Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14555824 times)

K0ELB, TERRA Operative and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #6325 on: January 14, 2018, 01:30:25 am »
https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/on-ear-dj-headphone-hd25

^^^ stuff on something produced well i.e. Elizium by Fields of the Nephilim ... or The Division Bell by Pink Floyd ... then wonder why the hell you bought speakers.

Had my pair for 13 years now and haven't found anything close to them.
Yes, I had a pair of Sennheiser's the same and they are very good, but you can't walk around or do anything else when wearing them and because they are closed ear type, also block out anyone trying to talk to you or the phone ringing, or more importantly, the bloody postman ringing the doorbell to deliver more TEA toys  :-DD

I agree with the music as well, I love the Division Bell, Dark Side of the Moon, In fact most things by Pink Floyd, Genesis, Phil Collins to name a few and also really good pipe organ music as well and you get some real rib tickling Bass from a good pipe organ along with some excellent treble and mid range because unlike modern organs, pipe organs actually played the proper instruments via the keyboard as well wind through the pipe notes.

There was a famous garage in Diss, Norfolk that had their car showroom built around a massive Wurlitzer Theatre Organ http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/5092 I have had the pleasure of hearing this being played for my Mother and I a few years ago and they used to clear the cars out and put loads of chairs out and have concert days with famous organists playing the instrument, always a sell a out.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:34:22 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6326 on: January 14, 2018, 02:04:34 am »
I used to help a mate with moving band equipment to and fro from the Auckland airport to various gigs, good fun it was hanging about backstage while you waited for their gigs to finish and occasionally get to meet some of the guys.
I got called in for my HT licence and being able to handle an 8 wheeler.

Best one was for Journey when they opened for Deep Purple.
http://www.undertheradar.co.nz/gig/30711/Deep-Purple-And-Journey.utr

Got the Journey official "Roadie" tee shirt to prove it.  :)

The hours were crap and often didn't get home til 2am.

If only I'd been able to do it for Pink Floyd.  :(  :rant:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6327 on: January 14, 2018, 02:10:52 am »
Yes, Pink Floyd also had a wonderful light show as well, loads of special effects.

I can imagine how good you felt being a roadie, there something of a buzz when your so close to the action of a live group.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #6328 on: January 14, 2018, 02:24:18 am »

$12K AUD is a pretty serious amount of money for a person who is not a AudioPhool surely?

Not when you see what real audiophool's spend on a single item of equipment plus 10's of thousands on speakers and thousands on "directional cables" and other snake oil etc.

I used to have some real decent HiFi gear a few years ago but it took too much space and SWMBO objected to it every-time it was used, she hates Bass and volume, me I love it. Anyway, upshot it had to go, it just taking space, the speakers where great big Wharfedale Dovedale 3's with 12" woofers in them. So I was looking for something smaller that would give similar sound for the odd occasion I'm able to really use the power and Bass that I like.

My system was 100% bought before our 1st child came along and I had something called "disposable income".  :( Luckily my wife appreciates it despite its significant size - it helps that we have a nice big 4 bedroom Aussie house.

I found these lovely Bluetooth speaker system and no they are not Bose, I have never really liked Bose and you only have to look at the size of their speakers to understand that they could not get that sound quality without resorting to DSP trickery  with active feedback amps and the like.

Mine is branded Blaupunkt model B25BT and was specially imported by J Sainsbury's Ltd, one our big supermarket chains. The speaker system was made in China and features a 7" high compliance woofer with 2 x 2.5" mid range and 2 x 1" tweeters, measures 40CMs W x 20CMs H x 14Cms D and weighs a lot, the Bose that I have been given on the other hand only has 2 x 2" speakers and is 30CMs W x 18Cms H x 10CMs D and weighs a fraction of the Blaupunkt, guessing maybe 20 to 25% of the weight.

The Blaupunkt you can see through the vents at the back has massive amplifiers in it and heat sinks, the speakers have massive magnets on them and lightweight ferrous metal objects like coins etc gravitate to the unit if placed within a few inches of it.

Now I'm not claiming that it will be Hi-Fi but in comparison to the Bose it really sounds it, the Bose can get tiring after listening to it for long periods, as can the Blaupunkt but that does take a lot longer to get tiring. I have 2 of the Blaupunkt systems, 1 upstairs in my lab and the other in the living room which hardly gets used because SWMBO spends her time down there. So for my purposes, I'm more then happy with them, they can punch out some nice sweet sounds when I want them to and they take up so little space you hardly know their there.

I have a sound bar on the TV with a separate sub woofer and that is no match for the Blaupunkt and cost me a lot more (mind you I did get a super super deal on them, about 15% of their original cost).

Sounds like a nice little system - in my Rumpus room I run a $500 AUD Yamaha HTIB system which sounds quite good considering the price. It has a proper separate Yamaha Amp so If I want to upgrade the speakers I can.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6329 on: January 14, 2018, 02:30:57 am »
Yes, Pink Floyd also had a wonderful light show as well, loads of special effects.

I can imagine how good you felt being a roadie, there something of a buzz when your so close to the action of a live group.
Some of the music gear we handled was amazing, a few that stick in my mind was an fancy electronic grand piano and thankfully quite light for its bulk. On the other hand was amps, half the size of a Mini that needed a forklift to move.  :scared:
Yeah it was a buzz but most of the ones we did weren't as well known as Journey. I hadn't heard of them much before (my age group probably) but now whenever there's one of their songs on the radio I pick it straight away.

The buddy is part of an international syndicate:
https://www.hecargoworld.com/australasia
I went to HS with this ratbag.  ::)
There's some pics of typical stuff we handled in that link.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6330 on: January 14, 2018, 03:02:37 am »
Nice gear, the piece of gear that really caught my eye is the laser harp since I saw Jean Michel Jarre playing it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_harp

Who let Murphy in?

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #6331 on: January 14, 2018, 03:11:33 am »
I remember when the standard test was to play "Dark Side of the Moon".

Yea buddy!  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6332 on: January 14, 2018, 03:43:22 am »
Nice gear, the piece of gear that really caught my eye is the laser harp since I saw Jean Michel Jarre playing it.
Interesting technology, one I guess is in its infancy and will be developed some.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #6333 on: January 14, 2018, 05:29:07 am »
Well, it won't arrive by the 16th, but I snagged a crusty-looking HP 3310A, in unknown functional condition, for fun. Hopefully, the seemingly missing bits on some of the lettering are just spots of cruft on the surface.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #6334 on: January 14, 2018, 06:34:36 am »
Well, it won't arrive by the 16th, but I snagged a crusty-looking HP 3310A, in unknown functional condition, for fun. Hopefully, the seemingly missing bits on some of the lettering are just spots of cruft on the surface.

:-+ :-+

On the one I have, the lettering on both the dial and the panel is engraved, so it shouldn't be too difficult to fix if some of the fill paint is gone.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #6335 on: January 14, 2018, 07:03:32 am »
Yeah, I saw some others that were engraved, too. This one probably is as well, I just couldn't quite tell from the photo. I'll know in a week or so.

Oh! And it's got its badge. :popcorn:
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #6336 on: January 14, 2018, 08:35:44 am »
Departed country of origin

2018-01-14 07:20:13 [GMT+8]

Shipment accepted by airline

2018-01-12 09:59:00 [GMT+8]

Might need to go buy some local dodgy TEA anniversary test gear as well in case it doesn't arrive 8)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #6337 on: January 14, 2018, 08:46:32 am »
I remember when the standard test was to play "Dark Side of the Moon".
Not sure why. You want something recorded with slightly more modern kit if you ask me.

At the time it was recorded on modern kit.

Some of the later remasters aren't that good IMHO.

I've never found a remaster that I've liked, other than a simple transcription of the original - i.e. AAD for us oldies.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6338 on: January 14, 2018, 09:02:53 am »
... the speakers where great big Wharfedale Dovedale 3's with 12" woofers in them.

They are good; my father and I bought them new, and they are still at my parent's house. Shame my ears are so crap now :(

However, even moderate headphones of that era were likely to give better sound.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6339 on: January 14, 2018, 09:12:43 am »
... the speakers where great big Wharfedale Dovedale 3's with 12" woofers in them.

They are good; my father and I bought them new, and they are still at my parent's house. Shame my ears are so crap now :(

However, even moderate headphones of that era were likely to give better sound.
My mother had the dovedale sp version which used 2 woofers that had foam suspension on them, sounded OK but the suspension just crumbled to powder after a few years, mine were as good as new because they had tried and tested rubber suspension.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #6340 on: January 14, 2018, 10:29:06 am »
Re Old Style "HiFi" speakers (sounds so corny to use that term now) I still have 4 of the Richard Allan HP12B Super bass drivers - a pair mounted are in my "good" vented / reflex speaker boxes. To me good bass needs mass - I promised myself one day I would build a pair of concrete speaker boxes. >:D

I have been restrained for a while - got Dave's new 121GW - solid little unit and really accurate .
I got a fully working HP 3245A with 2nd channel, with spare DC cards x2, spare logic board and power supply boards all for $500 AUS! :-+
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6341 on: January 14, 2018, 10:50:48 am »
As a kid I remember dad having an interest in quality sound and he'd made a pair of floor standing upright reflex units from T&G timber with 8" Wharfedales and fed them with a Tripletone 5+5. When he saw the hiding we gave them as teenagers he got a locally made Sonophone 20+20. We hammered that harder and blew a 12" woofer.  :-DD

I laugh now but it was no laughing matter at the time.  :horse:

The only online pics of the Tripletone aren't quite the right ones, it was a two piece amp, the main chassis was to be in a cabinet and the control box with inputs was on an umbilical cord.
This amp looks right, ECC83's for preamp and drivers and EL84's for outputs

The control box looked like this but only half the depth and included a ECC83 preamp stage.
All but the source selector where dual pots, not ganged.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 11:01:25 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6342 on: January 14, 2018, 10:55:37 am »
Re Old Style "HiFi" speakers (sounds so corny to use that term now) I still have 4 of the Richard Allan HP12B Super bass drivers - a pair mounted are in my "good" vented / reflex speaker boxes. To me good bass needs mass - I promised myself one day I would build a pair of concrete speaker boxes. >:D

I have been restrained for a while - got Dave's new 121GW - solid little unit and really accurate .
I got a fully working HP 3245A with 2nd channel, with spare DC cards x2, spare logic board and power supply boards all for $500 AUS! :-+
I remember when I purchased my Dovedales, they came from a shop in Brent Cross Shopping Centre, Hendon, London, which was a good shop called Laskys if anybody remembers them? Anyway I took along a LP of Pipe Organ music to demo the speakers with and when sales assistant connected them up and played the disc, nearly everyone in the shop sort of gathered around the demo room listening, which was about a dozen or so customers and several asked if they could also buy some of those speakers, haha. Hard luck for them as they had been discontinued prior to the launch of the SP's and I had read a review on the the 3s and searched around all the local shops within a 70 mile radius trying to locate some and found that Laskys had 1 set left so I reserved them.

Needless to say after that demo, I snapped them up and chucked in the back of my lorry and drove them home, I have enjoyed those speakers for over 40 years before I reluctantly parted with them, happy days...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:57:27 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6343 on: January 14, 2018, 11:20:56 am »
I remember them. Also remember Brent Cross had a big fountain in it back then.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6344 on: January 14, 2018, 11:23:47 am »
I remember when I purchased my Dovedales, they came from a shop in Brent Cross Shopping Centre, Hendon, London, which was a good shop called Laskys if anybody remembers them?

I remember Laskys in Tottenham Ct Rd (10 yards from 2nd hand electronics shops like Birkett http://www.zyra.org.uk/birkett.htm ). At that time Brent Cross was only a dream in someone's eyes.

I never thought of Laskys as good. It was there I first encountered items advertised that could not be bought, coupled with salesman that would say anything to get you to buy what they did have in stock. And when they saw they couldn't bamboozle you, they moved on to the next punter.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6345 on: January 14, 2018, 11:23:55 am »
I remember them. Also remember Brent Cross had a big fountain in it back then.
Indeed it did, right in the centre by Dixons IIRC and Laskys was right at the end of towards the carpark and next door to Fenwicks dept store?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6346 on: January 14, 2018, 11:28:02 am »
That’s the one. I remember watching someone’s kid fall in while being a dick. It put me off being a parent for a long while :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6347 on: January 14, 2018, 11:31:26 am »
I remember Laskys in Tottenham Ct Rd (10 yards from 2nd hand electronics shops like Birkett http://www.zyra.org.uk/birkett.htm ). At that time Brent Cross was only a dream in someone's eyes.

I never thought of Laskys as good. It was there I first encountered items advertised that could not be bought, coupled with salesman that would say anything to get you to buy what they did have in stock. And when they saw they couldn't bamboozle you, they moved on to the next punter.
I remember that shop as well, on 2 floors and had in effect 4  or 5 shop fronts and was right on the corner of Tottenham Court Road and Stephen Street. Back then Tottenham Court Road was renowned for its wealth of Hi-Fi shops and technical gadget shops as well. I was a regular visitor to that street and there was a few stragglers just round in Oxford Street as well IIRC
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6348 on: January 14, 2018, 11:33:15 am »
That’s the one. I remember watching someone’s kid fall in while being a dick. It put me off being a parent for a long while :-DD
Why, for fear of having a child that behaved like a dick  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6349 on: January 14, 2018, 11:37:39 am »
Why, for fear of having a child that behaved like a dick  :popcorn:

Yes. The default state of kids is being a dick so you have to work that out of them over years. Case in point, my 5 year old is told not to walk on the furniture because of the fall risk. She fell off and smashed her teeth through one of her lips last month. Stopped doing it instantly with the “I told you so” routine. Walked in yesterday and she’s standing on the fucking window sill  :palm: ... other two weren’t wallies fortunately and have survived into teenage years.

Happens to be the same for employees. Don’t hold the soldering iron on the hot bit. Yes I have seen that  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf