-boost-converter)/msg1364657/
And that also has some of the hallmarks I mentioned, that chip certainly looks like it has been salvaged from something else, but so far I've had nothing like that with my purchases to date.

Yeah... that DC-DC converter is exactly the kind of fault I'm talking about; one side didn't get flow-soldered right, so the other side was easily knocked off by handling at the factory or machine processing by the carrier if it was shipped in a bubble mailer or plastic mailing sleeve.

Yes. The T12/T13/T15 cartridge system is a complete unitized heater and temp sensor hermetically sealed away from the atmosphere inside a stainless steel envelope. This addresses the eternal problem that eventually faces all of the old-fashioned slug-in-a-metal-tube type irons; slow response caused by oxidation between the tip and the heater, and inaccuracy caused by oxidation between the tip and the thermocouple/PTC temp sensor.

My MLiNK S4 is an awesome station that highlights this to the extreme; when the handle and tip are fresh and new it solders like a dream. It uses a high-frequency (switch-mode) power supply and a handle based on the now-defunct T-200 soldering head technology that can deliver 90W actual to the tip, plus has sleep mode and a crisp backlit LCD display with set and actual temps all inside a nice extruded AL case with metal face and back.

Tip and heating element are modular plug-in, which is convenient. But as the tip and the temp sensor age and get crusty response time gets worse, overshoot gets worse, everything runs too hot or too cold until you replace the tip and scrub the temp sensor clean with steel wool. Eventually the sensor gets to a point where it crusts up in a matter of hours and you just have to replace the whole handle; the heater is modular but the temp sensor is not.

I wouldn't wait on ordering the Ayima FX-9501 handle; it's on sale right now, and you'll want a spare handle even if your deal falls through and you order a different kit that comes with the right handle. The hack 907/937 handle that comes with is hazard to the controller; if the contacts jam and bend inward, which they eventually always do, they can short out the main power to the heating element. I was just lucky with mine.

mnem
Lessons learned the hard way...
Your point about the oxidisation was well proven today while attempting some modifications to my Heathkit V-7AU I thought to myself that my iron was not responding much to the heat I was putting into it, I had to turn the heat upto 420 to complete a joint that was simple to do. After letting it cool down, I took the tip off and you was right, the slug in the tip was loose and oxidised, so I took a new tip and fitted it and I was now able to solder the same joint at 300 on the display, and the old tip showed no signs of degradation on the outside.

With that, I'm now looking forward to getting my new T12 setup even more and waving that drop in performance goodbye.

Now I know that my Hakko 936D is a clone but I really can't see that a genuine Hakko 936D would have performed much differently given the conditions of the tip which was a genuine Hakko one anyway.

It makes me shudder now thinking back to how I used to use mains heated irons made by famous brands like Salon and Weller before, and even fitting new tips to them, never restored their performance they had when they were new. That makes the sound of the hermetically sealed T12 tips with their integrated heaters even more enticing. Looks like the thread about soldering stations taught me a lesson and did me a favour, so who says that you can't teach an old dog new tricks?  :-DD   

Glad I was able to pass on that hard-won knowledge to someone who could make use of it. Please remember to pay it forward! :D

The blue Hakk0 (Yes, seriously) labeled T12 OLED board is pretty well-known to be of decent quality; it was originally developed as an open source upgrade/repair project for folks who had one of the cheapo Hakko 937 clones where the controller board burned up but still had a good 24-28V transformer/rectifier bridge sub-assembly inside the case. Yes, this is a pretty common failure on many of them; even the better ones like the Aoyue. However there are oodles of similar boards out there like the Quicko that are based on the same open source design but you don't know where a particular manufacturer may or may not have cut corners. It does appear to use the same open-source Menu-driven PID loop firmware as the blue Hakk0 controller, though.

It would seem there is at least two different "styles" of these T12 OLED boards floating around; 4-wire or 5-wire connector for the handle.   Is one or the other style any "better" in general?

Oh, good eye... I got so used to seeing the 4-pin connector on the cheaper non-sleep-mode 3-digit LED models I completely overlooked that on the Quicko version.

The blue Hakk0 controller comes with two sensors to go in the handle; one is a ball or mercury switch which is used sense when you lift the handle and it goes above horizontal or so; the other is a small glass-envelope thermistor (looks like a 1N4148 switching diode) soldered to the Earth GND contact to sense if the connectors overheat from age and corrosion or if there's an thermal runaway on the T12 cartridge itself.

It looks to me like the Quicko version omits that sensor for the sake of a few pence.  :-\

That means you guys are definitely going to have to rewire your Ayima handles; it's not going to be just a matter of checking to make sure the pinout is the same, as they can't be. Here's the pinout for that, which was the same as my Ayima handle; maybe the Quicko controller has that sense pin and they just omitted to use a cheaper 4-conductor wire & aircraft-style connector.

mnem
DOYT!
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #4579 on: December 09, 2017, 06:37:17 am »
Let's see. Acquisition modules as stocking stuffers?

They came pre stuffed with two modules each for $400 AU pesos  :o
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4580 on: December 09, 2017, 08:34:55 am »
Package located. I repeat, package located! After running into a wall trying to contact the shipper, I decided to enter the tracking number into the trackers of a few random major shippers around here. Sure enough, one returned a hit, with an actual collection point and associated address.

There are several websites not affiliated with specific carriers, where you can enter the package details and it will automagically "locate" the courier and location.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4581 on: December 09, 2017, 10:36:32 am »
Got my 8000A. Not in terrible condition. There are a few minor issues with it, as expected with anything this old but it mostly works pretty well. Firstly someone has repaired the display flexible PCB with bodge wires. This needs rectifying. I will probably make a new display board for it and just remove the old one. Gives me an excuse to design and make something in kicad.. Secondly switches are a bit sucky, again expected. The biggest problem is it’s a bit drifty. I thought this was a big issue. Turns out it’s not - the power supply caps are original and completely knackered and the rails drift so they will be replaced.

Oh also one of the pins attaching the display fascia has snapped off so that will need repairing with some epoxy.

It is however pretty much spot on with calibration.

Edit: photo

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:53:35 am by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4582 on: December 09, 2017, 11:24:49 am »
Ugh some of the shit from China is awful. It’s fun finding out though.

This thread is my personal facepalm recently https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/how-did-this-even-get-through-qa-(chinese-boost-converter)/msg1364657/
And that also has some of the hallmarks I mentioned, that chip certainly looks like it has been salvaged from something else, but so far I've had nothing like that with my purchases to date.

Yeah... that DC-DC converter is exactly the kind of fault I'm talking about; one side didn't get flow-soldered right, so the other side was easily knocked off by handling at the factory or machine processing by the carrier if it was shipped in a bubble mailer or plastic mailing sleeve.

Yes. The T12/T13/T15 cartridge system is a complete unitized heater and temp sensor hermetically sealed away from the atmosphere inside a stainless steel envelope. This addresses the eternal problem that eventually faces all of the old-fashioned slug-in-a-metal-tube type irons; slow response caused by oxidation between the tip and the heater, and inaccuracy caused by oxidation between the tip and the thermocouple/PTC temp sensor.

My MLiNK S4 is an awesome station that highlights this to the extreme; when the handle and tip are fresh and new it solders like a dream. It uses a high-frequency (switch-mode) power supply and a handle based on the now-defunct T-200 soldering head technology that can deliver 90W actual to the tip, plus has sleep mode and a crisp backlit LCD display with set and actual temps all inside a nice extruded AL case with metal face and back.

Tip and heating element are modular plug-in, which is convenient. But as the tip and the temp sensor age and get crusty response time gets worse, overshoot gets worse, everything runs too hot or too cold until you replace the tip and scrub the temp sensor clean with steel wool. Eventually the sensor gets to a point where it crusts up in a matter of hours and you just have to replace the whole handle; the heater is modular but the temp sensor is not.

I wouldn't wait on ordering the Ayima FX-9501 handle; it's on sale right now, and you'll want a spare handle even if your deal falls through and you order a different kit that comes with the right handle. The hack 907/937 handle that comes with is hazard to the controller; if the contacts jam and bend inward, which they eventually always do, they can short out the main power to the heating element. I was just lucky with mine.

mnem
Lessons learned the hard way...
Your point about the oxidisation was well proven today while attempting some modifications to my Heathkit V-7AU I thought to myself that my iron was not responding much to the heat I was putting into it, I had to turn the heat upto 420 to complete a joint that was simple to do. After letting it cool down, I took the tip off and you was right, the slug in the tip was loose and oxidised, so I took a new tip and fitted it and I was now able to solder the same joint at 300 on the display, and the old tip showed no signs of degradation on the outside.

With that, I'm now looking forward to getting my new T12 setup even more and waving that drop in performance goodbye.

Now I know that my Hakko 936D is a clone but I really can't see that a genuine Hakko 936D would have performed much differently given the conditions of the tip which was a genuine Hakko one anyway.

It makes me shudder now thinking back to how I used to use mains heated irons made by famous brands like Salon and Weller before, and even fitting new tips to them, never restored their performance they had when they were new. That makes the sound of the hermetically sealed T12 tips with their integrated heaters even more enticing. Looks like the thread about soldering stations taught me a lesson and did me a favour, so who says that you can't teach an old dog new tricks?  :-DD   

Glad I was able to pass on that hard-won knowledge to someone who could make use of it. Please remember to pay it forward! :D

Oh, good eye... I got so used to seeing the 4-pin connector on the cheaper non-sleep-mode 3-digit LED models I completely overlooked that on the Quicko version.

The blue Hakk0 controller comes with two sensors to go in the handle; one is a ball or mercury switch which is used sense when you lift the handle and it goes above horizontal or so; the other is a small glass-envelope thermistor (looks like a 1N4148 switching diode) soldered to the Earth GND contact to sense if the connectors overheat from age and corrosion or if there's an thermal runaway on the T12 cartridge itself.

It looks to me like the Quicko version omits that sensor for the sake of a few pence.  :-\

That means you guys are definitely going to have to rewire your Ayima handles; it's not going to be just a matter of checking to make sure the pinout is the same, as they can't be. Here's the pinout for that, which was the same as my Ayima handle; maybe the Quicko controller has that sense pin and they just omitted to use a cheaper 4-conductor wire & aircraft-style connector.

mnem
DOYT!
Actually I'm not sure if it is a 4 wire device as they replaced the video with a new one which shows a 5 pin socket on the fascia and the unit is preassembled. The old video showed the controller as a part and the person was plugging the leads into it, which I think is from the very basic model, not the 952. So we may not have to rewire etc at all, only time will tell for sure, mine has already been dispatched so hopefully they have speeded up the delivery cycle because the Xmas rush? I live in hope that I'll soon be using it [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4583 on: December 09, 2017, 11:30:53 am »
Got my 8000A. Not in terrible condition. There are a few minor issues with it, as expected with anything this old but it mostly works pretty well. Firstly someone has repaired the display flexible PCB with bodge wires. This needs rectifying. I will probably make a new display board for it and just remove the old one. Gives me an excuse to design and make something in kicad.. Secondly switches are a bit sucky, again expected. The biggest problem is it’s a bit drifty. I thought this was a big issue. Turns out it’s not - the power supply caps are original and completely knackered and the rails drift so they will be replaced.

Oh also one of the pins attaching the display fascia has snapped off so that will need repairing with some epoxy.

It is however pretty much spot on with calibration.

Edit: photo

Looking good, I almost joined you with a Keithly model but it went for what I thought was stupid money, unless I'm getting tight. [emoji6]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #4584 on: December 09, 2017, 11:34:26 am »
Hmmm, all the pics of the Quicko I ordered show 4 pin connectors ... bugger.

I noticed that a similar unit from KSGER shows all 5 pin connectors.  :(

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4585 on: December 09, 2017, 11:39:19 am »

There are various models of Quicko and the cheaper more basic ones are certainly, according to the the site, 4 pins. Revisit the site and and do double check, like I said the video for the one recommended has been replaced.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4586 on: December 09, 2017, 11:46:21 am »

There are various models of Quicko and the cheaper more basic ones are certainly, according to the the site, 4 pins. Revisit the site and and do double check, like I said the video for the one recommended has been replaced.

I just checked and the photos showing the various sets and what's included in them does show 4 pins, so we will not know for certain until they arrive. Either way the sleep function looks to be working OK on the demo videos [emoji54]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4587 on: December 09, 2017, 12:26:02 pm »
Oh crap, just put the desktop on to check the video  :palm: it has a 4 pin plug and socket on the 952 BUT, it does also demonstrate the sleep function working and the menu setting clearly shows that you select how it can be woken from sleep, being handle only (picking it up), encoder only or both. It also has a power OFF mode if the iron was left in sleep mode for a user set time period, it will then proceed to shut of the iron all together.

Now I think about it I'm sure that I have seen some instructions on line somewhere that show the extra sensor being connected in series with the (i believe) the heater so it would seem that we may not have lost any functionality at all. For the final answer we will have to wait and see what turns up, either way it will be miles better that what we currently have that a given.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:27:58 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: djos

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #4588 on: December 09, 2017, 12:35:20 pm »
Oh crap, just put the desktop on to check the video  :palm: it has a 4 pin plug and socket on the 952 BUT, it does also demonstrate the sleep function working and the menu setting clearly shows that you select how it can be woken from sleep, being handle only (picking it up), encoder only or both. It also has a power OFF mode if the iron was left in sleep mode for a user set time period, it will then proceed to shut of the iron all together.

Now I think about it I'm sure that I have seen some instructions on line somewhere that show the extra sensor being connected in series with the (i believe) the heater so it would seem that we may not have lost any functionality at all. For the final answer we will have to wait and see what turns up, either way it will be miles better that what we currently have that a given.  :popcorn:

Lol, I'm looking forward to it so see how we go.  :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4589 on: December 09, 2017, 03:20:30 pm »

Lol, I'm looking forward to it so see how we go.  :-+
It'll be alright [emoji23]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #4590 on: December 09, 2017, 04:07:40 pm »
Quote from: mnementh
Quote from: Specmaster

mnem
DOYT!
Actually I'm not sure if it is a 4 wire device as they replaced the video with a new one which shows a 5 pin socket on the fascia and the unit is preassembled. The old video showed the controller as a part and the person was plugging the leads into it, which I think is from the very basic model, not the 952. So we may not have to rewire etc at all, only time will tell for sure, mine has already been dispatched so hopefully they have speeded up the delivery cycle because the Xmas rush? I live in hope that I'll soon be using it [emoji4]

I think you are confusing the additional thermistor in the handle used as a safety monitor with my description (or someone else's) of how the T12 system works; the T12 cartridge uses a thermocouple in series with the heater.

Not really feasible to put all that in series with a thermistor rated in milliwatts. ;)

I said y'all were trailblazing with this particular vendor; this kind of variation from maker to maker is exactly where that rabbit-hole leads.   :P

But at least you know what to look for now; I have no doubt it will be as simple as swapping a wire or two around at worst. :D I am ~98% sure you'll be able to make that Ayima handle work with the Quicko controller.

mnem
No, I am not advocating the 2% solution. ;)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 04:38:07 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4591 on: December 09, 2017, 07:04:26 pm »

It's not a matter of needing this level of absolute accuracy; it's a matter of having something you know is close enough to the absolute standard to be sure your own gear isn't totally out to lunch, or at least for me that's the case anyways. Most everything I work with anymore are relatively simple digital projects; STM32 and occasionally Atmel 8-bit, so anything more than 3 digit accuracy is pretty much unnecessary.

Actually, the RPP series Diodes are part of the original design; this model has them on both the BATT and Coax Power circuits. I just massaged the existing design a little.  :-/O

mnem
*Rare moment of pragmatism*

Just received mine. It does have the 'L' version and the diodes as well. But my desk, no my whole lab!, is piled up with stuff right now, so I can't even do a quick test. I'm currently packing resistors (E96 series) into little bags so I can clean the magazine drawers and make a plan how to sort them into the cleaned drawers. There's certainly not going to be space for 5 or 6 decades of 96 values each. There'll be some tough decisions ahead of me.  :-\

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4592 on: December 09, 2017, 08:13:33 pm »
Got to engrossed on here and forgot to bid on this, Solartron 7045 4.5 digit auto ranger  :palm: That's the 5th item I didn't get this week and ironically, the 2 things that I forgot to bid or just didn't get my bid in before time ran out, went for pretty sums too, the other went for what I'd call stupid money   :popcorn:

Erm, I probably shouldn't admit that a few of those slipped through my hands and ended up us landfill, so I have only 3. IMHO, their plastics are about as shitty as the Philips PM2521's.
Talking about PM2521, I just saw this one: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Philips-PM-2521-Automatic-Multimeter-mit-Hz-C-ohm-A-V-und-Diodenmessung/122844527128?hash=item1c9a1aba18:g:0fEAAOSwc2FZ727C. Good looking front, but no delivery to GB, though, it seems.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4593 on: December 09, 2017, 08:32:29 pm »
Thanks for the link, question has been sent to the seller about shipping to the UK. I can but ask. This week I have let no fewer than 6 items slip through my hands on Ebay grrrr  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4594 on: December 09, 2017, 08:39:25 pm »
Yeah I'm doing pretty bad on ebay this week as well. Some of the prices things are going for are absolutely crazy  :scared:

I've got to the point I am not even bidding because I know they are going to go mental.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4595 on: December 09, 2017, 09:51:49 pm »
How boring is it when delivery of parts to finish off a project don't turn up when you want them to, bugger all action on Ebay or other sales / auction sites either to whet the TEA appetite so I've been forced to watch the latest episode of "The Grand Tour" only find out that it is no longer a Tour in the sense of the word at all, being permanently based almost in Clarksons back yard  :wtf:

Who let Murphy in?

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4596 on: December 09, 2017, 10:20:18 pm »
They delivered my parts today. Left the bloody things on the wet door step (Rapid + UKMail) when I was in. Didn’t even knock or ring the bell.

Fortunately rapid like their zip lock bags so the contents were fine.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4597 on: December 09, 2017, 10:27:14 pm »
They delivered my parts today. Left the bloody things on the wet door step (Rapid + UKMail) when I was in. Didn’t even knock or ring the bell.

Fortunately rapid like their zip lock bags so the contents were fine.
How did you get on with your Hermes delivery?
Who let Murphy in?

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4598 on: December 09, 2017, 10:56:50 pm »
Hermes were fine. Grumpy McFuck (my usual Hermes driver) delivered it in one piece, to the door! :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4599 on: December 09, 2017, 11:11:13 pm »
So he was a Scottish dwarf then, obviously looking a free bowl of porridge to dip his spoon into  :-DD Did you give him a Christmas tip at all to prevent him from destroying even more of your deliveries next year  :-/O 
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf