Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14827327 times)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #8450 on: March 12, 2018, 08:19:44 am »
Yep, no problem. It made sense since you had posted before Brumby's NSA. I've added them both with the aforementioned adjustments. POS applies to all kinds of sources, whereas NSA is more specifically those more colorful (or dark, as the case may be) ones.
I like the way you went with both.  :-+

Somehow, though, it seems a bit sad that my greatest contribution to this thread has been to the Glossary.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8451 on: March 12, 2018, 08:35:57 am »
I disagree, all your inputs along with vast rank and file of this forums input are all contributing to what makes this the very best electronics forum in existence today.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8452 on: March 12, 2018, 08:54:16 am »
And the biggest advert for cloudflare ever!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8453 on: March 12, 2018, 09:07:48 am »
And the biggest advert for cloudflare ever!
You do know what CF stands for, right ?  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8454 on: March 12, 2018, 09:33:59 am »
Clusterfuck?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8456 on: March 12, 2018, 10:02:38 am »
Upstream 500 errors are the clusterfuck :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8457 on: March 12, 2018, 10:18:11 am »

Quote from: bd139 on Today at 10:02:38 PM

I think that we suffered one of these yesterday evening because it was down a long.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8458 on: March 12, 2018, 10:22:46 am »
Language guys !

I'll just drop this here for context:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/news/server-outage-12-3-18/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #8459 on: March 12, 2018, 01:14:27 pm »
I disagree, all your inputs along with vast rank and file of this forums input are all contributing to what makes this the very best electronics forum in existence today.

Thanks ... but it would be nice if I could crow about picking up a Tek 465 or HP 3457A for peanuts at a local boot sale - but that just doesn't happen around here.  Instead, I live vicariously ......   ;D

Keep 'em coming...!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8460 on: March 12, 2018, 01:28:46 pm »

Thanks ... but it would be nice if I could crow about picking up a Tek 465 or HP 3457A for peanuts at a local boot sale - but that just doesn't happen around here.  Instead, I live vicariously ......   ;D

Keep 'em coming...!
Not so sure that happens here either, I've had that kind of luck, be nice if I did though  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #8461 on: March 12, 2018, 02:00:10 pm »
I speak of an unlikely dream ... but even backing up a bit, there's nothing available.

If I ever made it over to the USA, I'd have to have a container and the budget to fill it.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #8462 on: March 12, 2018, 02:09:58 pm »

Keep 'em coming...!
Not so sure that happens here either, I've had that kind of luck, be nice if I did though  :popcorn:

Arnold Palmer, the top golfer of his day, cut through an awful lot of the cr*p sports commentary. He said "It's a funny thing, the more I practice the luckier I get" (or similar; there are many variants).
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8463 on: March 12, 2018, 02:21:25 pm »
I've mentioned before that I have one 2465 that came to me in New York from NASA by means of Albuquerque;

Where, presumably, it turned right or it would never have managed to find its way to you.

I'm still sitting waiting to find the right 2465 at the right price. I'm determined that I'll eventually have one in the collection, but I have a sneaking suspicion that when I do it'll quickly become my "daily driver" so I want one that'll keep going for  along time.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8464 on: March 12, 2018, 02:22:59 pm »

Keep 'em coming...!

Arnold Palmer, the top golfer of his day, cut through an awful lot of the cr*p sports commentary. He said "It's a funny thing, the more I practice the luckier I get" (or similar; there are many variants).
Cambridgeshire must have a better class of boots sales then most, might be worth taking a container northwards then.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8465 on: March 12, 2018, 02:36:32 pm »
I think I ascended to a new level of TEA this morning. I couldn't find the cord that goes with my bathrobe, so rather than risking a scalding tea or cooking oil incident I made sure the robe covered me up to the point of decency, looped a stackable banana plug lead around myself and the robe, plugged the lead it into itself and went about my business.

Stackable Banana Belt
+5 conductivity
+2 fashionability
35% chance of causing mild headshaking

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8466 on: March 12, 2018, 02:45:21 pm »
I think I ascended to a new level of TEA this morning. I couldn't find the cord that goes with my bathrobe, so rather than risking a scalding tea or cooking oil incident I made sure the robe covered me up to the point of decency, looped a stackable banana plug lead around myself and the robe, plugged the lead it into itself and went about my business.

Stackable Banana Belt
+5 conductivity
+2 fashionability

Length of rainbow ribbon cable, couple of mating IDC connectors and you've got a fetching belt for your next local Pride parade.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #8467 on: March 12, 2018, 03:24:32 pm »
Yep, no problem. It made sense since you had posted before Brumby's NSA. I've added them both with the aforementioned adjustments. POS applies to all kinds of sources, whereas NSA is more specifically those more colorful (or dark, as the case may be) ones.

Somehow, though, it seems a bit sad that my greatest contribution to this thread has been to the Glossary.

What's wrong with that? You're part of the design spec. ;)

Language guys !

I'll just drop this here for context:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/news/server-outage-12-3-18/

Charlie-Foxtrot seems to be the acceptable substitute nowadays.  :-+

from reading your info-drop, it seems to me that HostGator made a bunch of unauthorized modifications to eevblog's server without warning or even contacting anybody at eevblog; but as always, management finds a way to make it THEIR fault. Time to dust off this old saw...

Quote from:  Engineering vs Management

A man is flying in a hot-air balloon and realizes he is lost. He reduces height and spots a man below. He lowers the balloon farther and shouts, "Excuse me! Can you tell me where I am?"

The man below says: "Yes, you're in a hot-air balloon, hovering 30 feet above this field."

"You must be an engineer," says the balloonist.

"I am," replies the man. "How did you know?"

"Well," says the balloonist, "everything you have told me is technically correct, but it's utterly useless use to me."

The man below says, "You must be in management."

"I am," replies the balloonist, "but how did you know?"

"Well," says the engineer, "you don't know where you are or what you're doing, but you expect me to be able to help. You're in the same position you were before we met, but now it's my fault."

I've mentioned before that I have one 2465 that came to me in New York from NASA by means of Albuquerque;

Where, presumably, it turned right or it would never have managed to find its way to you.

I'm still sitting waiting to find the right 2465 at the right price. I'm determined that I'll eventually have one in the collection, but I have a sneaking suspicion that when I do it'll quickly become my "daily driver" so I want one that'll keep going for  along time.

Actually, I think it was, just as is usually the case with Bugs & Daffy, the missing of that left turn at Albuquerque which resulted in my poor Ex-NASA 2465 meeting up with me, and its ensuing misadventures.  :-DD

My experience has shown me that what you're hoping for is pretty much a unicorn; unless you somehow earn Ifni's favor and get one that's been maintained then immediately winds up in the hands of somebody who doesn't know what they have. These 'scopes are the sort of gear that you DON'T want to find "sitting untouched in a box in a closet for 30 years"; they're livestock and sitting unused is as detrimental to them as being used carelessly. If I were going to hope for that kind of luck, I'd save it for a lottery ticket. ;)

While I bought the one above and another one pretty cheap, it was as parts units intending to use them to fix my 2465 that was spoils of a prior corporate gig. I took it in lieu of a performance bonus that was worth far less than it was at the time as it was then in near-pristine condition.  8)

If you merely want one in working condition, that's possible to find as cheap as a few hundred dollars; but if you want one that you KNOW works correctly, be prepared to buy two or more and kit-bash. Then you'll need to pay a small fortune for alignment and calibration; part of which, according to the Tek Service manuals, requires a calibrated 2465 to complete.  :o There are several common failure modes which require replacing boards that alter calibration, which of course is by far the more expensive part of the acquisition process.

There are a few vendors on fleaBay who've earned a rep for offering healthy, ready-to-use 2465s with proper alignment and fresh calibration after replacing the EAROM battery; but those are typically offered in the $700-1000 range or more.

Stackable Banana Belt
+5 conductivity
+2 fashionability

I've done similarly more than a few times with a bit of Cat5... to quote my momma: "The universal warrior uses all weapons at his disposal."

Cheers,

mnem
Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?!?  :wtf:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 03:46:28 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #8468 on: March 12, 2018, 05:54:15 pm »
Yep, no problem. It made sense since you had posted before Brumby's NSA. I've added them both with the aforementioned adjustments.

A dream realized.  ^-^

Cool :-+

You worded it wonderfully by the way.  :-+ I definitely have symptoms of both.

Thanks. I'm not sure if it's a good thing that the end result is that you now have both. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8469 on: March 12, 2018, 06:10:17 pm »

Thanks. Since we're not limiting the acquisition of test equipment, no sense limiting the maladies associated with the process. ;D

Hmm, perhaps you're attributing too much value to this thread. Surely your contributions to the forum are of greater value to the community than either this thread or its glossary.

Then again, you could just go get some new gear and post a teardown of it. ;D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8470 on: March 12, 2018, 06:45:04 pm »
Anyone want some vintage HP / Harrison love for merely £20? Kidderminster U.K. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F372244093265

Slightly tempted but it kicks out less zats than my switcher. If the heating buggers up again it’s be a good investment.

If it was a B Rev with binding posts I’d be on it.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8471 on: March 12, 2018, 10:15:02 pm »
does this count as POS?

apparently the bubbleheads did not  want anyone to steal their counter.

USS Baltimore (SSN-704), a Los Angeles-class submarine, was the sixth ship of the United States Navy to be named for Baltimore, Maryland. The contract to build her was awarded to the Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics Corporation in Groton, Connecticut on 31 October 1973 and her keel was laid down on 21 May 1979. She was launched on 13 December 1980 sponsored by Congresswoman Marjorie S. Holt, and commissioned on 24 July 1982 with Captain Michael D. Bradley in command. The vessel's logo was "From Sails to Atoms," as inscribed on the ships original plaque.
Baltimore was decommissioned and stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 10 July 1998. Ex-Baltimore is scheduled to be disposed of through the Nuclear Powered Ship and Submarine Recycling Program in Bremerton, Washington.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ, neo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8472 on: March 12, 2018, 10:24:43 pm »
POS, NSA and Nixies in one fell swoop. Impressive.

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8473 on: March 13, 2018, 08:33:26 pm »
In case you missed it, this thread is now #2 by number of replies. :o :popcorn:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8474 on: March 13, 2018, 08:34:46 pm »
In case you missed it, this thread is now #2 by number of replies. :o :popcorn:
Yes, get in!
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf