Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14556634 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #12375 on: June 25, 2018, 12:49:16 pm »
The TEA devil keeps coming ...  ::)

Guys ... how much is a good shaped, working fine Agilent 34401A worth for you ? Say easy, local pickup price, so no shipping cost.  :palm:

Upper limit ? Sweet spot ? Lower limit that you would not think twice with above conditions ?

Guys ... any hint please ?

I'd pay £300 (GBP) for one.

The Buy It Now price one sees on Ebay is typically £395-400 and they don't get snapped up at that. £300 might tempt me, I'd suffer a couple of hours driving each way to pick up one much closer to the £200 mark, say £230-240 - a few quid less if missing bumpers and handle.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12376 on: June 25, 2018, 12:57:04 pm »
Agree on all points. I'd probably pay £400 if it had a recent cal cert on it to avoid that arse ache :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12377 on: June 25, 2018, 01:28:20 pm »
Agree on all points. I'd probably pay £400 if it had a recent cal cert on it to avoid that arse ache :)
No arse ache if it checked out OK against your Agiliant, almost said your 3578A then [emoji41]

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12378 on: June 25, 2018, 01:29:59 pm »
That's a 4.5 digit though and the 34401 is a 6.5 digit so it would annoy me not knowing if those 2 digits are wrong or not. Much like the 3478A did :D

To be honest I haven't needed anything better than a 4.5 digit for a bit. Considering just buying another handheld.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12379 on: June 25, 2018, 01:35:33 pm »
That's a 4.5 digit though and the 34401 is a 6.5 digit so it would annoy me not knowing if those 2 digits are wrong or not. Much like the 3478A did :D

To be honest I haven't needed anything better than a 4.5 digit for a bit. Considering just buying another handheld.
Meh, if it checked reasonable it good enough, already agreed that those digits when measuring volts, current or resistance are not required, but bloody handy in locating short circuits on PCB's and then only really serve as an indication if your probing is getting closer or further away.

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #12380 on: June 25, 2018, 03:55:12 pm »
@mnementh  I watched a video of your Misfit watch last night and it does have pretty good robotics and it is so much more subtle about being a smart watch than the digital ones are and that year long battery life is a big improvement too.  That said, it does still has functions that are not really necessary as they are duplicated on the phone and the phone has to be in the close proximity to you anyway so may as leave those functions to it.

It is a watch that I would certainly wear because of its quirky way it tells the date etc and it does look good as dress watch.

This watch here is one that I have and others in a similar vein from Citizen.

I don't WANT the whole FitBit/Strava BS thing where strangers in Whatever-Fuggifino clandestine organization can track my physical location because my stupid fitness tracker app is connected va BT and broadcasts my GPS coordinates to some server on the internet.  :palm:

That's what I like most about all the MisFit products; they are all standalone devices. They do NOT have to be in proximity to the phone and they ONLY connect when you tell them to. Yes, for call, email and text notifications you need to be connected via bluetooth in real time, but all other functions will run for weeks at a time without being connected, and you don't have to tell it NOT to upload your data; that's turned off by default.

I sync my Misfit once a week or so, or whenever I change from my Shine to my Command; the rest of the time the app and my BT are turned off. The best part is how they integrate multiple devices; when you need to change MisFits you just launch the app, tell it to use the different device, and it automatically syncs the one you're wearing, unlinks from it then links to the other MisFit.

Really; they are the BEST combination of simple-to-use and reasonably secure... as long as you aren't looking for a personal map of every step you've taken or every calorie you've expended, (and you're a dumbass if you do, for more reasons than I can count) they do exactly what you need to monitor your basic fitness without invading your privacy on a fundamental level.

Cheers,

mnem
I'm awake!
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12381 on: June 25, 2018, 04:13:01 pm »
Heres a heads up if anyone is looking for a workbench and has the space then one of these might fit the bill?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232804674862

Those workbenches are quite delicious... but I think they would definitely interfere with my need to "downsize" my junk collection for the move.   |O

Just a quick heads-up...

If you delete everything after the item number like I did above you have much shorter eBay URLs, and you don't give 3rd-party masturbat... err, click-baiters money for making everybody's life miserable on the intardnet.  :-+

mnem
*Back out into the suck*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12382 on: June 25, 2018, 04:23:34 pm »
I don't WANT the whole FitBit/Strava BS thing where strangers in Whatever-Fuggifino clandestine organization can track my physical location because my stupid fitness tracker app is connected va BT and broadcasts my GPS coordinates to some server on the internet.  :palm:

That's what I like most about all the MisFit products; they are all standalone devices. They do NOT have to be in proximity to the phone and they ONLY connect when you tell them to. Yes, for call, email and text notifications you need to be connected via bluetooth in real time, but all other functions will run for weeks at a time without being connected, and you don't have to tell it NOT to upload your data; that's turned off by default.

I sync my Misfit once a week or so, or whenever I change from my Shine to my Command; the rest of the time the app and my BT are turned off. The best part is how they integrate multiple devices; when you need to change MisFits you just launch the app, tell it to use the different device, and it automatically syncs the one you're wearing, unlinks from it then links to the other MisFit.

Really; they are the BEST combination of simple-to-use and reasonably secure... as long as you aren't looking for a personal map of every step you've taken or every calorie you've expended, (and you're a dumbass if you do, for more reasons than I can count) they do exactly what you need to monitor your basic fitness without invading your privacy on a fundamental level.

Cheers,

mnem
I'm awake!

Precisely why I would wear one of those Misfits but not a conventional smartwatch, it has the appearance of a normal watch until you look closer at it and thats when it reveals that its actually quite bit smarter than your average watch. In much the same sort of way as the Citizen Eco-drive watches atomic watches have those little hidden features that provide a bit more performance / convenience then a normal watch does.

With the other style of smartwatches as you rightly point out, people with the right equipment could track your precise movements in much the same way as if you carry your phone everywhere with you. Sometimes I do wonder if its not part of a more complicated plot to be able to monitor people, convince them that they need these FitBits and other similar devices. If you like to think of it as a sort of ID card / chip by stealthy means, offering people that they think is useful without realising that they themselves are offering something back thats more valuable, data about them and their movements. 

Big brother is watching you and I and everyone via numerous means, even things we write on this forum is being monitored in one form or other.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:30:15 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12383 on: June 25, 2018, 04:34:25 pm »
If you want privacy buy a Casio F91-W in cash from Argos.

Despite being software and engineering focused I do most of my work on paper and it stays in paper. On lab notebooks, numbered and bound. Witnessed and certified also.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:36:02 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12384 on: June 25, 2018, 04:37:14 pm »
If you only need an amp, these are on offer on CPC: http://cpc.farnell.com/aim-tti-instruments/el301r/power-supply-30v-1a/dp/IN0576761

£100 aint bad.

Economy option: http://cpc.farnell.com/tenma/72-10480/power-supply-1ch-30v-3a-adjustable/dp/IN0682261

Same unit as a Korad 3003D.

Very interesting... that Tenma unit is also available from Amazon.uk for a similar price, and the same supplier has a dual 5A version for £140.99.

Fekking bass-tards won't ship to the US, though... and even the cheapest single-out knob-tune Tenma PSUs are over a hundred on slAmazon.us  :wtf: ???

Here's the dual-out unit at Farnell.uk for £120.79

mnem
Percussive maintenance is a required skill in any endeavour of any real significance.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:49:21 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12385 on: June 25, 2018, 04:39:03 pm »

Despite being software and engineering focused I do most of my work on paper and it stays in paper. On lab notebooks, numbered and bound.

Is that because of industrial espionage where someone might want to beat you to market with the product that your developing and then they claim it all as their own work?

And why that watch over all others, there are many thousands of standalone watches in the world that cannot be tracked or hacked.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12386 on: June 25, 2018, 04:47:39 pm »

Despite being software and engineering focused I do most of my work on paper and it stays in paper. On lab notebooks, numbered and bound.

Is that because of industrial espionage where someone might want to beat you to market with the product that your developing and then they claim it all as their own work?

And why that watch over all others, there are many thousands of standalone watches in the world that cannot be tracked or hacked.

Just some healthy professionalism and paranoia. Really if you come up with something patentable it has to be recorded in a proper manor otherwise a competitor can claim prior art etc. It’s legal protection more than anything. Tangible assets are easier than electronic ones to certify as well. Plus it’s more expressive and flexible than a computer medium.

Had to fight that battle in the past when I wrote an asset management system back in 2003. First on the market. But a competitor came up and said we stole their IP and fired up the lawyers. Two scans from a lab notebook certified by a top legal firm in London (my cousin works there) and they buggered off faster than a brain cell in Teresa May’s head.

Watch because terrorist street cred  :-DD
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:49:50 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12387 on: June 25, 2018, 04:53:01 pm »

...Watch because terrorist street cred  :-DD

And the fact it can easily be wired as a trigger device.  :-DD

mnem
It's not safe to say ANYTHING. ANYWHERE. SHHHHHH!!!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12388 on: June 25, 2018, 04:53:50 pm »
If you only need an amp, these are on offer on CPC: http://cpc.farnell.com/aim-tti-instruments/el301r/power-supply-30v-1a/dp/IN0576761

£100 aint bad.

Economy option: http://cpc.farnell.com/tenma/72-10480/power-supply-1ch-30v-3a-adjustable/dp/IN0682261

Very interesting... they are also available from Amazon.uk for a similar price, and the same supplier has a dual 5A version for £140.99.

Fekking bass-tards won't ship to the US, though... and even the cheapest single-out knob-tune Tenma PSUs are over a hundred on slAmazon.us  :wtf: ???

mnem
Percussive maintenance is a required skill in any endeavour of any real significance.
That price from Farnell is actually dearer as it has to have the VAT added on at the checkout adding on a further £3.96.

I have noticed that with my hum problem, if I plug that PSU in another socket on the other side of the room but still on the same ring main, the hum is almost inaudible. I'm beginning to think it has something to with some sockets on my bench being fed via a surge protector and others not protected. A bit more detective work is called for I think.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12389 on: June 25, 2018, 04:57:47 pm »

...Watch because terrorist street cred  :-DD

And the fact it can easily be wired as a trigger device.  :-DD

mnem
It's not safe to say ANYTHING. ANYWHERE. SHHHHHH!!!

Well I can confidently claim that I wouldn't know anything about that and any such devices or intentions.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12390 on: June 25, 2018, 05:06:18 pm »

£100 aint bad.

Very interesting... they are also available from Amazon.uk for a similar price, and the same supplier has a dual 5A version for £140.99.

mnem
That price from Farnell is actually dearer as it has to have the VAT added on at the checkout adding on a further £3.96.

I have noticed that with my hum problem, if I plug that PSU in another socket on the other side of the room but still on the same ring main, the hum is almost inaudible. I'm beginning to think it has something to with some sockets on my bench being fed via a surge protector and others not protected. A bit more detective work is called for I think.

Ground loop.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12391 on: June 25, 2018, 05:18:53 pm »
Yep, thats what it is, just exchanged the feed socket with something else and unless I'm using the full 30V the hum is not audible, just saved me some cash I think for other TEA items when something catches my eye. :-+

I don't think I'd have liked downsizing to 1A from 5A, I know most of my stuff is only mA's but its still nice to have that spare capacity if needed.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:20:26 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12392 on: June 25, 2018, 05:31:24 pm »
My most power hungry circuit, a homebrew WSPR TX uses 200mA flat out. That gets to the Canary Islands and East coast US. It's not how big it is but what you do with it  :-DD

Amazing considering my fucking Yaesu lump can't manage that on the same antenna with SSB at 100W out and 18 amps in  :scared:

Focusing on much less power usage here :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12393 on: June 25, 2018, 06:07:33 pm »
Maybe thats a route sign that you could be ignoring right there. Just maybe you ought to chuck some resources at it and develop that further and come up with a marketable product to take on the likes of Yaesu and give the world what it needs, enhanced performance and a massive reduction in energy consumption. Just think of the implications if similar energy savings could be made on other products, may we wouldn't need any more power stations. That would have a massive impact on the CO2 levels.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12394 on: June 25, 2018, 06:28:14 pm »
Mine isn’t the most efficient out there. I’ve got one of these which will do 3 hours on a PP3 or significanty longer on Ikea NiMH cells:

https://qrp-labs.com/qcx.html

Then there’s this which is pretty amazing for the size:

http://www.elecraft.com/KX3/kx3.htm

But I didn’t design them :)

Main thing is slow rate digital modes need less power and blast through the shitty propagation at the moment so Morse, FT8 or QRSS etc.

Copying straight out of Wikipedia: The current record for a QRP connection is 1 µW for 2640 kilometers (1650 miles) on 10-meter band (28-29.7 MHz).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 06:31:24 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12395 on: June 25, 2018, 06:32:02 pm »
64,000 dollar question is, will they achieve what your home brew did and can do?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 07:04:05 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #12396 on: June 25, 2018, 11:37:04 pm »
@ mnementh,
I just love all singing and dancing watches as my main goto watches but every now and then a nice dress watch is OK too and yours fits that bill nicely.

I bought a couple of the cheap Android smart watches; they require too much charging, constantly do the wrong thing due to too small a touchscreen, and the only really cool thing about them was that my 2nd one would actually serve as a standalone cellphone with Skype video chat.

But yeah; the Command is first a nice dress watch, and second a marvel of miniature robotics with fitness tracking. The nice thing is that they held true to that aesthetic from beginning to end and did not compromise on it; a truly rare accomplishment anymore. I just discovered while watching some of the longer adverts that on top of all this awesomeness, it's supposed to have a year battery life!  :wtf:

Uh, oh. Is this the beginning of WWA (Watch Wearers Anonymous)? I like watches too — rather twist my wrist to check the time than pull out and turn on my phone. I'll have to check out those Misfit watches as I haven't seen them before.

I've gotten quite tired of watches that require batteries. So-called smartwatches that need recharging daily are a non-starter for me. Automatic and solar watches are my daily drivers.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12397 on: June 26, 2018, 12:11:17 am »
I've gotten quite tired of watches that require batteries. So-called smartwatches that need recharging daily are a non-starter for me. Automatic and solar watches are my daily drivers.

:-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #12398 on: June 26, 2018, 06:37:25 am »
The TEA devil keeps coming ...  ::)

Guys ... how much is a good shaped, working fine Agilent 34401A worth for you ? Say easy, local pickup price, so no shipping cost.  :palm:

Upper limit ? Sweet spot ? Lower limit that you would not think twice with above conditions ?

Guys ... any hint please ?

Prices on them have really been going up the past couple of years.

Upper limit? I'm afraid they went above my upper limit already. If I really needed one and it was recently calibrated, maybe $300-400, but I'd really have to need one.

Sweet spot? Good condition and local transaction, around $200.

Impulse buy? $100 or less

Of course, you'll have to adjust for your region, YMMV, etc.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12399 on: June 26, 2018, 06:46:49 am »
The ambient pricing of the 34401A’s was one of the reasons I didn’t drop money on a new TTi 1908P DMM. Going to snatch one if one appears in the “yeah that’s pretty ok” price bracket.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf