Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14816406 times)

K0ELB, shakalnokturn and 99 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3900 on: November 20, 2017, 09:57:59 pm »
What did you do? Did he drop the object on the salesman's head, challenging him to knock someone out with his device that easily? ;D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3901 on: November 20, 2017, 10:00:02 pm »
Story about Avos from BT Martlesham c1980...

There was a bakeoff between Avo 8s and an LCD handheld DMM. It was even stevens at the end. Then the DMM salesman threw his meter across the room, went and picked it up, and challenged the Avo salesman to either same.

Perhaps ironically that's why the ones at university didn't work. They sat on the bench top shelf and some dickhead inevitably got caught up in the test leads and yanked it off on to the bench and then the floor.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3902 on: November 20, 2017, 10:25:10 pm »
Outbid again: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112643135171

Literally on my doorstep as well. Could walk to pick it up.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #3903 on: November 20, 2017, 10:41:13 pm »
Outbid again: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112643135171

Literally on my doorstep as well. Could walk to pick it up.

I asked the vendor some questions about what happened when specific controls were tweaked. Answer came there none.

I chose not to bid :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3904 on: November 20, 2017, 10:45:41 pm »
Yeah. I did a full power supply trace based on no panel illumination and no focus and came to the conclusion that the linear half of the power supply was shot or something was shorting the rails (tants?). Easy enough to fix. HT was online which says primary switcher is working at least. Was willing to risk a duff hybrid as the stripped parts go for good money. If it blew the 5v rail fuses it would have been similar outcome to tants as well.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:56:34 pm by bd139 »

Offline guido

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3905 on: November 20, 2017, 10:50:40 pm »
D*mn! I wanted to replace my PM6680 with the PM6681.
The Timelab manual only mentions the PM6680 -will I have to keep it?!   :scared:   :-DD

I would just try it, might just work. And check the manuals if the commands are identical. Maybe the software looks for the ID response to verify that it is a 6680. If the rest of the commands is the same, you could ask John to adapt the program. I was in contact with him about my HP5371, he made some changes to the program to support it better.

Offline guido

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3906 on: November 20, 2017, 10:54:48 pm »
Might want a caesium beam standard as reference for them as well.

Only one?

:P

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3907 on: November 20, 2017, 11:05:02 pm »
Might want a caesium beam standard as reference for them as well.

Only one?

:P

You wouldn't happen to be selling one of those would you?  >:D  I just feel as if my time signal disciplined rubidium reference doesn't cut it as clock signal for an arduino project!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3908 on: November 20, 2017, 11:32:17 pm »
Yeah. I did a full power supply trace based on no panel illumination and no focus and came to the conclusion that the linear half of the power supply was shot or something was shorting the rails (tants?). Easy enough to fix. HT was online which says primary switcher is working at least. Was willing to risk a duff hybrid as the stripped parts go for good money. If it blew the 5v rail fuses it would have been similar outcome to tants as well.
You have to love the sellers grasp of the English language though, especially the written word....
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3909 on: November 20, 2017, 11:37:35 pm »
Indeed. I asked if I could collect and got the following:

hello. ok to paid on collection .regards

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3910 on: November 20, 2017, 11:38:25 pm »
Says it all...
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3911 on: November 20, 2017, 11:44:31 pm »
Hmm seems the 2645 is very rare over here but common in the States and being 4 channels, even if the other 2 are limited (like my Iwatsu) it should have netted a nice little profit once sorted, its a bummer  :-BROKE
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3912 on: November 20, 2017, 11:52:37 pm »
Yeah if you're patient and big up the marketing I reckon that was £230 in the bag at least. I put £62 down because one went the other day for £52. Wasn't willing to gamble any more cash. Only really went for it because I could collect and pay in cash (or run away quick if there was any major lies being told)

Oh meant to say. I apologise for the sin here, but the 475 and 465B are both gone now. Once I've fixed something, I tire of it quickly. Lots of cash in pocket though - enough to cover my new power supply! The 2225 is staying as my backup scope.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:54:28 pm by bd139 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3913 on: November 21, 2017, 12:01:58 am »
Not sure why. Avos are horrible things. Can't stand them. We had them in my university lab and a very annoying shortage of DMMs.
Bah, humbug !

Where else can you find something as cheap that measures 3KV ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3914 on: November 21, 2017, 12:03:16 am »
Yes, 2225 really is a nice scope although the front controls don't look all that inspiring, really spartan in appearance but that 500mV and 50 x zoom more then make up for it. Good news about the cash flow on the others, make a song and dance about it to SWMBO and ask when is she going to sell her haircut and smelly stuff for a nice profit  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3915 on: November 21, 2017, 12:05:14 am »
Not sure why. Avos are horrible things. Can't stand them. We had them in my university lab and a very annoying shortage of DMMs.
Bah, humbug !

Thats a good point, though not sure if I trust the leads and probes at that level, not the older ones anyway.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3916 on: November 21, 2017, 12:13:01 am »
Bah, humbug !

£3 DMM plus some resistors inside a bic biro full of epoxy. That was my 3kv probe for a bit. £3 DMM because I’d didn’t want to risk connecting the probe to anything of higher value.

Yes, 2225 really is a nice scope although the front controls don't look all that inspiring, really spartan in appearance but that 500mV and 50 x zoom more then make up for it. Good news about the cash flow on the others, make a song and dance about it to SWMBO and ask when is she going to sell her haircut and smelly stuff for a nice profit  :-DD

Assuming I can get that power supply to behave inside it. Fingers crossed! Caps arriving tomorrow and a very unbusy day scheduled with voice conferences so I reckon I can swap the caps out with a headset on.

Haha that subject is off limits with SWMBO now. I burned it out. Will keep the gunpowder dry next time. The funny thing is she asked if she could have some of the cash for Christmas shopping so I said no, paid it into the bank and paid it off the credit card like a good boy this proving I’m financially responsible.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3917 on: November 21, 2017, 12:42:15 am »
Please tell me your reply was "Christmas shopping? I thought that haircut was this AND next year's present."

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3918 on: November 21, 2017, 01:12:45 am »
Bah, humbug !

Thats a good point, though not sure if I trust the leads and probes at that level, not the older ones anyway.
What you must be careful of is the copycat AVO leads, easily spotted as they are stiffer PVC not the soft rubber of the originals.
Get originals and keep them clean and in good condition.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3919 on: November 21, 2017, 01:32:15 am »
Please tell me your reply was "Christmas shopping? I thought that haircut was this AND next year's present."
It certainly should have been, followed up by "What I spend on my gear is actually going to be a revenue earner, not beautification  that lasts just days"
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3920 on: November 21, 2017, 01:48:44 am »

It certainly should have been, followed up by "What I spend on my gear is actually going to be a revenue earner, not beautification  that lasts just days"
"It doesn't make a difference anyway" ;D

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #3921 on: November 21, 2017, 03:44:00 am »
Man I need to get cracking. I haven't purchased any test equipment for quite some time. I feel ashamed. Where's that Ebay link ...  :palm:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3922 on: November 21, 2017, 06:07:44 am »
Man I need to get cracking. I haven't purchased any test equipment for quite some time. I feel ashamed. Where's that Ebay link ...  :palm:

Just say what type of test gear you are in the mood for and i'm sure the nice people in here will supply the ebay links. If it says HP, Tek or Fluke on it it gets double points.

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3923 on: November 21, 2017, 06:26:30 am »

Just say what type of test gear you are in the mood for and i'm sure the nice people in here will supply the ebay links. If it says HP, Tek or Fluke on it it gets double points.

How about Keithley or Rohde & Schwarz RF gear?

+10 if you have an electrometer younger than 5 years?

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3924 on: November 21, 2017, 07:36:12 am »

How about Keithley or Rohde & Schwarz RF gear?

+10 if you have an electrometer younger than 5 years?

Ah yes those certainly qualify too. I think a SMU younger than 5 years also counts +10 points( Especially if its a Keithley)

Oh and Daves last video on the Keysight calibration lab is a good video to play "spot the instrument". I think i found it worrying how many i recognize from the front panel at a distance.... Actually two instruments that i saw there are in the process of being shipped here.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf