Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14929196 times)

Wolfgang and 219 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #13375 on: July 18, 2018, 07:02:59 pm »
I tried to power through last night; stayed up til half-past "Oh fuck" in the morning, but passed out on the keyboard. When I woke up at 0h-three:mumblety-mumble in the morning, there were 2 hard drives left in the box and my face looked like a belgian waffle.  :palm:

Strangely, at an hour past lunchtime today, I am in no rush whatsoever to get back to those last three drives. I'm just... numb.

mnem
I think I may have burned out my "Forensics" circuit.
Haha, been there myself before, SWMBO is now used to me crawling into bed at anything after 3am, she finally learnt that nagging me to go to bed doesn't work Once I start something I like to try and finish it off.

If it don't finish me off first  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13376 on: July 18, 2018, 07:04:07 pm »
LOL @ Belgian waffle  :-DD

Similar here. Just keep going until I'm dead.

This D83 HT is going to be a bastard. Check all the potentially knackered caps out and their relative inaccessibility. That means I'm going to have to go on another transplant mission. :scared:

I do have another HT board and inverter worst case (fortunately). Joy to buying two of the things!

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #13377 on: July 18, 2018, 07:44:50 pm »
Dave says "Buy a real Analog Oscilloscope", so . . .

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13378 on: July 18, 2018, 07:45:48 pm »
And a fine scope that is too. No less than a 475A   :-+

Not having any luck finding caps for this scope so far. Bloody HV capacitors are either ridiculously expensive or out of stock.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #13379 on: July 18, 2018, 08:25:41 pm »
I was pleased.  It came with an Instruction manual, an undamaged front plastic cover and two old-ish probemaster 10x probes.
As you can see, I got a cal signal displayed.  I spotted a couple problems.. the ext trigger BNC shroud is bent and the channel B trigger + - switch is not "clicking" into the detents - just a vague quarter-turn in each direction.

Should be a fun little package to play around with and learn from.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #13380 on: July 18, 2018, 08:29:28 pm »
+1
mnem helped start my day with a good laugh and suddenly all I have to get through today will be easy now.  :)

This D83 HT is going to be a bastard. Check all the potentially knackered caps out and their relative inaccessibility. That means I'm going to have to go on another transplant mission. :scared:

I do have another HT board and inverter worst case (fortunately). Joy to buying two of the things!
They're not too bad really.
The HV diodes (12V Vf IIRC) are the most delicate bit as after a few times of soldering, unsoldering and bending them outta the way the leads can break due to metal fatigue.
Remove the transformer first, unscrew the switching transistor and then the PCB screws and get it all out and on the bench.
IIRC the bright-up board restricts access to something and needs be loosened or removed too.
Freshen up as much as you can so you only have to get in there the once !

See that brown orange brown 130  \$\Omega\$ NTC, that's all that was why my unit would run when I got it as the damn thing had crumbled.
Replace all the HV divider resistors and the HV caps. Mine have a couple of axial polyesters IIRC and looked a bit different to yours. The HV ceramics should all be replaced with resin dipped types and a bit of time spent on Aliexpress can find some good HV cap suppliers.
Might have a few left so let me know what values you need 'cause I'm unlikely to need them for anything now.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #13381 on: July 18, 2018, 08:38:47 pm »
I was pleased.  It came with an Instruction manual, an undamaged front plastic cover and two old-ish probemaster 10x probes.
As you can see, I got a cal signal displayed.  I spotted a couple problems.. the ext trigger BNC shroud is bent and the channel B trigger + - switch is not "clicking" into the detents - just a vague quarter-turn in each direction.

Should be a fun little package to play around with and learn from.

That's a pretty complete package. Nice going. It's even got the DM44 backpack on.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: iainwhite

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #13382 on: July 18, 2018, 08:54:11 pm »
Not having any luck finding caps for this scope so far. Bloody HV capacitors are either ridiculously expensive or out of stock.

I presume you are aware of http://hvstuff.com/

I haven't used them (yet), but they have lots of sparky goodies :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13383 on: July 18, 2018, 09:12:40 pm »
+1
mnem helped start my day with a good laugh and suddenly all I have to get through today will be easy now.  :)

They're not too bad really.
The HV diodes (12V Vf IIRC) are the most delicate bit as after a few times of soldering, unsoldering and bending them outta the way the leads can break due to metal fatigue.
Remove the transformer first, unscrew the switching transistor and then the PCB screws and get it all out and on the bench.
IIRC the bright-up board restricts access to something and needs be loosened or removed too.
Freshen up as much as you can so you only have to get in there the once !

See that brown orange brown 130  \$\Omega\$ NTC, that's all that was why my unit would run when I got it as the damn thing had crumbled.
Replace all the HV divider resistors and the HV caps. Mine have a couple of axial polyesters IIRC and looked a bit different to yours. The HV ceramics should all be replaced with resin dipped types and a bit of time spent on Aliexpress can find some good HV cap suppliers.
Might have a few left so let me know what values you need 'cause I'm unlikely to need them for anything now.

Thanks for tips. Just ordered some a minute ago. Went for dipped HV ceramics all round. 20-22nF ones at more than 4kv are non existent now so I’ve got 6x 10nF 6kv ones and 1x 1nF one on the way. Will parallel the 10nF ones to get 20nF as soecified. NTC thermistor looks in good condition here. Fingers crossed.

Farnell sell the resistors (Vishay VR) so will plonk those down when the caps arrive. They’re on the slow boat so might be a while before there’s an update :)

I presume you are aware of http://hvstuff.com/

I haven't used them (yet), but they have lots of sparky goodies :)

I’ll let you know. I found them and ordered a few minutes ago. £10.05 including delivery for a full HT recap. I didn’t bother ordering diodes or resistors as can get them locally easy enough.

Slow boat though as delivery was $8 or $32 for DHL (feck that).

Will let everyone know what happens in 20-50 days :)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13384 on: July 18, 2018, 09:19:50 pm »
Thanks for tips. Just ordered some a minute ago. Went for dipped HV ceramics all round. 20-22nF ones at more than 4kv are non existent now so I’ve got 6x 10nF 6kv ones and 1x 1nF one on the way. Will parallel the 10nF ones to get 20nF as soecified. NTC thermistor looks in good condition here. Fingers crossed.

Farnell sell the resistors (Vishay VR) so will plonk those down when the caps arrive. They’re on the slow boat so might be a while before there’s an update :)
The resistors look like they've been changed in yours but I can't see the resistor chain on the RH side.
They're spec'ed as carbon comp and IIRC I uprated them to 2 or 5W.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13385 on: July 18, 2018, 09:22:37 pm »
Could be right there. The HT board has been out of this as the electrolytics aren’t original. I replaced one of the replaced ones already!

Plan is to extract it, pull all duff parts, test rest in situ if possible, refurb, scrub board and reassemble.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:24:11 pm by bd139 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13386 on: July 18, 2018, 09:40:42 pm »
Could be right there. The HT board has been out of this as the electrolytics aren’t original. I replaced one of the replaced ones already!

Plan is to extract it, pull all duff parts, test rest in situ if possible, refurb, scrub board and reassemble.
:-+
This area of D83's is probably under more stress than any other area and being cheap with mine didn't pay off and I had to go into the EHT board at least a couple of times. Do it once and do it right !  :)

BTW, while you're in there get some measurements from the tranny for prosperity.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13387 on: July 18, 2018, 09:46:00 pm »
I’ve got another good transformer in the parts mule. Plan is to actually extract that one, measure inductance, dismantle it, count turns and knock up another one. I’ve got a ton of Ferrox E cores and formers in the junk cupboard so using one of those will most likely occur. They’re about the same size.

I actually went through a spell of building small inverters so I find it quite fun winding transformers with proper HV isolation.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13388 on: July 18, 2018, 10:07:06 pm »
I’ve got another good transformer in the parts mule. Plan is to actually extract that one, measure inductance, dismantle it, count turns and knock up another one. I’ve got a ton of Ferrox E cores and formers in the junk cupboard so using one of those will most likely occur. They’re about the same size.

I actually went through a spell of building small inverters so I find it quite fun winding transformers with proper HV isolation.
Shit, you're keen !
I'd just measure R and H, document them and leave it at that.

I still think these were pretty cool stepping ~30V to -2750V.  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13389 on: July 18, 2018, 10:10:19 pm »
I want an exit plan in case that transformer breaks down. It has a whopping great big lump of hydrophilic paxolin on top.

I did one that had a 12v input push pull (so 24v) to +2kv and -2kv. Was great fun. I manually counted the turns on that too at 1.1v/turn. And it worked without arcing out. The trick was layering the windings carefully and having laps of kapton every 500v.

I’m still waiting for the right tube to come along on eBay for that circuit :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:12:01 pm by bd139 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13390 on: July 18, 2018, 10:21:04 pm »
I want an exit plan in case that transformer breaks down. It has a whopping great big lump of hydrophilic paxolin on top.
Yeah but I think you'll find it's been well doped with wax IIRC. Not hard to do one out of blank FR4 anyways as you only need to add eyelets or tags for the winding ends and interconnects to terminate to.
With a little thought and care I'm sure you could better the original.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13391 on: July 18, 2018, 10:38:15 pm »

The crucial question, which I am surprised no one has asked, was this waffle-like appearance with or without maple syrup?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13392 on: July 18, 2018, 11:04:07 pm »

I did one that had a 12v input push pull (so 24v) to +2kv and -2kv. Was great fun. I manually counted the turns on that too at 1.1v/turn. And it worked without arcing out. The trick was layering the windings carefully and having laps of kapton every 500v.

I’m still waiting for the right tube to come along on eBay for that circuit :)
Wow, exit plan? it doesn't stand a chance against you  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #13393 on: July 19, 2018, 12:11:44 am »
I tried to power through last night; stayed up til half-past "Oh fuck" in the morning, but passed out on the keyboard. When I woke up at 0h-three:mumblety-mumble in the morning, there were 2 hard drives left in the box and my face looked like a belgian waffle.  :palm:

Strangely, at an hour past lunchtime today, I am in no rush whatsoever to get back to those last three drives. I'm just... numb.

mnem
I think I may have burned out my "Forensics" circuit.
Haha, been there myself before, SWMBO is now used to me crawling into bed at anything after 3am, she finally learnt that nagging me to go to bed doesn't work Once I start something I like to try and finish it off.

If it don't finish me off first  :-DD

Yeah, my wife doesn't nag about anything except me cussing in front of the kids, and she's right to. Doesn't stop me though; just slows me down... If I can't cuss at all... damn, might as well just wrap a bag around my head.   :-DD

I've been chasing the sun a little too long for my own health already; I turn head-achy and grumpy if I don't get my 7 hours beauty rest.  >:D Once a country boy, always a country boy; up with the chickens and asleep the same.  ;)

+1

I'm glad I could brighten someone's day; I was at the point of "If I don't laugh about it, I'm just gonna crawl back under my rock and wait for the end of days..."

I learned most of my life philosophy from following Robin Williams; he was always looking for the funny we all overlook. It is my firm belief that if you can't find 10 new funny things every day in the world around you, you just aren't looking.  :-DD

In other news...

The hard drives are done; a couple dozen going off to the Goodwill, and I pared the keeper pile down to an even dozen. The rest were rent asunder for their valuable metals and my own peace of mind. As you can imagine, the last few days have put me in a strange humour, and evidently released some pent-up creative energy.

Here you can see a contented MagnaDragon as he contemplates his hoard before curling up for a nap...

mnem
My wife says she married me because I make her laugh; all the applause I need for a lifetime.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13394 on: July 19, 2018, 01:17:53 am »
Well, at least I'm back. :phew:
 I presume anyone here has lost data at some point in his life.
The HDD in question is now in the hands of recovery experts, a new system is set up (I hate setting up computers, btw) and my old T30 is in repair too to have a XP system around.

Did I miss much?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13395 on: July 19, 2018, 01:31:51 am »

The crucial question, which I am surprised no one has asked, was this waffle-like appearance with or without maple syrup?

No syrup; honey instead. And a side of razor stubble. ;)

In other news...

UPDATE:

Here's what happened

You sent a message

We'll send you an email when the seller responds to your request. If you have not agreed on a solution or the seller has not responded by Jul 17, 2018, you can ask us to step in and help. If you and your seller need more time to work things out, your request will stay open until Aug 15, 2018.

We will let Dispute Resolution sort it out.

I notice you have withheld feedback for this transaction; this is your right. However, I also notice in your "Feedback Left for Others" tab that you are a poor community member as far as leaving feedback; with nearly 200 transactions in the last year, you could only be bothered to leave feedback for three of them. Two of these consist of disparaging comments with a positive feedback; this is a violation of eBay policy, and if you attempt to do so in my case, I will report you.

Have a nice eBay.

Jul 13
The seller sent you a message

At this point I don't think there is anything else I can do for you. You will have to ask ebay to step in and decide the matter.

(SNIP)

As you may remember, I called numbnuts on his BS; he folded this morning and opened a return case himself. Pile of crap meter is on its way back to him; when it's delivered I'll have my money back to spend on something else.

I find myself vacillating over what to do next; part of me says to just get a new BM867, but the hole in my soul from my stolen 87 says "You already have 4 Chinese multimeters; you're still looking because you still aren't going to be happy with anything less than me. Suck it up and buy a Fluke, dumbass."

I'm pretty sure there'll be no sleeping widdat assh'o until there's a 189 or better of some generation on my bench.  :-DD

Well, at least I'm back. :phew:
 I presume anyone here has lost data at some point in his life.
The HDD in question is now in the hands of recovery experts, a new system is set up (I hate setting up computers, btw) and my old T30 is in repair too to have a XP system around.

Did I miss much?

I just spent the last 4 daze in a sleep-deprived haze doing the exact opposite of you; deliberately destroying my 4th order data backups and turning them into modern art as they had reached critical mass. Much hilarity ensued. :-DD

mnem
It's entirely too sober in here.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 02:09:53 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13396 on: July 19, 2018, 01:57:18 am »

Cringeworthy.

mnem
"I love the smell of angry pixies in the morning..." ~ me

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13397 on: July 19, 2018, 02:05:32 am »

No syrup; honey instead. And a side of razor stubble. ;)

mnem
It's entirely too sober in here.
You could use those platters to help with the fuzz .....or would that mean you'd have to look at your sleep deprived self ?  :scared:
Nah, an electric razor and touch test might be best !  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13398 on: July 19, 2018, 02:56:17 am »

As you can imagine, the last few days have put me in a strange humour, and evidently released some pent-up creative energy.

Here you can see a contented MagnaDragon as he contemplates his hoard before curling up for a nap...

Now that's a unique result for HDD parts. Color me impressed.

My wife says she married me because I make her laugh; all the applause I need for a lifetime.

Yeah, that does seem to be an oft cited key attribute of the male spousal unit.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13399 on: July 19, 2018, 02:59:28 am »
I find myself vacillating over what to do next; part of me says to just get a new BM867, but the hole in my soul from my stolen 87 says "You already have 4 Chinese multimeters; you're still looking because you still aren't going to be happy with anything less than me. Suck it up and buy a Fluke, dumbass."

I'm pretty sure there'll be no sleeping widdat assh'o until there's a 189 or better of some generation on my bench.  :-DD

This is just a TEA test, right? The answer is to get both, if not all, of course. :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf