Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14563066 times)

DC1MC and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #9800 on: April 26, 2018, 01:52:22 pm »
I saw that one. I would probably buy that if it was the bench form factor unit. The plastic cased HP ones I have found problematic in the past. I had a top range HP 5315A counter with OCXO, battery and C optiona couple of years ago but the thing just slipped around on the bench like mad so I got rid of it.
Well that the same case as mine and I just stuck some non slip silicon feet under it and now it sits in my stack

As soon as the parts arrive and are fitted, it will re positioned to bottom of the stack and the 3466A next and so on to keep the stack stable.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9801 on: April 26, 2018, 01:54:05 pm »
Yeah definitely. Got to be honest I have chucked it in 3 digit mode a couple of times to get rid of that distraction  :-DD
I have stuck it in 4 mode sometimes myself as you don't get last digit changing as much on the 4.5 meters.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #9802 on: April 26, 2018, 05:01:45 pm »
I'm sticking at 5.5 for now. 6.5 costs a lot more to cal when I fuck it up  :-DD
Added to that, the fact even now with ours when on low ranges, that last digit changing is a distraction, do you really want to have 2 digits changing doubly distract you?  :-DD
Yeah definitely. Got to be honest I have chucked it in 3 digit mode a couple of times to get rid of that distraction  :-DD

This phenomenon HAS to be some relative of the "Man with two watches" effect. We need to come up with a TEA name for it...

FDDS - Flipping Digit Distraction Syndrome: When the constant flipping of the last few digits on your 4+x and 1/2 digit instrument distract you from the work you're supposed to be doing with it.

Oh YEAH!!! And it has an advanced stage condition as well...  :-DD

BDADD - Bouncing Digit Attention Deficit Disorder: When you don't hear your wife/kids/boss calling your name because you're too busy watching those digits flip on a stack of such instruments and trying to figure out the pattern; or because you just noticed that two or more of them seem to be in sync.

But wait; then there'd have to be the inverse function where this becomes a fetish...

FDDAS - Flipping Digit Device Acquisition Syndrome: When your TEA evolves such that you are pathologically driven to collect test gear with excessive extra digits just to watch them as they demonstrate entropy.

Cheers,

mnem
"Hello, you've reached mnem's pants. mnem isn't currently in his pants; please leave a message after the beep."

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 05:06:00 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #9803 on: April 26, 2018, 05:12:27 pm »
I'm sticking at 5.5 for now. 6.5 costs a lot more to cal when I fuck it up  :-DD
Added to that, the fact even now with ours when on low ranges, that last digit changing is a distraction, do you really want to have 2 digits changing doubly distract you?  :-DD

This phenomenon HAS to be some relative of the "Man with two watches" effect. We need to come up with a TEA name for it...

FDDS - Flipping Digit Distraction Syndrome: When the constant flipping of the last few digits on your 4+x and 1/2 digit instrument distract you from the work you're supposed to be doing with it.

BDADD - Bouncing Digit Attention Deficit Disorder: When you don't hear your wife/kids/boss calling your name because you're too busy watching those digits flip on a stack of such instruments and trying to figure out the pattern; or because you just noticed that two or more of them seem to be in sync.

But wait; then there'd have to be the inverse function where this becomes a fetish...

FDDAS - Flipping Digit Device Acquisition Syndrome: When your TEA evolves such that you are pathologically driven to collect test gear with excessive extra digits just to watch them as they demonstrate entropy.

Cheers,

mnem
"Hello, you've reached mnem's pants. mnem isn't currently in his pants; please leave a message after the beep."

Luckily for everyone here, I am now selling for only $49.95 (+ shipping) a lifetime supply of FDDS Reliever!  Completely eliminates FDDS flare-ups, and also works for BDADD!  The new and improved formula also minimizes mild to moderate FDDAS.  Comes in an easy to dispense roll.   Get yours today!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #9804 on: April 26, 2018, 05:16:57 pm »
Specmaster, did you clean the meter? It's looking sharp!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9805 on: April 26, 2018, 05:18:16 pm »

Cheers,

mnem

Luckily for everyone here, I am now selling for only $49.95 (+ shipping) a lifetime supply of FDDS Reliever!  Completely eliminates FDDS flare-ups, and also works for BDADD!  The new and improved formula also minimizes mild to moderate FDDAS.  Comes in an easy to dispense roll.   Get yours today!

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9806 on: April 26, 2018, 05:23:47 pm »

Cheers,

mnem
I think you started your digits to early, 4+x and 1/2 digit  should read as 5+x and 1/2 digit because the last digit bouncing is not a distraction on the 4.5 as it rarely changes as much as the 5.5 and above  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9807 on: April 26, 2018, 05:36:32 pm »
Specmaster, did you clean the meter? It's looking sharp!
Just a quick wipe over with a damp cloth after removing the stickers and the adhesive, that's all. I'm very pleased with it but a little saddened that the best that they could come up with on the volts range was 300V max,  :wtf: I mean the HP 3466A goes all the way up to 1,200V FFSS Yes I know its a 5.5 digit precision meter its a little disconcerting having to remember when reading voltages that you can't go above 300V and you then have change meters  :palm: What on earth were the designers thinking about  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #9808 on: April 26, 2018, 05:45:17 pm »
Just a quick wipe over with a damp cloth after removing the stickers and the adhesive, that's all. I'm very pleased with it but a little saddened that the best that they could come up with on the volts range was 300V max,  :wtf: I mean the HP 3466A goes all the way up to 1,200V FFSS Yes I know its a 5.5 digit precision meter its a little disconcerting having to remember when reading voltages that you can't go above 300V and you then have change meters  :palm: What on earth were the designers thinking about  :-//
What do you plan on doing that's going to take you over 300 volt? The only thing I can come up with its how it's inconvenient that the 320 or 330 volt peak of a 230 volt RMS AC signal is slightly beyond what it can do.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9809 on: April 26, 2018, 06:08:59 pm »
What do you plan on doing that's going to take you over 300 volt? The only thing I can come up with its how it's inconvenient that the 320 or 330 volt peak of a 230 volt RMS AC signal is slightly beyond what it can do.
Nothing that I know about but it just struck me as odd that after years of being to higher voltages than 300V that they should suddenly stop giving you that flexibility/headroom if you need it. Its a bit like saying your national speed limit is 50mph so therefore we are taking away the cars ability to do 150mph
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9810 on: April 26, 2018, 06:15:45 pm »
The 3478A is a precision bomber not a fighter jet :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9811 on: April 26, 2018, 06:24:14 pm »
Granted but so was the 3466A in its day surely?

Its not a real problem, just came as a bit of a shock when RTFM that they've taken away the facility to pretend your a fighter for a bit of fun on route to your precision bombing mission  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #9812 on: April 26, 2018, 06:46:24 pm »
I think something like the 34401A goes up to 1000V and that's definitely a surgical strike unit.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9813 on: April 26, 2018, 07:03:55 pm »
The revered HP3458A goes up to 1050V DC (±10ppm +0.1ppm) and 700V AC (±400ppm + 20ppm).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9814 on: April 26, 2018, 07:13:27 pm »
I think something like the 34401A goes up to 1000V and that's definitely a surgical strike unit.
It sure does but its still priced out of my reach at the moment, it does look to be pretty much the same meter as the 3478A with a different display.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9815 on: April 26, 2018, 07:15:39 pm »
The revered HP3458A goes up to 1050V DC (±10ppm +0.1ppm) and 700V AC (±400ppm + 20ppm).
Again, this beast of a meter is about the same size as the Fluke 8505A which is just too large for my bench and the price is another thing, man it is expensive for a hobbyist. 
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #9816 on: April 26, 2018, 07:27:52 pm »
It sure does but its still priced out of my reach at the moment, it does look to be pretty much the same meter as the 3478A with a different display.
The 34401A is a 6 1/2 digit multimeter and comes with RS232 capabilities in addition to GPIB. The latter redeems some costs compared to the 3478A if you're interested in hooking it up to a computer, as GPIB cables can get expensive.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9817 on: April 26, 2018, 07:31:26 pm »
The 34401A is a 6 1/2 digit multimeter and comes with RS232 capabilities in addition to GPIB. The latter redeems some costs compared to the 3478A if you're interested in hooking it up to a computer, as GPIB cables can get expensive.
I don't have any need for a computer hook up, all of my meters are standalone ones.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9818 on: April 26, 2018, 08:26:29 pm »

Internally they're quite significantly different, a totally new ADC in the 34401A for a start. Reading rates are 50 per second (51/2 digits, AZ on, 50Hz) for the 34401A versus 1.9 per second (51/2 digits, AZ on, 50Hz) for the 3478A. The 34401A has about twice the basic DC accuracy of the 3478A, 35ppm+5ppm (10V range) versus 60ppm+1 count (3V range) respectively.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9819 on: April 26, 2018, 08:56:32 pm »

Internally they're quite significantly different, a totally new ADC in the 34401A for a start. Reading rates are 50 per second (51/2 digits, AZ on, 50Hz) for the 34401A versus 1.9 per second (51/2 digits, AZ on, 50Hz) for the 3478A. The 34401A has about twice the basic DC accuracy of the 3478A, 35ppm+5ppm (10V range) versus 60ppm+1 count (3V range) respectively.
I understand all that, but it does still externally look like the same meter with a florescent screen rather then a LCD, looks like a face lifted model but it clearly has a different internals as it does so much more and also is 6.5 digit as opposed to 5.5 digits
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9820 on: April 26, 2018, 09:23:09 pm »
Random frustration but I got to play with my 3478A. Just tested 100 78L06 voltage regulators from aliexpress with the 3478A on it’s only calibrated range: 30v. This was after I stuffed one in circuit and it pulled way too much current for the job. Fortunately it didn’t smoke the SA612 it was connected to.

Built a constant 20mA current sink load with a 2n3904.

Some were more 78L05’s, one exploded, 3 were dead, 4 pulled 50mA+ straight away and got hot (not sure what device they were). Decided to cut my losses and chuck them in the bin and order a bag of ST ones RS.

Well done China! Not!  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9821 on: April 26, 2018, 09:26:34 pm »
I feel a claim coming on, didn't you also have a duff batch of LEDs from AliExpress?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9822 on: April 26, 2018, 09:38:35 pm »
I’m not even going to bother claiming it. Can’t be arsed. Was only 60p or something trivial.

Not had any LED trouble yet. I suspect China is pretty good with LEDs thanks to all the low grade fairy lights they kick out by the ship load. The cheap 3mm white ones make pretty good varactor diodes I found. They are quite linear but light sensitive so you have to dip them in paint first.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9823 on: April 26, 2018, 09:40:40 pm »
Have you been using Chinese parts on your radio bit that keeps blowing up?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #9824 on: April 26, 2018, 09:47:55 pm »

Cheers,

mnem

:-DD FOFL!!! ZOMG... stop! You're making my sides hurt!  :-DD

I think you started your digits to early, 4+x and 1/2 digit  should read as 5+x and 1/2 digit because the last digit bouncing is not a distraction on the 4.5 as it rarely changes as much as the 5.5 and above  :-DD

I actually spent some time considering where that line should be; I eventually concluded that any value for x less than 1 was ridiculous, so I stand by my math in this case. I know; this comes as much of a shock to me as it does to you. ;)

mnem
*Congenitally math-defective*
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:56:16 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf