Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14823712 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3075 on: October 23, 2017, 05:27:05 pm »
I was bidding on a decade resistance box today, but got saved by the ridiculous prices. Some of those boxes go for outright stupid prices.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3076 on: October 23, 2017, 05:32:11 pm »
Yeah they go for insane amounts. No idea why. They’re just some resistors and switches in a damn box.

I have taken to just soldering a pot in and then pulling it and measuring it or just using fixed values. I was going to make one but for the sake of using it once every week or two it’s not worth the time and cost.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3077 on: October 23, 2017, 05:34:14 pm »
Yeah they go for insane amounts. No idea why. They’re just some resistors and switches in a damn box.

I have taken to just soldering a pot in and then pulling it and measuring it or just using fixed values. I was going to make one but for the sake of using it once every week or two it’s not worth the time and cost.
It seems the ones with single ohm or even tenth ohm scales go for even more money. I'm not that's absolutely necessary, although single ohm would be nice.

I do already own a capacitance box, so having a resistance box should make for some filtering fun. That's pretty much my main concern, plus maybe easily stepping through values to test the multimeters.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 05:36:07 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3078 on: October 23, 2017, 05:42:25 pm »
I’ve got some 0.1% Dale RN55 resistors for DMM checks. They were a whopping £1 (about $1.25) delivered.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3079 on: October 23, 2017, 05:49:57 pm »
I’ve got some 0.1% Dale RN55 resistors for DMM checks. They were a whopping £1 (about $1.25) delivered.
Sure, there are other options. However, a lot of the additions to the lab are based on increasing comfort and speed, rather than just capabilities, and a decade resistance box fits that idea nicely.

The only regret I'm really having is not investing in proper kit sooner. I want tools that help me get the job done, rather than tools that need to be fought to get anywhere.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3080 on: October 23, 2017, 06:04:36 pm »

Yes, I've been looking for a while now but they do seem stupid amounts of money, so I'm guessing that they must be equal to or better than .05% resistors in them?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3081 on: October 23, 2017, 06:07:44 pm »
Yes, I've been looking for a while now but they do seem stupid amounts of money, so I'm guessing that they must be equal to or better than .05% resistors in them?
A lot are 0.1% or even 1%. Granted, you need a handful, it's small scale production and proper switches aren't cheap, but still. Even the Chinese ones are often close to $100.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3082 on: October 23, 2017, 07:06:29 pm »
I picked up this little beauty a while back (off the bay, natch), a bit of a cut above your average decade resistance box.

Those are hermetically sealed foil resistors inside, Vishay HPs, which are the precursor to Vishay VHPs which trip in at the £20-30 level for a single resistor. VHPs are 0.005% tolerance and alter less than 60ppm between -55C and +125C. I won't say the annoying low price I won it for for, but it didn't break 2 figures.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3083 on: October 23, 2017, 07:16:47 pm »
I picked up this little beauty a while back (off the bay, natch), a bit of a cut above your average decade resistance box.

Those are hermetically sealed foil resistors inside, Vishay HPs, which are the precursor to Vishay VHPs which trip in at the £20-30 level for a single resistor. VHPs are 0.005% tolerance and alter less than 60ppm between -55C and +125C. I won't say the annoying low price I won it for for, but it didn't break 2 figures.

Nice score! It seems that some listings get a lot of attention, and therefore go for insane prices. Unfortunately, most listings I watch lately seem to be of that type.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #3084 on: October 23, 2017, 07:23:14 pm »

Yes, how annoying (for us :) ).

The nearest I have is a 121.1ohm Dekapot (DP1311), but it has the advantage that the dials go all the way up to 11. It cost all of £10, at a local hamfest.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3085 on: October 23, 2017, 07:44:19 pm »
I just missed out on a three decade Dekapot a few weeks back.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3086 on: October 23, 2017, 07:51:01 pm »
Back from my local crap merchant and have scored another Tektronix scope, this time a 465B. This one is sick like the 475 was. Apparently people have seen it and run a mile. However it's not all that bad: the CRT is defocused and to the right and intensity doesn't work. The HT is definitely working though so that's less of a worry. Probably power supply or intensity control shot. Time will tell.  And for less than £30 again.

And thus another thread is born: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-465b-repair-97327/

Offline guido

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3087 on: October 23, 2017, 09:35:27 pm »
The 7A13 is a differential comparator with +-10V internal offset. So you can display a 10V DC signal with  1 mV/div resolution.

Those now too are on my list.  :-DD
Small correction however, you said 7804 while mine is 7704A

Keep in mind that the 7A13 is full of very Tek specific relays. With a footprint that prevents an easy replacement. Unfortunately they do fail on a regular basis, specially the double contact ones. In the old days they actually repaired them, using a Dremel to open them. I made two test jigs to test them. Seems to help if you connect them to a FG and let them switch a large number of times.

Tek 7k stuff is addictive. On the bench: 7603 with 7A22, 7A13 and 7B53A. 7623A with 7L5+TG. On cart: 7704A with 7A18, 7S11, 7T11 and 7B70. Then 5 more 7xxx mainframes as spare and a number of parts/fix-up plugins. Like another 7L5 (looking for the big knob assembly), 7A13 without relays (guess why), some more 7A..amps and a number of spare 7B53As. And one self made 7xxx extender cable. About half the mainframes have new PS caps, using adapter pcb's. I had to fix the 7704A a number of times. Bad resistors/arcing in the HV section. Primary bridge rectifier shortened and a shortened tant cap somewhere. Keeps you busy. But all easy fixes.

I have a similar list of TM5xx(x) stuff, next to the regular gear. Yep, I fit in here  :)

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #3088 on: October 24, 2017, 06:07:27 am »
I was bidding on a decade resistance box today, but got saved by the ridiculous prices. Some of those boxes go for outright stupid prices.

I am in the middle of assembling my own resistor box (seven decades, starting from 0.1 Ohms). It is not super accuate, something between 0.1 and 1% but it fits for my needs. The switches are relays and the value is directly showed with some nice red Kingsight 7-segements LEDs. The value will be set by 7 BCD rotary switches.

Yeah, I know, it is a kind of overkill and not optimal, but I like the fun in assembling it.

If you (people from the forum here) are interested, I'll show (in a separate thread) the schematics and pictures of it.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3089 on: October 24, 2017, 06:15:52 am »
Yeah, I know, it is a kind of overkill and not optimal, but I like the fun in assembling it.

That's what counts!

If you (people from the forum here) are interested, I'll show (in a separate thread) the schematics and pictures of it.

Of course! Was that a trick question? ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3090 on: October 24, 2017, 06:18:36 am »
Take a look at what's painted on the top of this Fluke 8800A. Is it a sign? :-DD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-8800A-Digital-Multimeter-Power-Tested-/232530603798

(Warning: There's a sizable chunk of the side of the case missing.)

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #3091 on: October 24, 2017, 06:23:36 am »
Of course! Was that a trick question? ;D

You'll never know ...  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3092 on: October 24, 2017, 06:24:36 am »
As long as you post the link here, all will be well. :-+

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #3093 on: October 24, 2017, 06:26:28 am »
Take a look at what's painted on the top of this Fluke 8800A. Is it a sign? :-DD

If you have ever seen "Sleepless in Seattle" then you'll know: everything could be a "sign"  ;D
(love the scene when they discussing movie scenes  ^-^ )

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3094 on: October 24, 2017, 06:55:51 am »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-8800A-Digital-Multimeter-Power-Tested-/232530603798

Haha, they even have the cheek to describe it as being in Very good cosmetic condition with no dents or dings, the sign is great though.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #3095 on: October 24, 2017, 07:35:32 am »

Haha, they even have the cheek to describe it as being in Very good cosmetic condition with no dents or dings, the sign is great though.

Well, it doesn't have any dents or dings.  They say nothing about it not having a chunk missing...   :-*  Besides, that opening helps with cooling!   ;)

(Watching for curiosity's sake, have no intention of attempting to buy it)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3096 on: October 24, 2017, 07:54:36 am »

[img]

[img]

Now that is a true beauty of a resistance box! Amazing bargain there!

I did get a set of DC-20GHz attenuators in the original wooden box with the original factory cal sheet(with data) inside in almost perfect condition for like 50 bucks. They are all N connector tho, would have preferred SMA.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3097 on: October 24, 2017, 10:21:17 am »
My 6206B is arriving today and I'm suffering from a bad case of late-stage-SAD. I came across this earlier which is a nice board game for those of you anxiously waiting for that wonderful dose of TEA to arrive. Open image in a new tab if you can't read it :)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, URI

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #3098 on: October 24, 2017, 11:31:02 am »
LOL! some of those are too painfully accurate :-) Had the issue of the driver claiming he attempted delivery when no-one was at home... BS.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3099 on: October 24, 2017, 11:34:03 am »
Yeah I caught the bastard doing that the other day. Made him go back to the van and get it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf