Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14829526 times)

wkb and 138 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #15025 on: August 21, 2018, 09:02:29 pm »
Ah, my HP 6114A arrived and I got it after paying 19% customs fee for it (gnaah: price plus shipping * 19%  :palm:)!

But then:
The seller really did an excellent job packaging it padded into a card box package and again fully padded into another card box package -like a stacking doll.  :-+

Here are some pictures of it:
1. Outer card box: beaten up a little bit, rounded corners, the card box is somewhat soft.

2. Inner card box: unhurt, completely padded with 3cm of convoluted foam.

3. Power supply: wrapped in pvc foam film..

4. Power supply, detail: the front is padded with extra 5cm of foam!

The 6114A itself is much younger than my first one still in repair/restauration, but a bit out of cal. Nothing severe.
It's currently under load test and not getting hot -it's stable as a rock.  :)

My 3457A shows ca. 0.2mV AC at 19.9V@2A -but I'm not sure if that's measured correctly.   :-DMM
What this states is, that -unlike my first 6114A there are probably no dead filter caps. But I will check that later on.

I'm happy with it!  :-+
Now I think of a switch box to choose different modes to run both 6114A in -separated or in different coupled modes without the need for rewiring between different modes.. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:04:18 pm by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15026 on: August 21, 2018, 09:06:21 pm »
Excellent packaging. nice to see that  :-+

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15027 on: August 21, 2018, 09:10:22 pm »

Yeah, better than my two beat up 8110As with lacking padding in a way the front panels mounting point broke..   :palm:
All sellers on ebay should take the packaging of this 6114A as an ideal.  :-+ edit: ..and follow it!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:42:14 pm by URI »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #15028 on: August 21, 2018, 09:13:09 pm »
It's 2014 model pre-cactus WTF which is better IMHO. Also cheaper as someone else paid for the instant depreciation and worked all the bugs out.

Plate obscured due to google's text recognition on images.

Did I just see a Toyota with eyelashes?

Oh, that just looks like the 500 got it on with a Ford Focus.... much less disturbing.  :-DD

Yes you did; that was mischief time with the wife's new car.  >:D

mnem
She took it out of my hide later.  :P
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15029 on: August 21, 2018, 09:15:30 pm »

Yeah, better the my two beat up 8110As with lacking padding in a way the front panels mounting point broke..   :palm:
The packaging of this 6114A all sellers on ebay should take as an ideal.  :-+
Yes, excellent packing... if you can't get foam-in-place, that's for sure a close second and probably as good as you can possibly get from recycled packaging.

mnem
Forklift Football, anyone?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15030 on: August 21, 2018, 09:17:26 pm »
It's 2014 model pre-cactus WTF which is better IMHO. Also cheaper as someone else paid for the instant depreciation and worked all the bugs out.

Oh yes thats so much better  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15031 on: August 21, 2018, 09:23:32 pm »
My HP 4260A instrument feet (for my first 6114A lacking original feet) has have reached Erlanger...

impatiently waiting..

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15032 on: August 21, 2018, 09:55:46 pm »
I think we need a test gear chiropodist. The most common problem I find with test gear is foot problems :D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15033 on: August 21, 2018, 10:09:58 pm »
I think we need a test gear chiropodist. The most common problem I find with test gear is foot problems :D
:-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15034 on: August 21, 2018, 10:27:01 pm »

So true.
But what about the also likewise frequent occurrence of front plate face problems..?   :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15035 on: August 21, 2018, 10:28:33 pm »
Well on the front side of things it's always knobs. Not sure what doctor deals with them  :-DD

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #15036 on: August 21, 2018, 10:29:29 pm »
Sheesh, the subject of feet came up only a couple of weeks back and I dropped a link to a thread then and mnem gave us more from thingyverse...or whatever.

This guy posted that he does a lot of the Tek ones and I asked him when he joined if he'd do HP and others. Yeah he will.
Here's his site:
https://www.n0dy.com/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15037 on: August 21, 2018, 10:31:19 pm »
Ah yes I remember that. Wonder if i'll need a set for this 465. Shockingly the last 3 of the 4xx scopes I've had actually had complete feet!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15038 on: August 21, 2018, 10:42:55 pm »
Well on the front side of things it's always knobs. Not sure what doctor deals with them  :-DD

Urologist...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #15039 on: August 22, 2018, 12:17:15 am »
That’s what I told SWMBO  :-DD

As advertised. Focus knob is cracked which is suspect and missing bezel around beam finder switch but that's it and it comes with three probes and a bag of shite.

Nice score......hopefully it's in better shape than my infamous 465....which now sits tucked in a closet stripped of some parts.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #15040 on: August 22, 2018, 12:19:36 am »

Oh yes thats so much better  :-+

I'm sorry, if there's one thing the French CANNOT do is design a decent looking car. They always look freaking weird.  :--

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #15041 on: August 22, 2018, 12:22:42 am »

Yeah, better than my two beat up 8110As with lacking padding in a way the front panels mounting point broke..   :palm:
All sellers on ebay should take the packaging of this 6114A as an ideal.  :-+ edit: ..and follow it!

Agreed, excellent packaging.

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #15042 on: August 22, 2018, 02:39:44 am »
Here's a TEA question.   Have any of you had a piece of test equipment stop working, so you think "If I had a manual maybe it would have some servicing information and I could fix this thing."  So you get on the computer and fire up your favorite search engine, and after some searching consider yourself lucky to have found a PDF of the manual online.  So you save the PDF and look at it a bit and figure that's good enough for today.  Later I'll dig into it and fix the piece of test equipment.

The next day you go back to the lab and see that you had a manual all along.  A real physical copy, sitting on the shelf a few feet from the piece of test equipment, and only a couple feet from where you were sitting while searching for the manual online...

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #15043 on: August 22, 2018, 03:22:21 am »
Tea has to be one of the best threads if not the best thread on this forum, now that we are officially 600 pages long, how does that stack against other threads? Surely there can't be another with such a meteoric rise as this one?

You can find some forum stats and top-lists at https://www.eevblog.com/forum/stats/

• This thread has been #1 in replies for a while now. Amazing level of engagement!
  • By views, we're not in the top-10 yet. Current count is approximately 614K. But it's a young thread. #9 and #10 are from 2010 and 2013, respectively. TEA started last year.

Bitseeker, did you ever in your wildest dreams think that it would take of like the sky rocket it is? You have created a true monster here  :-+

There's no way I could have known that reception would be as good as it has been. Of course, the concept was born a bit tongue-in-cheek. Little did I know it would resonate with so many, partly because of the light-hearted humor, but also because there's a bit of truth to it that folks can identify with.

Really, it's all thanks to you, the poor similarly infected souls who keep coming back for more. Also, thanks to Dave for building the overall community. Without it, it's unlikely we'd all run into one another.

I've had some successes building online communities over the years, including one that was infiltrated twice by people who either wanted to take over or sabotage what we built. You just never know what will happen.

TEA, on the other hand, just exploded. Pretty amazing.

Edit, just checked and I've been here for 517 pages and so far it's been nothing short of a hoot and pure delight, what a great of bunch girls and guys we have here. I'm proud to say that I'm a part of this wonderful group and culture we have and my TEA is not showing any signs of being cured even though I'm having a bit of a cull, just getting ready for even more items in need of some TLC and given a new lease of life. :-DD

I guess that makes you certifiable — a long term case. Glad you found a room in the TEA house that you like and a bench that fits.

And don't worry about the intermittent culling behavior. It will pass. (More accurately, it creates a void that TEA will fill.) :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15044 on: August 22, 2018, 03:32:25 am »
In my defense, I did just today take a box with 2 PT Cruiser headlights and another with three 6-foot-long plush trouts to the Goodwill.  :-DD

mnem
Fishy dreams!

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #15045 on: August 22, 2018, 03:34:30 am »
Hahaha. Close. Citroen C3. Rationale is I can drive it around the city, which I do regularly, without getting buggered for ULEZ charge. Unfortunately it can only gobble up a few bits of kit.

In these situations, you only need a seat for the driver.  Take out the rest.   >:D

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #15046 on: August 22, 2018, 03:36:42 am »
I've had some successes building online communities over the years, including one that was infiltrated twice by people who either wanted to take over or sabotage what we built. You just never know what will happen.

Well if this forum goes defunct, we'll follow you to our new home - The Test Equipment Anonymous Forum.  ;)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15047 on: August 22, 2018, 03:39:28 am »
Ah, my HP 6114A arrived and I got it after paying 19% customs fee for it (gnaah: price plus shipping * 19%  :palm:)!

But then:
The seller really did an excellent job packaging it padded into a card box package and again fully padded into another card box package -like a stacking doll.  :-+

Outstanding packing job! Congrats on the safe arrival.

Now I think of a switch box to choose different modes to run both 6114A in -separated or in different coupled modes without the need for rewiring between different modes..

That'd be neat. I look forward to seeing it.

My HP 4260A instrument feet (for my first 6114A lacking original feet) has have reached Erlanger...

impatiently waiting..

Haha, yes. The foot-donor. I can't wait to see what that 4260A can do.

But what about the also likewise frequent occurrence of front plate face problems..?   :-DD

Hmm, it may be time to become a TEA plastic surgeon.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15048 on: August 22, 2018, 03:39:56 am »

Well if this forum goes defunct, we'll follow you to our new home - The Test Equipment Anonymous Forum.  ;)
Yeah, no matter what you do, you're stuck with us now...  :-DD

mnem
Stalk you later!  ;)

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15049 on: August 22, 2018, 03:42:08 am »

Hehe. So far, self-regulation is working a treat (it's an electronics forum afterall, har har). Full speed ahead!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf