Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14880513 times)

Sariel and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #6600 on: January 24, 2018, 06:21:01 am »
We used to have a sporty Honda N360 in the family 0-80km/hr with 2 people in quite a while  ;D

I needed a DC load so I brought this because my current four variable power supplies are not sufficient  >:D

AC calibrator will have to wait for more doughnuts........

[img]

Got the dynamic version of that(Same thing except it can update its output at 100KS/s). Very useful as a small dummy load if you don't mind the noisy fan.

The UI could be better on it but that's the case for most of these HP rack mount PSU things. But at least here you get a nice VFD display.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6601 on: January 24, 2018, 06:33:39 am »
My HP 6632A and 6632B are my favorite PSUs (Don’t ask how many PSUs I have... ::) )

The loud fan can easily be swapped out for a quiet, temp controlled fan.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #6602 on: January 24, 2018, 06:44:18 am »
I was aware of the fan but I have a couple of fairly loud fridge compressors in the shack already so it is bound to be quiet  :o

How many power supplies is enough always one more than you have  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6603 on: January 24, 2018, 09:29:22 am »
My HP 6632A and 6632B are my favorite PSUs (Don’t ask how many PSUs I have... ::) )

I did have mine open cause it needed a repair when i got it. But i found that the heatsink is pretty small with a small fan and even with that fan it was getting pretty warm already so i decided not to do anything with the fan.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6604 on: January 24, 2018, 11:55:50 am »

I did have mine open cause it needed a repair when i got it. But i found that the heatsink is pretty small with a small fan and even with that fan it was getting pretty warm already so i decided not to do anything with the fan.

I’ve had good luck using these fans. I see the price has more than doubled though (I last paid $8 for one in 2014). They are very quiet -even when the RPMs ramp up under load.. Admitedly, I don’t highly stress my PSUs with prolonged high power output or prolonged current sinking. And ambient temps in my lab remain cool.

IIRC, the heat sinks in those supplies looked pretty hefty to me, though I suppose it’s all relative. I suspect those HP PSUs are built to withstand very prolonged max loads in an industrial environment, so my feeling has been that there’s plenty of temperature management headroom in the design and little danger that my hobby use will cause problems even if my quiet fan solution does keep things as consistently cool as the OEM fan. I hate loud fans!  So far so good.... 8)

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #6605 on: January 24, 2018, 02:31:11 pm »

I had a '63 Rambler in powder blue (I think they ALL were made in that color that year) as a teen... I wish mine was anywhere near as nice as Hollywood Bob's example there. Then several of the Japanese "Bubble car", the first-gen Honda Civic in yellow, green and blue. Both had similar performance characteristics, with the Hondas having something that could actually be called "handling". The Rambler was like driving a wet noodle at highway speeds. ;)

Call that Honda Civic a bubble car?, we call them city cars, here's what a real bubble car looks like, mine was the same colour as this and yep, you got in and out through the only door, the front door and I bet I looked a real tool in that as well seeing as I'm 6ft 4" tall.  >:D

Oh, a friend of mine when I was growing up in Pittsburgh had an Izetta; damn thing always made this loud POP! at the steering dooflinky when he opened the door. It was positively comical. When you said bubble car, I thought you were referring to my Nash Rambler quote... you know, from the "Beep-Beep!" song. I figured "bubble car" was a localism. Compared to the Honda (1st Gen Civics were small enough to put in the back of a regular pickup truck... I've done it) my Rambler was positively spacious;especially since it was a convertible.

I also had an AMC Gremlin, and a Pacer... the "Goldfish Bowl" car.  :o

Not sure about what you're saying with the faceplates... looks like the same faceplate only appearing slightly different due to parallax and vanishing point perspective. KSGER DOES appear to make a number of different custom faceplates for their various boards, yes. But you can for sure use the larger bezel for pretty much any of them; the display can be relocated with the addition of just 4 wires.

OK, the windows do line up but the text? draw a line along the window edges through all of the plates and you'll see wait I mean, the lines dissect the text at different points on each plate.

The text is different on the black faceplate, and a different font. Now it's actually Mental. :P

Longer reach is a good start, but diameter is important too... you know, for a snug fit.  :-DD

Go careful with the diameter, its not important in real terms, too snug and it wont fit all, then you're screwed  :-DD

That's what condoments are for.  :-DD  I prefer lubricated for such occasions, and a little libation and relaxing music. Be brave; as long as you go slow, you'll make it all the way home.  ;)

mnem
*Pulls up a lawn chair for SM's mind in the gutter next to my cooler full of Pina Coladas*
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:10:41 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6606 on: January 24, 2018, 04:06:33 pm »

Oh, a friend of mine when I was growing up in Pittsburgh had an Izetta, damn thing always made this loud POP! at the steering dooflinky when he opened the door; was positively comical. When you said bubble car, I thought you were referring to my Nash Rambler quote... you know, from the "Beep-beep" song. I figured "bubble car" was a localism. Compared to the Honda (1st Gen Civics were small enough to put in he back of a regular pickup truck... I've done it) my Rambler was positively spacious;especially since it was a convertible.

I also had an AMC Gremlin, and a Pacer... the "Glodfish Bowl" car.  :o

We Brits thought the Beep Beep song was about a true bubble car, Isetta  :-DD

That's what condoments are for.  :-DD  I prefer lubricated for such occasions, and a little libation and relaxing music. Be brave; as long as you go slow, you'll make it all the way home.  ;)

I don't think I have the patience to go slow, its like a baseball game, you need to get all the way home as quickly as possible before time runs out  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6607 on: January 24, 2018, 08:05:25 pm »
I could probably just about get my fat arse into that thing; if I took my phone out of my pocket. With my bum knee, not so sure about getting back out.  :o

Too many guys think it's a race when in fact there is no more important place to take your time. If she's not done, you're not done. ;)

mnem
I lick my wife very much. Among other things.

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6608 on: January 24, 2018, 08:09:06 pm »
Didn’t think I’d have time for TEA but conveniently another Tek 465 has made itself available on my travels. This one has a veritable pile of probes with it and is apparently dead although I have my suspicions that the seller doesn’t know how to use it. Fingers crossed  ;)

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6609 on: January 24, 2018, 08:43:05 pm »
[RANDOM MODE]

[/RANDOM MODE]

mnem
 :wtf:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6610 on: January 24, 2018, 08:44:54 pm »
Didn’t think I’d have time for TEA but conveniently another Tek 465 has made itself available on my travels. This one has a veritable pile of probes with it and is apparently dead although I have my suspicions that the seller doesn’t know how to use it. Fingers crossed  ;)
That one looks to be in good shape as well, its even got proper Tek probes, trigger selection is set to norm and does not seem to have selected a channel anywhere so you could be onto a bloody winner there, will this one actually be the one that you drag to the grave or a do a upper and seller?  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6611 on: January 24, 2018, 08:48:04 pm »
[RANDOM MODE]

[/RANDOM MODE]

mnem
"Hey buddy, how do I get this thing outa 1st gear" is more like it  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6612 on: January 24, 2018, 08:55:46 pm »
That one looks to be in good shape as well, its even got proper Tek probes, trigger selection is set to norm and does not seem to have selected a channel anywhere so you could be onto a bloody winner there, will this one actually be the one that you drag to the grave or a do a upper and seller?  :-+

Yep that’s what I noticed as well. It won’t sweep unless it’s in auto or has a trigger event so hopefully all good. Worst case it’s mostly working, probably HT down which is repairable easy enough. This is going to be a keeper. I’m getting rid of the rigol (its up on eBay now) as I use the 2225 more than it. Figured I’d risk it as I’m out Southampton way later in the week anyway. Went for way under what I put in as max bid :)

Also watching a 475. If I land both of them I’ll get rid of the 2225 as well. That’ll give me enough room in the new house for a 7000 mainframe you see :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6613 on: January 24, 2018, 08:58:52 pm »

Yep that’s what I noticed as well. It won’t sweep unless it’s in auto or has a trigger event so hopefully all good. Worst case it’s mostly working, probably HT down which is repairable easy enough. This is going to be a keeper. I’m getting rid of the rigol (its up on eBay now) as I use the 2225 more than it. Figured I’d risk it as I’m out Southampton way later in the week anyway. Went for way under what I put in as max bid :)

Also watching a 475. If I land both of them I’ll get rid of the 2225 as well. That’ll give me enough room in the new house for a 7000 mainframe you see :)
He does say that he drives to West London as well, so you may be able to meet him there with it?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6614 on: January 24, 2018, 09:24:13 pm »
Will go and get it. Never been to Hayling Island so will be interesting as well :)

Offline Kilo Tango

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6615 on: January 24, 2018, 09:45:04 pm »

I actually sent him a question earlier on sugggesting he press the beam finder and change to auto, but he said no joy.  :'(

Best of luck,

Ken

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6616 on: January 24, 2018, 09:53:49 pm »
Good to know. It’ll probably be C1419 gone short then and popped F1419 then. Ridiculously common problem in 465/475 scopes. Also lines up with panel indications in the photos.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6617 on: January 24, 2018, 10:06:51 pm »

I actually sent him a question earlier on sugggesting he press the beam finder and change to auto, but he said no joy.  :'(

Best of luck,

Ken
I don't know about Tek scopes that well but I don't think it would have made any difference as the trigger input selector would still be in the Norm position but on my scopes unless the trigger source is switched to a channel I get no beam, even if beam finder is pressed. That said, I don't have a Norm position on the trigger source either so I may be wrong on that one. :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6618 on: January 24, 2018, 10:08:38 pm »
It’s possible either way.

Part of the fun is finding out.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6619 on: January 24, 2018, 10:33:11 pm »
Yep, you're correct there, personally I can't wait to find out if its a goer or not, but no doubt either way it get a full recap as per normal?

I picked up a couple of Sky+HD boxes today ripped them apart to recycle the hard drives, both of them internally looked like they were brand new to me, the fans never had a speck of dust on them, quite possible if I had Sky that they would have worked  :-+ Impossible now of course because I've been harvesting any usable parts in them, netted myself quite bit so far and still have a couple boards to go yet, plenty of surface mount IC's, push buttons, Caps, LEDS and sockets and headers etc plus of course 2 new 500GB SATA drives. Just sort of kicking my heels at the moment awaiting the parts for that 30" monitor so I can reclaim the full bench in order to continue with my other projects.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6620 on: January 24, 2018, 10:51:38 pm »
Of course.  I’ve got leftovers from the last three I did still :)

It’s made by Sky. Probably never worked to start with. They’re all reference Broadcom designs which are cost cut. Disks are probably good though.

Offline Kilo Tango

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6621 on: January 24, 2018, 10:57:54 pm »
I spent a year fixing the model before those. Used a STM chip and they wouldn't tell us how it worked  :'(  enter the shotgun approach to fixing them.

And as for "dodgy cap" amstrad  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Ken

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6622 on: January 24, 2018, 11:09:30 pm »
Of course.  I’ve got leftovers from the last three I did still :)

It’s made by Sky. Probably never worked to start with. They’re all reference Broadcom designs which are cost cut. Disks are probably good though.
Yes, drives are Seagate's and have formatted and checked, their OK so in Daves words, winner winner, chicken dinner.

They were on Freecycle and I remembered that Dave has grabbed these before and liberated the drives so I did the same and not for the first time either, built myself a nice little raid system from them and use it as a network storage for iTunes which is available throughout the house but I'm the only person who uses it, oh well.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6623 on: January 24, 2018, 11:14:48 pm »
I spent a year fixing the model before those. Used a STM chip and they wouldn't tell us how it worked  :'(  enter the shotgun approach to fixing them.

And as for "dodgy cap" amstrad  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Ken
Well these wont be fixed anytime soon  :-DD Normally I wouldn't bother with caps but these were Rubicons and I've never had a bad experience with them, haven't got all that many out of them though as its all the crappy lead free shit and it's a bastard to suck out or to wick away, plus the many of the leads have been folded flat and trimmed making them nearly impossible to extract intact, so if they come out easy, fine otherwise leaving them in.  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6624 on: January 25, 2018, 02:45:27 am »
It’s possible either way.

Part of the fun is finding out.

That's what SHE said... *Ba-Dump-Bump*  >:D

[RANDOM MODE]

[/RANDOM MODE]

mnem
"Hey buddy, how do I get this thing outa 1st gear" is more like it  :-DD

Not even sure it HAS gears... looks to me like a monstrous cogged belt on the side there. Hey; can't be any worse a "Sports car" than the Honda S500; that thing had chain drive.

mnem
Pants are highly overrated.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf