Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14935431 times)

K0ELB and 251 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #13500 on: July 21, 2018, 12:41:52 am »
Random time nuttery fun this evening which will result in more test gear being purchased but only if it has a 10MHz reference input. Ooh need a distribution amp then too. DG1022Z and the TF930 have reference inputs.

Firstly box arrived (Takachi YM-180) and parts chucked in. Made a little crappy 7805 power supply for the digital boards. Rough parts placement. Plan is to have external GPS antenna, QRP labs clock kit as front end + display and the PLL board at the rear will use the 1pps to derive a 10MHz reference which will be farted out the back. Most of the bits are still on the slow boat from China though  :--

That only took a few minutes. Next toy was evaluation of VCTCXO blocks to see if they are any good for this application. Metcal+X-Acto+FR4+SMD = best protoyping method ever. Managed to squeeze an MCP1700 LDO and some caps on there too as the rest of the system is 5V and this is a 3.3V part.

Unfortunately it looks like the initial accuracy plus pulling range isn't quite good enough for this to cover a reasonable span BECAUSE I MISREAD THE DATASHEET  :palm: . Ergo back to the drawing board. £5 down the shitter as always but it'll do reasonably well as a quick 10MHz calibration ref for scopes. All is not lost.

Specmaster: btw the wires on that are legs off the ones in those big boxes of resistors we ripped RS off for :-DD (found a use!)

Metcal is amazing for this stuff. You can literally touch one end of a wire and be done before the other end gets hot. Plus groundplanes? Pah. I remember getting my Antex C15 stuck to FR4 many years ago and having to snap it off. This thing stays hotter than satan's bollocks.

Edit: also have discovered 62/36/2 silver solder. The stuff is amazing.

Anyway going to bed as it feels like my eyeballs are going to fall out after staring at that for the last hour.

Yup. I use this technique all the time with my MetCal and my big Weller GT7. It's how I fixed the shaft on that Hitachi V212 as well. I've gotten used to working hot & fast; I weld the same way too.  ;)

Well, not hotter... it just delivers MORE HEAT. Big difference. I can turn my T12 up to 480 degrees and it still won't do half what my MetCal can do. I'm pretty sure you know the difference; it's just that if we who know don't use the right terms, how can we expect the noobs to learn?

Yes... "silver bearing solder" is magical. I've kept some in my toolbox ever since I discovered the stuff at Radidio Shack as a teen.
(Back when they got all their solder from Kester) The lead-free stuff is a pain in the testes  to work with, but once you get the right amount of heat on the work so you get decent wetting, all the impurities burn off and what's left can be shaped & polished into ornamental-quality finished product.

In other news...

Since $15 HP laptop has been running continuously in PERFORMANCE Power Profile with Sleep/Hibernate turned OFF for 24 hours without issue, it has now become a $40 HP laptop. New keyboard & battery from slAmazon will be here Monday; $25.41 delivered.

In OTHER, other news...

Bunk Fluke 189 was delivered today; refund is in my account. Finished my list of local pawn shops; almost bought a rebranded Vici VC97 for $15, but decided I'd rather spend the extra 15 for a new V99. Otherwise, nothing better than that 179 for $220. I must have lost my mind; I'm seriously considering going back there after the 1st, when it supposedly will drop to $180.  :palm:

mnem
now what?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 12:55:14 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #13501 on: July 21, 2018, 02:19:55 am »

http://www.legitreviews.com/250-hard-drives-will-make-one-epic-f1-car_127581

I tripped over this yesterday while looking for other stuff... kindof makes Magna-Dragon seem a bit primitive. But in his defense, he is held together ONLY by magnetism; this HDD F1 car was fabbed up by a WD engineer with a full machine shop at his disposal.

Woah! :o Now that's what you call a maker (and cool recycling).
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13502 on: July 21, 2018, 02:29:48 am »
I'm sure most of us know about using Gurgle's " site: " search algorithm to find things on EEVblog; however I just found something I didn't know: You can actually dial in some pretty fine granularity; it is possible to search individual subforums here as well. Not only that; you do NOT have to enter a search query!

THIS:

site:www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/

will return a listing of posts on our thread. If you then click on the [Images] radio button, you can scroll through all images uploaded to our thread, sorted similarly.

If you then add a search query, you can find images posted to our forum associated with that term, like so:

454 site:www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/

I was able to find the pic (and the post) where I originally offered my free Tekittens to a good home within the first few dozen hits; I had tried repeatedly using the EEVblog site advanced search with no joy.

Yep, that's the only way to fly search the forum (and other sites). If you leave off the www subdomain, you can broaden a search to all subdomains of a second-level domain.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #13503 on: July 21, 2018, 05:59:51 am »
Well, Lord help me I've begun my descent into the rabbit hole that is Tektronix 7000 series main frame wigglescopes.  I saved a 7603 (along with several plug-ins) from the dumpster a few years ago helping clean the basement of a silent key, but haven't done anything with it - it's buried in the queue.  Had been on the lookout for a 7844 for some time.  Scored one a few weeks ago, and I'll be heading up to MA next week to pick up a 7900 series storage one to go with it.  I've also just gotten a Tektronix catalog to go with my collection of HP ones.   :o  This will likely not end well, for either my bank account or the structural members of my house...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13504 on: July 21, 2018, 06:02:21 am »
Catalogs? You're a gonner now. ;D

Of course, I look forward to seeing all your upcoming acquisitions.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #13505 on: July 21, 2018, 08:08:09 am »
Well, Lord help me I've begun my descent into the rabbit hole that is Tektronix 7000 series main frame wigglescopes.  I saved a 7603 (along with several plug-ins) from the dumpster a few years ago helping clean the basement of a silent key, but haven't done anything with it - it's buried in the queue.  Had been on the lookout for a 7844 for some time.  Scored one a few weeks ago, and I'll be heading up to MA next week to pick up a 7900 series storage one to go with it.  I've also just gotten a Tektronix catalog to go with my collection of HP ones.   :o  This will likely not end well, for either my bank account or the structural members of my house...

-Pat

We couldn't care less if it ends well for you or not.  :-// :-DD Where are the pictures? That's what we care about.  :-+ :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13506 on: July 21, 2018, 08:45:20 am »
Random time nuttery fun this evening which will result in more test gear being purchased but only if it has a 10MHz reference input. Ooh need a distribution amp then too. DG1022Z and the TF930 have reference inputs.

Firstly box arrived (Takachi YM-180) and parts chucked in. Made a little crappy 7805 power supply for the digital boards. Rough parts placement. Plan is to have external GPS antenna, QRP labs clock kit as front end + display and the PLL board at the rear will use the 1pps to derive a 10MHz reference which will be farted out the back. Most of the bits are still on the slow boat from China though  :--

That only took a few minutes. Next toy was evaluation of VCTCXO blocks to see if they are any good for this application. Metcal+X-Acto+FR4+SMD = best protoyping method ever. Managed to squeeze an MCP1700 LDO and some caps on there too as the rest of the system is 5V and this is a 3.3V part.

Unfortunately it looks like the initial accuracy plus pulling range isn't quite good enough for this to cover a reasonable span BECAUSE I MISREAD THE DATASHEET  :palm: . Ergo back to the drawing board. £5 down the shitter as always but it'll do reasonably well as a quick 10MHz calibration ref for scopes. All is not lost.

Specmaster: btw the wires on that are legs off the ones in those big boxes of resistors we ripped RS off for :-DD (found a use!)

Metcal is amazing for this stuff. You can literally touch one end of a wire and be done before the other end gets hot. Plus groundplanes? Pah. I remember getting my Antex C15 stuck to FR4 many years ago and having to snap it off. This thing stays hotter than satan's bollocks.

Edit: also have discovered 62/36/2 silver solder. The stuff is amazing.

Anyway going to bed as it feels like my eyeballs are going to fall out after staring at that for the last hour.

Yup. I use this technique all the time with my MetCal and my big Weller GT7. It's how I fixed the shaft on that Hitachi V212 as well. I've gotten used to working hot & fast; I weld the same way too.  ;)

Well, not hotter... it just delivers MORE HEAT. Big difference. I can turn my T12 up to 480 degrees and it still won't do half what my MetCal can do. I'm pretty sure you know the difference; it's just that if we who know don't use the right terms, how can we expect the noobs to learn?

Yes... "silver bearing solder" is magical. I've kept some in my toolbox ever since I discovered the stuff at Radidio Shack as a teen.
(Back when they got all their solder from Kester) The lead-free stuff is a pain in the testes  to work with, but once you get the right amount of heat on the work so you get decent wetting, all the impurities burn off and what's left can be shaped & polished into ornamental-quality finished product.

In other news...

Since $15 HP laptop has been running continuously in PERFORMANCE Power Profile with Sleep/Hibernate turned OFF for 24 hours without issue, it has now become a $40 HP laptop. New keyboard & battery from slAmazon will be here Monday; $25.41 delivered.

In OTHER, other news...

Bunk Fluke 189 was delivered today; refund is in my account. Finished my list of local pawn shops; almost bought a rebranded Vici VC97 for $15, but decided I'd rather spend the extra 15 for a new V99. Otherwise, nothing better than that 179 for $220. I must have lost my mind; I'm seriously considering going back there after the 1st, when it supposedly will drop to $180.  :palm:

mnem
now what?
Don't buy either the VC97 or the VC99, I have a VC97 and Joe has tested a VC99. put that money into that Brymen 867, honestly it way way better then you perceive it to be.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: hoglet

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13507 on: July 21, 2018, 08:48:14 am »
I'm sure most of us know about using Gurgle's " site: " search algorithm to find things on EEVblog; however I just found something I didn't know: You can actually dial in some pretty fine granularity; it is possible to search individual subforums here as well. Not only that; you do NOT have to enter a search query!

THIS:

site:www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/

will return a listing of posts on our thread. If you then click on the [Images] radio button, you can scroll through all images uploaded to our thread, sorted similarly.

If you then add a search query, you can find images posted to our forum associated with that term, like so:

454 site:www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/

I was able to find the pic (and the post) where I originally offered my free Tekittens to a good home within the first few dozen hits; I had tried repeatedly using the EEVblog site advanced search with no joy.

Yep, that's the only way to fly search the forum (and other sites). If you leave off the www subdomain, you can broaden a search to all subdomains of a second-level domain.
Yep, but the photos are random ones, there are many others that don't selected, or the ones that do, are they the ones hosted on other sites rather than direct posts?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #13508 on: July 21, 2018, 08:54:55 am »
Don't buy either the VC97 or the VC99, I have a VC97 and Joe has tested a VC99. put that money into that Brymen 867, honestly it way way better then you perceive it to be.
I've had a VC99 for years but I know its place......away from anything high energy !

I still use it regularly for checking transistor Hfe and finding a match.
It was my first step from the really  el cheapo DMMs.
IIRC it cost me $30. They're OK but nothing flash.
Fluke 15B is my daily driver now.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13509 on: July 21, 2018, 09:07:54 am »
I've had a VC99 for years but I know its place......away from anything high energy !

I still use it regularly for checking transistor Hfe and finding a match.
It was my first step from the really  el cheapo DMMs.
IIRC it cost me $30. They're OK but nothing flash.
Fluke 15B is my daily driver now.
Mine has not been near high energy but the DCV often throws errors and so is totally unreliable. I keep it for continuity testing and resistance but I use the 867 now. I think if I don't throw it in the bin, I may just keep for temperature measurements only.

I honestly regret buying the heap of crap, if only then I knew what I do now. I don't need a transistor checker, already have a good one on my Robin OM840 and it's a 4.5 digit meter but manual ranger. I've had it for almost 20 years and is totally reliable

My daily driver is the Brymen 867 and if I need to measure other points at the same time, Fluke 27(s) and Bside Adm08A (manual ranger).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 09:14:02 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13510 on: July 21, 2018, 09:13:19 am »
Cheap meters belong in the car :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13511 on: July 21, 2018, 09:23:34 am »
My car doesn't need a meter yet 🤣
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13512 on: July 21, 2018, 09:47:28 am »
The one time I said that it did need one. Lost heating going up the A14 in the dark on the coldest night for a long time (-10).  The car in question was a hired Citroen c3 and there were no fuse positions marked in it.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #13513 on: July 21, 2018, 11:34:25 am »

Yeah, well...  I checked my cheap car DMM yesterday....

Still works fine   :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13514 on: July 21, 2018, 12:21:40 pm »
Doh!   :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13515 on: July 21, 2018, 01:41:50 pm »

Yeh well there's cheap and then there's cheap cheap
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #13516 on: July 21, 2018, 01:44:19 pm »
That's why I was able to laugh when I saw it.

The fact that it still worked was a bonus.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #13517 on: July 21, 2018, 02:01:02 pm »

Crispy. Stick a fork in it. It's done!  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13518 on: July 21, 2018, 05:17:56 pm »

Of course it still works, it's robust!  ;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13519 on: July 21, 2018, 05:25:39 pm »

THIS:

Yep, but the photos are random ones, there are many others that don't selected, or the ones that do, are they the ones hosted on other sites rather than direct posts?

It's whatever has been indexed. I see examples of both attached images and externally hosted ones. If you don't enter a query string, then you'll see images in whatever order is the default. If you do put a word or three, then the top images will be those with the matching search terms on the page (not just the particular post in which the image appeared), image title, maybe the image filename.

Here's an example that pulls up the image attachments of URI's post about his Oltronix B300D units as the first two hits on the Images tab (or the row of images at the top of regular search results).

oltronix site:www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13520 on: July 21, 2018, 05:27:21 pm »

Nice! They made their front-panel stickers with left over heatshrink material. :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13521 on: July 21, 2018, 05:36:30 pm »
Future reference: never sit and watch a 1pps GPSDO lock. It had taken two hours so far for the damn thing to converge. Phase difference was 40ms.

Next time buy a 10Khz module!

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #13522 on: July 21, 2018, 05:55:42 pm »
Future reference: never sit and watch a 1pps GPSDO lock. It had taken two hours so far for the damn thing to converge. Phase difference was 40ms.

Next time buy a 10Khz module!

Wait till you have more than one ...  :scared:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13523 on: July 21, 2018, 06:00:34 pm »
It’s the old saying. A man with two watches... error two GPSDO’s knows what time it is but you’ll have to wait a few hours  :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #13524 on: July 21, 2018, 06:42:24 pm »
Yeh well there's cheap and then there's cheap cheap

And then there's "chirpy chirpy cheap cheap".

Those of a certain age who understand that reference, will groan. For those who don't understand, simply be glad I'm not explaining :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf