Low Cost PCB's Low Cost Components

Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 174052 times)

Specmaster, Cerebus, glarsson, Cubdriver and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #1400 on: May 13, 2017, 10:31:19 PM »
With the sockets some had built in ceramic bead decoupling capacitors across the TTL power pins ( 8,16 or 7,14), so that you could either save 0.1in in spacing on the board for the capacitor, or add it in production if you found out at the last minute you really needed that extra 0.1uF ceramic, but there was either no time to respin the board, or you were not able to bodge in one as a line assembly mod at the rear, or just needed too many to make it work. IIRC they were available in assorted values, 100n, 470n, all in a dipped 50V leaded ceramic chip capacitor. You also got just a carrier socket with the IDC terminals inside, so you could use your own special value capacitor ( you probably could fit a 10uF 16V tantalum cap in there with care) in the socket, or any other component that would fit.

I'm not sure which sockets you are referring to, since you don't quote any context (Hint: use the "quote" button top-right of a message, rather than the "reply" button)

Anyway, there were also the Rogers Micro/Q capacitors which had some electrical and size advantages. FFI see http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/22715.pdf
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Gliding aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1401 on: May 14, 2017, 12:51:35 AM »
IC sockets, thought the reference to TTL, which almost always came in a DIP14 or 16 form, was enough.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #1402 on: May 14, 2017, 02:22:10 AM »
IC sockets, thought the reference to TTL, which almost always came in a DIP14 or 16 form, was enough.

No, that's not what you wrote.

Since you still appear unable to to find the "quote" button next to the message, here's the context:

With the sockets some had built in ceramic bead decoupling capacitors across the TTL power pins ( 8,16 or 7,14), so that you could either save 0.1in in spacing on the board for the capacitor, or add it in production if you found out at the last minute you really needed that extra 0.1uF ceramic, but there was either no time to respin the board, or you were not able to bodge in one as a line assembly mod at the rear, or just needed too many to make it work. IIRC they were available in assorted values, 100n, 470n, all in a dipped 50V leaded ceramic chip capacitor. You also got just a carrier socket with the IDC terminals inside, so you could use your own special value capacitor ( you probably could fit a 10uF 16V tantalum cap in there with care) in the socket, or any other component that would fit.

I'm not sure which sockets you are referring to, since you don't quote any context (Hint: use the "quote" button top-right of a message, rather than the "reply" button)

Anyway, there were also the Rogers Micro/Q capacitors which had some electrical and size advantages. FFI see http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/22715.pdf

I've added the emphasis to make it clear that you were referring to some unknown specific sockets, since you used the definite article ("the").
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Gliding aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1403 on: May 14, 2017, 09:00:43 AM »
Have you found test equipment anywhere besides Ebay? Just curious.

Sources can vary greatly depending on where you are, time of year, state of the economy, etc. As mentioned, hamfests and swap meets have potential. Maybe flea markets, though most I've seen are consumer goods and farmers markets. Other possibilities include estate sales, government surplus, recycling centers, thrift stores, corporate/industrial liquidation sales and auctions, garage sales, and educational institutions. I've had some good scores from Craigslist, but they're rather rare. YMMV.
Some people love tea. Here, TEA is even better!

Offline HarryGT

• Contributor
« Reply #1404 on: May 14, 2017, 01:02:57 PM »
Hi all,

I am a TEA, specifically HFO. I have a condition where I decided to work for a T&M company just so I can get my daily fix. Symptoms include periodically walking around office just to look at gear, lack of concentration when in presence of gear, and occasional lots of drooling.. Has anyone experienced these symptoms?

Harry

Offline Carl_Smith

• Regular Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #1405 on: May 14, 2017, 01:22:17 PM »

Anyone currently suffering from an oscilloscope shortage need to look at this eBay listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEKTRONIX-OSCILLOSCOPES-CLEARANCE-SALE-/132182319006

Someone is clearing out a garage full of Tek scopes.  Sounds like they need work though...

I sort of feel a bit evil just posting this here.     >:D

Offline Housedad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1406 on: May 14, 2017, 01:52:40 PM »
Hi all,

I am a TEA, specifically HFO. I have a condition where I decided to work for a T&M company just so I can get my daily fix. Symptoms include periodically walking around office just to look at gear, lack of concentration when in presence of gear, and occasional lots of drooling.. Has anyone experienced these symptoms?

Harry
Not quite the same, but similar yearning.  I had shattered my right shoulder at the end  of last spring and recently finished the rehab and it still is not working without lots of pain..  Last night, I broke my other arm.   So all I could do for a while today was sit at my bench, stare at the equipment and wish.

Online Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #1407 on: May 14, 2017, 01:56:55 PM »
 I think thats going a tad far to try and curb your addiction to test equiptment, might i suggest pull the circuit breaker next time?

Offline Housedad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1408 on: May 14, 2017, 01:58:22 PM »
 :-DD  but circuit breakers are too easy to reset.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #1409 on: May 14, 2017, 02:42:59 PM »
I'm just wondering if there may have been an intervention which got a bit too physical......

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #1410 on: May 14, 2017, 02:53:48 PM »

Anyone currently suffering from an oscilloscope shortage need to look at this eBay listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEKTRONIX-OSCILLOSCOPES-CLEARANCE-SALE-/132182319006

Someone is clearing out a garage full of Tek scopes.  Sounds like they need work though...

I sort of feel a bit evil just posting this here.     >:D

Glad you appreciate that ....  :)

All I can say is that I am glad I'm not over there.  I do have a freight forwarder that I could use which is less than 50 miles from the seller, but I dare not consider the cost of shipping (even consolidated with other goods).  Those things aren't light.

It was a nice sight, though.

Online Cubdriver

• Supporter
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1411 on: May 14, 2017, 05:15:05 PM »
Yet another space heater wigglescope stowed away and followed me home today...   :-[

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-516-more-vintage-tek-for-the-herd-of-gear/

>:D >:D

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Housedad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1412 on: May 15, 2017, 03:05:51 AM »
I'm just wondering if there may have been an intervention which got a bit too physical......
My wife, my baseball bat, and my dern business!   :-DD

Offline med6753

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1413 on: May 15, 2017, 04:59:38 AM »
It figures. I said recently that Craigslist rarely has any test equipment worth checking out and this shows up:

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/ele/6114574893.html

It's similar to my B&K 2120 and while it's an "OK" scope it ain't all that great. I thinking of making an offer but quite frankly I don't have any room for it. What shall I do? Must resist!  :scared:

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #1414 on: May 15, 2017, 11:33:21 AM »
Have you found test equipment anywhere besides Ebay? Just curious.
Some bargains can be found here for US buyers:

https://www.shopgoodwill.com

There always seems to be some Tektronix scopes on auction for cheap.  Unfortunately searching for "HP" brings in gobs of computers and printers to sift through.

I haven't bought anything from them (yet).

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1415 on: May 15, 2017, 02:38:19 PM »
I had shattered my right shoulder at the end  of last spring and recently finished the rehab and it still is not working without lots of pain..  Last night, I broke my other arm.

Woah! :o A double-whammy. Hope your shoulder gets better soon, followed by the other arm.
Some people love tea. Here, TEA is even better!

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1416 on: May 15, 2017, 09:35:35 PM »
Not quite the same, but similar yearning.  I had shattered my right shoulder at the end  of last spring and recently finished the rehab and it still is not working without lots of pain..  Last night, I broke my other arm.   So all I could do for a while today was sit at my bench, stare at the equipment and wish.

Oh I missed this! Man you are hard on your body. Right now I'm wondering if you will be with us very much longer! Take it easy!
I am a Test Equipment Addict (TEA) - by virtue of this forum signature, I have now faced my addiction

Offline Housedad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1417 on: May 16, 2017, 12:27:15 AM »
Thanks, but don't worry.  My family calls me a Bumble, because I keep bouncing back from major stuff all my life.  (Yukon Cornelius called the Abominable monster a 'Bumble' on the 1964 movie Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer".   "Bumbles Bounce!")

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #1418 on: May 16, 2017, 10:38:58 AM »
My wife, my baseball bat, and my dern business!   :-DD

;D

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1419 on: May 17, 2017, 12:24:08 AM »
Interventions?
We don't need no stinking interventions...
You can still walk down the hall!
Just don't trip over computer and the 8569 parts mule...:P
Sue AF6LJ
Test Equipment Addict, And Proud Of It.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1420 on: May 17, 2017, 07:41:53 AM »
Here's the replacement fuse holder for the TM500 chassis. They came with pins sticking downward but they weren't going to line up with the PCB holes so I just clipped them off. I tinned the bottom of them, and then just melted the things onto the existing pad. Plenty good enough for spare fuse holders.
I am a Test Equipment Addict (TEA) - by virtue of this forum signature, I have now faced my addiction

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1421 on: May 20, 2017, 12:10:16 PM »
Breaking -

Bid won for only $33!  8)

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #1422 on: May 20, 2017, 12:24:55 PM »
Nice.

Only 125MHz - but 2 channels ... and for the price!

Not the sort of thing you would see in Australia.  :(

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1423 on: May 20, 2017, 01:42:07 PM »
Excellent score xrunner!  At one time I was looking for one of those modules. I bid on a few but never could get a good price. $33 is a very good price  :-+

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #1424 on: May 20, 2017, 07:03:41 PM »
400 series is fine to fill up the empty spaces between the large tube Tek scopes.

The type numbering of Tek:

400 series will fit between 500 series scopes.
300 series will fit between 400 series scopes
200 series is to close all small wholes in  the test wall finally.

greetings
Martin

greetings
Martin
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 07:06:29 PM by Martin.M »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf