Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14813756 times)

Peter_O, Wolfgang and 113 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #14926 on: August 20, 2018, 06:27:45 am »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332771528056

That's really cool, but alas (or should that be 'fortunately'?) not $150 + $70 shipping cool...

I concur 100%. However, once the price starts dropping, it'll be a "who's gonna flinch first" situation. A TEA stand-off of sorts. ;D

Do ya feel lucky?

TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14927 on: August 20, 2018, 06:44:36 am »

That's really cool, but alas (or should that be 'fortunately'?) not $150 + $70 shipping cool...

I concur 100%. However, once the price starts dropping, it'll be a "who's gonna flinch first" situation. A TEA stand-off of sorts. ;D

Do ya feel lucky?

Or of course, and is more likely to be the case, some upstart with no connection to TEA will steam in and snatch it from under your noses. Old TEA proverb "He who hesitates looses" [emoji41]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #14928 on: August 20, 2018, 07:06:29 am »

Do ya feel lucky?

Or of course, and is more likely to be the case, some upstart with no connection to TEA will steam in and snatch it from under your noses. Old TEA proverb "He who hesitates looses" [emoji41]

But also saves...  It's a strange dichotomy...  $, or techie bits?  And the quandary is blow the $ on the current offering?   :-//  Or wait for a potentially more tempting offering down the road.   <edit to add - or save a bunch more and blow it on a model 29?  >:D

|O  Ahh, if only the $$$ wasn't a finite resource... :palm:

-Pat
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 07:15:05 am by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #14929 on: August 20, 2018, 07:18:20 am »
You. In here.  :-DD

mnem
Truth. *chest thump*

:-[

mnem
 ;)

Yes, sorry.  Thank you.   :-+

I forgot where I was for a moment.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #14930 on: August 20, 2018, 10:53:33 am »

However...
Some are crazier than others....
Sue AF6LJ

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14931 on: August 20, 2018, 11:04:27 am »
just went down the basement to see if any of my HP counters had mutated.

HOLY SHITBALLS!

those damn GMO bastards must have infected one of my 5245s.

but now it only has 7 digits and that funky units tube.

ps  its pretty bad when you don't even know kinda shit you have hidden away from swmbo till you go looking.

pps  that Ballantine is looking even better to me now.
free range primate

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #14932 on: August 20, 2018, 11:10:04 am »
Volt nuttery and TEA - and a slight OCD tendency to like having sets of complimentary gear, "forced " me to get a Fluke Lead Compensator 721A, to go with the 720A KVD  and 845AR Null voltmeter :scared:
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14933 on: August 20, 2018, 11:40:19 am »
How far does that voltnuttery go, shouldn't you be getting a compensator for the Fluke Lead Compensator 721A  :-DD :-DD :-DD

You have to draw a line in the sand somewhere otherwise you can keep going and for what at the end of all? is anything that critical that a microvolt over / under would kill it stone dead?   :-// :-// :-// :-// :-// :-// :-// :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14934 on: August 20, 2018, 11:48:18 am »

However...
:-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14935 on: August 20, 2018, 12:23:18 pm »
How far does that voltnuttery go, shouldn't you be getting a compensator for the Fluke Lead Compensator 721A  :-DD :-DD :-DD

You have to draw a line in the sand somewhere otherwise you can keep going and for what at the end of all? is anything that critical that a microvolt over / under would kill it stone dead?   :-// :-// :-// :-// :-// :-// :-// :-//

Its not about needing to know it down to a microvolt, but it is fun to know.

Do i absolutely need my Keyithley electrometer that goes from 20mA down to a 2pA rage? Proabobly not but its cool as heck to watch it showing current with 100 attoamp resolution. When is the last time used the prefix atto because even using femto was too big! ;D

EDIT: By the way 100 attoamps is about 600 electrons per second. So the thing might as well be called a electron counter.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 12:26:36 pm by Berni »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14936 on: August 20, 2018, 12:30:11 pm »
His store motto is "From my basement to yours: If you don't need it, I HAVE IT!!!" I wanna support him just for THAT!  :-DD

I am like that....  far too much for my own health.
There... fixed that for you.  :-DD

Who have you been talking to?!!   >:(
You. In here.  :-DD

mnem
Truth. *chest thump*

:-[

mnem
 ;)

Yes, sorry.  Thank you.   :-+

I forgot where I was for a moment.
That's what the brotherhood is for.  :-+

mnem
Here, have a taco. They're good for your soul.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #14937 on: August 20, 2018, 12:34:15 pm »
Volt nuttery and TEA - and a slight OCD tendency to like having sets of complimentary gear, "forced " me to get a Fluke Lead Compensator 721A, to go with the 720A KVD  and 845AR Null voltmeter :scared:

I think for TEA it may be better for us to just add up the poundage of all your equipment and present the number rather than show pics of it all LOL.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14938 on: August 20, 2018, 12:36:17 pm »
Quote from: mnementh
However...
And that's why we're all here; drawn inexorably by the overwhelming allure of the TEA.

mnem
Just like all the nuts roll downhill to Florida.  :-DD
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 01:33:44 pm by mnementh »

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14939 on: August 20, 2018, 12:40:40 pm »
Oh no no the pictures are very important so that others can see what it is and type it into google and ebay.

Your darn ebay links already made me buy stuff.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14940 on: August 20, 2018, 12:46:06 pm »
This thread needs a disclaimer. It's not a self-help group  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14941 on: August 20, 2018, 01:54:16 pm »
This thread needs a disclaimer. It's not a self-help group  :-DD

https://youtu.be/Eh4f8SUp-PU

I think that's been done before...  and a lot better than anyone here can realize. :-DD

mnem
“I’m bad. And that’s good.
I will never be good. And that’s not bad.
There’s no one I’d rather be than me.” ~ Bad-Anon Affirmation

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14942 on: August 20, 2018, 02:02:40 pm »

just went down the basement to see if any of my HP counters had mutated.

HOLY SHITBALLS!

those damn GMO bastards must have infected one of my 5245s.

but now it only has 7 digits and that funky units tube.

ps  its pretty bad when you don't even know kinda shit you have hidden away from swmbo till you go looking.

pps  that Ballantine is looking even better to me now.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

'The neutrinos have mutated.'

No, now you need to stalk them BOTH.  >:D One for GMO, one for Neonicotinids, and one for Glyphosates; then you'll have the Monsanto-Bayer merger in a nutshell.
Also, you'll make double damn-sure that pesky helium-nitrided workbench plating doesn't float away.  :-DD

I blame the mutant neutrinos in your sig.  :bullshit:

mnem
*agitating-ily*
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 02:40:08 pm by mnementh »

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14943 on: August 20, 2018, 02:57:52 pm »
this goofy irish dentist cracks me up.

you need to go about 3:30 in to see where my favorite line is stolen from.

free range primate

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #14944 on: August 20, 2018, 03:39:49 pm »
In other news...going to have to temper the TEA spending for a while. The Honduh CR-V took a flat tire. And it's not repairable. The tires are just about down to the wear marks anyway but I had hoped to get a few more months out of them before replacing. But that suddenly became now. So the wallet just took a big hit. Tires are on order and should be delivered Tuesday. The UPS guy is gonna hate me because he'll be jackassing 4 tires.

For the guys in the USA.....Tire Rack is my go to source. Decent prices and free shipping. And no bullshit add on taxes and fees. The quoted price per tire is what you pay. But going this method is a little inconvenient because now I have to take them to a shop and pay to have them installed.
I just looked at their prices, and whoa... you REALLY need to look into Discount Tire. Everything they say is "Free"... you're DEFINITELY paying for it. And THEN paying someone else to install them, and THEN the headache of self-administration of your certs. Yeeeowwwch.

mnem
Regular Show... *brrrrowwwwwrrrrrowwwwwrrrrrrnnnn*

Same thing here.  But on both vehicles.  Thankfully, Mrs. GreyWoolfe's daughters treated her car to tires.  And road hazard warranty.  She has the low profile speed rated tires on her Sonata.  They had it done at Discount Tire.  We even get free lifetime rotation so I don't have to do it.

We had to pay for my  Ram Tradesman cargo van Saturday.  On the way out of the driveway and discovered a flat tire.  F*#Kin nimrods that don't torque tires properly and just keep hammering at the lug nuts with their air gun until the metal surfaces are all but welded together.  It took an 18" socket wrench with a 4 foot piece of pipe to make a big breaker bar to get them off.  Since all tires were pretty worn and we are going to Texas with it next month, we replaced them all.

I'm with mnem.  Get them locally and have them covered and taken care of locally.  I no longer have the patience.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14945 on: August 20, 2018, 03:40:45 pm »
this goofy irish dentist cracks me up.

you need to go about 3:30 in to see where my favorite line is stolen from.

"The electrons are ANGRY..."   :-DD

mnem

But wait... we know that electrons ARE lazy... 

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14946 on: August 20, 2018, 06:40:52 pm »
ballantine?  my old man drank their beer up until they stopped brewing the swill.

I want it, BUT...…….my hp counters might revolt.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ballantine-Laboratories-Digital-Frequency-Counter-Model-5700A/183383140011?hash=item2ab27ca6ab:g:dEUAAOSwcWpbdfqG

LOL - that's sorely tempting.   :-X  Must resist - I have too damned much stuff now!!

-Pat

you would be doing a good deed, and stop me jonesing for the damn ugly thing.

its got 9 (count 'em 9) digits.  none of my orange glowing hp units have 9.

come on man.....have pity.  buy it and stop me from going back to look again and again.

its making me itch all over!

You need to find a 5360A counter (11 or 12 orange glowy digits?), I regret not bidding on one a few years ago that made very little, having said that it looks very complex if it goes wrong and has a special rats-nest wiring loom inside;

https://pmanning.smugmug.com/Electronics/HP-5360A-Computing-Counter

David

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #14947 on: August 20, 2018, 06:53:48 pm »
You need to find a 5360A counter (11 or 12 orange glowy digits?), I regret not bidding on one a few years ago that made very little, having said that it looks very complex if it goes wrong and has a special rats-nest wiring loom inside;

https://pmanning.smugmug.com/Electronics/HP-5360A-Computing-Counter

David

A dozen glowy digits.  I STILL haven't ventured into THAT monster yet.  <picture a 'hiding behind the sofa' smiley here>

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14948 on: August 20, 2018, 08:03:06 pm »
I think Ebay buyers who don't leave feedback ought to be banned, I'm getting sick of the bastards, their quick in sending you derisory offers, asking that you take extra care when packing the item etc and then, once delivered all safe and sound they to ground and if you email them and ask them to leave you feedback so that you may leave them some as well, and what do they do? they ignore your request  :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline orin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14949 on: August 20, 2018, 08:45:47 pm »
In other news...going to have to temper the TEA spending for a while. The Honduh CR-V took a flat tire. And it's not repairable. The tires are just about down to the wear marks anyway but I had hoped to get a few more months out of them before replacing. But that suddenly became now. So the wallet just took a big hit. Tires are on order and should be delivered Tuesday. The UPS guy is gonna hate me because he'll be jackassing 4 tires.

For the guys in the USA.....Tire Rack is my go to source. Decent prices and free shipping. And no bullshit add on taxes and fees. The quoted price per tire is what you pay. But going this method is a little inconvenient because now I have to take them to a shop and pay to have them installed.
I just looked at their prices, and whoa... you REALLY need to look into Discount Tire. Everything they say is "Free"... you're DEFINITELY paying for it. And THEN paying someone else to install them, and THEN the headache of self-administration of your certs. Yeeeowwwch.

mnem
Regular Show... *brrrrowwwwwrrrrrowwwwwrrrrrrnnnn*

Same thing here.  But on both vehicles.  Thankfully, Mrs. GreyWoolfe's daughters treated her car to tires.  And road hazard warranty.  She has the low profile speed rated tires on her Sonata.  They had it done at Discount Tire.  We even get free lifetime rotation so I don't have to do it.

When I bought a new (used) car a few years back, it had one tire that had a sidewall cut - and came with the Discount Tire certificates.  To my surprise, they happily replaced the $200 tire, saying the certificates went with the car, not the purchaser of the certificates.

They also seem to be reasonably competent...  When I had them switch to my winter wheels/tires, they said I'd need new lug bolts when switching back because the original owner had used the wrong bolts for his fancy summer wheels.  (Needed conical instead of ball seat on the bolt.)  Their only failure was that they didn't try to sell me a set on the spot in case I switched them back myself.

I like to wait for their 'promotions' when a tire purchase is looming - 6 months interest free and something like $135 rebate on the last set I bought.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf