Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14915777 times)

m k, opabob and 258 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #8725 on: March 21, 2018, 02:37:52 pm »
IMHO, if its green it ain't food, it's just what food eats. :-DD

When I was a kid, I was a vegetarian... I decided I didn't want to eat anything with a face. Besides, I loved PBJs. As I grew up, I decided otherwise; I couldn't make a passable lasagna without pork italian sausage, and I missed BLTs.

As a grumpy ol dwagon, I'm more like... "I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat wabbit food... wabbits MAYBE if there's nothing else, but not wabbit food."  :-DD

swmbo once tried to feed me "beans on toast" and claimed it was a real thing back home.

come on......she made that up.....right?

Nope, I used to eat Campbell's pork and beans on white toast as a teenager( over 40 years ago), didn't even heat up the beans, right out of the can.  I would put a slice of american cheese on them and put them in the toaster oven until the cheese melted and browned.

Closest I ever came to that was cold spaghetti sandwiches on cold buttered toast... leftover toast was a "thing" in my family; we'd literally make a loaf of bread into buttered toast on purpose to have leftovers for the rest of the day.  :P

Well, wait... I take that back... even though I'm a Damn Yankee polock born in new York City ( "NEW YORK CITY!!!" *Cue snorts of disgust* ) I come from Southern heritage; and I do love me some flaky biscuits and black-eyed peas with frizzled ham. That's good for breakfast, or refried over leftover biscuits or cold toast for lunch.

Or not because my oven is broken :(

Please don't talk about any food which involves oven cooking as I'm missing it :'( . New oven on Thursday.

You're an engineer. Stop whining and MacGyver something.

How many PSUs have you got? Or boatanchors?

Reminded me of

LOL... when I was still a young fart, I was always modding things... made a 96V battery pack out of lead-acid alarm batteries to power an electric impact in the boneyard, and made a '78 1-ton Dodge wrecker run on a brand-new '96 fuel-injected engine by pulling the entire wiring harness from the donor truck and melding it into the wrecker's wiring harness. My friends all called me MacGyver; it was a running joke with them to see "What's gonna get Macgyver-fied next!"

Ahhh, memories... I miss the days when I only prostituted my genius for my own purposes...

You guys haven't lived until you have had a 'pie floater'; a tradition in my state - typically consumed at around 3AM coming home from a night out - still 'motoring' (if you know what I mean). Sold by a mobile food van that only works from 2400 to 0800 Fri and Sat nights
A pastry and meat pie floating in pea soup topped with tomato sauce (ketchup) :-+

So... it's SUPPOSED to look like a turd floating in a bucket o' barff?

Fucks sake. Never hire an "electrician". Use those TEA skills to do it yourself:

"Loose wire. Put it back on. Oven work! Ug!"

Suspect! So I go a-poking and find this:

Fucking switch is burned and to fix it they just stuffed it on another pole. Now the thing doesn't work properly apart from on the small case of "oven get hot! Ug!"

You know a shit electrician when they have to go back to the car to get their DMM.

Zero service info available saying what the correct wiring is. Switch is 40 quid which is not end of world. FFFFFS

You Got Red Greene-ified!!!

You probably could fix it by cleaning the contacts on that switch element and then using that pin to trigger whatever random relay you might have lying around. You'd need a rectifier and a ballast resistor in the coil circuit to keep it from buzzing and limit current. Then it'd be MacGyver-fied!  :-DD

You know, just so you can make lasagna until a new part arrives. ;)

Have spoken to supplier. They're just going to replace it :D

But where's the FUN in THAT?  :-DD

mnem
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, nixiefreqq

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8726 on: March 21, 2018, 02:39:34 pm »
Also... 350 pages!!! Holy BLEEP!ing BLEEP!crackers, guyzz!

mnem
That is all.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #8727 on: March 21, 2018, 02:55:43 pm »
Also... 350 pages!!! Holy BLEEP!ing BLEEP!crackers, guyzz!

175 if you display 100 replies/page :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8728 on: March 21, 2018, 03:29:23 pm »
You guys haven't lived until you have had a 'pie floater'; a tradition in my state - typically consumed at around 3AM coming home from a night out - still 'motoring' (if you know what I mean). Sold by a mobile food van that only works from 2400 to 0800 Fri and Sat nights
A pastry and meat pie floating in pea soup topped with tomato sauce (ketchup) :-+

Lol, how to recognize someone who is also from Adelaide!  :-DD

PS, I grew up there but live in Melbourne these days.
You could hide a Croc in that pea soup, is that pie floater meant to represent the boat in the river that the crocs out there love to attack by any chance :-DD
Nah - no Crocs in SA just 'drop bears'! HiHi - the babies we call Koalas but then they grow BIG - we hide that part - it would put off the tourists  >:D If the snakes and spiders don't!
Yep, its the old spider in the dunny that would do it for me, Jesus, those things are fearsome even without teeth.  :-DD

Just remember ... there's a reason we have a song called "Redback on the toilet seat"
Haha, I bet they can jump 10 feet too.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8729 on: March 21, 2018, 03:33:21 pm »
Replace what, switch or the oven?

Thought you was getting a new one tomorrow anyway?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8730 on: March 21, 2018, 03:58:52 pm »

You probably could fix it by cleaning the contacts on that switch element and then using that pin to trigger whatever random relay you might have lying around. You'd need a rectifier and a ballast resistor in the coil circuit to keep it from buzzing and limit current. Then it'd be MacGyver-fied!  :-DD

They told me not to open it again or they wouldn't honor the warranty  :-DD

Might find some more crimes.

The financial punishment of the supplier is fun :D

Replace the whole thing. Cancelled the new one under DSR

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #8731 on: March 21, 2018, 04:06:31 pm »

You could hide a Croc in that pea soup, is that pie floater meant to represent the boat in the river that the crocs out there love to attack by any chance :-DD
Nah - no Crocs in SA just 'drop bears'! HiHi - the babies we call Koalas but then they grow BIG - we hide that part - it would put off the tourists  >:D If the snakes and spiders don't!
Yep, its the old spider in the dunny that would do it for me, Jesus, those things are fearsome even without teeth.  :-DD

Just remember ... there's a reason we have a song called "Redback on the toilet seat"

Don't know if I've seen a Redback jump 10 feet .... but I've seen more than one person do it when they met one.

I just generally say G'day to them and they leave me alone.  I have seen them get a little antsy, though, when some import tries to say G'day.  I don't know if it's because they don't like the accent ... or they can sense the fear.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #8732 on: March 21, 2018, 04:35:32 pm »
That nested quote looks very pretty - nice outlines.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8733 on: March 21, 2018, 04:56:17 pm »
"So... it's SUPPOSED to look like a turd floating in a bucket o' barff?"

thank you for finding the words that eluded me.
free range primate

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8734 on: March 21, 2018, 04:57:37 pm »

They told me not to open it again or they wouldn't honor the warranty  :-DD

Might find some more crimes.

The financial punishment of the supplier is fun :D

DSR? What does serial comms have to do widdit? Or did you mean DNR?  :-DD

Don't know if I've seen a Redback jump 10 feet .... but I've seen more than one person do it when they met one.

I just generally say G'day to them and they leave me alone.  I have seen them get a little antsy, though, when some import tries to say G'day.  I don't know if it's because they don't like the accent ... or they can sense the fear.

It's not antsy; it's just detected foreign cuisine, and since it already knows what your arse tastes like, I can't blame it for wanting to try a little strange...  :-DD

I remember my mother telling me when I was little, in comment on the locally variable nature of human progress:

"One day we'll have colonies on Mars, flying cars, and maybe even aliens serving drinks in bars... but there will still be outhouses in Upstate New York."

"So... it's SUPPOSED to look like a turd floating in a bucket o' barff?"

thank you for finding the words that eluded me.

You're BOTH welcome.  >:D

mnem
*Building the perfect bed*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8735 on: March 21, 2018, 05:04:06 pm »
Oh, and I just stumbled across this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RD-DPS8005-programmable-constant-voltage-current-Step-down-power-supply-module-Voltmeter-Ammeter-buck-converter-80V/32849962454.html

80V/5A CV/CC is an interesting combination...

mnem
I guess I can sleep when I'm dead...

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8736 on: March 21, 2018, 05:33:09 pm »

DSR? What does serial comms have to do widdit? Or did you mean DNR?  :-DD

Distance Selling Regulations. You can change your mind if you ordered something in the UK within 14 days and they have to take it the fuck away without saying a word. If they don't tell you this then you can get them to take it the fuck away within 12 months. If they don't do that and they refuse to deal with it then you can just moneyclaim them for the goods instantly. This was because some nasty retailers were sending smelly turds out then denying it. This stops them doing that because you can fling them right back over the fence at their cost :)

Take it the fuck away because that's the words I've had to use a couple of times.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8737 on: March 21, 2018, 05:49:14 pm »
Oh right... you live in the UK where they still have such a thing as Consumer Protection...  ::)

mnem
The US is NOT a First-world nation. It is just the biggest, loudest, most obnoxious Third-world nation on the planet.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 05:51:55 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: neo

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8738 on: March 21, 2018, 05:52:36 pm »
Barely. Where there's some protection to help, there's a bureaucratic death spiral waiting for you.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #8739 on: March 21, 2018, 05:53:14 pm »
Floating pies, DSRs, drop bears, oh my! The TEA house is quite educational.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8740 on: March 21, 2018, 06:08:33 pm »
Barely. Where there's some protection to help, there's a bureaucratic death spiral waiting for you.

Still better than everything being "Caveat Emptor" and having the burden of proof on the customer like it is here. Plus of course, the megacorporations have the first say in what safety/health/medical studies happen, which is why we have no PROOF that super-concentrated nicotine pesticides are dangerous, and the same with the GMO crops they have to genetically modify so THEY don't die from the concentrated cancer-juice they spray on them.

“No significant difference has been shown between milk derived from rbST-treated and non-rbST-treated cows.” All this means is they've kept the studies from happening by paying off the right people; it is not proof that the milk doesn't cause the dozen or so ailments attributed to excessive hormone exposure by other studies and empirical evidence.

And the list goes on... Give me a good old Bureaucracy that CAN be leveraged by the common man any day.

mnem
"Justice is for those who can pay." ~ Third Commandment of Capitalism

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8741 on: March 21, 2018, 06:37:28 pm »
We always aim to please  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8742 on: March 21, 2018, 06:42:33 pm »
The TEA house is also very comedic as well at times, some peoples wits are so sharp its a blooming wonder that they don't cut themselves  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #8743 on: March 21, 2018, 06:48:36 pm »
And for the rest of us, well, we have ProbeMaster. *ouch*
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8744 on: March 21, 2018, 06:51:15 pm »
The TEA house is also very comedic as well at times, some peoples wits are so sharp its a blooming wonder that they don't cut themselves  :-DD

Ow... owww.. owwdammit OWWW!

mnem
Anybody got a band-aid?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8745 on: March 21, 2018, 07:17:16 pm »
How the fuck does this happen, the items in the photo have just been delivered 18.45 by the postman, they are the replacement T12 controller I ordered up to replace a less then satisfactory Blue OLED controller that could allow the tip to glow red hot if the incorrect calibration input is given to the controller.

Anyway, according to the tracking on Aliexpress site, the items are still sitting somewhere on the airport in Beijing and yet its here in the UK. From the time it left Quicko to the time it arrived at Beijing the updating of the tracking system has been flawless, so WTF went wrong there and all the subsequent ports of call including the good old British Royal Mail. Begs the question whats the point of tracking service if nobody records the progress??

Who let Murphy in?

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8746 on: March 21, 2018, 07:34:59 pm »
Was the package opened by customs? Sometimes if it’s rebagged the tracking gets lost.

Same thing happened to me as well though.

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #8747 on: March 21, 2018, 07:41:06 pm »
whats the point of tracking service if nobody records the progress??

My guess would be that it was sent through China Post. They have tracking for everything within their own domain - China - but unless you pay extra, no other carrier outside of China will bother with serving tracking data back to China Post.
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8748 on: March 21, 2018, 08:30:10 pm »
Was the package opened by customs? Sometimes if it’s rebagged the tracking gets lost.

Same thing happened to me as well though.
Not unless they supply the customs with a supply of parcel tape printed with the Quicko corporate logo and message in order to seal it up again. Has yours arrived today as well then?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8749 on: March 21, 2018, 08:33:35 pm »
Another common problem I have with AliEx... a lot of the vendors offer ePacket (A USPS Service direct from depots located in all their major manufacturing hubs) but they use China Post to get it to them. Problem is, the package will have a China Post label on one side, and a USPS ePacket label on the other.

Guess which carrier it ALWAYS goes across the ocean with, and nearly always gets handled over here as?

I wonder if your post has similar arrangements and similar idiocy happening therein...

mnem
Time to get the kiddles...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf