Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14815860 times)

mianos, doktor pyta and 103 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #14775 on: August 17, 2018, 04:39:05 pm »
 :-+

*Looking at all those red & blue cherry bombs on that vertical board*

You plan to do a pre-emptive strike on those, or just gonna use it until they go off?

mnem
"If it doesn't work, fix it. if it does work, we'll soon fix that."~ Marc Andreessen
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #14776 on: August 17, 2018, 04:43:11 pm »

You plan to do a pre-emptive strike on those, or just gonna use it until they go off?

mnem
"If it doesn't work, fix it. if it does work, we'll soon fix that."~ Marc Andreessen

Undecided but I'm leaning towards run to fail. That's another thing about the 465B....I think it has half the tants of the 465.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14777 on: August 17, 2018, 06:36:25 pm »

mnem
Undecided but I'm leaning towards run to fail. That's another thing about the 465B....I think it has half the tants of the 465.
There has GOT to be a pervy joke in there somewhere... it just sounds dirty.

Damn... my dirty mind must've gone on walkabout; I got NUTHIN'.  :-DD

mnem
"I appear to have lost my mind; if you find it, back away slowly and DO NOT HANDLE IT. It is deranged and extremely dirty."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 06:55:21 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14778 on: August 17, 2018, 06:54:37 pm »
Hope springs infernal. Bitseeker... he's so far behind, the light from merely behind will take 1000 years to reach him.

LOL! I might find a wormhole behind my bench one day. That could be useful. Pat, on the other hand, might create one if some of those boat anchors decide to end it by jumping off a shelf.

Random Mode...

It's ba-a-ack... and it's electric.
Yeah, saw that. Is it a bit better looking than the Isetta? At least it's got 33% more traction. Having to parallel park it on a congested street may not be ideal for getting in and out of the cockpit.
"Boat Anchors jumping off the shelf" is covered under  "terminal gravity dislocation disorder"...  :-DD

It looks somewhat modernized, but I like that they at least TRIED to keep the "Punky Brewster" heart and soul of the original. If they raise the ground clearance a little so it can pull right up with the front tires against the curb, you could park it exactly the way they have it in the picture, even in compact car spaces. Back when full-size parking spaces still roamed the earth, I used to park my Honda N600 that way from time to time.

mnem
I am not my tants. No, I am not your tants either.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 07:07:37 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: mahi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #14779 on: August 17, 2018, 07:23:30 pm »
Here's all the goodies that were in the 465B scope bag after I sorted and tossed the pure junk. Pretty good haul. There's a Tek P6105 & P6108 scope probe. And a rare Tek P6430 temperature probe specifically for the DM44. It plugs into that special socket next to the banana jacks. But unfortunately it does not work. I have the manual so there's hope maybe I can fix it but it does use an active component which I'm sure is unobtanium. We'll see.

And reads only in Celsius. Booooooooooooo!   :-- :-- :-DD :P

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14780 on: August 17, 2018, 07:29:00 pm »
Here's all the goodies that were in the 465B scope bag after I sorted and tossed the pure junk. Pretty good haul. There's a Tek P6105 & P6108 scope probe. And a rare Tek P6430 temperature probe specifically for the DM44. It plugs into that special socket next to the banana jacks. But unfortunately it does not work. I have the manual so there's hope maybe I can fix it but it does use an active component which I'm sure is unobtanium. We'll see.

And reads only in Celsius. Booooooooooooo!   :-- :-- :-DD [emoji14]

Not bad, you did well with this one and the other one played its part in the end so that came right after all.[emoji106]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14781 on: August 17, 2018, 07:46:47 pm »
   And reads only in Celsius. Booooooooooooo!   :-- :-- :-DD :P 
Yeah... that's we've been waiting for. The WEIRD shit that's been tagging along with this scope since the dawn of time.  :-DD

I find it hard to believe that if you have a working circuit in the DM44, that you can't start with something like an LM35, TMP36 or LMT84 and modify such that it READS in degrees F. Just depends on whether you need a positive/negative only scale or +/0/- scale on your output.

mnem
*A few degrees south*

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14782 on: August 17, 2018, 07:56:30 pm »
   And reads only in Celsius. Booooooooooooo!   :-- :-- :-DD [emoji14] 
Yeah... that's we've been waiting for. The WEIRD shit that's been tagging along with this scope since the dawn of time.  :-DD

I find it hard to believe that if you have a working circuit in the DM44, that you can't start with something like an LM35, TMP36 or LMT84 and modify such that it READS in degrees F. Just depends on whether you need a positive/negative only scale or +/0/- scale on your output.

mnem
*A few degrees south*
I don't see what fuss is, it's dead easy to convert a reading of C to F, if you need to Google foo is your friend here.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #14783 on: August 17, 2018, 08:01:22 pm »
I don't have to convert. I don't have to build up anything. I don't have to do jack shit.

I'll just use the 2465 DMS instead.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14784 on: August 17, 2018, 08:19:08 pm »
LOL... well, I guess that all depends on how much it bugs you to have stuff lying around that only half works. It niggles at me like a loose tooth; in fact, I had a good conversation with Specmaster on the subject as we were discussing the pros and cons of the 8840A vs the AF.

mnem
"Any day you learn something has not been wasted." ~ grandfather

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14785 on: August 17, 2018, 09:24:40 pm »
LOL... well, I guess that all depends on how much it bugs you to have stuff lying around that only half works. It niggles at me like a loose tooth; in fact, I had a good conversation with Specmaster on the subject as we were discussing the pros and cons of the 8840A vs the AF.

mnem
"Any day you learn something has not been wasted." ~ grandfather
Speaking of which, I have just been informed that my 8840A has now left the GSP Centre at Erlanger so I presume that it is now at the airport awaiting a flight.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14786 on: August 17, 2018, 09:48:35 pm »
Making the world a better place...

...one fuckwit at a time.

mnem
Try me.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #14787 on: August 17, 2018, 09:54:18 pm »
Yeah its nice but isn't Morse code dead and buried, thought that went out with the second world war and voice was the in thing in radio?

It was funny when the FCC dropped code here in the US, the crusty greybeards of ham radio bemoaned that the hobby was going to hell and die.  By the way, I am a crusty greybeard, just not of ham radio.  I have only been licensed for 19 years, still wet behind the ears to some and I am a 'low code' Extra. :-DD  What actually seems to have happened is there is a bit of resurgence of code because now people don't have to learn it so people are learning it because they want to.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14788 on: August 17, 2018, 10:07:29 pm »

brown, green, black, violet South Winding Road... "

don't remember what that means.  (or maybe never knew)

is it like "Bell Operators Give Better …….Service"?    (blue, orange, green, brown, slate)
free range primate

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #14789 on: August 17, 2018, 10:37:55 pm »
Well done indeed. Looks spot on.

I much prefer the 465B's to the original 465's if I have to fix one :D

Based upon what I've seen so far the 465B is MUCH easier to service.

Yeah, sure looks that way. Good to know. Nice job, med!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #14790 on: August 17, 2018, 10:41:15 pm »
Random Mode...

It's ba-a-ack... and it's electric.
Yeah, saw that. Is it a bit better looking than the Isetta? At least it's got 33% more traction. Having to parallel park it on a congested street may not be ideal for getting in and out of the cockpit.

It looks somewhat modernized, but I like that they at least TRIED to keep the "Punky Brewster" heart and soul of the original. If they raise the ground clearance a little so it can pull right up with the front tires against the curb, you could park it exactly the way they have it in the picture, even in compact car spaces. Back when full-size parking spaces still roamed the earth, I used to park my Honda N600 that way from time to time.

Yeah, front-in would be ideal for getting in and out of it.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14791 on: August 17, 2018, 10:46:28 pm »
@mnem: nice one :-+ . If you don't tell them, they don't learn, and if they don't learn when you tell 'em then all bets are off  >:D

Yeah its nice but isn't Morse code dead and buried, thought that went out with the second world war and voice was the in thing in radio?

It was funny when the FCC dropped code here in the US, the crusty greybeards of ham radio bemoaned that the hobby was going to hell and die.  By the way, I am a crusty greybeard, just not of ham radio.  I have only been licensed for 19 years, still wet behind the ears to some and I am a 'low code' Extra. :-DD  What actually seems to have happened is there is a bit of resurgence of code because now people don't have to learn it so people are learning it because they want to.

I wrote a big rant here about hams but by the time I'd got to the end of it the buzz from the earlier pub visit had worn off so I'm going to leave it as a simple comment: hell yes, exactly this. This is a hobby. It's all about want to.

Oh no wait, anger building, here we go again...

The big issue I found is more that there is a social divide which is basically "masonic style fraternity" and "people interested in radio technology". There's a lot of gatekeeping from the self-entitled fraternities which is what you see at the moment. It's 10x worse in person than it is on QRZ as well. I can't bear spending time in a club or talking to people on air really as it's the technology that interests me. Perhaps a stupid thing to get into? Well no because there's FT8, WSPR and CW among other modes I haven't investigated yet. CW is kept short and to the point. No MAGA vs RSGB hat discussions, no "who fell off a ladder this week" on the local repeater, no shouty Italians with 1Kw burners, just experiment and test (and play with TEA gear in the process). That's the good life. It brings purpose to TEA acquisitions as well rather than collect and clean. And it's all because I want to do it :)

But I didn't want to start with a massive barrier to entry which CW was and still would be to most people. So yes GreyWoolfe is right on the mark there.

Random thing. When I get a 3d printer one day, this is print #1:

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #14792 on: August 17, 2018, 10:52:49 pm »

Missing three fingers !
If you're gunna give someone the 'bird' why not all eight ?

A interesting variant might be with penis fingers.............I'll get my hat and coat.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14793 on: August 17, 2018, 11:05:41 pm »
That'd be an interesting evening downloading 3d dicks and trying to stick them on an octopus  :-DD

Edit: that sentence has probably never been said in the history of time and never will be again.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14794 on: August 17, 2018, 11:11:40 pm »

Missing three fingers !
If you're gunna give someone the 'bird' why not all eight ?

A interesting variant might be with penis fingers.............I'll get my hat and coat.
Is it time to put on the tin hats and batten down the hatches? [emoji6]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14795 on: August 17, 2018, 11:21:36 pm »
That'd be an interesting evening downloading 3d dicks and trying to stick them on an octopus  :-DD

Edit: that sentence has probably never been said in the history of time and never will be again.

I found the fucktopus on thingiverse... however, I also stumbled across this on the way there... bloody brilliant.

@mnem: nice one :-+ . If you don't tell them, they don't learn, and if they don't learn when you tell 'em then all bets are off  >:D
I have 3D printer upgrades and my 189 "Out for Delivery" today. If Capt. Fuckwit prevents delivery, I AM gonna have his silver douchemobile towed.

mnem
Decisions, decisions.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14796 on: August 17, 2018, 11:39:42 pm »

I don't know. I'd hazard a guess that it's been said in 日本語 in the midst of some strange manga-tentacle-sex fantasy comic book.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14797 on: August 17, 2018, 11:49:38 pm »

SQWEEEEE!

Packages delivered. Fuckwit's gone. I think my wife scared him off.

I am showing incredible restraint by posting this pic BEFORE tearing it open... g'bye now!!!

mnem
 :scared:

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #14798 on: August 17, 2018, 11:54:40 pm »
... and you can be sure USPS handled it with care - because that what the tape says to do.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14799 on: August 17, 2018, 11:58:15 pm »

SQWEEEEE!

Packages delivered. Fuckwit's gone. I think my wife scared him off.

I am showing incredible restraint by posting this pic BEFORE tearing it open... g'bye now!!!

mnem
 :scared:
Cool, tell us how it was packed, mine has now been shipped from GSP to international destination so hopefully it'll get here quicker than forecast, 🤞
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf