Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14823052 times)

mnementh and 174 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #9525 on: April 22, 2018, 08:31:46 am »
Interestingly when I was provisioning my test desktop last week, I tried chucking windows 10 on it but it got it's ass in a knot and refused to run updates in.

Ergo, I just chucked xubuntu on it. Used it as my main workstation desktop for the week and it was marvelous. I spent most of my time connected to Linux machines you see. Faster than all my other workstations running windows, even though the thing is an ancient Core 2 E7500 with only 4Gb of RAM plus a Samsung 750 SSD.

Well, ... yes.

As I tell salesmen with Windoze only software, "I run Linux because I'm not clever enough to run Windows". They usually chuckle and, after a pause when they see I'm not making a joke, I ask them about what's necessary to ensure the machine isn't "owned", will it run DOS/XP software, what should I do when MS refuses to let me put in a new hard disk (despite having all the magic numbers), what should I do when (not if) MS forces an update at a critical time (and the update bricks the machine) etc etc.

They've stopped smiling when I finally point out that I have zero such problems with Linux machines.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9526 on: April 22, 2018, 09:03:01 am »
Yep exactly that. I mentioned this in another thread already today but I work on a concept of "functional idempotency". If I do the same thing over and over again I expect the same result. I don't want to see an odd HRESULT appear, I don't want to see a hang, I don't want to have a customer feedback thing pop up, I don't want to have to call in an activation code, I don't want to have to sign in to use my software suddenly, I don't want something to try and be helpful, I don't want something with no source code to go out of support, I don't want to rewrite the universe every 5 years, I don't want to be at the whims of a marketing driven shite-monger.

What I do want to do is write problem description down, solve it and go and do something more interesting like meddling around inside old test gear :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9527 on: April 22, 2018, 09:36:02 am »
Yep exactly that. I mentioned this in another thread already today but I work on a concept of "functional idempotency". If I do the same thing over and over again I expect the same result. I don't want to see an odd HRESULT appear, I don't want to see a hang, I don't want to have a customer feedback thing pop up, I don't want to have to call in an activation code, I don't want to have to sign in to use my software suddenly, I don't want something to try and be helpful, I don't want something with no source code to go out of support, I don't want to rewrite the universe every 5 years, I don't want to be at the whims of a marketing driven shite-monger.

What I do want to do is write problem description down, solve it and go and do something more interesting like meddling around inside old test gear :)
Will Linux run normal software designed for Windows or does it demand its own programs to run it? I f Ave always fancied playing around with it but been put off by the prospect of having to replace all my software?

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9528 on: April 22, 2018, 09:39:40 am »
If you try it don’t expect replacements. When in Rome, do as Romans do.

Best thing is to boil a frog slowly so pick a task and work out how to do it and move over slowly. The most disappointment comes from hitting a wall and blaming it on Linux rather than the knowledge disparity.

Try it in a virtual machine first :)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #9529 on: April 22, 2018, 11:18:36 am »

Will Linux run normal software designed for Windows or does it demand its own programs to run it?

Yes, repeat no.

Quite a few programs run under WINE (e.g. DesignSpark schematic+PCB CAD (v6 at least!)), quite a few have Linux variants (e.g. Xilinx FPGA CAD, OpenOffice), quite a few have usable equivalents, some don't work.

I keep WinXP going in a VM which works for many recalcitrant vendors.

So far I've found one program I need to run under Win7 - the eval software for the TI LMX2591 15GHz synthesised source. Fortunately I have a discarded laptop for that.

Of course, if you believe MS, you'll soon be able to run your Linux programs in Windows :)

I f Ave always fancied playing around with it but been put off by the prospect of having to replace all my software?

You can always try a LiveCD (slow, of course), or install it as a dual-boot or in a VM (faster). If you dual boot then the linux programs can "see" your Win data, but not vice versa.

Expect there to be a learning and unlearning curve.

Examples of the latter:
  • don't need to worry about rooting your machine with an antivirus package
  • don't worry about upgrades: upgrade in the background (inc kernel) while continuing to do your work, no forced reboots, easy reversion to earlier kernels
  • try different o/s versions on your existing data (install o/s each on a separate partition, and choose which to run each time you reboot)

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Sent from a real machine, so any mistakes are mine.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9530 on: April 22, 2018, 12:15:48 pm »
The thing with Win7 is that it takes some time to get it working correctly. If you'd opened Device Manager you'd have seen load of questions marks and yellow highlights IIRC. The trick here is to open the properties tab for each of and "disable" them all apart from 1. Do a reboot and give it a few minutes and check Device Manager again and normally the device has been installed correctly if the right driver exists on the PC. Then repeat for other problems and you'd expect to see most of them install perfectly except for the ones like graphic drivers because your device is newer so Win7 could not possibly have the drivers built in. It is normally as simple as that, too many devices to install at once confuses it, but even then if your patient with it and allow it some time, it will sort most out for you after a few reboots.

So, to get some software installed one has to go through a mindless, boring, repetitive task. If only there was something that was good at doing mindless, boring, repetitive tasks - oh yeah, software is good at doing mindless, boring, repetitive tasks.

Do you ever get the feeling that we've lost our way ...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #9531 on: April 22, 2018, 12:30:39 pm »
I don't know if it counts as woodworking, but ship modelling needs a lathe and a 3 inch long plane so I sort of think it does count.
Took me about 2 years - working 1-2 hrs 3-4x/week (while the kids were asleep). Hardest parts are planking the hull (each plank laid individually & boring) and the knot tying (so many knots and fiddly). Completed in about 2003. It is one of the few hobbies where drinking alcohol actually helps (reduces tremor) :-+
Dimensions L~700mm, H~500mm, W~250mm, Wt ~1kg
Apologies for the photo - but it is in a glass case and hard to get out.

Rob, that's awesome! I've got a model plane in my queue that I haven't yet started, but it's nowhere near that level of detail.
Thanks,
I am not sure if it really shows how OCD I really am! :)
I am thinking about doing the ship in the bottle thing (for the last 15yrs) haven't quite got there yet!
Just recently I picked up a watch repair kit for a lark, and have had a little success with some of the multiple (cheap) watches my daughters seem to be able to break (along with iPhones).
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline BillB

• Supporter

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9533 on: April 22, 2018, 01:53:06 pm »
Hahahahaha A for effort on that seller.

Currently building my new £10 from eBay bench. Mrs bd139 has the look of regret to agreeing with the whole idea.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9534 on: April 22, 2018, 02:13:19 pm »
My eBay scripts found a bargain!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302711136546

Price Reduced!  Seller added some details  :-DD
Clearly labouring under the impression that "April Fools" jokes are acceptable all month long, someone going to enlighten them?  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9535 on: April 22, 2018, 02:21:45 pm »

Currently building my new £10 from eBay bench. Mrs bd139 has the look of regret to agreeing with the whole idea.

I know that look well enough, expect its a bit more industrial looking or bigger than she expected it to be, look on the bright side, at least its warmer now so sleeping in the shed is not as daunting now  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9536 on: April 22, 2018, 02:32:07 pm »
My eBay scripts found a bargain!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302711136546

Price Reduced!  Seller added some details  :-DD

This guy is good!
"The component was taken from a Mills&Boon ML5600 aphrenometer which had been kept in a sterile mastrimetry laboratory from new until it was decommissioned due to a fault in its Vincent Effect equaliser"

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9537 on: April 22, 2018, 02:38:52 pm »

I know that look well enough, expect its a bit more industrial looking or bigger than she expected it to be, look on the bright side, at least its warmer now so sleeping in the shed is not as daunting now  :-DD

Could be worse. Bear in mind this is in the living room corner. Haven't done any cabling yet but seems to work out nicely :D

Either way, not bad for a tenner and a 20 mile round trip!

Unit on the edge of the image to the left is going. Just enough room for a Tek scopemobile with a 7603 on it!  :-DD (that will never wash!)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:40:46 pm by bd139 »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #9538 on: April 22, 2018, 03:22:58 pm »
What's there to regret? Many women would kill for a solution so compact and tidy.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9539 on: April 22, 2018, 03:25:00 pm »
Give it a week.  I can trash the tidiest of things

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9540 on: April 22, 2018, 03:40:00 pm »
Maybe a nice kelim throw in pastel shades with an aspidistra or a spider plant on top would make the scope cart more palatable? You can just whip off the throw when some probing needs doing.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #9541 on: April 22, 2018, 03:45:14 pm »
Give it a week.  I can trash the tidiest of things
There's yer problem. It's not the furniture.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9542 on: April 22, 2018, 03:57:23 pm »
Maybe a nice kelim throw in pastel shades with an aspidistra or a spider plant on top would make the scope cart more palatable? You can just whip off the throw when some probing needs doing.

Camouflage. Great idea!  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9543 on: April 22, 2018, 05:40:21 pm »
Haha, sounds like you're in for some fun with the bench, camouflage is fine, just done get to carried away with the watering of the shrubbery otherwise you could have an indoor firework display as well.  :-DD

Seriously, are you going to have enough work space on it? I#m thinking that the good old dining table is still going to be pressed into service as well, especially if you have take a scope apart etc. Otherwise, what bloody great bargain for £10, I think it was originally a PC desk though?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9544 on: April 22, 2018, 05:51:30 pm »
Not sure it will be big enough or not yet. Will be fine for forward engineering. A digital scope will appear in the big gap to the right in the next few months as well. Dining table is 180 degrees away still :)

It’s an Ikea “Fredrik” workstation from circa 2002. Definitely a bargain for a tenner. Nice deep solid wood shelves which is better than all the new Ikea fartboard crap.

I actually looked for a new one but they’re all rubbish now.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9545 on: April 22, 2018, 06:11:15 pm »
Yes, quality has gone down of late. I can't believe that you're still using a 4:3 monitor, almost every man and has dog has made the move to 16:9 screens, mind you I still have mine as a back if I need,(world war 3 erupts if a part with, SWMBO gave me it as a pressie), not that its likely to be used anytime soon as I have 2 off those 16:3 monitors as I sometimes run a dual screen setup (space permitting).

I have an old Dell workstation that I salvaged that I was intending to install either Win 7 or XP on (might be Linux) so I can play all of my old games that just will not run on Win 10, even in compatibility mode so I know that MS is not all its cracked up to be, but I had to have full compatibility with MS Office 2010 and AutoCad 2011 for work purposes, so that 4:3 monitor will be used on that machine. :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9546 on: April 22, 2018, 06:17:35 pm »
I have two 4:3 Dell Ultrasharps in the office as well :). They’re much better for reading documents and doing CAD and programming on. The main drive for 16:9 is cheap panels from the TV market and it allows larger diagonal screens with less depth on a laptop. Can’t stand the things.

Plus that Lenovo monitor cost me £12 still new in box from a stock auction :)

Edit: also two wide screens side by side is a neck ache. Two 4:3s is much better.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 06:23:20 pm by bd139 »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #9547 on: April 22, 2018, 06:22:47 pm »
My old 4:3 monitor recovered from my garage  ::) , serves me really well as my SA external display, the width fits nicely too.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9548 on: April 22, 2018, 06:31:42 pm »
Wow, not bad for £12. I always thought that Cad was easier on the wider screen, particularly as I drawing up schematics for large lighting installations that also had to be sort of superimposed on the architectural drawings. Installers could then get a feel for the locations allowed for the various parts so that they had a fighting chance of getting the pre-fabricated network, sensor and switch drop leads to reach the required locations. The system used non standard protocols and connections in order to remove any on site programming / commissioning so all the hard logic had to be done by me, prior to me quoting and faithfully laid out on cad drawings for installers and building service engineers alike to work from.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9549 on: April 22, 2018, 06:35:17 pm »
I'm reading this on a 4:3 Dell Ultrasharp, which I got in it's unopened original box for £20 on top of a PC deal. I'm totally with bd139 on the suitability for docs. I have an Apple 24" studio jobby in a box somewhere, but the bloody thing is so heavy that it needs serious fixings. Still, even that is a sight more convenient than the old LaCie 24" CRT I used to have as a constant companion. Almost 2 feet deep, 3 with the hood, and was a lovely midnight blue. Had the colorimeter calibrator, too. It's been a long time since I had to arrange my work-space around that monitor, though. My knees wouldn't allow me to even move the thing these days, I doubt, even if I still had it. Erm.... so, yes, anyway, 4:3 rocks!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf